Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Custom-built over-sea house in Grand Psijic Villa

Aurie
Aurie
✭✭✭✭✭
Here is my over-sea house in Grand Psijic Villa grounds. I had massive fun creating this.

No captions as the pics speak for themselves. Quite a few of them, but I hope you like it :)

vi1obpw2lbbs.png
535uv8p8n00c.png
e8aou4ppltky.png
i2vr8t5cm0po.png
7fr6uqwkwxw6.png
961akso7y709.png
33kj6cd72ezq.png
9goy0obgw659.png
rqv7n7u7mh0p.png
3j20zl1849tq.png
div3po987svb.png
8ew0eru4q3ek.png
ku528xdhca3q.png
ob6oq0y86l3l.png
ca9utax2sr31.png
rck41giof6b3.png
nd6k321933oz.png
kjl61hfqags1.png
wlc86dkmsusw.png
e0370vnqaskd.png

And finally for those who might be interested, a few pics of early stages of development:

e8nblapfzm7u.png
m0yenrrz9gr2.png
zera7f4kbilo.png
u90agaatbekc.png
9fhr5ah6dt44.png
  • platonicidealgirlfriend
    eat your heart out frank loyd wright
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just 12hrs ago I was visiting this place, deciding whether or not to purchase it once released. One big question I had in mind at the time was "I wonder if it would be possible to create a life-size build over the water, ala Dubai style?"

Well, you've just answered that question for me. :)

And in a magnificant way too! Beautiful. Looks like somewhere my toons would like to hang out and relax after a hard day questing. Makes me want to build something similar one day. Makes me want to buy this property!

Excellent job! Shame it's on PTS. But I'm sure you will have a ton of fun recreating something like this on live. :)
  • Delphinia
    Delphinia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely stunning!
  • Alexsae
    Alexsae
    ✭✭✭
    Your home is exquisite. The roofing lines and so much else are absolutely brilliant ideas! Truly, it's so beautiful that I can't stop scrolling through your pictures!
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Was nurturing an idea of custom build over the water myself and it's nice to see similar ideas implemented here!

Too bad we have these housing limits, roof edges require some finish. Right now they give a Soviet-era concrete architecture vibe
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The big question is when this house will actually release?
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everybody :)

The most difficult problem was laying a completely level surface with the Alinor Ballroom Floors, mainly because I flipped most of them over to the smooth underside. This was crucial as the slightest variation in level/angle etc had repercussions when it came to building the walls and laying carpets. Not to mention the general look.

It was also tricky to align all the interior and exterior edging walls seamlessly. I lost count of the number of times I fell in the water and got slaughtered by the fishies :/

When you look hard at the alignment and edging detail, there is much room for improvement. But practise makes perfect.

Hunters Glade will be the next project, with a totally different feel. But not until the update, as PTS will be wiped soon!
  • sozo108
    sozo108
    ✭✭✭
    This is really amazing! Great idea to build on the sea for pools to make use of all the water. Awesome work! Such a beautiful house.
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaw drops to floor... That is amazing! I was doubting to buy the Linchal Manor or this but I think I just made my choice...
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sozo108 wrote: »
    Great idea to build on the sea for pools to make use of all the water.

Ahh, and you can dispose of all annoying guests here.
    "The weather is gorgeous. Would you like to have a swim in one of my pools? Oh, don't be bothered by the color of the water, I spilled some wine in there"

• Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, maybe I should put up some signs saying 'Beware of Slaughterfish' for when welcome guests drop in :D
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely beautiful, well done!
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous and stunning!
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    Haha, maybe I should put up some signs saying 'Beware of Slaughterfish' for when welcome guests drop in :D

Guests would be like "What did you put the slaughter fish for?" and you like "Have you heard that the Alinor marble is quite porous, so it could float on the water? Well, even though we try to catch all the fish, it just keeps filtering in through the pores in marble during the night"
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a great way to discourage guests who only visit to take advantage of the bathing facilities...ESO's very own answer to Piranhas, and I can testify that they are lethal at a depth of three inches.

"Feel free to swim at your own peril. Your skeleton will make an interesting addition to my display cases in the dark ritual room."
  • Aralan_B
    Aralan_B
    ✭✭
    Very nice! This "Summer House" fits in nicely with the original design.

I'm beginning to wonder how far out you can build since you reached the Slaughter fish zone.?
  • Wise_Will
    Wise_Will
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks Epic!
    XBOX EU/PC EU
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aralan_B wrote: »
    Very nice! This "Summer House" fits in nicely with the original design.

