The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagSorc - Stamina Sustain

Maichail
Maichail
I've been playing Battlegrounds for the last couple of months (I'm not that good, Zerg at its finest, really suck at 1-1).

I specifically leveled a Nightblade and have just leveled a MagSorc (as I was tired of getting belted with Mages Wrath).

I also have a StamSorc, a MagPlar and a Dragon Knight Tank.

Too be honest, it doesn't matter which character I use, I struggle with sustain in some way of another, or I lose too much damage and then suffer from not being able to finish anyone. The StamSorc is probably the best trade off with sustain and damage.

However, it's my MagSorce I want to talk about.

I was originally wearing Twice-Born-Star and Impenetrable with Magika and Spell Damage Mundus. But my Stamina is only just over 10k. I can't run anywhere, and if I roll dodge once and then get cc'd, I'm under 5,000 stamina and can't break free = dead. (most of the gear for this character is purple right now, so I'm losing a bit from that).

I changed to Shaklebreaker and Impen and it only went up to 10,900. (Which also confuses me a bit, I have 13,900 outside of Battlegrounds, and no points in anything related to Stamina, so I'm not 100% sure why I lose 3000 in battlegrounds - would be nice if someone could clear that confusion up for me).

Problem with Shaklebreaker is it lowered my damage too much, and the time to kill got uncomfortably longer, so I've got back to twice born star and just walk everywhere (which means I'm last to the party and the Zerg gets stronger).

Is this just the trade of for being a magika character?

I've seen a build with Shaklebreaker and Shroud of the Lich which is meant to be optimized for Battegrounds with the appropriate buffs, which I'm going to try out when the final parts of Lich drop (but the Stamina still looks low).

Any tips advice on getting the right balance would be appreciated.

All I'm doing at the moment, it sacrificing one thing for another (which I guess is how it's meant to work). I'm just not finding the balance in the force at the moment :-)
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No CP = less stats (20% I think).

Shackle/Lich/Tri-stat does me good

EDIT: Run lich back bar resto, front bar use either masters if using flame reach, or willpower (or any other staff tbh)
    Edited by Sparr0w on August 21, 2018 11:02AM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    try to kill stuff

get purple food that gives you 3 stats... you can always have stamina recovery glyph if you really struggle

everyone in BG has low stats, thus making free damage sets very strong in BG
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • Maichail
    Maichail
    Do you mean tri-stat food, or armor enchantments on the large pieces, with infused? (or both).

I'm already using Witchmother's Potent Brew.

What is your Stamina at in BG's.
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maichail wrote: »
    I've been playing Battlegrounds for the last couple of months (I'm not that good, Zerg at its finest, really suck at 1-1).

I specifically leveled a Nightblade and have just leveled a MagSorc (as I was tired of getting belted with Mages Wrath).

I also have a StamSorc, a MagPlar and a Dragon Knight Tank.

Too be honest, it doesn't matter which character I use, I struggle with sustain in some way of another, or I lose too much damage and then suffer from not being able to finish anyone. The StamSorc is probably the best trade off with sustain and damage.

However, it's my MagSorce I want to talk about.

I was originally wearing Twice-Born-Star and Impenetrable with Magika and Spell Damage Mundus. But my Stamina is only just over 10k. I can't run anywhere, and if I roll dodge once and then get cc'd, I'm under 5,000 stamina and can't break free = dead. (most of the gear for this character is purple right now, so I'm losing a bit from that).

I changed to Shaklebreaker and Impen and it only went up to 10,900. (Which also confuses me a bit, I have 13,900 outside of Battlegrounds, and no points in anything related to Stamina, so I'm not 100% sure why I lose 3000 in battlegrounds - would be nice if someone could clear that confusion up for me).

Problem with Shaklebreaker is it lowered my damage too much, and the time to kill got uncomfortably longer, so I've got back to twice born star and just walk everywhere (which means I'm last to the party and the Zerg gets stronger).

Is this just the trade of for being a magika character?

I've seen a build with Shaklebreaker and Shroud of the Lich which is meant to be optimized for Battegrounds with the appropriate buffs, which I'm going to try out when the final parts of Lich drop (but the Stamina still looks low).

Any tips advice on getting the right balance would be appreciated.

All I'm doing at the moment, it sacrificing one thing for another (which I guess is how it's meant to work). I'm just not finding the balance in the force at the moment :-)

You have to run tristat food or you won't have enough stam. Which equates on my altmer to losing 3k mag which is roughly 300 spell damage. That's nothing to sniff at. All the while stam can stack 5k weapon damage and 40k stam without the same penalties.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recommend dodge rolling as a Sorc at 10k stam. You are better off tanking the damage by shielding and reserve stam for breaking free. At 15k, you can start to afford dodge roll once. And probably invest in roll dodge and break CP on top of Well-Fitted.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First off, the most successful MagSorc builds (player skill aside) in BGs are those that generally go very high sustain. The damage is already high enough, heals are low and MagSorc burst is innately strong. Since you miss the CP multipliers, trying to stack damage has little actual effect.

Now specifically for Stamina sustain, In my opinion you need at least 14k-15k Max Stam and at least 1k to 1.1k Stam Regen to get by. More if you want to be a little on the tanky/surviveable side. Remember if you're using Dark Conversion high Stam Regen can also mean good magicka sustain.

You can achieve the Max Stam requirement by using tri-food or ShackleBreaker plus a couple of tri-stat glyphs. Shackle is staple for Sorcs in BGs.

Stam Regen can be achieved by either:
    - Shackle + Amber
    - One of Shackle/Amber + 1 Stam Regen Glyph
    - Two Stam Regen glyphs

Shackle, Lich and Amber are very widely used. On top of that, Engine Guardian has become the Monster Set of choice for many MagSorcs.

Good luck.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NoCP is your missing stamina
    Purple food (tri stat max health/magika/stamina) is your friend
    Dark Deal if you are despirate but dark conversion is more useful generally!
    Poison to return stamina an option.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gotta get your stam pool up a bit. In Cryo I run at close to 16k, and in BGs its like 13.5k. There are lots of ways to do this. In BGs especially, you have to build for sustain first. This is all with witchmothers drink.

The most obvious is Shackle, 1 Piece Domihaus, and Tri stat glyphs on your infused big armor pieces. You can even go with 1-2 tri stats on jewerly (i found 3 to be over kill).

There are really Three basic ways to build with shacklebreaker. I highly recommend shackle as your main set until you are more comfortable. It's hard to call things meta in PVP, but shacklebreaker and sorc is about as meta as you get.

First: If you want a ton of sustain, pair it with Amberplasm (seducer or lich could also work here), and set it up so you have 5/5/2 at all times. Your monster set can be engine guardian (max sustain), one Domi + one Grothdar (max stats), Slimecraw (max damage), Balorgh (max burst). Certainly others are viable. I most often go for the stats. This will give a ton of stamina and a ton of sustain. This is pretty easy to do because you can make shackle weapons. Just need a bit of normal ROM farming for Amber, or the ability to make some jewelry.

Second: Use an offensive set on your front bar, and either a willpower or VMA resto on your back bar. Sets like spinner, Sloads (gives extra stam), Moon Hunter, Caluurions, etc. Lots of good options here. Only trick is that it takes getting the staff in the set you want. This is a good option if you have good group support and want a little more damage.

Third: Run a defensive/sustain set on your back bar and front bar either a willpower or Asylum Destro. Same issue, but this time you do need a resto in your set of choice. Obvious sets are Lich and Riposte (just nerfed). This is perhaps better against better groups where you either need a little extra sustain for longer fights, or you need a little extra defense for those hard hitting stamboys running around.

You will find that different situations call for different things. If I am alone in BGS, I go max sustain. If I am with a good group that is being aggressive, i go the second option. If I am really in an even match against another good pre-made, I find myself going with option 3 sometimes as well.

Edit: One thing I forget to mention was potions. Seems obvious, but they go a long way with stam. I carry all the good ones, but honestly, the one I drink the most on my sorc is the stam+ major expedition+ imov pot. I have good control over my magic already, so the stam recovery and mobility are great. In BGs, I also use a lot of tri-pots. In cyro, detect pots and magic+crit+imov are also nice for when I want to track down a NB (former) or go all out damage (later). If you arent drinking potions on cooldown in combat, you are at a disadvantage, because I assure you, the other guy is.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 21, 2018 5:27PM
  • Maichail
    Maichail
    Thanks, there are some options here. I'll have a play around with some of the options and see how it works out.