The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spell Penetration Max Damage?

Naughty_Ryder
Naughty_Ryder
✭✭✭
Hello, I was checking out my build today, and I have 15,444 spell penetration. I also have 2150 spell damage, 2100 mag recovery, and 40.5k max Magicka. I am a Magicka Nightblade that focuses on DoT’s with Skoria. I also use MR/ Swallow Soul and Destructive Reach. Is this a build that will melt other players due to the Spell Pen, or should I drop some spell pen and replace it with spell damage or some other stat? Overall my build is very secure, with the sustain and I also run double shields. So it’s purely a damage question.

I hope this makes sense :)
Thanks!
Edited by Naughty_Ryder on August 14, 2018 2:14AM
Fairies are invisible and inaudible like angels. But their magic sparkles in nature.

- I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you’re in Light armor you should be able to get more Spell damage without losing much Spell penetration by making more efficient build decisions.

With 40k max mag you should still be able to achieve 3k+ Spell damage even with Spinners. What other set are you running with Skoria+Spinners?
  • Naughty_Ryder
    Naughty_Ryder
    ✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    If you’re in Light armor you should be able to get more Spell damage without losing much Spell penetration by making more efficient build decisions.

With 40k max mag you should still be able to achieve 3k+ Spell damage even with Spinners. What other set are you running with Skoria+Spinners?

5 light, 2 heavy skoria - working on a medium skoria. Although depending on gear situations I might get skoria in both light and swap my chest/
    Leg slot for Heavy/ Medium for maximum armour.

But I wear Skoria 2/2, Spinner’s 5/5, Shacklebreaker 5/5
    Edited by Naughty_Ryder on August 14, 2018 2:27AM
    Fairies are invisible and inaudible like angels. But their magic sparkles in nature.

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok. I assume you’re using Tri-Food and getting your sustain from jewelry glyphs?

Lover mundus? Can definitely sub that for apprentice or Mage if so. Lover is the most damage on paper but against damage shields it’s not as good and it doesn’t improve your healing or shield size.

I’ve that exact same gear setup (in heavy and light) but I tri-glyph everything and use Clockwork Citrus/Witchmother, Siphoning Attack’s, and Elemental Drain to give me adequate Magika sustain. That should allow you to run ~1700 mag regen and recoup Spell damage there. Can also back bar VMA resto and find space for rapid regen which will give even more sustain and let you run even more Spell damage.

What are your weapon traits and glyphs? Mageblade is a prime candidate to run back bar Infused berserker since you constantly weave on that bar anyway and then you can run Nirn+Shock front bar. If you don’t have those then that will get you up to 3k Spell damage.

This build as you’ve currently constructed it will struggle against damage shields and probably be really reliant upon Skoria procs, but if you can get yourself into the 3k Spell damage range it will be really dangerous.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 14, 2018 3:16AM
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With major sorcery what is your spell damage?
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tranquil_Fairy How did you get so much spell pen? What mundus stone are you using, and how did you split your cp?

It is interesting how you focused on spell penetration. I also have Skoria heavy impen helm, and two shoulder variants, light skoria and medium.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Naughty_Ryder
    Naughty_Ryder
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. I assume you’re using Tri-Food and getting your sustain from jewelry glyphs?

Lover mundus? Can definitely sub that for apprentice or Mage if so. Lover is the most damage on paper but against damage shields it’s not as good and it doesn’t improve your healing or shield size.

I’ve that exact same gear setup (in heavy and light) but I tri-glyph everything and use Clockwork Citrus/Witchmother, Siphoning Attack’s, and Elemental Drain to give me adequate Magika sustain. That should allow you to run ~1700 mag regen and recoup Spell damage there. Can also back bar VMA resto and find space for rapid regen which will give even more sustain and let you run even more Spell damage.

What are your weapon traits and glyphs? Mageblade is a prime candidate to run back bar Infused berserker since you constantly weave on that bar anyway and then you can run Nirn+Shock front bar. If you don’t have those then that will get you up to 3k Spell damage.

This build as you’ve currently constructed it will struggle against damage shields and probably be really reliant upon Skoria procs, but if you can get yourself into the 3k Spell damage range it will be really dangerous.

I use Witchmother’s Potent Brew, my Jewelry Glyphs are 1 mag regen, 2 spell dmg. Astronach mundus, I am at 2100 mag regen.
    Weapon traits are Inferno - Nirnhoned, Oblivion dmg (6K to undead and daedra) melts people in pvp due to many vamps and WW..
    So far shields haven’t been an issue, they tend to diss appear pretty quickly with the DoT ticks and my Swallow Soul/ Merciless Resolve smashing away at them between the dot ticks. I also have Flame Reach to spice things up..
    Sustain really is not an issue for me at the moment. Even during 1vX, so far I have managed to 1v7 in Cyro and 1v5 in non-cp BG.
    kind_hero wrote: »
    @Tranquil_Fairy How did you get so much spell pen? What mundus stone are you using, and how did you split your cp?

It is interesting how you focused on spell penetration. I also have Skoria heavy impen helm, and two shoulder variants, light skoria and medium.

Mundus: Astronach (mag regen)
    For my spell Pen: Spinner’s 5280, Light Armor passive 4484, CP choices 1900, Piercing Mark 5280.

It’s only going to get higher with CP building up as I’m only CP 326 at the moment. I already max CP players but wondering if I could do more.. I have plenty of CP in my DoT dmg too.

• Naughty_Ryder
    Naughty_Ryder
    ✭✭✭
    Any more ideas?

• thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What trait is your weapon. I'm a little confused on how to you only have 2100 sd with 2 spell damage glyphs. You could drop atro mundus for apprentice but that depends on how much regen you think you can manage with. To answer your question though, yes that build you have will melt other players. Overall I think your build is fine but you will be kind of weak to damage shields but I think skoria will help out some there. If you aren't using it you could probably drop some regen and add elemental drain to your build this will allow you to add more damage. I would say play around with it and see if you are feeling like you are over sustaining and adjust your damage accordingly.

Some other things to think about. The meta right now is damage shields. sorcs have big shields and are everywhere as well as pretty much every magblade is running necro with almost 60k Magicka so their shields are pretty hefty as well. If you feel like you are having a hard time bursting through damage shields it may be best to switch spinners for a different set. I've used spinners for almost two years straight now but I switched from spinners this patch to help combat the mag sorc meta.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Witchmother’s Potent Brew, my Jewelry Glyphs are 1 mag regen, 2 spell dmg. Astronach mundus, I am at 2100 mag regen.
    Weapon traits are Inferno - Nirnhoned, Oblivion dmg (6K to undead and daedra) melts people in pvp due to many vamps and WW..
    So far shields haven’t been an issue, they tend to diss appear pretty quickly with the DoT ticks and my Swallow Soul/ Merciless Resolve smashing away at them between the dot ticks. I also have Flame Reach to spice things up..
    Sustain really is not an issue for me at the moment. Even during 1vX, so far I have managed to 1v7 in Cyro and 1v5 in non-cp BG.

For my spell Pen: Spinner’s 5280, Light Armor passive 4484, CP choices 1900, Piercing Mark 5280.

It’s only going to get higher with CP building up as I’m only CP 326 at the moment. I already max CP players but wondering if I could do more.. I have plenty of CP in my DoT dmg too.

The Undead/Daedra enchant actually works in PVP?
  • Stigant
    Stigant
    ✭✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »

Yes, the prismatic damage weapon glyph works on vampires in PvP
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »

On vamps, yes... not sure about werewolves (they're not undead or daedra). Against anyone else though you're essentially fighting with out an enchant.

I'm no expert on magblade by any stretch of the imagination but picking Piercing Mark over ele drain seems like a poor choice. Ele drain is great for sustain (potentially equal to 600 regen and free cast), allowing you to put more damage in your build.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Naughty_Ryder
    Naughty_Ryder
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I’ll definitely check out the ele drain. Piercing Mark has its advantages due to visible stealth targets

• jaime1982
    jaime1982
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm at 18k Penn, 3500+ sd, 2100 Regen buffed with spinner set up.
  • Naughty_Ryder
    Naughty_Ryder
    ✭✭✭
    jaime1982 wrote: »
    I'm at 18k Penn, 3500+ sd, 2100 Regen buffed with spinner set up.

So what have you done differently for the extra Spell Damage?