Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP StamDK: Nirnhoned or Sharpened 2h?

Vermethys
Vermethys
✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

I recently started playing my PvE Tank as a StamDK in PvP (no-cp and BGs), and it has honestly been working wonders compared to what I used to play (MagSorc and MagNB). I run a pretty basic set-up of 2x Bloodspawn, 5x Werewolf Hide, 5x Seventh Legion (2h axe front and back-bar S&B); 5 heavy, 2 medium. On the front I use a sharpened 2h axe with a shock enchant (for proccing concussion and bleed) and on the back-bar I use a nirnhoned 1h with a poison enchant. My Mundus is also the Serpent because I found it hard to sustain without it.

Considering that I'm playing only no-cp (no external penetration aside from Pierce Armor on my S&B bar), should I go with sharpened or nirnhoned on my 2h bar?
Right now, I feel that I hit hard enough on my 2h bar (with Executioner hitting an average of 4k-5k when appropriately used and take flight hitting 4k-7k on most targets) -- Would I notice the loss in penetration when fighting the average no-cp opponent?

2h bar abilities: Executioner, Forward Momentum, Flames of Oblivion, Stampede, Volatile Armor, *Take Flight.
S&B bar abilities: Venomous Claw, Resolving Vigor, Fragmented Shield, Pierce Armor, Reverberating Bash, *Spell Wall.

I noticed that I tend to stay on my S&B bar for the majority of fights unless I need to reapply buffs or to execute/leap/gap-close.

Stat sheet (missing WD increase from Seventh Legion proc):
G35EccK.jpg

I'm really enjoying this set-up/playstyle, and if you've got any general tips regarding PvP StamDK, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers.
Edited by Vermethys on October 20, 2018 8:21PM
PC EU CP1400+
In-game Username: Vermilion98

Characters & Builds
Edith Geonette [DC Imperial Sorcerer] (AR28)
Gorgo Aendovius [AD Imperial Dragonknight] (AR28)

My Builds:
  • likecats
    likecats
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nirnhoned is generally better for stam builds since it affects healing and you have really high uptime on major brutality so its constantly buffed.

You get about 240 base weapon damage from nirnhoned. Which is then boosted by 20% major brutality, and another 10% via minor brutality for DK next patch. (minor brutality is being buffed from 5% to 10%)

So the choice becomes 312 weapon damage or 2750 penetration, you decide but I think 312 WD is better.
  • THE_BIG_BOSS
    THE_BIG_BOSS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powered is bis for stamdk
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    nirn axe, or infused with weapon damage enchant.. stamDk scales best with high weapon damage. I would also advice running even more damage over werewolf hide because of this reason,but play the way you like it really, I'm just giving you my personal advice.

Having nirn on your front bar (which is SnB in this case), and having infused with wd enchant on back bar is what I recommend, but obviously you can go experiment with it.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on October 21, 2018 4:26AM
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    penetration amp your damage, wp damage and tooltips gonna be halved by battle spirit anyway.
    only use nirnhoned in 5 medium.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're almost like my build exactly, difference is I'm on 5 med instead of heavy. Nirn on 2h is better honestly than infused with wep dmg since what u want to have is make some immovable poisons there (see alcast's stamDK build) and let the nirn do the rest.

Sharpened was what i used to run, and im on CP pvp all the time (some bg maybe) but i compansate that with Spriggan gears. I have spriggan jewels and weps with 5x Seventh armors, but then they sold golden Seventh ring, so I switched to 5x Spriggan and golded Seventh weps, and now I'm a bit more squishy, but running 3.2k+ dmg unbuffed in Cyro and 48% crit.

Summary: go Nirn + poison/wep dmg.

Bonus: Google stamDK Fury for the skills and how to burst from sneak. (Fighters guild skill give u bonus dmg when attacking from hidden and with forward momentum's bonus, I'm looking at critting Dizzying Swing at 15k+, or Crit Strike at 10k+)(lets not go into equipping Bow with this setup coz that'll be borderline hacking.....)
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    evoniee wrote: »
    penetration amp your damage, wp damage and tooltips gonna be halved by battle spirit anyway.

Sharpened gets affected by Battle Spirit because Battle Spirit affects players taking damage which means your penetrated damage gets halved also. Nirnhoned increases healing which is vital. And due to the ease of WD stacking and shields, you are likely better off with Nirnhoned. But next patch... Sharpened will affect shields too. So.. Either trait works.
    Edited by IZZEFlameLash on October 21, 2018 3:17PM
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nirnhoned
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    evoniee wrote: »

Sharpened gets affected by Battle Spirit because Battle Spirit affects players taking damage which means your penetrated damage gets halved also. Nirnhoned increases healing which is vital. And due to the ease of WD stacking and shields, you are likely better off with Nirnhoned. But next patch... Sharpened will affect shields too. So.. Either trait works.

calculation take from https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-updated-for-morrowind-new-calculator

10000 * (1 - 0.25) * (1 - 0.5) = 3750 damage taken (penetrated by 5%)
    10500 * (1 - 0.3) * (1 - 0.5) = 3675 damage taken (5% damage tooltip increase)
    1487 pen = 129 wp damage = 2.246%ish on damage tooltip / mitigation by resistance.

as i said, use nirnhoned if you have better damage amplification such as med armor / brutality
    Edited by evoniee on October 21, 2018 5:43PM