I'm beginning to wonder how far out you can build since you reached the Slaughter fish zone.?

Only one way to find out!

• Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Aurelle1 I have done many custom builds but this is outstanding. Everything about this layout fits.
    I have 2 questions :smile:
    How did you get the floors level when you flipped them. Anytime I flip the bathroom floor it never quite flips by bang on 180deg. It's always slightly off level.
    Secondly, would you consider posting a video. I would truly like to see the layout in detail.
    Thanks for sharing
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The floors were the really hard bit, as everything else hinged on getting them level. You have to line them up using existing known level surfaces. So the dock was my starting point. In the end it all came down to trial and error, as at that time I didn't have or use any addons. I still don't as I am such crap at working out how to use them. So it was all a matter of 'eye'.

My much loved father was an architect. He was also an artist and an Egyptologist, and I now have no doubt that one does inherit these genes. So maybe that helped. But he had terrific imagination, whereas I don't particularly. You only have to look at some of the amazing stuff that fellow ESO players are doing in housing to understand what real imagination is.

And if you look closely you will see a lot of faults all over the place. But I got fed up with saying 'oh ffs' when things didn't go right, so imperfect stuff definitely got through.

As for the video, I'll have to look into that, as to quote my husband, I am computer illiterate.

Thank you very much for your kind words :)
  • Delphinia
    Delphinia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aurelle1 , everything about your place is truly exquisite.
    I especially love how you designed the two water features/pools with the narrow walk in the middle leading up to the fountain.
    Very elegant and tastefully decorated!
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's cool but still feels empty.
  • HiLyfe808
    HiLyfe808
    ✭✭✭✭
    wow i love the over the water build concept... great work!!
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    looks awesome!
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's cool but still feels empty.

Thanks for your comment, @dcam86b14_ESO :)

The 'empty' feeling was actually completely intentional, as this design does not take well to cosy clutter (which is something I do aim for in most of my other houses). It is a summer villa cooled by sea breezes, and emphasizes space and vistas. The exception of course is the vegetation in the terrace gardens, which are a complete contrast to the aesthetic principle of the villa itself. I ended up with around a hundred spare slots, which were deliberately not used. I could have used them to create a less 'empty' feeling, but that look was not what I was aiming for, and often the art of design is knowing when to stop. ;)

Edited by Aurie on October 12, 2018 10:02AM
  • Urhart_ESO
    Urhart_ESO
    ✭✭
    This is a great place, I notice I was thinking to small. But to be able to make it you need infinite resources LOL.
    Anyway. I so wish to scrub the walls of this palace or repair the broken pillars.
    Thanx for kindeling the dream.
  • Kind_Altmer
    Kind_Altmer
    Soul Shriven
    That is the coolest design idea for housing i saw until now, great work!
    There is culture everywhere.
    PC
    NA
    AD
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exceptionally awesome in such a very short space of time yes!

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. You did a fantastic job decorating!

I do have a question. Every time I've been to the Villa it's daylight. I know everywhere else there is a day/night cycle, but I've never seen it be nighttime at the Villa. So my question is whether there a day/night cycle there at the Villa.
    Edited by Maryal on October 13, 2018 8:39PM
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maryal wrote: »
    Very nice. You did a fantastic job decorating!

I do have a question. Every time I've been to the Villa it's daylight. I know everywhere else there is a day/night cycle, but I've never seen it be nighttime at the Villa. So my question is whether there a day/night cycle there at the Villa.

There is no night as such. Yet neither is there true day. I suppose the closest description of the quality of the light would be dawn or twilight, ranging from a rosy hue where the sun appears round the edge of a ruin-clothed crag:

n6x64jmeasbv.png

to shades of violet and blue as the 'day' draws to a close on the side near the moons:

uqqhlbsfsym6.png

The sun, if you can call it that, does rise from behind that crag and start to travel across the sky, but rapidly appears to fade in significance and clarity. It should affect the casting of shadows, yet interestingly on looking at my screenshots, the shadows always seem to be falling in the same direction. I think this may be because the sun doesn't actually appear to get very far in its orbit.

The two moons or planets on the other side of the sea's horizon are constant and hang in the same location. In addition there are always stars/far away planets, connected by beams (for want of a better description) and these do swing through the sky to an extent, although this is not terribly obvious, and their intensity gradually fades in and out .

The location oozes cosmic mysticism, and this is best appreciated from over the sea. It is a truly magical place.

There. You asked a simple question and got a lecture!