Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Introducing the Hollowjack Crown Crate Season & Giveaway!"

• Atallanta
    Atallanta
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tyrion87 wrote: »
    Nah, I'll pass. Too Halloween-ish season for my blood and I don't like these kinds of things. Will be awkward to use most of this stuff outside of Halloween.

What a pity though that you listed the chicken as a legendary reward... it's like 100 gems to get the chicken?!

And 300 gems for a gem-only netch? Ugh... The price tendency is increasing noticeably.

And where is the Dark Shaman costume?!

I was waiting for Dark Shaman too! :( well at least there’s Glenmoril Witch Robes and it’s in epic tier. I know some folks will be glad to see treasure hunter costume back.

Gem exclusive item for 300 gems.. Are you guys serious?! It’s 3/4 of an apex.

Overall I am happy with this season, as there's only 1-2 items I want from it.

• Atallanta
    Atallanta
    ✭✭✭✭
    Radiance wrote: »
    Bring back the Black Cat with the Red Ribbon!!!

YESSSS!!! Please I need this kitty in my life ^^ Also add Siamese cat pls :D
  • Atallanta
    Atallanta
    ✭✭✭✭
    Delpi wrote: »
    Am I the only one that don't like the polymorph horse rider? This would look stupid when Halloween is over.

I feel same way, but I'll wait to see how they look in game
  • FreshlyB8ked
    FreshlyB8ked
    ✭✭✭✭
    The gem only pet makes some sense. We've been getting a lot of free gems from twitch and monthly rewards and they want to remove some of that from the system. Seems ok to me.

Except 2/3 of their player base has been excluded day one from the twitch rewards. Seems pretty crappy in the end if you ask me.
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope the spider pet is bigger than that skein spider from crates. Like... the normal size of a common frostbite spider.
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Hollowjack_Crate

Looks like UESP is being updated for the crates.

Elderscrolls.net also has a handful of images of new items that UESP doesn't have yet from a previous Data-mine:
    https://elderscrolls.net/2018/07/10/28901-tes-online-budushhee-kronnogo-magazina-obnovlenie-4-1-0/2/

Interestingly enough, we already get the "Decayed Zombie" skin in Scalecaller Crates. Never seen anything above Green quality get repeated in crates!
    Edited by B0SSzombie on September 12, 2018 10:20PM
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, I'll pass. Too Halloween-ish season for my blood and I don't like these kinds of things. Will be awkward to use most of this stuff outside of Halloween.

What a pity though that you listed the chicken as a legendary reward... it's like 100 gems to get the chicken?!

And 300 gems for a gem-only netch? Ugh... The price tendency is increasing noticeably.

And where is the Dark Shaman costume?!

couldn't agree more.

• Roxie5D
    Roxie5D
    ✭✭✭
    When halloween is over it'll be weird riding headlessly on a creepy horse. Or would it? ....
    Gotta say how stuff looks ingame first. But either way, gotta start saving up! ^^
  • Lygatto
    Lygatto
    ✭✭
    I'm a little disappointed that both the Decayed Zombie skin and Zombie Personality are both in the crates rather than the latter remaining purchasable through crowns, although I can see the reasoning behind the choice. My fault for not picking it up during its few runs in the crown store, I suppose. :')

I'm very excited for some of the new items this season, though. I've been looking forward to the Hircine-themed cosmetics ever since they were datamined, and now they're nearly here! Plus, the return of the Glenmoril Witch robe is perfect in its timing, as I've been thinking to create a Wyress character. I skipped out on the costume while it was in the crown store because I didn't have any characters or character ideas at the time for which it would have fit, but I always thought it looked nice, and I'm glad that I have a second chance, especially for the price. I have a deep appreciation for the fact that the majority of recycled crown costumes are 40 gems a piece or less. <3 Generally, the selection is a bargain, as is this one-- Though I do wish they had returned the Dark Shaman costume as many others have voiced. It would have fit perfectly within the theme of the crates. :<

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the gem-exclusive direction ZOS is trying to slip into these crates, though. As some others have noted, introductions of systems such as these are often the start of a trend, and this one is going to be a no from me. I'm not normally a fan of gambling, but I appreciate that with crown crates they offer currency you can acrue in the case that you don't get what you want so that you can get what you want. If the only way to receive the item you want is through the currency, however, it becomes starkly more unattractive. Look at the 300 crown gem price of this pet, for instance:

Sometimes you can obtain around 30 gems from a single box, though in my experience, this is uncommon, so let's work through minimums. Collectibles are irredeemable for gems until you receive a duplicate of that item, so let's say someone buys Hollowjack crates without owning any of the contents in advance:

First five crates, 4 gems each (3 cards of misc. consumables, one card unowned collectible).

From there on, let's up the gem acquisition by a generous, if inaccurate, average of 10 gems per crate (minimum assumption of 3 cards of misc. consumables, one card owned collectible)

Going off of a loose minimum, to earn 300 gems, enough for the crown-gem exclusive pet, one would have to purchase 33 crown crates, roughly $70+ USD varying on the crown pack purchased.
    PLUS, they would be unable to use those gems for any other unobtained crown crate items they're interested in.

Supposing someone draws the resplendent sweet roll on their first crate, their grind could be shortened to a single crate. It's also fair to point that I made the assumption through loose minimums, so there's a chance someone could earn enough crown gems in half the number of crates, drawing the price tag down to something more similar to promotional crown store purchases (though 15 crates would be still be around $30+ USD, while most promotional pets would average $15+ USD). It's the luck of the draw for crown gems themselves that makes it so unsettling, though.

Returning to assumed minimums, if one wanted an Apex mount, they may not get it in 30 crates, but there's a fair chance they'll have enough crown gems to get one. If they want an Apex mount and the crown-gem exclusive item, though, they're made to choose between one or the other, lest they purchase even more crown crates and send that already high $70+ USD price tag into the triple-digits.

If it's a new marketing idea in order to accrue more money from the big spenders of the community... Don't they already provide enough profit through the exorbitant prices of player housing? Crown Crates are already a gambling system as they are-- It feels a bit disgusting to add an additional gamble on top of a gamble.
    Edited by Lygatto on September 12, 2018 11:17PM
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I call dibs on the hollowjack crates
    Edited by Skullstachio on September 12, 2018 11:45PM
    "When the human race learns to read the language of symbolism, a great veil will fall from the eyes of men." ~Manly P. Hall
  • Khipu
    Khipu
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance for 3 free crates, but I don't think I'll meet 'ol Florence just to try to get mine!
    Have fun guys~
    Sejreia-Efeliel-Olympias-Emerald Ire-Asifi Kare-Skips~on~Starfire-Everbloom-Sugrahdun-Elsreia-Ceruval
    PC NA
    MMORPG:2004-2019
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty. - @Cundu_Ertur
    “Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.” ― Walt Whitman
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom I evacuated due to hurricane Florence. Any chance the dates for earning free crates gets moved for those affected by the storm?
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yaaaaaaaaay! I'm soooooo excited!!! :grin:
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Acererak arise! Seriously that's cool and I want it.
    3d5325120445a76acd555250cc4bf0d7.jpg

Gem only Netch pet, is this the first gem only item? Not sure how I feel about that as 300 gems is a lot of previous crates required.
    Whilst I like that it's a standard purchase without RNG it means players have to buy a lot of crates to earn those gems.

Are the "Holiday: X" dyes? If they are can these be turned into gems?

I wish they would just do that "gem only" trick with the "Radiant Apex" stuff instead of "RNGesus says bend over and take it". Then, we could actually get those items in a reasonable finite time-frame rather than hate them by the time we get them.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the Dark Shaman costume?!
    This would have been the most logical season to bring it back and yet you didn't!

ece.gif
    Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on September 13, 2018 2:48AM
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_nya wrote: »
    Will they be together w/ psijic or will they end psijic crates?

If not already posted....
    Psijic Crates will be phased out, discontinued, adios, auf wiedersen, ciao....etc.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance for 3 free crates, but I don't think I'll meet 'ol Florence just to try to get mine!
    Have fun guys~

You're wiser than some people who may just be addicted enough to stay for that reason.

But, you can take your PC with you if you're staying somewhere with electricity and internet, even if it is cellphone net.
    Thank whatever deity for unlimited mobile hotspot off cellphones these days!
  • Faunter
    Faunter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epic Rewards
    Ancestral Homage Formal Gown
    Crested Reef Viper
    Ghost Lantern
    Glenmoril Witch Robes
    Goldenback Spider Lackey
    Hrokkibeg's Claw Body Marks
    Hrokkibeg's Claw Face Marks
    Hunting Grounds Body Tattoo
    Hunting Grounds Face Tattoo
    Imperial City Temple Tunic
    Instant All Research Scroll
    Treasure Hunter
    Uricanbeg the Stag Body Tattoo
    Uricanbeg the Stag Face Tattoo
    No Major Gold Coast Experience Scroll under Epic this time around?
    Edited by Faunter on September 13, 2018 5:46AM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acererak arise! Seriously that's cool and I want it.
    3d5325120445a76acd555250cc4bf0d7.jpg

Gem only Netch pet, is this the first gem only item? Not sure how I feel about that as 300 gems is a lot of previous crates required.
    Whilst I like that it's a standard purchase without RNG it means players have to buy a lot of crates to earn those gems.

Are the "Holiday: X" dyes? If they are can these be turned into gems?

I wish they would just do that "gem only" trick with the "Radiant Apex" stuff instead of "RNGesus says bend over and take it". Then, we could actually get those items in a reasonable finite time-frame rather than hate them by the time we get them.
    That goes against the entire point of Radiant Apex mounts though. Everything about the crates is designed in increase revenue from them, not to improve our experience or choices.

Don't get me wrong, I love the items in crates and buy them like many others, but I don't like that every season something a little more shady happens and the line gets moved. Stop manipulating me to spend money, just give me nice things and I will give you money for them.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the evil chicken, it will go with my evil goat :smiley:
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too seasonal for me. Pass.
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Demon Chicken! I want one.

I keep real ones in the back garden, he'd fit right in :smiley:
  • PandaPlasm
    PandaPlasm
    ✭✭

schip wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll see more of these in the future.
    Recremen wrote: »
    Oh boy more gambling distributions.
    weedgenius wrote: »
    Concerned about the new "Crown-Gem Exclusive" item. That's a first, right?
    PandaPlasm wrote: »
    I'm afraid this gem-only pet is going to set a dangerous precedent.
    Indeed. If they do this every season from now on then it's going to be another very manipulative move to make people buy crates.
    Atallanta wrote: »

Except 2/3 of their player base has been excluded day one from the twitch rewards. Seems pretty crappy in the end if you ask me.
    Lygatto wrote: »

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the gem-exclusive direction ZOS is trying to slip into these crates, though. As some others have noted, introductions of systems such as these are often the start of a trend, and this one is going to be a no from me. I'm not normally a fan of gambling, but I appreciate that with crown crates they offer currency you can acrue in the case that you don't get what you want so that you can get what you want. If the only way to receive the item you want is through the currency, however, it becomes starkly more unattractive. Look at the 300 crown gem price of this pet, for instance:

Sometimes you can obtain around 30 gems from a single box, though in my experience, this is uncommon, so let's work through minimums. Collectibles are irredeemable for gems until you receive a duplicate of that item, so let's say someone buys Hollowjack crates without owning any of the contents in advance:

First five crates, 4 gems each (3 cards of misc. consumables, one card unowned collectible).

From there on, let's up the gem acquisition by a generous, if inaccurate, average of 10 gems per crate (minimum assumption of 3 cards of misc. consumables, one card owned collectible)

Going off of a loose minimum, to earn 300 gems, enough for the crown-gem exclusive pet, one would have to purchase 33 crown crates, roughly $70+ USD varying on the crown pack purchased.
    PLUS, they would be unable to use those gems for any other unobtained crown crate items they're interested in.

Supposing someone draws the resplendent sweet roll on their first crate, their grind could be shortened to a single crate. It's also fair to point that I made the assumption through loose minimums, so there's a chance someone could earn enough crown gems in half the number of crates, drawing the price tag down to something more similar to promotional crown store purchases (though 15 crates would be still be around $30+ USD, while most promotional pets would average $15+ USD). It's the luck of the draw for crown gems themselves that makes it so unsettling, though.

Returning to assumed minimums, if one wanted an Apex mount, they may not get it in 30 crates, but there's a fair chance they'll have enough crown gems to get one. If they want an Apex mount and the crown-gem exclusive item, though, they're made to choose between one or the other, lest they purchase even more crown crates and send that already high $70+ USD price tag into the triple-digits.

If it's a new marketing idea in order to accrue more money from the big spenders of the community... Don't they already provide enough profit through the exorbitant prices of player housing? Crown Crates are already a gambling system as they are-- It feels a bit disgusting to add an additional gamble on top of a gamble.

Can we raise hell about this? I feel like we should raise hell about this.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

schip wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll see more of these in the future.
    Recremen wrote: »
    Oh boy more gambling distributions.
    weedgenius wrote: »
    Concerned about the new "Crown-Gem Exclusive" item. That's a first, right?
    I'm afraid this gem-only pet is going to set a dangerous precedent.
    Indeed. If they do this every season from now on then it's going to be another very manipulative move to make people buy crates.
    Atallanta wrote: »

Lygatto wrote: »

Can we raise hell about this? I feel like we should raise hell about this.
    Won't change, the initial outcry isn't enough. See how things are when people notice it live, if we're lucky enough people will be angry and make a fuss that it doesn't get repeated. Just don't hold your breath.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked into the Chicken's eyes, and it whispered "Sooon™"...
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Elrinthil
    Elrinthil
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Elrinthil on November 26, 2018 1:11AM
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does that mean the Psijic crates are going away ? cuz if so i need to grab that colorful guar before it's too late !
    PC/EU - PVE 2H stam orc petsorc (meta, what meta?) ww - terrible dps - mediocre player - fun times - free ww bites to whomever asks so don't be shy if interested
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I see it, ZOS anticipated a mixed response to the Rider mounts so they've offered a seasonal variant of a popular pet as an alternative to the Apex tier.

One per season is fine. And honestly an Apex alternative may have helped Reaper's Harvest, too.
    signing off
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom I evacuated due to hurricane Florence. Any chance the dates for earning free crates gets moved for those affected by the storm?

I didn't evacuate because I'm near Raleigh, which is far enough inland that we aren't expecting any serious problems such as flooding. However, there is a pretty solid chance that I may lose power for at least a day. I'd hate to miss out on free crates and login rewards. I hope we're offered an alternative.

News just reported that there are 88,000 potential ESO players along the NC coast that have no power. Well, they might not have mentioned ESO, but they are still potential players!
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is there no ESO plus free 6 crates event? If this is the replacement for that mechanic then I'm extremely disappointed. First the 100k gold replacement for this month instead of more free crates and not to mention the full 30 days cycle.

I'm telling you people. If you keep biting this, we'll get less & less free stuffs and even more paid gambling in the future. As you can see, we can already feel the effects. They've already put more exclusive stuffs at a higher gem price inside RNG gambling.
    Edited by Perwulf on September 14, 2018 6:21AM
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"