The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[STEAM] Launcher issue

InfinityIncarnate
Hello there.

This is mostly aimed at the devs for them to correct.

It would seem that there is an issue with the launcher that has been downloaded with the Steam client.

The issue many have been facing when they've just downloaded the game via Steam is that when they open the launhcer they're presented with an install button rather than a play button - both my fiancée and myself included have faced this. It would seem that when the launcher is run it checks for the client version in the wrong installation directory, hence why the button changes to an install button. Clicking the install button launches the setup.exe, which the prompts for an installation directory, which is where many has the issue - they don't have enough disk space to begin the installation. However, here is the thing, Steam has already installed a WORKING version of the game. I know this for a fact because I've tested this before I applied the workaround, because I was able to launch the game from this location: \Steamapps\Common\Zenimax Online\game\client\eso64.exe and even login - which proves that it indeed was a working version that Steam had installed, so why the second installation? This supports that the launcher is INCORRECTLY configured in relation to the Steam version installation.

The workaround I applied on my own game installation was running the setup.exe, then copying the launcher folder from the resource.zip located in temp folder when the setup.exe is running.
Launcher folder was copied to the Zenimax Online root folder and exectuted from there, which ran the launcher which updated the launcher - NOT the game and only a few megabytes was downloaded to update the launcher. After the launcher was updated the install button was changed to a play button. HOWEVER, this workaround didn't work on my fincées installation. On her installation I tried several things, including copying specific files from my installation to hers while omitting specific files and deleting specific version files from her installation - which didn't work, so instead I ended up with removing her removing all files from withing her installation folder and then copying my ENTIRE installation to her installation folder. When the launcher was executed it verified the files and downloaded some 8gbs and then then the button changed from install to play.

This for many will be way too much to do just to get the game working when they don't have the space to have the game installed twice.

The fix for this seems quite straight forward - make it possible to change the installation directory from within the launcher WITHOUT having to reinstall nor re-download the entire game.

It may be that I've gotten this to work for me, my fiancée and a few others, but having to resort to workarounds just to be able to play the game really doesn't seem viable, and many would probably just uninstall and not look back, unless they really want to play the game.

So devs, fix this ASAP.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tested this before I applied the workaround, because I was able to launch the game from this location: \Steamapps\Common\Zenimax Online\game\client\eso64.exe and even login -

FYI, this is how you should launch the game even if the Launcher does not have this issue. Make sure Steam is running and use a shortcut to the ESO64.EXE.

The launcher is and has been a work in progress, sometimes spamming spurious error messages that don't apply. Even then, it is simply one more program that has to initialize, contact the ZOS Servers to download some news and status, then once it is happy with the current events, lets you launch the game.

As you can tell, I am not a fan of the Launcher and I never ever use it unless it's a Patch Day. Even then, I close the launcher after the patch and use the shortcut.

Now, this does not mean I disagree with the need to fix the issue that makes the game want to install again. I wonder if this is a new issue as I have not heard of this particular problem before. So, maybe the last time they updated the launcher they forgot there is a Steam Launcher with a different install patch out there. I wonder if the patcher part of the launcher knows where the game is currently installed...

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• InfinityIncarnate
    Nestor wrote: »
    I've tested this before I applied the workaround, because I was able to launch the game from this location: \Steamapps\Common\Zenimax Online\game\client\eso64.exe and even login -

FYI, this is how you should launch the game even if the Launcher does not have this issue. Make sure Steam is running and use a shortcut to the ESO64.EXE.

The launcher is and has been a work in progress, sometimes spamming spurious error messages that don't apply. Even then, it is simply one more program that has to initialize, contact the ZOS Servers to download some news and status, then once it is happy with the current events, lets you launch the game.

As you can tell, I am not a fan of the Launcher and I never ever use it unless it's a Patch Day. Even then, I close the launcher after the patch and use the shortcut.

Now, this does not mean I disagree with the need to fix the issue that makes the game want to install again. I wonder if this is a new issue as I have not heard of this particular problem before. So, maybe the last time they updated the launcher they forgot there is a Steam Launcher with a different install patch out there. I wonder if the patcher part of the launcher knows where the game is currently installed...

I'm not using the launcher either to launch the game.

Well, lets just say that the Steam community has a ton of new daily posts about this issue, I've been trying to help people getting around this issue.

It would be rather easy to fix though...

IF the install button presents itself, then the setup should allow for two things.
    1/ Locate an already existing installation - basically pointing to the client executable.
    2/ Install the game.

It would be optimal if it would check from the root of the installation folder for an already existing client installation.
  • InfinityIncarnate
    By the way, the workaround that I've been using and the one that I've made available on Steam is this one:
    This is the workaround...
  • InfinityIncarnate
    This issue I can see has still not been fixed, as I frequently and even today I've had people - new players - who've found the tutorial helpful and solved their problem. I posted this tutorial on the 1st of december 2017, so I'm wondering why when this is something that is very easy to fix, why it has not already been fixed, because not fixing it will deter people from playing the game because its too much of a hassle to get the game working. This could be quite a lot of new players that you're losing because of this issue, because the majority will most likely just uninstall and move on.

Does this issue not matter since it hasn't been fixed yet?
  • B4byB34r
    B4byB34r
    Soul Shriven
    I had the same issue, and didn't find any way to get it to work. I assume something went wrong during the installation that resulted in a corrupt launcher file. I ended up unpurchasing the game from Steam and repurchase the game directly from their website, using their normal installer, and the game functions without issue now.

I've never had any issues installing games from Steam before, and with all the odd bugs mentioned by frustrated users online my guess is the blame lies on the Zenimax devs for not properly implementing their game through Steam.

I'm glad the game works now but honestly it was a very frustrating process that really should have been avoided.
  • InfinityIncarnate
    B4byB34r wrote: »
    I had the same issue, and didn't find any way to get it to work. I assume something went wrong during the installation that resulted in a corrupt launcher file. I ended up unpurchasing the game from Steam and repurchase the game directly from their website, using their normal installer, and the game functions without issue now.

I've never had any issues installing games from Steam before, and with all the odd bugs mentioned by frustrated users online my guess is the blame lies on the Zenimax devs for not properly implementing their game through Steam.

I'm glad the game works now but honestly it was a very frustrating process that really should have been avoided.

You're not alone in this experience, there are so many who have this experience, if it weren't for my guide put up on steam, more people would uninstall and get the game refunded. It should be hassle-free, no one should be dealing with this kind of hassle when one has just bought the game and downloaded around 89-90 gigs worth of data and suddenly finds him or -herself in the position of the game ending up taking the double in size, not to mention some won't even be able to get past that point due to not having enough space to finalize the installation - which already should be installed at this point.

Considering I made the initial post here early december and I still have people who regularly use the guide and actually thank me on the page, shows its very much so still a problem. Honestly, Zenimax should've fixed this ASAP and should've fixed this issue by now, but they haven't done that yet, so considering they're being paid to do it but haven't done so says something about Zenimax. With it not being fixed it potentially means they're losing possible customers each and every day but it also means its at the expense of the community and the current playerbase. Had I been paid then I would've found a solution and implemented it already, and I've already presented a possible solution here in this very thread. So I wonder why they haven't fixed this already.
  • InfinityIncarnate
    DEVS!! When are you going to fix the launcher? I still have people who come to my thread on Steam thanking me for it and telling me that the workaround still works, this tells me that you have not fixed it when people still need to apply this workaround.

...so I ask again, WHEN are you devs going to fix the launcher? There are people quitting to play ESO on a consistent basis, due to this issue, people regretting to have made the purchase through Steam because of this issue. This isn't a Steam issue, but an ESO issue, because the problem lies with the launcher.
  • InfinityIncarnate
    So.... We're in 2021, April 1st, and I'm still seeing people who've been helped by my guide - This is NO aprils fools joke.
    How can this be? It's 3 years, 4 months and 1 day since I made that guide, and even back then it had been as issue for quite some time - But this issue still persists to this day?

Seriously, devs, why do you allow this problem to persist for so long, it's really an easy fix.
    I don't think this is fair to the playerbase, that you don't fix such glaring issues when being made aware of it, especially when this is a PAID game!

This isn't difficult to fix, so why is it that you don't fix it? Don't you guys think it's about time you actually do something about this and fix it? ...so when can we expect you to fix this?

Thank you.

PS. Anyone who reads this who has the proper authority, please do see to it that this issue gets taken care of ASAP, as it's way overdue.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is now four years old some information is out of date. If you are running into launcher issues please go ahead and start a new discussion for assistance.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.