Maintenance for the week of April 1:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 1

Current State of MagDKs on the PTS - Looking for Feedback

Sirvys
Sirvys
I've been playing an mDK and only an mDK since Day 1. I am now on console so I don't have access to the PTS. Since the release of the new patch notes, the forums have basically been consumed with only Sorc/Shield and NB/evasion discussions.

I am wondering if there are some serious MagDks out there who could weigh in on the impact the patch changes are having on the class, and what (if anything) seems to be working. Thanks!
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PvP or PvE? Need to clarify.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you PvP with a light armor Magdk and use healing ward your survival will take a hit by alot and sustain will take a hit with power last cost mag now
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might have to abandon ship or run 2 sustain sets and don't kill anyone more competent than light attacking bowtards.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    mDK is stil incredibly strong in PvP, as as on live.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lucky_dutch Magdk are decent on live for bgs always has high dmg but low kills alot because they can't finish people off well with lack of execute but open world they are very much sub par. But one of the big reason they do so well.in bgs is there are alot of bowtards spamming snipe there I've 1v4 a whole team of them beucase they all basically killed them selves. And leap can be out walked on live so the speed changes in hoping bow they have to atleast sprint to out run leap
    Edited by lucky_Sage on October 12, 2018 5:20PM
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    lucky_Sage wrote: »
    @Lucky_dutch Magdk are decent on live for bgs always has high dmg but low kills alot because they can't finish people off well with lack of execute but open world they are very much sub par. But one of the big reason they do so well.in bgs is there are alot of bowtards spamming snipe there I've 1v4 a whole team of them beucase they all basically killed them selves. And leap can be out walked on live so the speed changes in hoping bow they have to atleast sprint to out run leap

They’re good for more than that. They’re a pretty excellent duelling class and are tough as hell. I often go zero deaths in a BG with mine.

You have pointed out their weakness there though - a lack of execute so they get their kills pinched a lot. Still able to have large impact though.
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They’re good for more than that. They’re a pretty excellent duelling class and are tough as hell. I often go zero deaths in a BG with mine.

You have pointed out their weakness there though - a lack of execute so they get their kills pinched a lot. Still able to have large impact though.

Leap should be your execute. The new changes to major evasion are going to hurt though.
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    iCaliban wrote: »

Leap should be your execute. The new changes to major evasion are going to hurt though.

With so many people using Heavy Armor and dw spin2win already, I’m used to them having that AoE reduction!

I think magDK is fine in Murkmire. I’m a lot more content with the way it’s looking than I am for my Magblade which has been battered by the nerf bat from every possible angle.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Overall in the meta, I don't know. Though MagDK is going to be one of the faster classes ironically with their gapcloser and base snare removal (as mediocre as they both are.)

I can only comment on MagDK live to MagDK on PTS.

TL;DR: PvP bit weaker and more tedious to play as ever, but better for rooting, which is nice.

Power lash sustain nerf is going to hurt.
    Ults will be weaker to med builds and Nbs.
    Light builds get a bit of a buff, slightly faster movement when snared, shields have resistances which is nice for DKs. (Though now bleed builds will rip through shield too) Pen from light now works on shields, not exactly a direct buff, but a comparitive one. The extra cost reduction will help offset power lash cost a little.
    Range changes are messy but inconsequential.

PvE, about same..
    DPS same Factoring in the powerlash sustain nerf with the buff to eruption. Going to 100% need symmetry though.
    Embers range buff is useful in certain fights.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Sirvys
    Sirvys
    For the record, I am asking about PvP. Sorry, I should have clarified that.

Any thoughts on what sets are working well in Murkmire?
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are a few changes that will indirectly affect mDKs. The speed changes, Major Evasion, and the rewrite of CCs.

The speed changes are kind of a reversion to previous patches. mDK fared very poorly in the speed meta in open world. It's probably either a wash or maybe a minor buff.

Major Evasion - a lot depends on how the meta unfolds here. If everyone starts running AOE reduction, it will really hurt mag and stam DKs both. If they don't, nothing changes.

The CC rewrite is a the real dark horse. DK CC's have been easy to break in the past while cc's like javelin and fear are borderline exploitable because of the difficulting breaking them or bugs with them, like getting feared into walls or javelined underground. All that could change. If CC breaking is fixed -- halleluja! Everyone is happy! If the new CC system is buggy as hell, DKs could suffer more than others since we rely on them so heavily.

Finally, we have the direct changes. The skill range changes are probably fairly inconsequential but maybe a little QoL for new Dks. Then there is the power lash nerf. Sustain is one area mDK was already pushed to the bleeding edge on. We'll probably see more tank DKs, because mDK will have to give up damage to cope with the sustain nerf.

• Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Always top of my team score wise in bgs and often no deaths. Don't get the killing blow a lot but can reach 40+ assists and completely invincible to all ranged players. Looking forward to the extra "2 inches"
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Sirvys
    Sirvys
    Rex-Umbra wrote: »
    Always top of my team score wise in bgs and often no deaths. Don't get the killing blow a lot but can reach 40+ assists and completely invincible to all ranged players. Looking forward to the extra "2 inches"

What's working for you? I'm typically similar result, tons of assists, fewer kills, top dmg, few deaths. But always looking to do even better if someone has a better set combination working for them.