The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Will you use empowerard ward after next patch?

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    bardx86 wrote: »
    Nox_Noir wrote: »
    I absolutely hate cast times. They are probably the worst thing about ESO combat. If that cast time thing goes live, the skill will be dead to me.

Is there anything that would make the cast time worth it?

NO! NO! NO! Cast time = dead in PVP. Its a stupid idea. It does nothing to even address the problem ZOS stated. It only adds and artificial delay to my reaction time. Its not fun!

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5469409/#Comment_5469409

The reason I ask this is because you can see a Dev note. The cast time is unfortunately likely here for next patch.
    There are a lot of feedback and videos, and ideas for last days, so please provide them to devs, because I don't know about you rest, but I enjoy abilities without cast time. There are almost all of them without cast time. So it's unfair to make it for sorc.

We will do our best to express the players concerns.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tasear The best way, the best solution.

Instead of increasing cast time to 1 second, the cost should be increased. Healing Ritual is an example: the ability had 1 sec cast time and now is instant cast, with increased cost.
    • Annulment costs have been increased to 7290 Magicka from 4590 Magicka. That is, an increase of 59%.
    • Conjured Ward costs have been increased to 5580 (+59%), 5890 (+68%) or 6210 (+77%) Magicka from 3510 Magicka. Respectively, the Empowered Ward cost would be 5160, 5440 or 5740.

Unfortunately, something needs to be done. Increased cost has worked before, may work again. No shield spam!

This is a bad suggestion. I'd rather have a 1 second delay before activation, with the cast time being instant.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorc is wrecked even for pve.
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the longer duration help keep your pets alive?

Is 10% regain for 10 secs a good buff for the group?
    Don't get me wrong, but we must to try to change their mind about cast time. Your mood is very strange. Like you know somesthing that we all don't? Then share about it please.

Again there are good video from @Alcast also other videos I hide with spoiler
    Comments to videos are pretty significant - a lot of people think cast time make playstyle slower and not fun and think cast time kills any skill.
    Please focus on cast time. It has no logic even because most of abilities in this game don't have cast time, so why sorcerer shoudl have it? It automatically makes combat slower, less fun. This things are pretty obvious.
    I'm sure there is another way they can add their changes to shields, but left instant cast time to save combat playstyle more dynamic and fun. And I forgot about lag & ping issues in PVP for example! In prime time in big fights in Cyrodil even instant abilities have delay sometimes, so imagine how it will be with 3 sec cast ward + lag delay. Again on PTS cast time is more than 1 second - it's like 3 or more.

I and I think others aggree that shields need changes, our main frustration about cast time delay, which is not exactly shield change, more like playstyle change, slower playstyle. There must be a way to provide their changes without cast time. Thanks.
    Edited by ruikkarikun on September 22, 2018 4:07AM
  • Kerioko
    Kerioko
    ✭✭✭✭
    They need to just make a buff system for shields:

- shields like Hardened and Annulment that scale off a damage resource pool as major shields
    - shields that scale of health (or missing health) like igneous, healing ward, & bone shield (on caster) count as minor shields

- You can only self cast 1 major and 1 minor shield on yourself like hardened and healing ward
    - Minor shields cast by other players on you stack, igneous from tank will stack with healing ward from healer

Then revert the shield critting, resistance, and cast time changes. All this does is weaken light armor while buffing the *** out of tanks.

You do away with shield stacking on sorcs, while still allowing other magicka classes to have a viable shield. You also free up sorcs another bar slot because they now have to choose between hardened and annulment, not both.

So two main problems are addressed, sorcs no longer can shield stack for crazy amounts and they now have another bar slot for another skill.

If you want to also add a nerf to shields for PVE, nerf the size of the shields by 25%, but also do away with the battle spirit nerf for shields since they will already be 25% less effective and can't be stacked.
    Dinosaur Chicken Nuggets - Argonian mNB Tank/Heals (PVP)
    Strawberry Semifreddo - Dunmer mSorc DPS // Sunny D-Light - Breton mTemp Heals
    Peanut Butter Sandwich - Orc sDK DPS // Kellogg's Frosted Flakes - Argonian mWard Tank/Heals (PVE)
    Cor-Leonis
    friendship - integrity - perseverance
  • OrdoHermetica
    OrdoHermetica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the cast time makes it in for either shield, I won't use it. Not out of spite or rage or anything, but because it simply stops being a useful skill for me. The increased duration is next to useless for me in the way I use damage shields - my shields are burned through well before they expire 90% of the time even at their current 6 seconds. Especially in PvP and vet content, increased duration means very little, as shields are up against extremely high damage spikes, and without the ability to immediately recast them, I am far better off finding a different solution (be that heavy armor or constantly running a resto backbar or something, though that sounds kinda terrible for build diversity).
    Edited by OrdoHermetica on September 22, 2018 2:48AM
  • Onmari
    Onmari
    No, I won't use empowered ward with the proposed cast time. The indelicate constipation animation combined with the delayed cast? Its embarrassing, weird, ineffective and .. now contentious. To play I will need a shield or some form of instant damage mitigation / heal that isn't a potion. Why that is being stripped from my class and from other magicka classes is confusing.
  • frankwchenzo
    frankwchenzo
    ✭✭
    Oh, if ZOS is really going to make up the cast time nerf, solution is simple: TRIPLE THE TIME AND STRENTH. And make it actually more useful and unkillable to stack shields.

That'not a joke. If in PTS2 they ARE going to make shields' casting unable to interrupt, with or without this change, heavy&&protective magsorc, meaning stacking resistance will soon be a more seriously problem, even harder to kill than those light armor shields stacker on live.

I can TOTALLY UNDERSTAND why this stupid cast time nerf is out. BUT PLS, REVERT THIS .

A better way to change shields is not adding a cast time, but delay the shields impact time like some ppls said above, or make it less reward when you don't cast it in advance. Like hots and dots, we can have Shield over Time. Instead of getting shields all in once, you now can charge your shield over time, gaining a X damage shield in 3/6/9 sec( numbers are just randomly picked to show this idea), and if the shield is completely destroyed while charging, it will not charge anymore. BUT if it isn't, after the final tick of this, it will grant you a LARGER(like 25k, or even 30K?) and LONGER(like 15s or more?) shield.

In order to gain the full strenth of this kind of shield, you really need to cast it before any huge damage comes to you. Also the initial tick of this can be a little bit stronger in order to help you when you really need to spam shields, and if it's destroyed before the final tick it can grant you a small size shield. And the ticks of Shield over time can crit... Many ways to do the math and make it just exactly the way you want it to be and better than adding a stupid cast time.

So pls, if you can talk any sense to zos' combat team, DON'T MAKE THIS CHANGE GO LIVE.
    Edited by frankwchenzo on September 22, 2018 4:18AM
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bardx86 wrote: »
    Nox_Noir wrote: »
    I absolutely hate cast times. They are probably the worst thing about ESO combat. If that cast time thing goes live, the skill will be dead to me.

Is there anything that would make the cast time worth it?

NO! NO! NO! Cast time = dead in PVP. Its a stupid idea. It does nothing to even address the problem ZOS stated. It only adds and artificial delay to my reaction time. Its not fun!

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5469409/#Comment_5469409

The reason I ask this is because you can see a Dev note. The cast time is unfortunately likely here for next patch.

Their entire reasoning is based on a faulty premise- that the way this cast time will lead to "having to choose between damage and survivability" will make the game more interesting. And let's disregard their claim a year ago that the reason for the Morrowind debacle was that they thought that would make the game more interesting.

I main a petsorc DPS, and I generally pull between 34 and 37k self-buffed, which is already on the low end of the class spectrum, to the point that, particularly with crappy pet mechanics being as they are, sometimes it feels like the only reason I'm allowed in groups for vet trials on my petsorc is that I'm fortunate enough to be in guilds that don't mind it as much. As a petsorc doing heavy attacks, I can sustain fairly well, but already take a hit to dps because they buffed light attack damage and I am incapable of sustaining a light attack rotation on my sorc (I've tried, repeatedly). Now this guy wants me to build for more survivability, sacrificing more damage and more sustain. Because he's decided that makes the game more interesting.

You know what's not interesting, or at least not remotely fun? Constant grey screens and death recaps. Watching my friends and guild mates die around me, dying myself, and us not being able to complete content we used to be able to, either because our damage is too low or we just can't survive. Trying to figure out how the heck, if at all, I can play and contribute in the content I enjoy (vet trials progression with my guildmates) on the class I have played since I started and which has the lion's share of my playtime and achievements (it's not even close) in such a way that I'm still able to fulfill my role as DPS against anything but the ground and don't let down my guild members. Seeing people prepare to leave the game in droves while others claim this is somehow for the greater health of the game and others shout that we brought this on ourselves.

All because rather than fixing pet AI, mechanics that make them a liability to the group or kill the pets over and over again, or Yokeda Kai in vHRC, or all sorts of stuff in vMA (all of which we've been pointing out for months), rather than figuring out how to change mechanics that so strongly disadvantage stamina toons in places like vAS or vCR or improve their survivability (making them actually able to fill a spot in a way that's not "these mag toons got so frustrated they gave up"), rather than anything else, this guy I barely even know and a combat team that feels pathologically incapable of only pulling one or two levers at a time (shields taking poison/enchant effects, taking crits, getting resists, the cast time- that's four, possibly five, levers pulled all at once) and noting the results before doing more changes have decided to spend their valuable and limited quarterly development resources on this. What's worse, based on the very response you linked, hitting shields like this is just their first step in this bewilderingly misguided endeavour. So, assuming this does go live, while we're trying to make sense of this and pick up the pieces in the giant boot-shaped crater we'll find ourselves in, we also get to wonder where the next shoe will drop and whom it will squish. Yay!

Just to be clear, @Tasear , none of my anger or frustration is directed at you or the other class reps. Y'all are in an unenviable position I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, and y'all seem to be trying your best. To answer some of your actual questions based on what PTS experience I have, no, increasing the max possible duration does absolutely nothing (it still seems to last 5 seconds, if that, so everything above that feels like an empty gesture). The pet does in fact die while I'm trying to recast my shield, either from being focused or because I was killed. And nothing I can think of makes the clunky unreliability of an allegedly one second cast time worth it to me.

Also, lest the devs share the belief I've seen several times, a magsorc will not learn what it's like to be a stamdk from these changes. A magsorc does not have the defensive kit a stamdk does. They have less resistance. They have weaker armor. They don't have as much stam to block or dodge roll. They have (or perhaps had, after this change goes through) a shield. So no. Assuming they don't just give up magsorc and reroll a stamdk, they won't learn what it's like to be one. What it looks like they might be learning, assuming they're even welcome in vet trials, is how to be growled at even more for being a "fake dps" (as building to survive will mean middle tier magsorcs take a dps hit we just can't afford while the folks in the ceiling dps-wise may just shrug it off) or how to stare at a lot of grey death screens.

Because, you know, apparently that's interesting gameplay.

EDIT: To answer your title question, as of now, I don't know. With every passing day, I'm less and less sure I'm going to be playing sorc next patch. A week ago my biggest concern was improving my daedric prey uptime to improve my dps, and now I'm trying to figure out if I'll even be able to dps at all.
    Edited by BrightOblivion on September 22, 2018 5:24AM
  • PathwayM
    PathwayM
    ✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts on what would be necessary for sorcerer if the changes to shields go live: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5473229
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't use the skill if it has a cast time. Cast times make combat far, far too slow, and I find them un-fun/inappropriate for the action sort of combat ESO (seemed to, or so I thought) strive for.

