Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Questions about the new shields

codestripper
codestripper
✭✭✭✭✭

In one of the upcoming PTS patches, Annulment and Conjured Ward will now be instant-cast abilities that scale off your maximum Magicka (as they do on live currently), but cap the total shield amount to 40% of your character’s maximum health.

Sorcerers:
Much of their feedback was included in the discussion with shields. Sustain isn’t good, mobility took a hit, offense was nerfed, etc.

So, I'm just wondering how this is going to work honestly. I feel like it's too early to make judgments as we don't know the specifics of the change quite yet.

For instance, Is the skill itself capped at 40%? Or can we put points into Bastion to increase it past 40%?

Then of course, is it only the base morph that will be 40%? Or will hardened ward increase it to 60-70% cap? Or maybe it will just grant increase resistances instead? Of course that also begs the question, will cost be decreased to help compensate?

That would also bring into question of course, if bastion does not affect past 40%, and there is no way to get past 40%...Can I just take all of my points out of bastion, and switch to empowered ward with no noticeable difference? After all my magicka pool as a pet sorc is about 50k, I think that should be enough to constitute a 40% damage shield by itself quite easily...

Like I said, for me it is wayyy too early to start making assumptions. We do not currently know the limitations of the new shield nerf until the new patch notes get released. Once I have all of these questions answered, I can make a proper judgement of whether I think the change is viable. As it currently stands, my damage shield is currently 24k on live. That is with 40 points into bastion and hardened ward. With the new changes, if my shield is capped a 40% of my max health, which is 18.2k, that would leave me with about a 70% nerf. Still, much better than having a cast time.
Since everyone seems to be doing this,
DPS Builds:
- Magicka Sorcerer (Pet) [Flawless Conqueror @ 565CP] - 582k
- Magicka Nightblade [Flawless Conqueror @ 780CP] - 575k
- Stamina Sorcerer [Flawless Conqueror @ 420CP] - 560k
- Magicka Classless [Flawless Conqueror @ 810CP] - 540k
- Magicka Templar [Stormproof] - 550k
- Magicka Warden [Stormproof] - 510k
- Stamina Templar [In Development]
- Stamina DK [In Development]
- Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if they should change bastion...

Adding to the strength of a shield, when it has a cap feels wasted. Yet its opposite star adds to damage done to shields..
    Should bastion change to reduce damage done to shields instead?

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

Adding to the strength of a shield, when it has a cap feels wasted. Yet its opposite star adds to damage done to shields..

If that were the case it would definitely still be worth it to put points into bastion. I could get on board with that.
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

In light of the recent changes that sounds like a reasonable suggestion.

Even on live Bastion is one of the last things I'd prioritize, it's much better to put points into different damage reductions (which apply to shields as well) - atleast until those passives start scaling inefficiently.

The 3-4 people using Blazing Shield will disagree though.
    Edited by DDuke on September 27, 2018 11:28AM
  • helios777
    helios777
    ✭✭✭✭

In one of the upcoming PTS patches, Annulment and Conjured Ward will now be instant-cast abilities that scale off your maximum Magicka (as they do on live currently), but cap the total shield amount to 40% of your character’s maximum health.

Sorcerers:
    Much of their feedback was included in the discussion with shields. Sustain isn’t good, mobility took a hit, offense was nerfed, etc.

So, I'm just wondering how this is going to work honestly. I feel like it's too early to make judgments as we don't know the specifics of the change quite yet.

For instance, Is the skill itself capped at 40%? Or can we put points into Bastion to increase it past 40%?

Then of course, is it only the base morph that will be 40%? Or will hardened ward increase it to 60-70% cap? Or maybe it will just grant increase resistances instead? Of course that also begs the question, will cost be decreased to help compensate?

That would also bring into question of course, if bastion does not affect past 40%, and there is no way to get past 40%...Can I just take all of my points out of bastion, and switch to empowered ward with no noticeable difference? After all my magicka pool as a pet sorc is about 50k, I think that should be enough to constitute a 40% damage shield by itself quite easily...

Like I said, for me it is wayyy too early to start making assumptions. We do not currently know the limitations of the new shield nerf until the new patch notes get released. Once I have all of these questions answered, I can make a proper judgement of whether I think the change is viable. As it currently stands, my damage shield is currently 24k on live. That is with 40 points into bastion and hardened ward. With the new changes, if my shield is capped a 40% of my max health, which is 18.2k, that would leave me with about a 70% nerf. Still, much better than having a cast time.

For PvP'ers the big question is battle spirit. Is the 40% half in Cyro? (20%) That'd mean with my 22,559 health (semi high for a PvP mag sorc) my Hardened Ward would cap out at 4,511 (it's currently 14,179 with 32 in Bastion). If that's the case this change would be just as class killing as a the cast time. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RobGarrett please let us know, hopefully shields will not be affected by Battle Spirit any longer
    Grand Warlord HAXERUS. One of the last OG Mag DKs.
    Mag DK through Thick and Thin.
    Retired from Cyrodiil until they finally decide to fix the performance, which is probably never.
  • Heymexa
    Heymexa
    ✭✭✭
    I do not understand. Does the limit work for a stack of shields, or for each shield separately? If the shields with any stack will give no more than 10k, then such changes are no better than changing the casting time.
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I can't speak much to PvP, as I really only go in there when I need caltrops. But I would assume that If 40% is the maximum overall shield you can get, then I highly doubt it would still be affected by battle spirit. (as it would just be unreasonable to stack that much health as a dps).

But if we assume that shields can still stack above 40%, and it's only limited to 40% per shield, then I think it would be affected by battle spirit to keep it more in line with how the Devs are thinking.

Again, this is all guessing based on a change that hasn't even happened yet. But logically I'd say that's the most likely scenario.
    DPS Builds:
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess we'll have to wait until Monday to see what it looks like on the PTS.

Knowing the calculations behind this is going to be a big factor on whether or not damage shields can still be a viable competitive defense mechanism.
  • callen4492
    callen4492
    ✭✭✭
    Where and when was this written?
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS Builds: