The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Shield nerf

• Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    If it makes it past pts, I am cancelling eso plus and moving on. I'm done and I'm tired, and this game is 4 years old. There are other places I will give my money to if you start making cooldowns a thing in eso. The reason I like the game is it is fast paced, and mag needs INSTANT defense, not this nonsense that some potatoes thought up.

If it's so fast paced that you need instant defense all the time there is a problem.

And that's exactly why healers aren't as useful as they ought to be.

The issue isn't shields. That's just a band aid some players were using to help alleviate what is an error in the combat design. They need to slow it down instead of killing everyone instantaneously.

Ok, then be fair, and add cast time to ALL the classes.
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it makes it past pts, I am cancelling eso plus and moving on. I'm done and I'm tired, and this game is 4 years old. There are other places I will give my money to if you start making cooldowns a thing in eso. The reason I like the game is it is fast paced, and mag needs INSTANT defense, not this nonsense that some potatoes thought up.

couldn't agree more
    unfortunately we are the minority, and they would rather do what pleases the mass.
    so sick of biased stamina players
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    hell i already stopped paying eso plus
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thrain wrote: »
    Vahrokh wrote: »
    I have been around for every nerf zos has done, and judging by your comment, you are someone who joined when Morrowind dropped. My post was addressing the fact that this is not world of Warcraft. Cooldowns should never have been a part of this game and the fact that people are embracing it is telling. Wait; your class will get some nerf love too. I promise.

Just for the info i play since 3 years now not as long as you maybe but long enough to care less about nerfs.
    Wouldnt it be better to wait until murkmire releases instead of crying around in the first pts week about a nerf?
    And you say my class is going to get nerfs as well? Im pretty sure they will cuz i play every class :wink:

You usually want to steer your car BEFORE it crashes into a wall. Not to investigate on damage after it's done.

So what have sorcs to investigate then?
    The fact that we got 8 free charslots and 5 classes should be reason enough to care about nerfs less
    If i had 8 cars i can crash into a wall (without getting injured) and the cars would still be ok cuz sorc is still playable then i wouldnt care that much about it :wink:
    Sorc is still a playable class and if i said before i play all classes so dont act like i wouldnt get the nerf as well if it comes.
    Its just a bit pathetic that we need like 5+ threads about the same nerf in the first pts week...

I don't give a damn if you like to play 5 classes, I signed up and pay to play FIVE PvE SORCS and nothing else, ever.

They made the class crap in 2015 and I quit for 2 years (more than "the month" you said above) and I'll just quit for another 2 years again. No compromise, nothing. When we sign up to the game, we sign up a legally binding contract. I've honored my side of the contract, if ESO breaches theirs, then they can kiss my money good bye.

I have given $15,000 in the last 3 years to Star Citizen, ToA and other games crown funding, it's not about the money.

I can always check back in another 2 years, it's not ME who needs money. It's them.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's so fast paced that you need instant defense all the time there is a problem.

The issue isn't shields. That's just a band aid some players were using to help alleviate what is an error in the combat design. They need to slow it down instead of killing everyone instantaneously.

Or better yet, just leave shields alone and fix the real problem - which is the current combat design that relies so heavily on instant or near instant death mechanics at every turn - which is actually what is giving shields such an advantage in the first place due to its preemptive defense.

Shields are expensive and require a lot of upkeep to use - especially if you stack them. So they should provide a player with a crutch to rely on. That is the whole point of slotting defensive buffs in the first place.

This current development team is just obsessed with killing everyone. They need to turn it down a notch. Their game will be more fun to play if they do.
    Edited by Jeremy on September 25, 2018 1:51PM
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lazerlaz wrote: »

Learn to adapt. Remember when shield duration got nerfed and everyone cried bloody murder and that this game is dead and people will quit etc etc? Ya, you're doing the same thing, yet amazingly sorcs managed to stay the strongest and easiest class to play in PVE and PVP.

The problem is people with egos who play that class brag about how good they think they are when in reality it's a broken class with free undodgable damage, executes, and instant defense.

If you don't have anything constructive to say then don't say anything at all.

If I was ZOS I would just laugh at your empty threats against your own account.

Actually I'm laughing right now lol.

Dude! No! The problem is ZOS continues to make the game less fun. Folks should quit.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Or better yet, just leave shields alone and fix the real problem - which is the current combat design that relies so heavily on instant or near instead death mechanics at every turn.

Shields are expensive and require a lot of upkeep to use - especially if you stack them. So they should provide a player with a crutch to rely on. That is the whole point of slotting defensive buffs.

Shield stacking is garbage. Whoever thought it would be a good idea should be fired - I am actually fairly sure he does not work for ZOS any more and nobody shed a tear.

There's not a single game where mages need to use 3 shields. Normal game designers just use simple logic: "this class needs 12k shield to survive, not 3 x 4k shields, and then implement it.
    Ah, and regular designers create well VISIBLE shields, so the opponent can see his "progress" at destroying the shield. Not like ESO, where there's a tiny feedback and shields just seem undestructible and make people come cry nerf on the forums.
    Edited by Vahrokh on September 25, 2018 1:54PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or better yet, just leave shields alone and fix the real problem - which is the current combat design that relies so heavily on instant or near instead death mechanics at every turn.

Shields are expensive and require a lot of upkeep to use - especially if you stack them. So they should provide a player with a crutch to rely on. That is the whole point of slotting defensive buffs.

Shield stacking is garbage. Whoever thought it would be a good idea should be fired - I am actually fairly sure he does not work for ZOS any more and nobody shed a tear.

There's not a single game where mages need to use 3 shields. Normal game designers just use simple logic: "this class needs 12k shield to survive, not 3 x 4k shields, and then implement it.

Players who want to create an offensive character that relies on magical shields for defense should have that opportunity. It's a neat concept and I like it. I see no good reason to get rid of it.

Again - the real issue here isn't shield stacking. It's the current combat design that relies so heavily on instant death at every turn that it imbalances defensive options and makes preemptive defense more useful than reactive defenses (for example healing). And that's why healers are decreasing in effectiveness.

So get rid of all the instant death crap for anyone who doesn't have shields stacked on them and walla! healers are useful again.

This isn't that difficult to figure out and I don't know why the developers are struggling with it so.
    Edited by Jeremy on September 25, 2018 1:57PM
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭

+1
    This game is getting less fun patch after patch.

lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • Thrain
    Thrain
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something went wrong i guess^^
    Edited by Thrain on September 25, 2018 2:08PM
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    every patch people while and exaggerate, and every patch we continue to play.

take LoL for example. Everyone hated the new runes and masteries system and said it sucks and leave. Guess what, we learned to use it and now it's actually better than before.

people are afraid of the new, of the unknown.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Thrain
    Thrain
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been around for every nerf zos has done, and judging by your comment, you are someone who joined when Morrowind dropped. My post was addressing the fact that this is not world of Warcraft. Cooldowns should never have been a part of this game and the fact that people are embracing it is telling. Wait; your class will get some nerf love too. I promise.

Just for the info i play since 3 years now not as long as you maybe but long enough to care less about nerfs.
    Wouldnt it be better to wait until murkmire releases instead of crying around in the first pts week about a nerf?
    And you say my class is going to get nerfs as well? Im pretty sure they will cuz i play every class :wink:

You usually want to steer your car BEFORE it crashes into a wall. Not to investigate on damage after it's done.

So what have sorcs to investigate then?
    The fact that we got 8 free charslots and 5 classes should be reason enough to care about nerfs less
    If i had 8 cars i can crash into a wall (without getting injured) and the cars would still be ok cuz sorc is still playable then i wouldnt care that much about it :wink:
    Sorc is still a playable class and if i said before i play all classes so dont act like i wouldnt get the nerf as well if it comes.
    Its just a bit pathetic that we need like 5+ threads about the same nerf in the first pts week...

I don't give a damn if you like to play 5 classes, I signed up and pay to play FIVE PvE SORCS and nothing else, ever.

They made the class crap in 2015 and I quit for 2 years (more than "the month" you said above) and I'll just quit for another 2 years again. No compromise, nothing. When we sign up to the game, we sign up a legally binding contract. I've honored my side of the contract, if ESO breaches theirs, then they can kiss my money good bye.

I have given $15,000 in the last 3 years to Star Citizen, ToA and other games crown funding, it's not about the money.

I can always check back in another 2 years, it's not ME who needs money. It's them.

Its obvious that you dont give a damn about my playstyle and its obvious that i dont give a damn about your either :wink:
    PvE sorcs? Then learn animation canceling and there you go
    But the fact that some ppl are only able to play one class (wich is ok cuz ppl should enjoy the game) and then crying around about a nerf wich isnt even there in like 5+threads is a bit.....
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Thrain
    Begin learning how to quote.
    Who do you believe to impress with your lecturing, I've cleared all the content including most hm trials. I anim cancel as good as you do.

Also, it's not like I am "only able to". I WANT to only play one class. I have other single player and multiplayer games I enjoy (in example I love a surival, permanent death, player corpse looting other game and I spend hours on it. I am not going to play ESO for more than the class I love. Too much to do.
    Edited by Vahrokh on September 25, 2018 2:10PM
  • HansaBergen
    HansaBergen
    ✭✭✭
    Cheerio Cheerio bye bye! Can i have the 100k gold you get before you leave?
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

100k gold is not even worth logging in, it's for beggars. ;)
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bye
  • Thrain
    Thrain
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Thrain
    Begin learning how to quote.
    Who do you believe to impress with your lecturing, I've cleared all the content including most hm trials. I anim cancel as good as you do.

Also, it's not like I am "only able to". I WANT to only play one class. I have other single player and multiplayer games I enjoy (in example I love a surival, permanent death, player corpse looting other game and I spend hours on it. I am not going to play ESO for more than the class I love. Too much to do.

And now you are acting like a kid who got his candy stolen...oh wait your candy (ward) isnt even stolen now^^
    How many times do i have to repeat myself? I said crying around about a nerf wich isnt even there, it is in pts week 1 in like 5+ threads is pathetic.
    I hope you got it this time cuz i guess i cant write it easier^^
    Did i ever say this nerf is good? I dont think so but does crying makes it better?

Edited by Thrain on September 25, 2018 2:20PM
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm just gonna let ESO+ run out then i'm going to move on if warden nerfs continue after the patch, honestly will save me a packet on other games..

This game is way overpriced for what it effectively gives us.. Plus i don't give a flying rodent for ES and its lore.. I play this because its an ok fantasy game, or was..

I'm sick of *** servers anyway.
    Edited by DanteYoda on September 25, 2018 4:10PM
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you take some distance from the problem it becomes very clear to see:

1. ZOS has made the huge mistake of giving broken OP shields and heals to dps for a ridiculously long time, making them completely selfsufficient survivable without the need for tanks/healers for most content in the game.

2. ZOS finally sees the light -too late- and decides to take back what they should have never given to dps.

3. People become super emotional, scream and burn.

This aside it also has to be said that the WAY they choose to implement shield changes is wrong since in a fast paced game -both pve and pvp- a cast time on an emergency shield has no place. If you want to prevent stacking and spamming, put a CD on it, not a cast time.

Also this aside, the game is perfectly possible without a shield and stamina users are proof of that. If they really want to give an emergency shield to all dps they should not leave the stamina players out just because they have stamina to block and dodgeroll.
  • Massive_Stain
    Massive_Stain
    ✭✭✭✭

100k gold is not even worth logging in, it's for beggars. ;)

Agreed
    PC: CP 1200+ DroDest, Bringer of light
    PS4: CP 1500+ Dro Dest, SoTN, Bringer of light, CragHMs, EoF, IR, TTT
    Xbox: CP 450 Fungal Grotto 1 HM
  • Massive_Stain
    Massive_Stain
    ✭✭✭✭

1. ZOS has made the huge mistake of giving broken OP shields and heals to dps for a ridiculously long time, making them completely selfsufficient survivable without the need for tanks/healers for most content in the game.

2. ZOS finally sees the light -too late- and decides to take back what they should have never given to dps.

This aside it also has to be said that the WAY they choose to implement shield changes is wrong since in a fast paced game -both pve and pvp- a cast time on an emergency shield has no place. If you want to prevent stacking and spamming, put a CD on it, not a cast time.

Also this aside, the game is perfectly possible without a shield and stamina users are proof of that. If they really want to give an emergency shield to all dps they should not leave the stamina players out just because they have stamina to block and dodgeroll.

I agree with most of this except your last point. A light armor user needs the emergency shield and tbh, who actually cares about shield stackers. Isn't that what shield breaker and sloads is for?
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with most of this except your last point. A light armor user needs the emergency shield and tbh, who actually cares about shield stackers. Isn't that what shield breaker and sloads is for?

sure, I'm not advocating the removal of an emergency shield. Frankly I pro this feature. Was just pointing out how ridiculous overpowered the multishielding/multihotting has become including PVE to the point where people prefer to run 3dd with no healer in the group...

About the shield stacking. That's just simply not acceptable imho because it turns the game into rock paper scissors where people have to start equipping specific sets just to be able counter others specific sets...no...just no. It takes not only the fun but also the last bit of skill away because it completely become overshadowed by nothing but gear and makes the set you currently happen to wear not applicable to many situations you come across. It's just bad design in general to go rock paper scissors with over 200 sets in a game...
  • Massive_Stain
    Massive_Stain
    ✭✭✭✭

sure, I'm not advocating the removal of an emergency shield. Frankly I pro this feature. Was just pointing out how ridiculous overpowered the multishielding/multihotting has become including PVE to the point where people prefer to run 3dd with no healer in the group...

About the shield stacking. That's just simply not acceptable imho because it turns the game into rock paper scissors where people have to start equipping specific sets just to be able counter others specific sets...no...just no. It takes not only the fun but also the last bit of skill away because it completely become overshadowed by nothing but gear and makes the set you currently happen to wear not applicable to many situations you come across. It's just bad design in general to go rock paper scissors with over 200 sets in a game...

All I'm saying is a shield stacking sorc is kind of a needle in a haystack most of the time. Eventually they run dry of resources and it's game over for them. Why have such an uproar about something that can be countered so easily?
  • Jaavaa
    Jaavaa
    ✭✭✭✭
    lazerlaz wrote: »

Learn to adapt. Remember when shield duration got nerfed and everyone cried bloody murder and that this game is dead and people will quit etc etc?

If anyone breaks your finger or your neck, that’s a different right?
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

See ya later, kid. ;)

• Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *gets popcorn*

Always good drama to read at work when you see a "I'm quitting if X happens." ZOS and the Community Ambassadors don't care if you're quitting. People just want to make fun of you for being so weak-minded.
  • Itzmichi
    Itzmichi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One leaves 2 new come no biggy.
    Here, have a chill pill 💊!
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or better yet, just leave shields alone and fix the real problem - which is the current combat design that relies so heavily on instant or near instant death mechanics at every turn - which is actually what is giving shields such an advantage in the first place due to its preemptive defense.

Shields are expensive and require a lot of upkeep to use - especially if you stack them. So they should provide a player with a crutch to rely on. That is the whole point of slotting defensive buffs in the first place.

This current development team is just obsessed with killing everyone. They need to turn it down a notch. Their game will be more fun to play if they do.

Outside of 1v1, spamming shields means you're not on the offensive. Unlike stamina which can apply passive defenses and go full metal offense.
  • Massive_Stain
    Massive_Stain
    ✭✭✭✭

Outside of 1v1, spamming shields means you're not on the offensive. Unlike stamina which can apply passive defenses and go full metal offense.

Precisely
    Itsmichi wrote: »
    One leaves 2 new come no biggy.

People like you apparently just got here. Have you seen the end game scene? Wonder why everything's a progression nowadays?