The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

High-Res textures out of focus/blurring randomly (Character/NPC models)

xylus289_ESO
xylus289_ESO
✭✭✭
From yesterday to tonight, I've noticed that my high resolution textures seem to be out-of-focus or blurring, until I walk up to that player/NPC. Since I've returned some four months ago from vanilla, I haven't even had this problem until now.

Haven't changed my settings from all high/Ultra. Some settings I always have off because I dont care for them, like bloom, depth of field, distortion, and reflections. I maintain 60fps normally. Is this happening to anyone else suddenly?

ps- specs are decent; Nvidia GTX 1080 Founder's, i7-6800K CPU@3.4ghz and as far as I can tell, all my hardware is working correctly.
Edited by xylus289_ESO on September 25, 2018 2:47AM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't noticed it any more than normal.

You can completely eliminate it by changing the "skipMipLevels" (something like that) setting in the setting.txt file to - 3.

Be warned though, this can have quite the impact on FPS. I know some set it to - 2 for an improvement with less of an impact on performance.
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not every character loads in with high resolution textures, often times the characters not on screen will lower their resolution. First characters load in black then low res then high res, guessing this is probably a network issue triggering it for you, likely on ZOS end.
    Master Debater
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: ah another user here commented about setting MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS "-3", that is probably the one you need to do, -2 or -3, not just 0.

Could be the MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS setting? Try setting to 0, that should make the game prioritize loading textures almost immediatly. If you gfx card can't handle that you'll get lagspikes while it loads the textures. Your GPU seems more than capable however. It may not be the cause, but it could be worth a try.

Even with that setting set to 0, while heaps better than 2, I have noticed that the high res texture will still not load fast enough to not notice low res when approaching characters.
    Edited by Jayman1000 on September 25, 2018 3:12AM
  • xylus289_ESO
    xylus289_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers you guys. Ill try this tomorrow before I login. Goodnight and rest easy!

Hail Sithis! ;)