The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Scathing mage on a magplar

majorana
majorana
✭✭
How is the uptime of scathing mage on a magicka templar, does burning light proc it?
  • majorana
    majorana
    ✭✭
    Clarification: melee magplar, using sweeps
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's only direct damage, sweeps will not proc it. Burning light passive will.
  • majorana
    majorana
    ✭✭
    And how is the uptime, is it comparable to bsw?
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I didn't do extensive testing, and it was a while ago, but I found Scathing to be weaker than BSW by a small margin. No data, and not exactly helpful, I know. But you will find the same, in all likelihood; if Scathing were stronger than (or even as strong as) BSW, you can bet the community would be on it.

As it stands now, it's a bit weaker, but not by crazy margins. The only real reason to run it is: purple arms vs orange arms from each set's proc visual effect. :P
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh, and also, Scathing can proc off of any direct crit, so if your build isn't big on fire damage, I guess it would pull ahead of BSW in that particular case.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The next question would be the execute procing it and iirc it does not. But it has been a long time since I have DPSed on my Templar. Granted, the use of the execute is much less than it was back in the day.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

The next question would be the execute procing it and iirc it does not. But it has been a long time since I have DPSed on my Templar. Granted, the use of the execute is much less than it was back in the day.

Radiant is not direct damage either so it does mor proc it.

The only way to make this close to bsw is to run force pulse. A fp weave counts as 5 hits (including light attack and glyph). Stacked with the chance to proc burning light on blazing spear you could potentially have 6 direct hits, occasionally, but at least 4 per second.

If 3 attacks crit you have a 48% chance to proc it
    If 4 you have a 60% chance.
    5 it's 68% chance.
    6 is a 74%.
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scathing really needs one of it's proc conditions removed. It currently has 3, 20%, critical, and direct damage. Removing just one of them would make it just as viable as bsw if not better.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Radiant is not direct damage either so it does mor proc it.

The only way to make this close to bsw is to run force pulse. A fp weave counts as 5 hits (including light attack and glyph). Stacked with the chance to proc burning light on blazing spear you could potentially have 6 direct hits, occasionally, but at least 4 per second.

If 3 attacks crit you have a 48% chance to proc it
    If 4 you have a 60% chance.
    5 it's 68% chance.
    6 is a 74%.

Keeping WoE and Vampire bane up during execute would proc BSW though. That would seem to be the most practical of what is being discussed in this thread.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templars have too many dots to refresh for scathing mage to pay off.

from my testing it's a magsorc set.

@Brutusmax1mus is exactly right. You have to be running a force pulse build. I've seen 70%+ on the mag sorc as long as you can sustain the light attack weave (easier said than done)
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tested Scathing Mage extensively. You really need two things to make it work:

1) A direct damage rotation.

2) Spell crit of 80% or higher.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE