Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What even is the problem with shields in their current live state?

• bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    more and more im leaning towards the possibility that Artificial Intelligence is calling the shots and decision making for nerfs and such in ESO.

Remove the intelligent piece and you could be right.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk if cast time is the best nerf for shields, will have to wait until its out. However, no one can honestly say that shields were fine as is. When you can burst a magsorc down to execute range but multiple people cant execute him because he stacks shields, is not how it should work in pvp. I am a little worried for how my magsorc will perform in pve tho, but im sure ill adjust just fine.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because the devs got touched in a bad place by wardens and sorcerers..
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    Because the devs got touched in a bad place by wardens and sorcerers..

Best comment of the year

• pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CompM4s wrote: »
    Idk if cast time is the best nerf for shields, will have to wait until its out. However, no one can honestly say that shields were fine as is. When you can burst a magsorc down to execute range but multiple people cant execute him because he stacks shields, is not how it should work in pvp. I am a little worried for how my magsorc will perform in pve tho, but im sure ill adjust just fine.

You are right. Thats not how it works. Unless those multiple are complete potatoes in which case shields arent ur issue.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »

You are right. Thats not how it works. Unless those multiple are complete potatoes in which case shields arent ur issue.
    This is the answer. Zerg players often think that numbers = auto win even if they just spam light attacks. Of course it doesnt help against an experienced player of any class.
    If you watch those "sorcs are op" vids, the majority of enemy players are just backpedalling or running around half of the time, unable to put enough pressure on their enemy. This is why it's possible to 1vX.
    And of course, youtubers usually only post their wins, not the times when they were overrun by zergs.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on September 25, 2018 3:59PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hostee wrote: »
    therift wrote: »
    Because in PvP triple-shield-stacking sorcs are impossible to defeat. Everyone in PvP runs a sorc because of this, except for the handful of stam builds who are allergic to shields.

Because in PvE healers are waiting tables or begging in the streets. Everyone runs only sorcs in dungeons and trials, because insta-shields is godmode, meaning sorcs take absolutely no damage whatsoever while tanking bosses and healing the group.

Thus Nerf Sorc.

This dude obviously has no idea what he’s talking about.... You only bring 1 sorc to trials and the rest are magblades, tanks, and healers.... Lol GG

Look up in the sky... that's my joke flying by... :)
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NoCP BGs have been StamGrounds for awhile now with the exemption of a magic sorc
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NyassaV wrote: »
    NoCP BGs have been StamGrounds for awhile now with the exemption of a magic sorc

Magplars and magDKs still have their place, but yeah overall BGs are very stamina-dominated.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »
    I can kill shield users fine in PvP, and my own shields get taken off quite easily, so I'm really not sure how they're OP in PvP, at least in non-CP. BGs are basically StamGrounds at the moment, and with spammable gap closers, swift, speed pots, etc, the range vs melee thing isn't really relevant. Without range or the ability to stun break and roll dodge continuously, shields are important for light armor mag builds to survive.

In PvE, shields only help you live through stuff that would kill you regardless, so nerfing them isn't going to help healers be more effective, unless constantly ressing makes healers "feel more useful." If ZOS wants to buff healers, they should give them better group utility and not make so many 1-shot mechanics.

With this in mind, what exactly is the "problem" with shields? PvP already leans towards stam players, and shields are necessary in PvE thanks to the prevalence of 1-shot mechanics.

Because the current state of shields allows you to solo almost all of the 4 man content in the game.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoauspex wrote: »
    I can kill shield users fine in PvP, and my own shields get taken off quite easily, so I'm really not sure how they're OP in PvP, at least in non-CP. BGs are basically StamGrounds at the moment, and with spammable gap closers, swift, speed pots, etc, the range vs melee thing isn't really relevant. Without range or the ability to stun break and roll dodge continuously, shields are important for light armor mag builds to survive.

In PvE, shields only help you live through stuff that would kill you regardless, so nerfing them isn't going to help healers be more effective, unless constantly ressing makes healers "feel more useful." If ZOS wants to buff healers, they should give them better group utility and not make so many 1-shot mechanics.

With this in mind, what exactly is the "problem" with shields? PvP already leans towards stam players, and shields are necessary in PvE thanks to the prevalence of 1-shot mechanics.

Because the current state of shields allows you to solo almost all of the 4 man content in the game.

2 words: power creep. Non-dlc dungeons were designed for 0 cp chars (since champion system wasnt introduced back then). In other games it's even possible to solo outdated raids.
    It's possible to bypass some of the mechanics that require 2 or more players by using pets, but it's not related to shields. The game also favors ranged builds, so magicka characters can take advantage of it.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on September 25, 2018 4:44PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sarousse wrote: »
    Insane offense and insane defense simultaneously.

That's the problem. You should have to make a choice.

You wanna go glasscanon and hit ultra hard ? Then you shouldn't have that insane defense.

As a sorc you have to wear sustain sets and their damage is actually pretty low. Even the most dedicated sorc haters on these forums cant bring a video proving the "insane damage". People lie like there's no tomorrow, post low mmr matches full of "recruits" and low cps guys claiming its a super competitive high mmr bg. People post a video of a player killing low cp newbies (including magsorcs) and still claim that sorc is op. Come on, it's pretty obvious at this point.
    Pve-wise this glass cannon pulls less dps than magdens and has huge sustain issues. Much op, such wow.

Agreed.

I don't truly "shield stack" on my PvP magsorc (I do use Conjured Ward and Healing Ward, but not Annulment), but I can tank an incredible amount of damage. There are plenty of BGs where I go toe-to-toe with 3 or 4 opponents, and with shields and HoTs and CC and Streak and judiciously-timed roll-dodges, I keep them occupied until help arrives.

And when my burst is timed out right, I can put out a decent chunk of damage.

But it's hardly a "glass cannon". I'm built for sustain ... 5 Lich, 5 Shacklebreaker, Destro/Resto, lots of Impen, some regen glyphs, regen food, etc. I don't hit hard. I mean if I catch you with a combo it might burst you down but aside from that I'm fighting a war of attrition, banking on my sustain build outlasting and slowly wearing the opponent down.

On the other hand, I do think damage shields need to be toned down a bit, but this cast-time change is garbage.
  • Fiktius
    Fiktius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aisle9 wrote: »
    One thing I don't understand, tho...

Why is the shield nerf = sorc nerf ?

That's what what annoys me a lot in this shield nerf case. People hate Mag Sorc playstyle so much that they are not even thinking for a second that there are other classes who will suffer SIGNIFICANTLY from this shield cast time nerf.
    It went even worse when healing ward lost the heal which did help me to get out of the execute range in PvP.
    Now I have to seriously consider how I solve my healing issue in PvP - as a solo player - if I want to keep playing with my mag NB.
    Every time when there's a thread about shield cast time issue, thread gets filled with posts were people are trying to use mag Sorc playstyle as an example why this shield nerf is justified. It's so frustrating to see how blinded people are.
    But hey, something positive: it seems like soon we have a chance to get that marvelous Psijic Villa, where we can use the yard for building new graveyard for our light armor shield user characters. :)
    Edited by Fiktius on September 25, 2018 5:48PM
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »
    Jameliel wrote: »
    Because in PvP triple-shield-stacking sorcs are impossible to defeat. Everyone in PvP runs a sorc because of this, except for the handful of stam builds who are allergic to shields.

Because in PvE healers are waiting tables or begging in the streets. Everyone runs only sorcs in dungeons and trials, because insta-shields is godmode, meaning sorcs take absolutely no damage whatsoever while tanking bosses and healing the group.

Thus Nerf Sorc.

This is a lame excuse by someone who has a hard time beating sorcs. Show me a "shield stacking" sorc with enough sustain and power that's "impossible to kill".

Ah let's see in no particular order.

Reddington James
    Gundysorc
    Beautiful chocolate man
    True legend
    Perfectly perched pelican
    Methuselah
    King Richard when he used to play
    Sypherpk when he used to play

I'm sure I can think of a dozen more if I really tried. No doubt these are all very good players but with shield mechanics currently the way they are they are impossible to kill. They never run out of stamina and never let their shield down and hit like a truck. These pros have perfected their builds and have exploited shield mechanics forever. It's time shields got a Nerf. I don't agree with 1 sec cast time but when Sorcs are stacking 50-80k shields and hitting like a damn truck there is a problem. When the general mass players have adopted their builds even the average player feels like a god to fight against.

80k shields. Seems legit. Anyone wanna go for 100k?

Sarcasm noted. You can hit 80k or come pretty damn close to it wearing imperial physique set in IC. Try fighting a maxed out sorc wearing ip during the IC event. It's ***.

I’ve beat multiple sorcs wearing physique in the IC with my sorc with smaller shields
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NBs can't rolfstomp a shielded sorc, so they complained.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Those multiple people need to play smarter then.

Shields were fine as they were
    Edited by Valrien on September 25, 2018 5:48PM
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fiktius wrote: »

That's what what annoys me a lot in this shield nerf case. People hate Mag Sorc playstyle so much that they are not even thinking for a second that there are other classes who will suffer SIGNIFICANTLY from this shield cast time nerf.
    It went even worse when healing ward lost the heal which did help me to get out of the execute range in PvP.
    Now I have to seriously consider how I solve my healing issue in PvP - as a solo player - if I want to keep playing with my mag NB.
    Every time when there's a thread about shield cast time issue, thread gets filled with posts were people are trying to use mag Sorc playstyle as an example why this shield nerf is justified. It's so frustrating to see how blinded people are.
    But hey, something positive: it seems like soon we have a chance to get that marvelous Psijic Villa, where we can use the yard for building new graveyard for our light armor shield user characters. :)

It's a Sorc nerf because the sorc class is affected twice as much
  • Fiktius
    Fiktius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valrien wrote: »
    Fiktius wrote: »

It's a Sorc nerf because the sorc class is affected twice as much

Doesn't still justify people's reasoning why shield nerf should be fair in general, just because potatoes are having a hard time to burst through Sorcs shields. Also of course Sorcerers are affected A LOT in this case, but even then basing reasoning on that only is not okay.
    Edited by Fiktius on September 25, 2018 5:54PM
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karm1cOne wrote: »
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Cos sorcs cast harden ward, ward ally or what ever on the restro staff and harness magic ...

This gives them three shields and three utility aids to health regen damage mitigation and resource regen

Instead of simply making it so casting one shield over another cancels out the last one, or making it so all shields go on a cool down once one is cast preventing stacking they went a bit mental and added a cast time ... This allows sorcs to still have the buffs ... But now I stead of it being an "oh *** panic" and letting them still have an edge they're now forced to buff up prior to an engagement and if they don't get the kill they need to back up for a sheild buff ... This gives the opponent a window to get in at them ...

I understand ZoS thinking ... But they're blinded to the sorc problem and not the knock it will have to other sheild users who don't stack for pve

You know the cost for stacking 3 shields is like 10k magicka, right? And they only last 6 seconds, require 3 sec of gcd to cast in which you won't be able to attack, and also get burned through very quickly in no-cp. You can't continuously spam 3 shields while attacking, or even when just trying to defend. With battle spirit your magicka is like 36k, so you'll run out pretty quickly if you just spam.

https://youtu.be/Y_bWwrZcd_A

You want me to keep going ?

Even with animation canceling, its 3 global cooldowns. No getting around it.

The problem is clearly as I said earlier ..sheild stacking ...

Solution should not be to add a cast time ..

But when you cast one shield ... You can't cast another till the first has expired

So they can't be stacked
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoauspex wrote: »

That's a CP problem, not a shield problem.
  • Sophocles1
    Sophocles1
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry this is a noob question but I only just invested in making a shield based healplar. Is this nerfing my shields for the group also?
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cos sorcs cast harden ward, ward ally or what ever on the restro staff and harness magic ...

This gives them three shields and three utility aids to health regen damage mitigation and resource regen

Instead of simply making it so casting one shield over another cancels out the last one, or making it so all shields go on a cool down once one is cast preventing stacking they went a bit mental and added a cast time ... This allows sorcs to still have the buffs ... But now I stead of it being an "oh *** panic" and letting them still have an edge they're now forced to buff up prior to an engagement and if they don't get the kill they need to back up for a sheild buff ... This gives the opponent a window to get in at them ...

I understand ZoS thinking ... But they're blinded to the sorc problem and not the knock it will have to other sheild users who don't stack for pve

You know the cost for stacking 3 shields is like 10k magicka, right? And they only last 6 seconds, require 3 sec of gcd to cast in which you won't be able to attack, and also get burned through very quickly in no-cp. You can't continuously spam 3 shields while attacking, or even when just trying to defend. With battle spirit your magicka is like 36k, so you'll run out pretty quickly if you just spam.

But when you cast one shield ... You can't cast another till the first has expired

So they can't be stacked

Killing a stacking sorc is easy. Pressure their stamina. Count to 5, and cc, then burst. If they are stacking 3 shields, they have no stamina. That's on top of not being able to get a full dps rotation off- wrath, curse, reach,frags.
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So they can't be stacked

There is no problem with shield stacking. Other classes have access to heals, cloak, block spam, rolly-polly builds, and other forms of defense. Shield stacking is a sorc's defense, and it doesn't even negate all incoming damage like cloak and roll dodge do. A sorc's shields will get burned through very quickly by any competent damage-focused opponent in BGs.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing is wrong with shields on live.
    Just because some people can’t kill some Sorcerers doesn’t mean the rest of us have to be punished.
    Put a cool down on the Sorc shield but no cast time anywhere if you want to “solve” something that ain’t broke.
    Edited by max_only on September 25, 2018 9:57PM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • ColtonWebb777ub17_ESO
    ColtonWebb777ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I find most players who are happy about the nerf are experiencing learn to play issues and dont actually understand how shields work. A couple players who are just happy the nerf hammer hit shields and not them, but mostly just baddies.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thus Nerf Sorc.

This is a lame excuse by someone who has a hard time beating sorcs. Show me a "shield stacking" sorc with enough sustain and power that's "impossible to kill".

Reddington James
    Gundysorc
    Beautiful chocolate man
    True legend
    Methuselah

I'm sure I can think of a dozen more if I really tried. No doubt these are all very good players but with shield mechanics currently the way they are they are impossible to kill. They never run out of stamina and never let their shield down and hit like a truck. These pros have perfected their builds and have exploited shield mechanics forever. It's time shields got a Nerf. I don't agree with 1 sec cast time but when Sorcs are stacking 50-80k shields and hitting like a damn truck there is a problem. When the general mass players have adopted their builds even the average player feels like a god to fight against.

Sarcasm noted. You can hit 80k or come pretty damn close to it wearing imperial physique set in IC. Try fighting a maxed out sorc wearing ip during the IC event. It's ***.

You do realize that in IC You have battle spirit that cuts shields in half ? Basicly what You're saying is that You can have higher shields value then max magicka in PvP.

Now lets analyze the highest possible shields scenario where You have Hardened Ward , Dampen Magic and Healing Ward , You have 100% into bastion

First calculations for all the above abilities
    Hardened Ward - $1 = 0.389893 Magicka + 8.66e-05 SD + 3.07619
    Dampen Magic - $1 = 0.340909 Magicka + 3.23e-05 SD + 2.0439
    Healing Ward - $1 = 0.093037 Magicka + 0.977077 SD + 3.01955

So we can pretty much assume Hardened take ~0,39 of max magicka , Dampen ~0,34 max magicka and Healing Ward 0,09 max mag and 0,98 spell damage to create base shield value and later that value gets multiplied by percentage numbers. Lets assume that mighty Imperial physique user will have ~65k mag and 3k spell dmg (pretty farfetched stats) so according to this and fact we'll have 25% in Bastion and 50% battle spirit we'll get shields value : Hardened ~20k , Dampen (with 5 LA pieces which is 30% buff) ~17k , Healing Ward (which gives 300% shield strenght bonus with 1% health and 0% with full health) ~21k for 1% hp and ~5k for full health. So we end up with ~42-58k shields in highest possible scenario which lets be honest will never happen. Even then it's still pretty far from 80k or "pretty damm close". In reality it'll be something more between 35-50k. For the record it's not like other builds in Imperial Physique cannot come close with their tooltips to pretty high numbers.

Lack of knowledge is ignorance if You spread misinformation instead of checking are You right.

Edited by Juhasow on September 25, 2018 8:06PM
  • Phreeki
    Phreeki
    ✭✭✭
    Sarousse wrote: »
    Insane offense and insane defense simultaneously.

That's the problem. You should have to make a choice.

You wanna go glasscanon and hit ultra hard ? Then you shouldn't have that insane defense.

Then heavy armor stam toons with over 5k weapon damage wearing 7th legion and fury should also have to make this choice.
    But hey magsorc op. If you cant kill a magsorc the problem is not shields, its that you are a bad player/potato and this game is not for you.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »

Thus Nerf Sorc.

Reddington James
    Gundysorc
    Beautiful chocolate man
    True legend
    Methuselah

You do realize that in IC You have battle spirit that cuts shields in half ? Basicly what You're saying is that You can have higher shields value then max magicka in PvP.

Now lets analyze the highest possible shields scenario where You have Hardened Ward , Dampen Magic and Healing Ward , You have 100% into bastion

So we can pretty much assume Hardened take ~0,39 of max magicka , Dampen ~0,34 max magicka and Healing Ward 0,09 max mag and 0,98 spell damage to create base shield value and later that value gets multiplied by percentage numbers. Lets assume that mighty Imperial physique user will have ~65k mag and 3k spell dmg (pretty farfetched stats) so according to this and fact we'll have 25% in Bastion and 50% battle spirit we'll get shields value : Hardened ~20k , Dampen (with 5 LA pieces which is 30% buff) ~17k , Healing Ward (which gives 300% shield strenght bonus with 1% health and 0% with full health) ~21k for 1% hp and ~5k for full health. So we end up with ~42-58k shields in highest possible scenario which lets be honest will never happen. Even then it's still pretty far from 80k or "pretty damm close". In reality it'll be something more between 35-50k. For the record it's not like other builds in Imperial Physique cannot come close with their tooltips to pretty high numbers.

Lack of knowledge is ignorance if You spread misinformation instead of checking are You right.

Sorry forgot about the battle spirit. no need to be snarky and lecture me on the merits of spreading misinformation. Guess your one of those people who gets their jollies off proving people wrong and pointing out their ignorance. A simple correction would have sufficed. But hey thanks for doing the math and proving shields are op with the fact that shields can range up to 60k.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »

Thus Nerf Sorc.

Reddington James
    Gundysorc
    Beautiful chocolate man
    True legend
    Methuselah

Sorry forgot about the battle spirit. no need to be snarky and lecture me on the merits of spreading misinformation. Guess your one of those people who gets their jollies off proving people wrong and pointing out their ignorance. A simple correction would have sufficed. But hey thanks for doing the math and proving shields are op with the fact that shields can range up to 60k.

You're like one of those people that think vaccines cause autism because one study said so, aren't you?
    Edited by Valrien on September 26, 2018 5:00AM
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would in all honesty like to know how anyone could maintain 3 shields in either PVP or PVE without running out of magicka... or time.

Also to quote another post, people aren't ONLY running sorcs in dungeons. There serms to be a surfeit of Magblades atm. And the healer "reasoning" came from Wrobel whereas Rob Garrett said something about having to make a choice btw DPS and survivability, if I recall correctly (Garrett's I heard third hand). So... which is BS?
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER