The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The older Arena weapons (vMA, vDSA, vAS) — please don't neglect them again during this PTS cycle

• lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    I'm aware of that. I was under the impression you were saying you used Master reach as a spammable and responded as such.

Prior to Summerset many magblades actually were using Master destro is the way you described. Back then it was still valuable because you needed a 1pc set to fill the 11th "dead" slot in a destro/resto build. That changed drastically in Summerset.

Now you're far better off using 5/5/2 even if you running swallow+reach (for reasons already covered by myself and other posters). I'm not bashing on your build, and i'm sure you do well on it, but that's not an argument against buffing an underperforming set. It's far from optimal and that's a fact.

Depends what your 5 sets are. If you're using a proc set you may want that deliberately back bar-only so that you can control the proc to line it up with other burst. In that case whatever you're running on front bar will only benefit from 1-2 piece bonuses. That pretty much makes it a decision between Masters and Willpower and the buffs to destructive reach are waaaaaay better than flat 1500 Mag imo.

If you're just running a straight dps boosting set like War Maidens or Necro then yeah I can see how you'd be right.
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saying these sets don’t need buffed is asinine. Ask all the stamina players running Maestrom/Master/Asylum 2h nowadays. Oh wait.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this real? Yeah, sure, vDSA, vMA and vAS weapons sure are out of the loop when they are still widely popular. Not sure what that huge fat bleed ticks are on my combat log then and why people still use Wall of Elements or Mutagen back bar with vMA staff.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Rukzadlithau
    Rukzadlithau
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bump for justice
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @IZZEFlameLash , you're mostly bringing outliers as an example. That's the thing, only those arena weapons are popular that either can be put on back bar (because at this point they're not worth losing 5/5/2 bonuses permanently), or give some narrow advantage like DW for bleed builds or destro for status effects in PvE. Majority of arena weapons that go to front bar, though, are deconstruction material, and running arena for a chance of purple temper most of the time... Not inspiring.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @IZZEFlameLash , you're mostly bringing outliers as an example. That's the thing, only those arena weapons are popular that either can be put on back bar (because at this point they're not worth losing 5/5/2 bonuses permanently), or give some narrow advantage like DW for bleed builds or destro for status effects in PvE. Majority of arena weapons that go to front bar, though, are deconstruction material, and running arena for a chance of purple temper most of the time... Not inspiring.

Not every arena/trial weapons and sets have been strong. vMA bows for stam DPS, vMA staves for magicka DPS and healers, Master's staves for PvP ranged magicka DPS, bleed builds are obvious. 2h Asylum, bow from that same trial also are used. There always have been useful ones and not so useful ones. And it is not in business interest for them to strengthen older loots instead of new ones. Why even buy new DLCs if you don't get an access to something so powerful?
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @IZZEFlameLash , oh, I do understand that spice must flow new DLCs must sell. But it's never been a healthy picture that some arena sets are downright useless, and Summerset narrowed the gap quite a bit - so the gain now is even less for all the grind. Summerset was an indirect nerf to old arena weapons. Also, I think there'd be less complaints if new DLC actually offered something better - but vBRP weapons, aside from resto, look stillborn as things stand now. So, old things nerfed, new things aren't good to begin with.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    "@Masel We aren't against the idea but don't currently have plans for it. It would require additional dungeon work."

Dev quote on the 1 piece arena weapon idea. This doesn't mean that we should stop pushing it, only that we need more players to push it!
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Rukzadlithau
    Rukzadlithau
    ✭✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    "@Masel We aren't against the idea but don't currently have plans for it. It would require additional dungeon work."

Dev quote on the 1 piece arena weapon idea. This doesn't mean that we should stop pushing it, only that we need more players to push it!

Ouch, what a letdown.
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do they mean by "additional dungeon work" ?
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What's additional "dungeon work"? Do the devs work in a literal dungeon?
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    They mean that if they do it, tthey would have us complete the old content on a new difficulty so we have to regrind it all. Man that's disappointing.
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They mean that if they do it, tthey would have us complete the old content on a new difficulty so we have to regrind it all. Man that's disappointing.

You know, I try to keep a positive outlook and I try to be nice ... but reading stuff like this really tries my patience.

They want us to complete old content on a new difficulty to regrind weapons to get back bonuses that were already on the weapons years ago but were taken away from us?

What.

Are.

They.

Smoking.
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why take that route? Why not just update all our earned weapons? The original arenas on vet are hard enough
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mr_wazzabi wrote: »

Why take that route? Why not just update all our earned weapons? The original arenas on vet are hard enough

Because they hate us.

I feel bad for the class reps and the community managers, who are all nice people who want the players to have fun, but they suffer from having to represent the sadistic puppy-kickers who run the combat dev teams.

Probably a lot like being a customer service rep for Comcast.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I would gladly go farm another Perfected Asylum Inferno Staff if it started dropping with a 1pc stat bonus. Ideally Spell Damage, Max Magicka or Spell Crit. However I wouldn’t even object to it receiving Magicka Regen since a Force Pulse rotation is difficult to sustain.

They can rename all my current Perfected weapons as Imperfect (without changing their stats of course, just lacking the 1pc bonus). And get rid of the old Imperfect versions (anyone who has one gets upgraded to the new Imperfect version).

Now I can see why people would object to having to regrind vMA and vDSA weapons just to regain the bonuses that they used to have. Even for these, it could breath some new life into old content. I would recommend the same system as Asylum weapons, so everyone keeps their weapons as they currently exist, but a new Perfected version starts dropping from vet with an additional 1pc stat bonus. If anyone wants to farm the old version then it could start dropping from nMA and nDSA. Technically nobody loses any stats, if you don’t want to get the new version your old one will remain the same.

I’m torn on the magnitude of these bonuses, since they previously had 1.5X the standard stat bonus value. If that is too overpowered in the current game, then the typical set bonus values would be ok. They should be balanced in a way that makes 5-3-2-2 approximately equivalent to 5-5-2. They should be BIS for some builds, but not required for every build. Currently any ability altering weapon on front bar is a DPS loss over builds that utilize 2 5-piece sets and a monster helm set, and that is just wrong for how difficult these are to obtain.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on October 5, 2018 9:07PM
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really don't understand their thought process sometimes. We already earned those weapons on veteran difficulty and deserve to have them at full, perfected power.

In any case, thanks for keeping us up-to-date on the issue, Masel. I'll keep fighting for it til ZOS comes through!
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • What_In_Tarnation
    What_In_Tarnation
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since add 1 more piece bonus back will require more dungeons work (vMA, vDSA and vAS). You know you can just remove 1 piece bonus from perfected BRP arena weapons, cause you only need 1 dungeon work here.

hJeo3ud.jpg

Please don't listen to my feedback.
    Edited by What_In_Tarnation on October 5, 2018 10:49PM
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Honestly, I would gladly go farm another Perfected Asylum Inferno Staff if it started dropping with a 1pc stat bonus. Ideally Spell Damage, Max Magicka or Spell Crit. However I wouldn’t even object to it receiving Magicka Regen since a Force Pulse rotation is difficult to sustain.

They can rename all my current Perfected weapons as Imperfect (without changing their stats of course, just lacking the 1pc bonus). And get rid of the old Imperfect versions (anyone who has one gets upgraded to the new Imperfect version).

Now I can see why people would object to having to regrind vMA and vDSA weapons just to regain the bonuses that they used to have. Even for these, it could breath some new life into old content. I would recommend the same system as Asylum weapons, so everyone keeps their weapons as they currently exist, but a new Perfected version starts dropping from vet with an additional 1pc stat bonus. If anyone wants to farm the old version then it could start dropping from nMA and nDSA. Technically nobody loses any stats, if you don’t want to get the new version your old one will remain the same.

I’m torn on the magnitude of these bonuses, since they previously had 1.5X the standard stat bonus value. If that is too overpowered in the current game, then the typical set bonus values would be ok. They should be balanced in a way that makes 5-3-2-2 approximately equivalent to 5-5-2. They should be BIS for some builds, but not required for every build. Currently any ability altering weapon on front bar is a DPS loss over builds that utilize 2 5-piece sets and a monster helm set, and that is just wrong for how difficult these are to obtain.
    The new difficulty would just be for veteran maelstrom and dragon star, since asylum is already split into perfected and imperfect. They can just do it like in blackrose, have the normal drop in normal and the perfected with the additional bonus drop on veteran. I promised myself that they day they make me regrind arena weapons due to any change (something like this or a gear cap increase) I am gonna leave this game immediately. I invested so much time into getting enough of them for my characters that I am definitely not going to do that again.

The bonuses were there before, they took them away and now they want us to work for them again? No thanks.
    Edited by Masel on October 5, 2018 11:09PM
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delete
    Edited by Aliyavana on October 6, 2018 8:00AM
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The new difficulty would just be for veteran maelstrom and dragon star, since asylum is already split into perfected and imperfect. They can just do it like in blackrose, have the normal drop in normal and the perfected with the additional bonus drop on veteran. I promised myself that they day they make me regrind arena weapons due to any change (something like this or a gear cap increase) I am gonna leave this game immediately. I invested so much time into getting enough of them for my characters that I am definitely not going to do that again.

The bonuses were there before, they took them away and now they want us to work for them again? No thanks.

I agree. Casuals would be happy and those of us that did it in vet will have an extra set bonus as an incentive so it would be a win win
    Edited by Aliyavana on October 6, 2018 8:16AM
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Aliyavana wrote: »

If they want us to regrind, how bout just introducing imperfect versions of old arena weapons that drop in normal and having the veteran versions have the extra stats? Casuals would be happy and those of us that did it in vet will have the extra set bonus.

That's exactly what I said in my post :smiley:
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Rukzadlithau
    Rukzadlithau
    ✭✭✭✭

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/437512/make-arena-weapons-great-again#latest

You guys may vote here and keep the thread up to bring this to more attention.

Thanks.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Buzo wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/437512/make-arena-weapons-great-again#latest

You guys may vote here and keep the thread up to bring this to more attention.

Thanks.

I already did :smile:
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dropped a vote and a bump. Keep fighting the good fight, @Buzo
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is also an opportunity to fix balancing issues with the Asylum weapons.

For some weapons, the difference between normal and perfected is so small that there's really no benefit to using the perfected version. E.g., the resto's cost reduction improves from 27% to 30%.

And for the destro staff, the difference is massive--the perfected version will proc 50% more often. A year ago during the CwC PTS, this was the biggest complaint levied against the Asylum weapons. The problem is that the normal version is so weak that there's really no reason to use it. Particularly now that Elemental Weapon is a thing. Three casts to apply all 3 status effects for the normal Asylum destro. Whereas Elemental Weapon will apply 1 status effect per cast and thus 3 status effects in 3 casts (though no guarantee that the 3 will be different). The normal staff will apply status effects at the same rate as Elemental Weapon. Except using an ability that costs more than Elemental Weapon. And consuming two set bonuses.

This will be an opportunity to remake the Asylum bonuses to make them more fair. Give normal Asylum weapons the perfected 2p effect. So normal Asylum resto will reduce cost by 30%, and normal Asylum destro will proc every 2 casts. And then add the stat bonus to the Perfected versions.

The end result is that for most weapons, there will be a more significant difference between normal and perfected and more incentive to get and use the perfected. And for the destro, there will be less difference between the two and the normal version will not be so worthlessly bad.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Give normal Asylum weapons the perfected 2p effect. So normal Asylum resto will reduce cost by 30%, and normal Asylum destro will proc every 2 casts. And then add the stat bonus to the Perfected versions.

This would be fair. It's also consistent with the perfect/imperfect system that ZOS seems to be pushing with the Cloudrest and Blackrose sets.

I just hope it doesn't involve too much "dungeon work".
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    code65536 wrote: »
    Give normal Asylum weapons the perfected 2p effect. So normal Asylum resto will reduce cost by 30%, and normal Asylum destro will proc every 2 casts. And then add the stat bonus to the Perfected versions.

This would be fair. It's also consistent with the perfect/imperfect system that ZOS seems to be pushing with the Cloudrest and Blackrose sets.

I just hope it doesn't involve too much "dungeon work".

Asylum isn't as much of an issue in the dungeon work direction since you already have normal and perfected weapons. Bit they could simply introduce the same thing as in blackrose for maelstrom and dragonstar.
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    True, since both Dragonstar and Maelstrom already have normal instances. All they would have to do is add imperfect versions to the end-rewards for those.

To be completely honest I was against giving-out Arena weps on normal difficulty in the past, but it's probably better for the health of the game in the long run. Casual players would feel less excluded, and vets would still have an avenue and incentive for progression in terms of getting the perfected versions, like @Aliyavana mentioned.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be completely honest I was against giving-out Arena weps on normal difficulty in the past, but it's probably better for the health of the game in the long run. Casual players would feel less excluded, and vets would still have an avenue and incentive for progression in terms of getting the perfected versions, like @Aliyavana mentioned.

Master weapons originally dropped in both normal and vet DSA. Back when DSA was scaled to VR14, you would get VR14 Master weapons from vet and VR13 Master weapons from normal. The nDSA drops were eliminated when DSA was rescaled in One Tamriel.

This leaves the Maelstrom weapons as the only gear in the entire game that requires and has always required a vet completion. People who did nDSA prior to the OT update could've gotten Master weapons. And Undaunted masks are available via the vendor, though at the mercy of the random schedule.

So, for the sake of consistency, nMA absolutely needs to drop weapons. This was hard to justify prior to the Perfected gear system, but now there's simply no good reason not to do this. Make the current Maelstrom weapons drop in normal. Create new Perfected weapons with stat bonuses and have them drop in sigil-free vet runs and the weekly boards. Anyone who wants the new Perfected weapons should re-run vMA. And if you don't want to re-run, that's fine, because your current weapon will remain the same so you're not losing anything. (You want an upgrade to your power? Go and run the content for it.)
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch