Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would it be bad if they sold skill points in the crown store?

Glass
Glass
✭✭✭
Like the title says, would there be an argument to not sell skill points in the crown store? I would definitely buy them in bulk if that's how they sell it. I have 15 toons, it's extremely boring to do the same quests/skyshard hunt over and over, and not even talking about psijic skill line and mage's guild, but I guess that's not the point of the post.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it would be a bad thing, in my opinion.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    very bad thing. would be pay to win.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure it'd be the worst thing, but I don't like to think about what it could potentially open the door for.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • GuyNamedSean
    GuyNamedSean
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. Very bad thing.
    Former Guildmaster of the Legion of Mournhold
    XBL: GuyNamedSean
    PC: GuyNamedSeanPC
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It I something we do not have to worry about happening. At least not for years.
  • Glass
    Glass
    ✭✭✭

how would it be pay to win? the way I see it is a comodity, like having scrolls to speed up your xp or to improve your mount. It doesn't give you an advantage to anyone else in the game, it just saves you time.
    Edited by Glass on August 19, 2018 8:34PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While not pay to win, it would still be bad for the game. It tends to compress the game. Like being born and immediately moving to a retirement community.

• Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the very definition of P2W, guys ?You woud get skill points that other people don't ? How would hat NOT be ???
    PC/EU - PVE 2H stam orc petsorc (meta, what meta?) ww - terrible dps - mediocre player - fun times - free ww bites to whomever asks so don't be shy if interested
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Glass wrote: »

how would it be pay to win? the way I see it is a comodity, like having scrolls to speed up your xp or to improve your mount. It doesn't give you an advantage to anyone else in the game, it just saves you time.

Not even remotely close to the same country that the ballpark is in. You would still have access to all the other skill points. Thus you could have more than could be obtained in game, instead of just being a time saver.

This would give incentive for them not to include new skill points as quest rewards, while introducing new skills, ingame too.

This would be insanely OP in under 50 campaign, or for low level twinks just running BGs. As every normal source of skill points will raise level, this would not.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • xCryBxbyx
    xCryBxbyx
    it wouldn't be the worst idea but there would have to be a limit and i think it would have to be only available for people at cp levels because its so easy to get skill points from levels 1-50. (EDIT - i still don't think its something that should be implemented but this is just the only way i think it would be OK to add it)
    Edited by xCryBxbyx on August 20, 2018 12:20AM
    Who-You-Fightin High Elf - Magden
    Steals-Many-Skooma Argonian - Magplar
    Eldeya High Elf - Magsorc
    Azishima Khajiit - Stamblade
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, bad idea.
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    Mash the buttons, hope for the best!
    I have some achievements
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Itacira wrote: »
    That's the very definition of P2W, guys ?You woud get skill points that other people don't ? How would hat NOT be ???

It would not be P2W if you could not buy more than are available in the game. (Edit: still a bad idea... )
    Edited by Elsonso on August 20, 2018 12:01AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlike the other pay-for-convenience items in the Crown Store, which allow you to bypass mount training delays, research delays, and to speed up leveling by a small but appreciable amount, a Skill Point Buy would allow players to skip content.

Really?

Yeah. See, you need a certain amount of skill points to make a decent build. 50 come from leveling, and after that you get them from skyshards, public dungeons, major quests, group dungeons, and PVP ranks.

The more skill points you need, the more types of content you have to do. For that matter, new DLC and Chapters grant new skyshard and new dungeon skill points, so that's a benefit to having access to that content. And if you dont think that ZOS cares more about how much you play the game than how happy you are while you play the game, I point you to review the way ZOS keeps adding to the grind of this game.

So the real question isn't "should ZOS let us buy skill points?" Its "Why on earth would ZOS want to undercut the need for skill points that drives people to do different types of content and one of the benefits of having access to new content as well as keeping you playing the game longer by selling skill points in the Crown Store?"
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes people seem to have this issue with pay to win.. Not sure how skill points would be pay to win..

More like pay to not grind or pay to save time..
    Edited by DanteYoda on August 20, 2018 12:53PM
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it would be nothing, coz currently available SPs in the game (~400) allows to learn most (if not all) skills and passives, even not needed: another armors or weapons etc
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it would be bad. Very bad. No Pay to Win in ESO, please.
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it would be a bad thing.
  • Glass
    Glass
    ✭✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Yes, it would be bad. Very bad. No Pay to Win in ESO, please.

I guess people still doesn't understand what P2W is. While I could agree with some arguments p2w is far from what this post is trying to debate.
    To put it in perspective, if they would sell you a sword that does 40k dps on light attacks that would pay to win.

Besides, and apart from that point of view, everything in the crown store right now is available to buy with in game gold as crown gifts from other players. That was my whole intention in the OP after all.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it would be bad.

It's not p2w, because you can only slot 10 skills and 2 ults no matter how many points you have, and the skills and morphs are the available to everyone. Buying them wouldn't give any advantage over players who didn't buy them.

But it would incentivize not playing the game, and that's a bad thing for the health and longevity of the game and community.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, very bad.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would make the game pay to win.....selling skill points is one of the very meanings of pay to win.

Would make the game hardcore pay to win
  • DirkRavenclaw
    DirkRavenclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would consider stopping with playing this Game if it goes that Way, too much already is in the Crownstore. This is a MMO, and a MMO at this that isnt for tht casuell Player. With Addons, you still need your 10 to 15 mins for your dailly writs, then Inventory Management, even with ESO Plus, and then you can start playing. You learn more by reading Books, finding stuff, skillpoints are the main way to get better
    Council Member of AtWritsEnd, Member of LoneWolfeHelp, Donor of GhostSeaTradingCO., Factor of EastEmpireTradingCO.,HonourGuard of ´DominionImperialGuard(DIG/PVP)

Master Crafter including Jewelry, i craft for Mats and Donation, always happy to help, if Im not in the Middle of PVP, i play since around 14 Months
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Like the title says, would there be an argument to not sell skill points in the crown store? I would definitely buy them in bulk if that's how they sell it. I have 15 toons, it's extremely boring to do the same quests/skyshard hunt over and over, and not even talking about psijic skill line and mage's guild, but I guess that's not the point of the post.

IDK why people make SO MANY CHARACTERS when they don't want to play them.
  • albesca
    albesca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »

This.

As a side not, it seems that every one-two weeks a discussion comes up asking to make something inappropriate available through the crown store: I remember one asking for level up, now it's skill point, what's next? Achievements?

Also they quickly devolve into discussion about what is and isn't P2W.

I may be wrong, but I don't see any purpose in these discussions other than trolling.
    PC EU

Khajiit has no time for you
  • Glass
    Glass
    ✭✭✭

Who said that I don't wanna play them? I play with all of them except 1, is just the skyshard hunting is a hassle, is not part of the fun playing like doing dungeons, PvP or trials. I have 5 stam and 5 mag toons of each class and 4 dedicated PvP toons, the other one ended up being a mule.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Who said that I don't wanna play them? I play with all of them except 1, is just the skyshard hunting is a hassle, is not part of the fun playing like doing dungeons, PvP or trials. I have 5 stam and 5 mag toons of each class and 4 dedicated PvP toons, the other one ended up being a mule.

Congratulations. You have now discovered that ZOS' secret to keeping this game going is to encourage you to roll alts and then make leveling those alts properly a grind, so that you add hours upon hours to your gameplay and thus increase the lifespan of ESO.

ZOS cares about how much you play, not how happy you are while you play it.

In my experience, ZOS is vanishingly unlikely to trade short-term profit (crown store skillpoint sales) for the long term profits of people playing the game for long periods of time. that's pretty much what their current set-up for the game is: keep players grinding for as long as we can so they keep playing the game for as long as they can stand the meta-chasing grind.
  • Glass
    Glass
    ✭✭✭

Congratulations. You have now discovered that ZOS' secret to keeping this game going is to encourage you to roll alts and then make leveling those alts properly a grind, so that you add hours upon hours to your gameplay and thus increase the lifespan of ESO.

In my experience, ZOS is vanishingly unlikely to trade short-term profit (crown store skillpoint sales) for the long term profits of people playing the game for long periods of time. that's pretty much what their current set-up for the game is: keep players grinding for as long as we can so they keep playing the game for as long as they can stand the meta-chasing grind.

Wrong, it could be for someone else but not for me. Once I hit 50 I get undaunted with the dungeons that I like to do and my last 3 toons that i remember got the xp out of pvping in kyne or bgs and before doing lowbie dungeons with my gf.
    The only thing that I need to grind is enough skill points for the passives, and surely that grind is not what keeps me playing, that's why the post after all.

Edited by Glass on August 20, 2018 12:46PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong, it could be for someone else but not for me. Once I hit 50 I get undaunted with the dungeons that I like to do and my last 3 toons that i remember got the xp out of pvping in kyne or bgs and before doing lowbie dungeons with my gf.
    The only thing that I need to grind is enough skill points for the passives, and surely that grind is not what keeps me playing, that's why the post after all.

Nah, I doubt too many people play for the sake of grinding. But you have to grind in order play the parts of the game you like. That's why ZOS does it, because players want to play the parts they like, so they are willing to grind, which extends their playtime more than if they got to jump straight to the parts they like.
  • Wise_Will
    Wise_Will
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, i wouldn't be opposed to being able to buy a maximum of 5 Skill points, for something like 1mill AP Each or something like that, but defiantly not on the crown store, and defiantly not unlimited amounts.
    XBOX EU/PC EU