The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Shields on MagDK (or even Stamina Characters)

madeeh91rwb17_ESO
madeeh91rwb17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
Everyone talks about magSorcs shield staking. What stops classes like magDK(think melee light armor) from doing the same?

Also how feasible are shields on stamina builds. Especially with the recent bone shield buff?
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam have heals and roll dodge, mag have shields.

Magsorcs shield stack since their class shield is effectively 2x light armour shield.

Other classes have the light armour shield & haling ward which is useless at high health so isn't nearly as effective.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bone shield is health based so its pretty weak, the buff was the synergy only IIRC.

Shield stacking on Magblade/DK/den/plar is possible, but its less stacking and more just harness at high health, healing at low.
    Magplar, warden and DK don't do as well as sorcs/NBs can and do use shields since relying on tanking alone isn't as viable this meta because the passives and skills are more tailored towards a tanky playstyle, so you lose a lot out in that area.

As of now DK meta does use shields. Warden can be either as they are really tanky, and templar often builds for % mitigation instead as it allows longer offensive phase for jabbing.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And sorcs run more health, impen and well fitted too survive. Shields are no longer effective, specially in BGs.
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shields are not a thing for stamina. MagDks use them in light armor.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Sparr0w , heals, very class-dependant for stamina. As DK... can't say dragon blood is a good burst heal; I ended up only ever using Vigor.

As for shields, I situationally use Iceheart helm, it gives a nice shield, and mostly when you need it.
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »

Magsorcs shield stack since their class shield is effectively 2x light armour shield.

Other classes have the light armour shield & haling ward which is useless at high health so isn't nearly as effective.

In pvp conjured is roughly 2k larger than light armor shield, both usually take about 1-2 hits from a competent dps to knock down. Cost is to high to maintain for more than 30 seconds. That's with pots, lich and engine guardian. Not trying to pick a fight but there is a lot of misinformation going around about shields. As a sorc you can't stop moving and your only source of mobility has an exponential cost.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone talks about magSorcs shield staking. What stops classes like magDK(think melee light armor) from doing the same?

Also how feasible are shields on stamina builds. Especially with the recent bone shield buff?

Bone shield scales of health.
    DK shields scale of health.
    Templar shield scale of health.
    If sorc shield would be the same, sorc would become crap.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sparr0w , heals, very class-dependant for stamina. As DK... can't say dragon blood is a good burst heal; I ended up only ever using Vigor.

As for shields, I situationally use Iceheart helm, it gives a nice shield, and mostly when you need it.

Most stam run a 2H back bar for rally burst, or the other morph for immunity to snares, pair that with vigor (and a class heal if you have one).
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

In pvp conjured is roughly 2k larger than light armor shield, both usually take about 1-2 hits from a competent dps to knock down. Cost is to high to maintain for more than 30 seconds. That's with pots, lich and engine guardian. Not trying to pick a fight but there is a lot of misinformation going around about shields. As a sorc you can't stop moving and your only source of mobility has an exponential cost.

Still bigger, pair with harness you've got double the shield of any other class. Agree maintaining is hard, but use it preemptively so you get 2-3 seconds extra on the offence, same as Vigor is used for stam.

I tend to run 1 shield & healing ward back bar with lich. Mix roll dodge with streak & a stun to get out of danger.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most stam run a 2H back bar for rally burst, or the other morph for immunity to snares, pair that with vigor (and a class heal if you have one).
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

Still bigger, pair with harness you've got double the shield of any other class. Agree maintaining is hard, but use it preemptively so you get 2-3 seconds extra on the offence, same as Vigor is used for stam.

I tend to run 1 shield & healing ward back bar with lich. Mix roll dodge with streak & a stun to get out of danger.

I applaud you if that works for you but way to many stuns, roots and snares imo. You also run in to issues trying to bar swap because of latency. I see 2 shields more viable for a magblade as they also have the added defense of cloak.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Basically Sorcs stack hardened for protection and harness magicka for protection and magicka recovery. Other classes have to run Dampen magicka and main shield, so the magicka recovery sucks for them.

In the case of stam, bone shield is health based, so you need to build a lot of health to run it. The problem: since it is a stamina based shield, you cannot go on spamming it.

In any case, if you want to build towards shields, you can try something with Para Bellum/Withestrake's/ Brands of Imperium/Hatchling Shell and Ice Hearth. Also thing's like brawler, CP stars Reinforced and Determination or the Psijic passive Barrier can help you with that (consider that Psijic barrier and CP's reinforced are activated through blocking)
    Edited by Xvorg on August 21, 2018 2:56PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique