The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Class Passives that Need "Balancing"

InFernalEntity
InFernalEntity
✭✭✭
Some of the Class passives are very niche and only benefit Magicka or Stamina, becoming kinda useless or lacking to the other side.

I figured I'd highlight some of them so people can save skill points or hopefully ZOS would have a look at them.

----

Dragonknight

Skill Line: Ardent Flame

Passive: World in Ruin - Increase the damage of fire/poison aoe by 3/6%.

Problem: This only buffs 3 things that deal poison damge. Noxious Breath, Trapping Webs, the Mephala monster set.
The ability is great for Magicka users, but, whilst necessary for Stamina users, the return is lacking.
Could be improved with either a flat fire/poison buff like the Sorc class has for shock/physical OR a slightly larger buff to Fire/Poison DoTs.
(I know there aren't many poison DoTs but it's a larger number than 3).

----

Sorcerer

Skill Line: All

Passives:

Capacitor - increased magicka recovery by 5/10%

Blood Magic - Hitting an enemy with a dark magic ability heals for 5/10% of max health.

Persistence - Increase duration of Dark Magic abilities.

Rebate - When summoned creature is killed/unsummoned restore x magicka.

Expert Summoner - Increase Max Health by 4/8% while a daedric summoning pet is active.

Problem: The problem here isn't so much the passives themselves, it's that if you play a stam DPS more than one third of your class passives don't benefit you.

----

Nightblade

Skill Line: None

Passives: None

Every Passive is useful whether your specced in Magicka or Stamina. Max Magicka is useful to Stam classes because of utility abilities (cloak, aspect,blur) costing magicka to cast.
Other than that the rest of the passes are pretty balanced to either side.

----

Templar

Skill Line: none

Passive: none

Lacking in Stamina skills (like dragonknight) but passives seem well balanced to both sides as well as DPS, Healer and Tank roles.

----

Warden

Skill Line: Winter's Embrace

Passive: Piercing Cold - Frost and Magic damage increased by 3/6%

Problem: Both affect Magicka. Does not benefit stam builds.

----

I actually didn't expect this to be so biased against stamina builds but there it is.

EDIT due to being outdated:

Persistence now reduces the cost of next ability after blocking, still leaving a third of Sorc passives useless to stam builds.

World in Ruin now reduces the cost of poison abilities by 25% which means it affects a grand total of 5 abilities. Increased from 2 abilities and 1 set.
Edited by InFernalEntity on October 18, 2018 8:00PM
XBOX GT: InFernal Entity

Zoarava the Dark Reaper - Level 50 Khajiit Stamblade
Valyria Uviryoni - Level 50 Dunmer mDK Vampire
Pale Shade - Level 50 Argonian NB crafter
  • Ladislao
    Ladislao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are a bit outdated.

World in Ruin has already been changed, and it will reduce costs of all poison damage abilities by 25% since next week.
    Persistence reduces the cost of the next skill after blocking.
    Everything is viable
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    But OPs intentions are agreeable. Sometimes my stamsorcs feels like the kid that gets locked up in the closet by his stepfather.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    World in ruin now reduces cost of poison abilities by %25.

Which changes basically nothing for PvP.

bleeds are still more cost effective with better benefits, and stamDks just lost its last tiny hope of getting an actual damage passive.

All things considered its a flat sustain buff for pve stamDks, though its definitely not enough and just like combustion , too niche to be ever useful.

Also I disagree on templar lacking stamina skills. I think stamplars have a lot of fun toys to play with compared to stamsorcs and stamDks.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on October 18, 2018 8:00PM
  • RedRook
    RedRook
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar

Aedric Spear

Balanced Warrior: increases your weapon damage by 6% and magic resistance by 2640

Staves of course aren't weapons, they're staves.
  • InFernalEntity
    InFernalEntity
    ✭✭✭
    @Ladislao personally, I think that change to World in Ruin is even more useless than it is now.
    Stam DKs two cheapest abilities are poison based (Venomous Claw and Noxious Breath). Plus it still only affects 5 abilities, 6 if it covers Corrosive Armour and 2 of those are bow abilities which already get a % discount for being weapon line skills.

A simple % Damage type or DoT buff would be more effective (most of DKs skills are DoTs, options for poison damage/DoTs in terms of sets, weapons, enchantments).

2 issues for DK are keeping up with other classes DPS and general issues with sustain. Removing a damage buff for a very poor sustain buff still leaves the passive as subpar.

I will agree that Persistence is a nice gimmick though. Hadn't realised they'd changed that.

• leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The skill line with nova and sun fire, half the passive don't effect stamplar.

Sorc, pet skills don't effect it

Stamden, the dmg % passive used to be physical + cold dmg but for some reason zos changed it and got rid of the physical one.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ladislao personally, I think that change to World in Ruin is even more useless than it is now.
    Stam DKs two cheapest abilities are poison based (Venomous Claw and Noxious Breath). Plus it still only affects 5 abilities, 6 if it covers Corrosive Armour and 2 of those are bow abilities which already get a % discount for being weapon line skills.

A simple % Damage type or DoT buff would be more effective (most of DKs skills are DoTs, options for poison damage/DoTs in terms of sets, weapons, enchantments).

2 issues for DK are keeping up with other classes DPS and general issues with sustain. Removing a damage buff for a very poor sustain buff still leaves the passive as subpar.

I will agree that Persistence is a nice gimmick though. Hadn't realised they'd changed that.

fyi It does not affect corrosive armor because corrosive is an ultimate, not a basic ability. Though it would be cool if it did, corrosive is too expensive anyways.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on October 18, 2018 8:43PM
  • InFernalEntity
    InFernalEntity
    ✭✭✭
    @leepalmer95 I was actually really confused looking at it, wondering why it wouldn't be frost and physical.
    The fact they changed it is a little odd.

• Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    World in ruin now reduces cost of poison abilities by %25.

Which changes basically nothing for PvP.

bleeds are still more cost effective with better benefits, and stamDks just lost its last tiny hope of getting an actual damage passive.

All things considered its a flat sustain buff for pve stamDks, though its definitely not enough and just like combustion , too niche to be ever useful.

Also I disagree on templar lacking stamina skills. I think stamplars have a lot of fun toys to play with compared to stamsorcs and stamDks.

New World In Ruin is amazing for PvE stamDKs. I can easily do a pure light attack 6mil dummy with blue food now. In PvP we got more melee range and the cost redux will help if you run bow.

I think stamDK is in fine spot for PvE now. In PvP not very good, but oh well just make a warden or feel like a tough guy for playing the weaker class; stamDK will never be as strong as warden in PvP.

You will need to learn to play your DK differently to benefit from WiR. There are some great options available both melee and ranged.
    Edited by Kanar on October 18, 2018 9:19PM
  • InFernalEntity
    InFernalEntity
    ✭✭✭
    @Kanar this is interesting to know. I figured with the lack of posion skills it'd be poor but if the sustain works that well I'm excited to see it.

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thread maker is entitled to his personal opinion.
    because thats all this thread is.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well templars also have many passives not benefitting stamina templars at all. A very good example is the passive mending, which only increases healing of restoring light skills, but not skills like momentum and vigor.