We've complained for years about how clunky the overload 3rd bar was. Instead of fixing it they flat out removed it - and now, somehow, we're expected to be fine with a clunky cast time on a skill? Not sure how they arrived at the conclusion that this was a sensible decision.
    Edited by Tonturri on September 22, 2018 8:22AM
  • StShoot
    StShoot
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you pls give us a magicia morph of vigor than ? Would be nice for pve....
  • StShoot
    StShoot
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. I currently use it in most group content, and in Magicka heavy trials (vAS and vCR) I try to pop it every 10s to give the group good Minor Intellect uptime. Giving up one skill out of 10 is worth it, but with the cast time this would become 2/10 and requires giving up too much in a DPS rotation.

The extended duration of the shield doesn’t even help with this, since the regen buff duration was not extended. If it takes 2 GCD’s and a skipped light attack to cast, then the duration of the buff needs to be more than doubled.

Additionally, the Warhorn toughness nerf means that Warden healers will be mandatory for a lot of content. This would be about equivalent making the Ebon set exclusive to DK tanks, RIP build diversity. As an effect, everyone will already have Minor Intellect from Warden heals so it will be redundant for Sorcerers to use Empowered Ward.

Last but not least, I cannot stand cast time skills. They completely break the flow of combat, and drain all the fun. I’ve never been able to really enjoy the Templar class because of all the cast time and channeled skills, and pet resummoning animations have been a strong deterrent for me running pet sorc or magwarden. Even the Psijic channeled acceleration is annoying to use IMO, and that one only needs to be cast every 36s, with low consequence if it drops off. Cast time on shields is an extremely bad idea that I am 100% opposed to.

So potentially a longer duration could make up for losts?

No because shields dont stay up for so long, thats also the case for the light amor shield. If i think to have channeltime shields at the endboss of march of sacrifices ... get a nice big bleeding, have some wolves on you during/after the mistphase xD yeah sounds like fun. Zos should finaly drop the idea of adding casttime and cooldowns to every ability.
    But if zos listened to feedback they wouldnt be the zos we all love, right ? xD
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't tested it enough to decide. I did a few rounds in vMA with it and it seemed very clanky. It's near impossible to use it in an effective way during combat, I could only benefit from it when I used it before the next round of mobs spawned. And this was in a solo content which is to some degree predictable. I dread to think about trial end-game and PvP...
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For PVE the longer duration might be slighly useful. Dont know how often the shield would actually hold beyond the 9s duration of Hardened Ward.

For PVP duration is completely pointless because every shield will be gone in less than 6s.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will use people casting empowered ward for AP.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the longer duration help keep your pets alive?

Is 10% regain for 10 secs a good buff for the group?

It only helps where you dont need it.

If shields get burned thru the length wont help they will have to be recast.

• Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tasear

It might be worth it when you are running heavy armor b/c shields might be strong enough and you could make up for some of the lost meager regen / sustain.

But if the cast time nerf goes live I won't be around to find out.
    If I wanted to play slow-*** PvP I'd play WoW.
    Edited by Galarthor on September 23, 2018 11:00PM
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. That duration isn't gonna make a difference in how long my shield stays up when taking damage.
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to play on my sorcerer. My group and I are trying to finish all the dungeon achievements before the next patch. After that will solely focus on my dk tank and sorc is going to be the mule. Cancelled my eso plus subscription so will need more space in the bank for all the crafting stuff.

Sorcerers are already bad, especially on consoles where you have to deal with more stuff and no add-on is holding your hand in a trial. For you PC crowd with your mechanics count downs and tips it will be easier to use a shield when you need to.

Zos saw how easy it is for you to beat any content and threw everyone else in the same bag. And now everyone who plays magicka has to suffer the consequences.

For people progressing through trials on consoles shields are usually the last line of defence when they're not completely 100% focused and have a great raid leader watching over them. This patch is messed up.
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat