The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

pve dps magblade, help plz

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    Aurielle wrote: »
    There are people who will tell you that you can't do decent DPS on magblade without expensive spell power pots and a dynamic rotation.

I'm here to tell you that these people are wrong.

Yeah, you need a dynamic rotation to hit the big numbers that popular YouTubers are hitting. If you're on PC, a dynamic rotation is somewhat easier to achieve, thanks to add-ons that track ground AOEs and Merciless procs. If you want a dynamic rotation on console, you literally have to count light attacks in your head.

I dunno about you, but I can't do that. My main DPS is a 40k DPS pet sorc, and I'm used to static rotations.

So, I set out with the goal of creating a magblade build for my alt that could hit at least 30k DPS with a static rotation; I achieved a magblade that can hit 35k DPS with a static rotation while using trashpots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te6mFrpF5G8

Gear:
    5x Imperfect Siroria, 5x Mother's Sorrow, 2x Valkyn Skoria, 1x VMA Inferno Staff

All divines with magicka glyphs on armour pieces, infused dual staves with flame damage on front bar and spell damage on back bar, 1x mag recovery glyph on one jewellery piece, 2x spell damage glyphs on the other jewellery pieces.

Mundus:

Lover (just for the skeleton parse -- use Apprentice if you're in an optimized group... or stick with Lover, whatevs)

Food:

Witchmother's for more sustain

Skills:

Front Bar: Twisting Path, Impale, Degeneration, Merciless Resolve, Inner Light, Fiery Rage
    Back Bar: Unstable Wall of Fire, Crippling Grasp, Elemental Drain/Harness Magicka, Siphoning Attacks, Inner Light, Soul Harvest

Why Degeneration? Sure, you end up overcasting it with my rotation, but it's much cheaper than Swallow Soul (helping with sustain), it obviates the need for spell power pots when you're practicing, and it's not bad for self heals. You also get empower from the Mage's Guild passive that increases the damage of your light attack just before you hit your Merciless Bow proc. If you want to waste money on spell pots and risk running out of magicka, throw Swallow Soul in its place. Why the other, shorter morph of blockade? Because the purpose of this build was to design a static rotation that still maximizes Merciless Resolve bow procs. Unstable Wall of Fire's final damage burst procs just as you're ready to cast the skill again, so there's no downtime on the dot.

Rotation:

Prebuffs + Initial Ult: Merciless Resolve > Siphoning > Ele Drain > Destro Ult

Main rotation: LA > Blockade > LA > Crippling Grasp > Weapon Swap > LA > Twisting > LA > Degeneration > LA > Bow Proc

After every third bow proc, recast Merciless Resolve, swap cancel, cast Siphoning Attacks, and start in on the main rotation. The only difference this time is that you throw in LA > Elemental Drain after Crippling Grasp.

When you're in execute range, work in as much Impale spam as you can while still keeping up your dots.

Easy peasy 35k. No, you won't be at the top of any leaderboards, but you can still complete all the content in the game with the added bonus of NOT having to master a difficult dynamic rotation. If I were to gold everything out, I could probably squeeze even more out of it.

You can actually keep track of your light attacks towards bow procs on your buff tracker.

False. On magblade on console, you can only track the duration of Merciless Resolve. You can track light attacks on a stamblade with the Hawk Eye bow passive, but that’s it.

Also, even if we COULD track light attacks on the console buff tracker, there’s a massive difference between glancing down at the bottom of your tv screen to look at numbers popping up on a TINY buff icon that’s constantly moving around, and having giant numbers popping up in the centre of your computer screen with an add on.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are people who will tell you that you can't do decent DPS on magblade without expensive spell power pots and a dynamic rotation.

Yeah, you need a dynamic rotation to hit the big numbers that popular YouTubers are hitting. If you're on PC, a dynamic rotation is somewhat easier to achieve, thanks to add-ons that track ground AOEs and Merciless procs. If you want a dynamic rotation on console, you literally have to count light attacks in your head.

I dunno about you, but I can't do that. My main DPS is a 40k DPS pet sorc, and I'm used to static rotations.

So, I set out with the goal of creating a magblade build for my alt that could hit at least 30k DPS with a static rotation; I achieved a magblade that can hit 35k DPS with a static rotation while using trashpots.

Gear:
    5x Imperfect Siroria, 5x Mother's Sorrow, 2x Valkyn Skoria, 1x VMA Inferno Staff

All divines with magicka glyphs on armour pieces, infused dual staves with flame damage on front bar and spell damage on back bar, 1x mag recovery glyph on one jewellery piece, 2x spell damage glyphs on the other jewellery pieces.

Mundus:

Lover (just for the skeleton parse -- use Apprentice if you're in an optimized group... or stick with Lover, whatevs)

Food:

Skills:

Front Bar: Twisting Path, Impale, Degeneration, Merciless Resolve, Inner Light, Fiery Rage
    Back Bar: Unstable Wall of Fire, Crippling Grasp, Elemental Drain/Harness Magicka, Siphoning Attacks, Inner Light, Soul Harvest

Why Degeneration? Sure, you end up overcasting it with my rotation, but it's much cheaper than Swallow Soul (helping with sustain), it obviates the need for spell power pots when you're practicing, and it's not bad for self heals. You also get empower from the Mage's Guild passive that increases the damage of your light attack just before you hit your Merciless Bow proc. If you want to waste money on spell pots and risk running out of magicka, throw Swallow Soul in its place. Why the other, shorter morph of blockade? Because the purpose of this build was to design a static rotation that still maximizes Merciless Resolve bow procs. Unstable Wall of Fire's final damage burst procs just as you're ready to cast the skill again, so there's no downtime on the dot.

Rotation:

Main rotation: LA > Blockade > LA > Crippling Grasp > Weapon Swap > LA > Twisting > LA > Degeneration > LA > Bow Proc

After every third bow proc, recast Merciless Resolve, swap cancel, cast Siphoning Attacks, and start in on the main rotation. The only difference this time is that you throw in LA > Elemental Drain after Crippling Grasp.

When you're in execute range, work in as much Impale spam as you can while still keeping up your dots.

Easy peasy 35k. No, you won't be at the top of any leaderboards, but you can still complete all the content in the game with the added bonus of NOT having to master a difficult dynamic rotation. If I were to gold everything out, I could probably squeeze even more out of it.

You can actually keep track of your light attacks towards bow procs on your buff tracker.

False. On magblade on console, you can only track the duration of Merciless Resolve. You can track light attacks on a stamblade with the Hawk Eye bow passive, but that’s it.

Also, even if we COULD track light attacks on the console buff tracker, there’s a massive difference between glancing down at the bottom of your tv screen to look at numbers popping up on a TINY buff icon that’s constantly moving around, and having giant numbers popping up in the centre of your computer screen with an add on.

You just don't have it setup properly then. If you have it set so permanent buffs are showing then your merciless stacks will be on your tracker and is one of the easiest buffs to track because it's on the far left of the tracker.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gear:

Mundus:

Food:

Skills:

Rotation:

You just don't have it setup properly then. If you have it set so permanent buffs are showing then your merciless stacks will be on your tracker and is one of the easiest buffs to track because it's on the far left of the tracker.

I have permanent buffs turned off, as there’s so much clutter with it on. Just tried it then, and my last point remains: that buff icon is TINY. I turned it off again, as it’s not worth it. You cannot honestly tell me that fixating on that tiny buff at the bottom of your screen for the duration of a fight is anything even remotely close to having access to this:

https://youtu.be/BtYsxeVmGao

I know there are people on console who can do it. They’re in the minority, though.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Gear:

Mundus:

Food:

Skills:

Rotation:

I have permanent buffs turned off, as there’s so much clutter with it on. Just tried it then, and my last point remains: that buff icon is TINY. I turned it off again, as it’s not worth it. You cannot honestly tell me that fixating on that tiny buff at the bottom of your screen for the duration of a fight is anything even remotely close to having access to this:

I know there are people on console who can do it. They’re in the minority, though.

It's the exact same size as the rest of the icons. :neutral:

And yes, it's not as easy as having the stacks counted in the middle of your screen. Welcome to playing on console.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gear:

Mundus:

Food:

Skills:

Rotation:

It's the exact same size as the rest of the icons. :neutral:

And yes, it's not as easy as having the stacks counted in the middle of your screen. Welcome to playing on console.

On other classes, you generally don’t even need to look at your buffs all that often, because you’re not busy counting the precise number of light attacks you’re able to successfully land in order to fire off a skill proc...

Thanks for the welcome. Been playing on console for years. I’m aware of our limitations, which is why I’m saying that dynamic magblade rotations are extremely difficult to pull off without addons.

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m no mag blade expert but I can do alright. I do two things differently than most. I use 2x spell dmg and 1x mag regent glyphs on jewelry. I also use a static rotation, which I find easier to maintain in actual fights especially on console with no addons. My rotation is as follows.

Siphoning merciless destro ult (la blockade la path la cripple la funnel la bow la funnel la funnel la blockade la cripple la bow la path la blockade la ele drain la cripple la funnel la bow la merciless la siphoning) then repeat what’s in the (). Use the cheap nb ult (forget the name) as soon at its ready and right before a bar swap. You can directly replace funnel with ele weapon if you’d like.
    I hit around 41-43 on dummy with this rotation. That’s wearing burning spellweave and master architect. Think it would go up if I had Siroria.
    Hope it helps.

Serious props to you if you’re able to pull that rotation off consistently when not on a dummy. I’d be curious to know your CP setup... I spent some time practicing it this afternoon in Mother’s Sorrow/Siroria’s/Valkyn, and was only able to top out around 37k with near perfect execution of your rotation. I even tried using Zaans with it, since I had to be in melee range anyway to hit the cheap NB ult, and got similar results.

• Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    I’m no mag blade expert but I can do alright. I do two things differently than most. I use 2x spell dmg and 1x mag regent glyphs on jewelry. I also use a static rotation, which I find easier to maintain in actual fights especially on console with no addons. My rotation is as follows.

Siphoning merciless destro ult (la blockade la path la cripple la funnel la bow la funnel la funnel la blockade la cripple la bow la path la blockade la ele drain la cripple la funnel la bow la merciless la siphoning) then repeat what’s in the (). Use the cheap nb ult (forget the name) as soon at its ready and right before a bar swap. You can directly replace funnel with ele weapon if you’d like.
    I hit around 41-43 on dummy with this rotation. That’s wearing burning spellweave and master architect. Think it would go up if I had Siroria.
    Hope it helps.

Serious props to you if you’re able to pull that rotation off consistently when not on a dummy. I’d be curious to know your CP setup... I spent some time practicing it this afternoon in Mother’s Sorrow/Siroria’s/Valkyn, and was only able to top out around 37k with near perfect execution of your rotation. I even tried using Zaans with it, since I had to be in melee range anyway to hit the cheap NB ult, and got similar results.

Some fights are easier than others. But more often than not can get 3 bow procs off in battle. A good tank is a big plus to keep targets from moving too much. Cp setup isn’t too much out of the ordinary. Off the top of my head most of the cp stars are around 50-60 with I think 23 in spell erosion. I use apprentice mundus.
    Took much longer than one afternoon to get it down to muscle memory :)
    Edited by Saint314Louis1985 on August 10, 2018 7:30PM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope it helps.

Some fights are easier than others. But more often than not can get 3 bow procs off in battle. A good tank is a big plus to keep targets from moving too much. Cp setup isn’t too much out of the ordinary. Off the top of my head most of the cp stars are around 50-60 with I think 23 in spell erosion. I use apprentice mundus.
    Took much longer than one afternoon to get it down to muscle memory :)

That’s pretty impressive. :) I think I’d be fine to gradually perfect that rotation on the dummy, but I’d be useless trying to pull it off in a trial. At least with a circular rotation, it’s not a big deal if you flub a skill or two, and easy to get back on track. Reason umpteen why my magblade will NEVER be my main DPS.
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just for fun. I decided to try something out. I can hit 20k dps using exclusively elemental drain, channeled acceleration and elemental weapon with the light attacks. This is not using ANY other skills on my bar no ultimates or other buffs does this sound about right? I would imagine not many people would parse a dummy using just those 3 skills (Ele drain, channeled acceleration, ele weapon).

I'm convinced its me not able to put all my other skills intricated into my rotations
    Edited by MooseKnuckles88 on August 10, 2018 9:32PM
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just for fun. I decided to try something out. I can hit 20k dps using exclusively elemental drain, channeled acceleration and elemental weapon with the light attacks. This is not using ANY other skills on my bar no ultimates or other buffs does this sound about right? I would imagine not many people would parse a dummy using just those 3 skills (Ele drain, channeled acceleration, ele weapon).

I'm convinced its me not able to put all my other skills intricated into my rotations

Sounds about right. I think I got about 25k just using ele weapon, blockade and firing bow procs as they came with no ele drain, no pots and no execute.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did get a peak of 23k dps a moment ago with those three skills. Now I just have to figure out how to use my other 6 skills with that lol. I can get 2 bow procs with merciless resolve, i do have instances where the icon shows up to cast the bow but it won't fire no matter how many times i try to fire it.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This feels like insanity, I can not seem to hit any harder than 21k to 22k dps if my life depended on it.

Gear:
    Head: Skoria heavy divines purple
    Chest: siroria light divines gold
    Shoulder's: skoria light infused purple
    Waist: siroria light divines purple
    Hands: siroria light divines purple
    Legs: siroria light divines infused
    Feet: siroria light divines purple
    Neck: mother's sorrow purple mag rec enchant
    Ring1/2: both mothers sorrow mag rec enchant

Fb weapon: mothers sorrow infused flame staff gold with shock enchant
    Bb weapon: mothers sorrow infused flame staff gold with flame enchant

I'm gonna keep trying to get my dps higher no matter what. One issue I've been having is the elemental weapon skill charges but doesnt cast. Sometimes I charge my weapon 2 or 3 times and my light attack doesnt cast.

You spend a lot of time listing gear, but they ain’t the issue. Videos of rotations help to analyze parses.

For reference, on my alt account, immediately after reaching 160cp i was hitting 25k on a dummy self buffed. 5Julianos/5spinner/2magnus. Only thing gold were my staffs. No VMA, no monster sets. Funnel and Refreshing, no psijic.

Mageblade rotation is very unforgiving.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 12, 2018 7:45PM
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    This feels like insanity, I can not seem to hit any harder than 21k to 22k dps if my life depended on it.

Gear:

I'm gonna keep trying to get my dps higher no matter what. One issue I've been having is the elemental weapon skill charges but doesnt cast. Sometimes I charge my weapon 2 or 3 times and my light attack doesnt cast.

You spend a lot of time listing gear, but they ain’t the issue. Videos of rotations help to analyze parses.

For reference, on my alt account, immediately after reaching 160cp i was hitting 25k on a dummy self buffed. 5Julianos/5spinner/2magnus. Only thing gold were my staffs. No VMA, no monster sets. Funnel and Refreshing, no psijic.

I know it's not the gear giving me issues, more like fighting the GCD on console trying to find the right speed that works for me to weave at. I can weave easily with elemental weapon, force pulse, or funnel health. It's the transition of adding in more skills into the rotation. Once I start adding in more, the more lag seems to happen (or maybe it's likely just me) and then I start missing light attacks, then my bow procs start to fall off then my buffs and other DoTs start to fall off as I try to correct it. I'm still trying to make it work.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding weaving with Ele Weapon AWWWKWARRRD!

Do you guys just do it same as any other skill? (LA > Ele, LA > Ele etc?)

Thanks in advance!
  • KnightVI
    KnightVI
    Soul Shriven
    Im having the exact same issue as you OP.

Also on console (PS4 EU - add me if you're the same and we'll work on it together "Knight-VI")
    No matter what I do, I can't pass 23k dps. I'm 90% sure its not my gear or CP (although i'm only at 600cp).

It's frustrating. I also have the same issue with bow proc sometimes not firing, or it shows ready, but when I use it, it re-casts instead of shooting etc.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    I'm finding weaving with Ele Weapon AWWWKWARRRD!

Do you guys just do it same as any other skill? (LA > Ele, LA > Ele etc?)

Thanks in advance!

I dont really find I have to change the timing if I close my eyes. The animation is a little wonky and does take a bit to get used to the visuals, which can throw you off your rhythm, but the timing is the same as far as I can tell.

Gear:

I know it's not the gear giving me issues, more like fighting the GCD on console trying to find the right speed that works for me to weave at. I can weave easily with elemental weapon, force pulse, or funnel health. It's the transition of adding in more skills into the rotation. Once I start adding in more, the more lag seems to happen (or maybe it's likely just me) and then I start missing light attacks, then my bow procs start to fall off then my buffs and other DoTs start to fall off as I try to correct it. I'm still trying to make it work.

That's what makes mageblade tough, and no denying it's tougher on console both due to the limited interface (xbox controller) and to the lack of addons to help track buffs. Keep at it. My advice is to try and add them in 1 at a time. With a good weave and control over your bow proc, you should be able to hit 30 just using elemental blockade. Start there, and then add int twisting and cripple as you get more comfortable. In execute, you drop those two skills anyway. Also, it's nice to have a friend to give you ele drain and perhaps wearing worm. Means you dont have to worry about ele drain yourself, which again, is one less thing to manage, and you probably dont need to reapply siphoning nearly as often when learning.

Siphoning is an important skill, but it is your lowest priority. You always want to let it run its full course because you get a big burst of magic when it ticks to zero, and it's not the end of the world if it drops for a few seconds. On a 3 mill, you frankly can cast it pre fight and forget about it. On a 6 mill, I find I need to cast 2 times during the fight to be safe. In a trial, you def want good uptime, but again, typically your lowest priority.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 16, 2018 4:18PM
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's what makes mageblade tough, and no denying it's tougher on console both due to the limited interface (xbox controller) and to the lack of addons to help track buffs. Keep at it. My advice is to try and add them in 1 at a time. With a good weave and control over your bow proc, you should be able to hit 30 just using elemental blockade. Start there, and then add int twisting and cripple as you get more comfortable. In execute, you drop those two skills anyway. Also, it's nice to have a friend to give you ele drain and perhaps wearing worm. Means you dont have to worry about ele drain yourself, which again, is one less thing to manage, and you probably dont need to reapply siphoning nearly as often when learning.

Siphoning is an important skill, but it is your lowest priority. You always want to let it run its full course because you get a big burst of magic when it ticks to zero, and it's not the end of the world if it drops for a few seconds. On a 3 mill, you frankly can cast it pre fight and forget about it. On a 6 mill, I find I need to cast 2 times during the fight to be safe. In a trial, you def want good uptime, but again, typically your lowest priority. [/quote]

Yeah, I'm noticing very well it's not all rainbows and unicorns like skilled youtubers make it seem to be. Even their "easy" rotations are not easy for me at all. I agree the best way for me to progress is to incorporate one skill at a time until I can get used to that.
    KnightVI wrote: »
    Im having the exact same issue as you OP.

Also on console (PS4 EU - add me if you're the same and we'll work on it together "Knight-VI")
    No matter what I do, I can't pass 23k dps. I'm 90% sure its not my gear or CP (although i'm only at 600cp).

It's frustrating. I also have the same issue with bow proc sometimes not firing, or it shows ready, but when I use it, it re-casts instead of shooting etc.

I'm on ps4 NA, I took a few days away from dummy humping to have fun with my magblade in other things mostly pvp. I have a lot more fun qirh ny magblade doing battlegrounds and cryodiil. Lol.