Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS is giving out a unique pet exclusively to streamer favourites and QuakeCon attendees

• Jamdarius
    Jamdarius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Itacira wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno I have no issue with the community managers, I feel you guys in general get hate than is completely undeserved, but this time I feel like you may not have thought your reply through. I understand the frustration with having to deal with a forum that is more filled with anger than positivity, but I feel your exasperation is blinding you to the real issue :

in spite of its geographically widespread public and customers, the game events remain terribly north-america-centric

Answering "Gamescom is in Germany" is incredible bad faith. Is that the only European event you can cite ? Do they give away unique pet codes there ? How many are there in the USA ? How can we find balance ?

Non USA users have been pointing out this issue for a long while now. We've already reacted to a previous twitch event with its white wolf mount gift, which was streamed in Europe around 3 AM. I don't remember there have even been words of consolation. It's not that we're entitled to it (this being a word that is used so randomly it''s losing its meaning) it's that there a deep feeling of unfairness

Also, yes, the completionist aspect, which I actually do feel for myself. Much empathy to those who feel they'll never get it all. This is a game, after all, a place to find solace. If there IS a place we should be able to have it all, that definitely should be it

The best thing is to unite the community, not driving random wedges between groups of players.

The last twitch event at least had the good idea of making the prizes avaliable for non-pc platforms, which is a great direction to go ! Very good ! Much approval ! Let's carry on this way !

I wanted that mount, even set clock for it... Didn't even woke up to the loud alarm... I felt bad rly, I mean I tried and failed cause it was 3AM... Also remember that time they did ruffle for the vacation trip or win 1mil $ (or something like that) well my country wasn't allowed to participate (Poland) so explain me why even though I pay for ESO+ am not allowed when some john doe from god knows where might as well have it financed from my hard earned money?
    You guys really should support all countries not just USA. Now I will await my mount and crates and ESL packs...

[Edit to remove threats]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on August 12, 2018 11:22PM
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are on console, don’t worry, you can acquire the pet AND Crown Crates by simply logging into the game and killing one enemy monster in the hour after the Keynote stream (between 1:00PM EDT and 2:00PM EDT). Console rewards will be delivered on August 28.

What about this? ^^
    That's 3-4am for me. Just a bit unfair.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »

Credit where credit is due, good on them for releasing a handful in this manner

Agree! This was good of them. That’s how it’s done!

I work during the times most people are “free” so I don’t get bitter when I miss something like this. It’s the “watch streamers during your free time instead of actually playing the game during your free time” is the part that irked me.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • FelixTheCatt
    FelixTheCatt
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly I can't personally get amped over a free pet or mount being given to anyone. The pets serve no in game purpose whatsoever and mounts....Meh...ones as good as another. A mounts a mount. Things like that don't really interest me too much in the greater scheme of things. I got too many other concerns in life.
    Xbox - Kuchini07
    Eso - FaCoffinDye (EP)
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how do we know which streamer has the torchbug pet?

Guessing... since there isn't any list of them.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ydrisselle wrote: »
    So how do we know which streamer has the torchbug pet?

Guessing... since there isn't any list of them.

I believe only the ESO sponsored streamers some of them off the top of my head atm is

Ninja614, Inklings, Xynode are the 3 I usually see gift them away from what i've seen so far
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Yes! You are so right! I’m not going to watch someone else play a game I love, I’m going to go play it. I really don’t understand the popularity of streamers. I agree that subscribers should be rewarded more as well.

Some people like to watch it while they are at work. Others are there for the commuity
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the firefly pet is actually a source of light like the enchanted lantern memento, this one is very sad for missing out/not being able to participate for geographical reasons :'(
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'll go to the conferences to meet them and say hello and collect some trinkets...

but put them other places than on the edge of the US map so the flights cost less than 300 dollars.
    "The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
    Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Itacira wrote: »
    Which begs the question to me : why are we pretending that preying on that advantage and reinforcing it is ok ?

No one is "preying" on anything. They are promoting their game and promoting events. They are also helping streamers. Stop with the over-the-top spin. There is no injustice in this.

These conversations get so bizarre.
  • druidicwolf
    druidicwolf
    ✭✭
    I feel I have to cite my own disappointment in this topic as well. Although I am not opposed to streamers being given exclusive content to giveaway on their streams as long as said content will be available to others at a future date, even if the date is an unknown. With the date being unknown I feel this will be reason enough for people to still flock to twitch to help channels grow; or more to the point, to stand a chance of receiving a free in-game pet. Most people have no patience and the "I want it now" philosophy will drive them to twitch channels if there are giveaways. Whereas, those who can wait, will.

The main reason I am disappointed is because I absolutely love torchbugs! Which is clearly evident in the fact that I have slaughtered way more butterflies than torchbugs. (In-game, I'm not a monster!).

So, in conclusion: O' wondrous lords of ESO, I implore you, grant us mere mortal-gamers the opportunity to attain a beloved torchbug so as to guide us against the Daedric darkness that threatens Tamriel!
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nothing new. I asked a friend to get me a pet code during the event. They have to give away that stuff and keep the streamers happy because it gives them free advertising, brings more people, that spends more money. Maybe in one year they can make that available in game through other means. Business as usual. You give them 1 sub, streamers give them x subs.
  • cynaes
    cynaes
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind them giving out codes for free stuff to select streamers (or at conventions). I'd rather see ESO grow from a lively streaming community and not have a torchbug pet myself than the other way round.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NyassaV wrote: »
    max_only wrote: »
    Yes! You are so right! I’m not going to watch someone else play a game I love, I’m going to go play it. I really don’t understand the popularity of streamers. I agree that subscribers should be rewarded more as well.

Some people like to watch it while they are at work. Others are there for the commuity

I work while I’m at work......
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cynaes wrote: »
    I don't mind them giving out codes for free stuff to select streamers (or at conventions). I'd rather see ESO grow from a lively streaming community and not have a torchbug pet myself than the other way round.

I would rather ESO cared more about being a great game that would attract people on its own merits, instead of trying to be the next Fortnite clone on social media.

Also, if the content on those streams was worth watching, they wouldn't have any problem attracting viewers, even without the prospect of getting exclusive freebies.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the stream teams are a positive step for the game and awareness/traffic on twitch helps the game overall. Some of these “favourite” streamers also contribute to he game way more than Joe Bloggs with guides etc and don’t get paid anywhere near as much as you’d probably think for it so I’ve no issue in them getting exclusives, especially when they also get to give them out to their viewers.

I’m also against just making everything available in the crown store, I’d rather these pets etc to be built in game for doing content/achievements than people asking to spend 1k crowns for a torchbug

[Edited for reference to removed content]

Edited by ZOS_Mika on August 13, 2018 1:36PM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parrot1986 wrote: »
    I’m also against just making everything available in the crown store, I’d rather these pets etc to be built in game for doing content/achievements than people asking to spend 1k crowns for a torchbug

The perfect way to implement this pet would be to make it a one in a million drop from harvesting torchbugs in the game. Just imagine everyone collecting torchbugs on the overland maps to have a chance at catching this pet.
    That would have been a fun ingame activity, I agree.

But we know that ZOS almost never does this. The vast majority of collectibles goes into their store, with only a few ones obtainable through gameplay. But that is another discussion anyway.
  • Enemoriana
    Enemoriana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »

The perfect way to implement this pet would be to make it a one in a million drop from harvesting torchbugs in the game. Just imagine everyone collecting torchbugs on the overland maps to have a chance at catching this pet.

But we know that ZOS almost never does this. The vast majority of collectibles goes into their store, with only a few ones obtainable through gameplay. But that is another discussion anyway.

I'd love idea of Great Torchbug Hunt! :D

And I want torchbug! There's not a lot of pets that can be used in houses like decorations-to-bring-some-life, not exactly pets.
    • PC EU, @Enemoriana. Ru
    • My wishlist: crown crates, Lucky Cat Landing, atronach/crow/factotum merchant.
    • Houses: The Erstwhile Sanctuary. Everybody is welcomed! Here is video.
    • Luxury furniture is displayed in Forsaken Stronghold. Decorator default. Not luxury, but similar or close looking items marked with jester banners. Closed until ESO+ will be available again for Russia: without doubled limits there is not enough space.
    • Two years with no ESO+ available. Eternal thanks to people who gifted music boxes, my everlasting ESO passion!
  • cynaes
    cynaes
    ✭✭✭

That sounds like an unreasonable grind. Not like fun.

• Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes! But make it a runebox :)
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »

Exactly. A one in a million dropchance from harvesting torchbugs, but dropped as a runebox so you could sell it through guild stores. Could do the same for the butterflies and a butterfly pet too. That would have been fun, it would have been a unique reward (sort of like Aetherial Cipher or Aetherial Dust), but instead they decided to hand it out through streams instead.
  • Svenja
    Svenja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well,

Exactly. A one in a million dropchance from harvesting torchbugs, but dropped as a runebox so you could sell it through guild stores. Could do the same for the butterflies and a butterfly pet too. That would have been fun, it would have been a unique reward (sort of like Aetherial Cipher or Aetherial Dust), but instead they decided to hand it out through streams instead.

If they did that, it would probably take less than an hour after releasing the patch before someone opened a topic here, whining about the too low drop chance. This would be followed by even more people who have seen the runebox in a guild store for 1.9 million gold. "I won't spend that much for a pet!! Please make it possible to get this through other means!"
    There is no way to please this community. :smiley:

I am also quite astonished that this topic hasn't been brought up earlier. Streamers started giving away the torchbugs on Twitch quite a while ago, in the beginning of June.
    PC | EU

Svea Rochaud | Templar Healer | AD
    Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror - Immortal Redeemer - Tick-Tock-Tormentor - Gryphon Heart - Spirit Slayer
  • Aurayna
    Aurayna
    ✭✭✭
    Even with streamers they tend to be a bit clicky with the followers. I suppose they will acknowledge a lot to those that come in and give away loads of subs to their stream, so to an extent it is understandable. So of course giveaways are directed first towards them

I know of just one streamer who engages with his followers regardless and any giveaway is selected randomly, which is the way it should be. Watching streamers can also be a way to enhance your own game with advice or tricks of the trade too

I think at most conventions there are giveaways to those that attend BUT they should be made available to others unable to travel to them for one reason or another.
    PC - EU
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    No one is "preying" on anything. They are promoting their game and promoting events. They are also helping streamers. Stop with the over-the-top spin. There is no injustice in this.

The fact is, this kind of unique cosmetic that could be enjoyed by all is then used to brag by other players who, because they want to feel special - which in itself isn't a bad thing, who doesn't ? - but who then refuse to share their toys with the rest of the children.

By preying, that's what I meant. They're using this need for uniqueness and rarity to promote their events and yes, it's a common commercial tactic, but as I mentioned before it's one that creates a real frustration.

I genuinely do make the difference between a shirt or a coin or a physical trinket of thanks for the presence of fans and creating in-game categories of people by handing out a unique in game item that can't be acquired... in game ! whether in the cashshop or otherwise. It may not be a gameplay disparity, but truthfully, cosmetics are an incredibly important aspect of enjoying the game. Just look at the popularity of housing !
    Edited by Itacira on August 13, 2018 8:16AM
    PC/EU - PVE 2H stam orc petsorc (meta, what meta?) ww - terrible dps - mediocre player - fun times - free ww bites to whomever asks so don't be shy if interested
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Svenja wrote: »
    Well,

If they did that, it would probably take less than an hour after releasing the patch before someone opened a topic here, whining about the too low drop chance. This would be followed by even more people who have seen the runebox in a guild store for 1.9 million gold. "I won't spend that much for a pet!! Please make it possible to get this through other means!"
    There is no way to please this community. :smiley:

I am also quite astonished that this topic hasn't been brought up earlier. Streamers started giving away the torchbugs on Twitch quite a while ago, in the beginning of June.

Maybe because it was kept pretty much under the radar. It's the first time I noticed anything about it, and judging from the people in my guild chat, there weren't many people who knew about it either.
    Yes I did notice that the Twitter post from the streamer in my OP was from June, but there are many of us who do not follow any streamers or their social media, and thus it is still new for many of us, even if it started two months ago.

As for whining about low dropchances, you don't really see that many posts complaining about low dropchance for for instance Aetherial Cipher or Dust. Sure, someone will always be unhappy, but having the pet as a rare drop from torchbugs would perhaps be the solution that would displease the least people, along with selling it through the store, while this solution of handing it out through streamer channels seems to at least have gathered quite a lot of negative reactions, judging from the numer of people who have pressed "agree" on my original post, or voiced their agreement in a reply to this thread.

Edited by Carbonised on August 13, 2018 8:18AM
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ampnode wrote: »
    You guys okay...?

It IS a very cute, unique pet.

I am actually kinda salty about it TBH. But not raving xD
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    Ampnode wrote: »
    You guys okay...?

It IS a very cute, unique pet.

I am actually kinda salty about it TBH. But not raving xD

Yep, a little bit disappointed, but it's not the end of the world. Despite some people's insistance on seeing "outrage" and "triggered" everywhere.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Streamer favorites? No. They are members of our official Stream Team, and yes, they will occasionally get exclusive items to give away during their streams to help grow their channels. We did give away some of these codes to folks who took the time to attend our community meetup last night, and players stopping by the booth. As others have said, this isn't the first time we've done this. We will likely have some codes on-hand at the upcoming gamescom and PAX conventions, too. If you can't attend an in-person convention, your best bet is to try and win one from a member of our Stream Team (these are on all platforms, too).

Edit: Also, our Stream Team members have been giving these codes out for months.

I don't even know what "stream team" is, I don't remember anything like that being announced, and neither do I rememeber hearing that random streamers (how do I know whom do I have to watch anyway?) will be giving unique stuff to whomever they want.
    This is bull.
    Edited by Octopuss on August 13, 2018 8:43AM
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    Streamer favorites? No. They are members of our official Stream Team, and yes, they will occasionally get exclusive items to give away during their streams to help grow their channels. We did give away some of these codes to folks who took the time to attend our community meetup last night, and players stopping by the booth. As others have said, this isn't the first time we've done this. We will likely have some codes on-hand at the upcoming gamescom and PAX conventions, too. If you can't attend an in-person convention, your best bet is to try and win one from a member of our Stream Team (these are on all platforms, too).

Edit: Also, our Stream Team members have been giving these codes out for months.

I don't even know what "stream team" is, I don't remember anything like that being announced, and neither do I rememeber hearing that random streamers (how do I know whom do I have to watch anyway?) will be giving unique stuff to whomever they want.
    This is bull.

I only just saw my first reference to ESO Stream Team like 7 min ago! xD Never heard of it!
  • Zachary_Shadow
    Zachary_Shadow
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the frustration many have with not being able to obtain every in-game item; however, I must ask, why care for an item that does absolutely nothing except cosmetic reasons? Here's the thing, I'm a completionist, so I understand many view points from those who are angry that ZOS weren't more transparent about this and that they won't be able to recieve this torchbug pet unless they went to Quakecon or get on from watching someone stream (which is very unlikely of you getting it). The thing is, this game has so many items that I don't see the point in getting most of them, especially the pets. Most of them you will probably never use anyway, I know I don't. I don't see why many of you would be angry about this. Is it because ZOS wasn't as transparent as they could be for a pet that does absolutely nothing when they were probably too focused on Quakecon? Or is it because you won't be able to receive this pet; therefore, making your precious collection incomplete and making your loved ones leave you?

If one of the reasons why you are upset is because the only way (now at least) to get this pet is through streamers, again I don't see why you are complaining. I've seen some posts on this thread complaining about how they should care about making their game better instead of focusing on the streaming community. I, personally, will almost never watch ESO streams. I just don't like them; however, just because you and I may not like them does not mean others do not. Streaming has been shown to improve game usage across most games, I'm sure the same is for ESO. It would be stupid for ZOS not to help out some of the streamers when they bring over some or a lot of players, either new or returning.

I understand cosmetics, to many of you, are important. They are important to me too, such as the Vampire cosmetic problem, tattoos, hair, etc; however, in all honesty, how many of you would actually use this torchbug pet versus your pet that has glowing eyes, that has fire coming out of it, or just looks amazingly cute? Some of you may love this pet, in which case I apologize for my comments from above. All other reasons, however, I literally see no point in you being angry with ZOS here. Could they have been more transparent? Sure, why not, but I think they had their hands full with Quakecon and Wolfhunter (coming out in a few hours). I'm going to give them a break on this one.

If this was a different item, let's say a mount, I could understand. This is a pet, however, something that is there only for cosmetic reasons. In my opinion, it's not even that great of a pet, some of you may feel differently, in which case I understand why you would be upset in not being able to get this pet. Pets in this game does nothing, sadly. If this was a game where pets had some meaning, where they maybe had different abilities/talents, combat skills, etc. I would completely understand the frustration in not getting a pet then; however, as of right now, it seems like people are just getting angry at ZOS for this just because they had nothing else in mind to get angry with them.
    Edited by Zachary_Shadow on August 13, 2018 10:24AM
This discussion has been closed.