The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Argonian Magblade Help

wbjrules
wbjrules
Soul Shriven
I'm trying to play an Argonian magblade. I'm a low level-about 30. At first I invested a lot into Stamina trying to run a 2 handed. But I switched that to dual wield and more magicka. But now, I can tell I messed something up as my dps is notably lower than so many other people my level or less. I'm also running heavy armor. I'd like to keep that as I have a nice 5/6 set. I have small fragments of several ideal light magical sets. I'm kind of at a crossroads where I could continue my messed up character or try to make it a traditional magblade by rededicating my points. Should I try an attribute/skill points reset? Or just make a new character? Or keep my character and just hope for the best? I'm really screwed right now.
  • TheStealthDude
    TheStealthDude
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely don't make a new character. You can reset attributes and skill points at a very reasonable price in this game.
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wbjrules wrote: »
    I'm trying to play an Argonian magblade. I'm a low level-about 30. At first I invested a lot into Stamina trying to run a 2 handed. But I switched that to dual wield and more magicka. But now, I can tell I messed something up as my dps is notably lower than so many other people my level or less. I'm also running heavy armor. I'd like to keep that as I have a nice 5/6 set. I have small fragments of several ideal light magical sets. I'm kind of at a crossroads where I could continue my messed up character or try to make it a traditional magblade by rededicating my points. Should I try an attribute/skill points reset? Or just make a new character? Or keep my character and just hope for the best? I'm really screwed right now.
    If you going for a magicka nightblade, you'll want to start focusing on max magicka over stamina. For weapons, you'll want staves, inferno/lightning/ice/restoration. I'd reset your skill points and attributes at your alliance capital city and stick with the character you've got!

• TheStealthDude
    TheStealthDude
    ✭✭✭✭
    Damage in this game scales off of specific stats based on the resource your abilities cost (in general, but there are exceptions that are usually explicit in the tooltip). Your damage from abilities that cost stamina and melee weapons + bows are going to scale off of your total maximum stamina AND you total weapon damage stats. Your damage from abilities that cost magicka and staves are going to scale off your total maximum magicka and your total spell damage stats.

When you refer to your character as a "magblade", this indicates that the character is a Nightblade that uses damage from magicka abilities and staves. There ARE magicka-based builds (for PvP, mainly) that use 2h swords or dual wield swords, but the reason for using those weapons are usually not for the damage and damage skills from those weapon types.

If you are just starting out as a magblade, I would highly suggest using staves instead of melee weapons and focus on stacking maximum magicka. If you want to use melee weapons and their abilities, focus on stacking max stamina instead of max magicka. If you want to do both, you will need a bit of a specialized gear set in order to be even somewhat effective.

After that, try to complete another different 5pc set that focuses on your chosen stat (ie. Magicka or Stamina). Effectiveness in this game revolves around using full sets. Using non-set gear will hinder you extremely.