Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you honestly still care about campaign score- does it even matter?

• Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    @ everyone who says no cus they are only interested in outnumbered PVP..

What do you think makes people fight you ? Why do the same people come at you again and again? It's because they DO care about the alliance score.

Without that, they would instead just walk past/go elsewhere, thinking 'Why get farmed? Why bother trying to get that resource back?', 'Why bother trying to take down those guys who are tying up so many of our faction, who could be pushing a keep instead?'

As soon as there is NOBODY caring about the score, then PVP stops. The smallscalers won't fight each other. The largescalers won't fight the smallscalers, In fact the large-scalers would all break up as there would be no objectives to draw them. They would either be alone, getting farmed by the now bigger 'small-scale' groups, or just stop playing. Then all that would be left are the small-scalers who won't fight each other.
    PVP dies. I have seen this in other games.

Y'all *Should* care about the alliance score.

Edited by Biro123 on August 15, 2018 8:56AM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • LjAnimalchin
    LjAnimalchin
    ✭✭✭
    No
    There is still a special kind of loser that logs into this game and spams zone all day every day about who is pushing where etc.. I think they still care, but I don't.
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, it's the reason I PvP but understand the shenanigans that go on during campaigns.

That's why I always want to play in a clean campaign, because when that happens, the campaigns tend to be very competitive until the end.
    Edited by Hurtfan on August 15, 2018 2:56PM
    For the Pact!
    Keyboard not found, press any key to continue
  • killimandrosb16_ESO
    killimandrosb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is still a special kind of loser that logs into this game and spams zone all day every day about who is pushing where etc.. I think they still care, but I don't.

Just curious; why do you consider them losers for playing the campaign the way it intentionally is supposed to be played?
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    @ everyone who says no cus they are only interested in outnumbered PVP..

What do you think makes people fight you ? Why do the same people come at you again and again? It's because they DO care about the alliance score.

Fights don't grant score points. If people would truly play only for the score they would avoid fights for the most part. So no, i don't agree that the scoring system keeps PvP alive. A more interesting and competitive system could keep PvP healthy and alive, but not the current system. It just encourages faction stacking and PvE/PvDoor.
    Edited by Rianai on August 15, 2018 6:40PM
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I have a question for the people who enjoy large group objective based PvP. How can you care about the score when the deciding factor is who has more people playing during the slow hours? It doesn't matter how good you strategies are eventually the server will die down and whoever is left with the biggest Zerg will crown emp and flip the map. That's why I'm of the opinion that it's best to try and have fun and not worry about the score because the score isn't skilled base it's numbers based
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    "Winners never quit, and quitters never win"
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I have a question for the people who enjoy large group objective based PvP. How can you care about the score when the deciding factor is who has more people playing during the slow hours? It doesn't matter how good you strategies are eventually the server will die down and whoever is left with the biggest Zerg will crown emp and flip the map. That's why I'm of the opinion that it's best to try and have fun and not worry about the score because the score isn't skilled base it's numbers based

To be specific, you're right, the score doesn't matter for the reasons you state, but the sentiment of attempting to defeat the other factions and playing the campaign as it was intended is imho, the only thing keeping PvP active and so should be embraced.
    I voted based on that sentiment, because, yeah, the scoring is broken - and I hope it gets fixed, but it won't stop me from playing for the faction as intended.
    Both because I enjoy it, and because it is much more healthy for the longevity of the game than the alternatives.
    Edited by Biro123 on August 16, 2018 12:12AM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    always fun to read the different perspectives folks have regarding their time in cyrodiil...

lots of different reasons people enter a campaign...lots of times I just want to fight...sometimes I get tired of fighting...

I've found that every few days - i have to take a break from riding a mount...I'll just hang out and defend a bunch, do some resources...

maybe put in anywhere from 10 to 20 hours a week in eso, at least 7 to 15 of those hours will be in cyrodiil...

been campaigning since september '15...I think that's 35 total campaigns...

let's have one faction locked cp campaign which lasts an entire year...if we're gonna commit - let's go all the way...

january first through december thirty first...

yeah, and we should have blood oaths too...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • PapaWeeb
    PapaWeeb
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, but only kinda. Sometimes it's fun to play the objective, using strategy to take keeps etc. Mostly I just enjoy the combat, but Cyro would mean a lot less to me without scores (not that I really care who wins, in the end).

Would be nice if ZOS came up with a proper "low pop bonus" fix, and gave more incentives to winning.
    Less "most numbers wins" and more "best players win"
    PC EU
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    There is a difference between caring about the campaign score, caring about ap gains, and caring about objective map play when in cyrodiil. I don't ever care about campaign score. The other two i bounce between and sometime care about both at once, depending on my mood.
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Score? It’s a total joke on Kyne NA PC these days...

I play to have fun, help others get better, bring some solid large & small scale battles to the enemy, and claim more of the map for my faction while I'm on. However, that does not include taking unnecessary keeps that serve no legit purpose such as taking enemy Tri-keeps when there are no scrolls behind them to be taken, etc.

The score itself typically reflects what faction has groups capturing scrolls and keeps while there is little to no competition on so it's out of mind for me. #1 faction according to scoreboard loses regularly when pop is balanced so let them have their little scoreboard victory :D

• usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    As long as my faction is putting up a decent fight and there is ap to be made that's all that I care about.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    PapaWeeb wrote: »
    Yes, but only kinda. Sometimes it's fun to play the objective, using strategy to take keeps etc. Mostly I just enjoy the combat, but Cyro would mean a lot less to me without scores (not that I really care who wins, in the end).

Would be nice if ZOS came up with a proper "low pop bonus" fix, and gave more incentives to winning.
    Less "most numbers wins" and more "best players win"

^ Easy to say when your faction caps an empty map every single morning. For what, 2 years? ;)
    And I'm not sure I'd count a BB or Sar faction stack zerg as a strategy....
    I know you get totally wrecked in prime-time each day but the scoring is still always based on those 8 hours where you 'fight' NPCs.
  • StamWhipCultist
    StamWhipCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Nermy wrote: »
    I've suddenly found myself caring about the score on Vivec EU ;)

lol, same
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    My impression was always that ZOS could take this away and it might be weeks before anyone noticed. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    im playing off peak times so campaign points don't really mean much anymore only the population numbers of your faction as to whether you have a couple of good small scale keep raids or fights :|
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• WeyounTM
    WeyounTM
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    This one voted "No"....because it would be the healthy thing to vote for. The scoring system is truly the reason why. I played for AD on Vivec EU for a couple of months when I started being seriously interested in PvP and enjoyed the fact that AD is always winning the campaign (with the exception of last time around :open_mouth: ).
    Since I have since abandoned that alliance (even though my first 3 mains are AD :'( ) I now see the other side of things while playing the factions that are at a disadvantage. And you can only look at an all yellow map so often without feeling exhausted and in the end it is the reasonable thing to just not care at all and play when you want on a char that you like.
    Magicka-Khajiit-Player since Beta

PC-EU Vivec Sotha Sil Campaign
    Heals-your-Paws Khajiit Magplar - Main Char - AD (sadly)

Little-Miss-Hurricane - Khajiit -Stamsorc - DC
    Saves-your-Paws - Khajiit MagDK - DC
    Lucký-Paws - Khajiit StamDK - DC
    Icy-Paws - Khajiit Magden - DC
    White-Paws - Khajiit Stamblade - DC
    Paws-of-the-Light - Khajiit Stamplar - DC
    Adusa D'aro - Khajiit Stamplar - DC
    Purrs-at-the-Moons - Khajiit Stamcro - DC
    Necrotic-Paws - Khajiit Magcro - DC
    White-Claws - Khajiit StamDK - AD
    Sticky-Paws - Khajiit Stamplar - AD
    Silent-Paws - Khajiit Magblade - AD

Hides-the-Skooma - Khajiit Stamden - EP
    Protector-of-the-Mane - Khajiit Magplar -EP
    Leaps-your-Paws - Khajiit MagDK - EP
  • Larisse
    Larisse
    Yes
    I care about the score, but I don't really care about who wins or where I place. The rewards just aren't what they should be for the time it takes to be in the top ten for your alliance. What you get when your alliance wins is kinda weak too
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    For people who don't care about the score, what are you doing in Cyrodiil then? Go play battlegrounds to get yer AP.

For the Pact!
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

I honestly significantly disagree with this. If PVP guilds in this game were organized at all (they are not) - then people in factions would recognize that when you have good numbers you push for scrolls, and when you have low numbers you defend the scrolls you stole earlier.

It's really that simple.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    I used to care but now I just check mid way through to see who's winning and I jump into that faction to get the level 3 rewards for the winning side.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    MalagenR wrote: »

I honestly significantly disagree with this. If PVP guilds in this game were organized at all (they are not) - then people in factions would recognize that when you have good numbers you push for scrolls, and when you have low numbers you defend the scrolls you stole earlier.

It's really that simple.

Erh.... no. Not that simple.
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

It's really that simple.

Explain why you don't think it's that simple.
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I used to care but now I just check mid way through to see who's winning and I jump into that faction to get the level 3 rewards for the winning side.

Regardless of faction - winning the campaign still matters to you to get the best rewards.

typo
    Edited by Potenza on August 23, 2018 5:52PM
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

It's really that simple.

Too many factors to list. It depends on the lie of the land. There are so many strategic nuances you need to look for and be aware of and you always need a bit of luck.

I mean it can depend on where the scrolls are, how many keeps we have, what the population is, do they have Emp? And they're just the big ones I can think of...

Believe me, if it were that simple, there wouldn't be any fighting over scrolls. ;)

@Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will care about the score as long as there is a score. It is something that binds those of a particular faction together, it drives the taking and reclaiming of the scrolls, keeps, and resources, and it represents a common goal with those of the same faction that play at different times. Is it frustrating? Yes, the faction hoppers taint it, and the scoring system itself favors people who faction stack at non peak times over those who play during peak population hours.

There are plenty of people that do care about it. If not, running up into enemy territory 10 minutes before eval and capping resources would not occur. Taking scrolls unabated during low population periods would not occur. The scrolls have no meaning other than some very minor buffs and the 10 points of value toward the score. Faction swapping the last 24 hours of a campaign to swing the score differential by 1000 points between two alliances would be meaningless.

It is my hope that ZOS will make some changes to the scoring system as well as addressing faction swapping/faction pride issues and make the score relevant to even more people than it already is. I understand how some may feel the score is meaningless or stupid under the current conditions that it now accumulates. There are those that will also never care, Cyrodiil will forever and always be only about themselves and nothing greater. That is fine, those people can still achieve their goals within a scoring system that is relevant to those that do care about the score. For those that care about the score, however, it is hard to get fully engaged when a system is in place like the one currently being used. I'm hoping for change, and still caring in spite of myself.
    Edited by Ranger209 on August 23, 2018 11:04PM
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The object of the game is for your faction to have the highest score at the end, simple as that. I like winning baby.
    For the Pact!
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

It's really that simple.

Because you can be so outnumbered that you can't defend yourself. Take for instance Xbox NA vivec a couple days ago EP was at one bar population AD had no bars and DC had 3 bars. This is in off hours. If you are AD or EP what other choice do you have but to try and farm DC to get AP. You can't take any ground DC is too strong with numbers at this point. They will take the whole map and all the scrolls and keeps moving up in score until it's primetime and AD and EP are poplocked and take everything back. But they will eventually log off and this cycle will repeat. This is why I personally think campaign score doesn't matter every campaign on Xbox has been like this for at least the last two years.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The better question is if there were a scoring system in place that was combat driven rather than time of possession driven, a scoring system that accumulated the score for an alliance as they fought and captured or defended points of interest, a system that rewarded balanced and outnumbered victories while deterring PvDooring and zerging, if a scoring system like that was in place would you care about the score?

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/423834/moving-on-from-the-time-based-score-evaluation-to-combat-based-scoring

It's a long read and kind of mathy, but it offers a different approach to how the scoring could work.