Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best mDK Setups, PvE?

Valrien
Valrien
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Looking to roll a Magicka DK after I finish my current alt. What sets should I be aiming for? Srioria is usually a given, but what should else should I run with it?
Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • BlackStormX
    BlackStormX
    ✭✭✭
    Combine Siroria with Elf Bane. You can also use Sun or BSW is you want. Both are a great options.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I went barharas curse and Elf bane kills stuff so fast..
    Edited by DanteYoda on August 10, 2018 7:17AM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combine Siroria with Elf Bane. You can also use Sun or BSW is you want. Both are a great options.

There´s a big downside with that setup however. In most of the cases you want to have the 5 piece bonus of elf-bane active at all times. This leaves you with Siroria only on the front-bar. As it stands now, you don´t gain any stacks of the Siroria buff if you don´t have the 5 piece bonus active at all times. Since you´ll be running vMA inferno on your backbar you´ll lose the 5 piece bonus on Siroria on the backbar.

With Elf-bane you´ll be able to stay longer on your frontbar and hopefully get max stacks of Siroria anyway, but just wanted to point it out for those who doesn´t know about the way Siroria works.

A setup that works quite well for me:
    * 5 Siroria on the body
    * 5 Burning Spellweave: 3 Jewelry + Infused Inferno staff on frontbar
    * vMA destruction staff backbar
    * Zaan/Valkyn/Grothdarr
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For my MagDk I am running:

2 pc-Zann-Head heavy, shoulder medium.
    5-pc-Siroira (all body bits easier to farm)-would be all light.
    5 pc Elf bane (jewellery and staffs)

Works a treat once you get that rotation down. :)
    Edited by Chaos2088 on August 10, 2018 7:31AM
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • coplannb16_ESO
    coplannb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elfbane is a DPS loss over BSW/Soria and BSW/Sun, it will however help with sustain because you dont need to refresh embers, wall of elements etc.pp. as often, also increases duration of Grothdar, Zaan and Ilambris (fire) procs.

Barharas Curse is a fun self-sustain tank set imho (I soloed normal scalecaler peaks or vet CoA I among other dungeons) with a combination of it. but nothing for DPS optimisation.
    max level: mDK, stamBlade, stamSorc, magPlar, mDen, stamDen, magBlade, stamCro
    ESO+
    # of mules: 4 (FULL)
    maxed bank: FULL -_-
    Stop the grind! Get rid of stupid events and daily-quest gallore. Get rid of "have a chance of 1 in a million to get a piece of 1 in 30 to get a stupid motif or pet... wtf..."
    And at this point just remove all classes and have everyone choose their set of skills. then balance accordingly to skills always used vs. skills never used.
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chaos2088 wrote: »

You can get Elf bane staves?

**Prepares to solo relevant Cyro town**
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen a single indication that Elf Bane is worth slotting in PvE.

I currently run 5 Juli, 5 BSW and 2 Zaan. Could switch the Juli for Siroria, but honestly, in plenty of fights you're required to move around and can't just sit still in your circle. Siroria is great for dummies - pun intended. Juli is more versatile. Plus I can use it in PvP and Battlegrounds as well where Siroria would be wasted.

Could switch Juli for Sun, but the other stats bonuses on Juli are better than Sun, and the flat bonus to spell power helps me in other ways than just increasing the fire damage (like self healing).

So all in all, BSW is a given, I prefer my Juli setup as it's more versatile, Sun would be slightly more fire damage, but no buffs to magic damage or self healing and such. Siroria works great in theory, but not so in practise.

I'm still on the fence with Zaan vs Skoria. With the next nerf to Zaan I just might switch back to Skoria instead.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »

I currently run 5 Juli, 5 BSW and 2 Zaan. Could switch the Juli for Siroria, but honestly, in plenty of fights you're required to move around and can't just sit still in your circle. Siroria is great for dummies - pun intended. Juli is more versatile. Plus I can use it in PvP and Battlegrounds as well where Siroria would be wasted.

Could switch Juli for Sun, but the other stats bonuses on Juli are better than Sun, and the flat bonus to spell power helps me in other ways than just increasing the fire damage (like self healing).

So all in all, BSW is a given, I prefer my Juli setup as it's more versatile, Sun would be slightly more fire damage, but no buffs to magic damage or self healing and such. Siroria works great in theory, but not so in practise.

I'm still on the fence with Zaan vs Skoria. With the next nerf to Zaan I just might switch back to Skoria instead.

Srioria is pretty mobile though. The circle can move every 10 seconds, and you can leave the circle as long as you're back in within 5 seconds.

You just can't be dumb about it.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    2 Ilambris - Divines but with tri glyph

5 Julianos body - Divines (or Div Infused mix) Mag Glyphs

3 Rattlecage jewelry - can trait change to infused with spell glyphs

2 Rattlecage staves - Nirn and Infused/Sharpened

Slot Flames of oblivion on both bars

You can take this bad boy into pvp with impen Juli easily enough. Sustain can be trick if you go for raw 100% uptime spell damage.
  • Xoelarasizerer
    Xoelarasizerer
    ✭✭✭
    Currently roll with Grothdarr/Zaan, BSW and Silks of Sun.

Never done a trial, so I dunno how effective those are for the most end of end-game stuff. No problems with Vet Undaunted Dungs, though.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    D0PAMINE wrote: »

You can take this bad boy into pvp with impen Juli easily enough. Sustain can be trick if you go for raw 100% uptime spell damage.

Sorry but this is terrible advice. He asked for a PvE setup.

1) Ilambris is a bad magDK set. You want double flame staves with flame/spell damage glyphs.
    2) Triglyphs have no place on a PvE setup, it's only for pvp and for tanks.
    3) Rattlecage is a terrible set, especially for PvE. DKs have easy access to sorcery from Molten weaps
    4) Max mag is still the trait MagDK DDs use for jewelry
    5) Double infused is the PvE meta, not nirn or sharp
    6) FoO has no place in PvE, especially not on double bars. People use inner light, and if they have a bar slot free back bar, they slot FoO solely for the damage component
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    D0PAMINE wrote: »

Sorry but this is terrible advice. He asked for a PvE setup.

1) Ilambris is a bad magDK set. You want double flame staves with flame/spell damage glyphs.
    2) Triglyphs have no place on a PvE setup, it's only for pvp and for tanks.
    3) Rattlecage is a terrible set, especially for PvE. DKs have easy access to sorcery from Molten weaps
    4) Max mag is still the trait MagDK DDs use for jewelry
    5) Double infused is the PvE meta, not nirn or sharp
    6) FoO has no place in PvE, especially not on double bars. People use inner light, and if they have a bar slot free back bar, they slot FoO solely for the damage component

You know, I didn't quite think that through when I posted that, a thirsty thursday/friday. I used it as a solo pve build until I made a full pvp conversion because the buff availibility allowed me to use different potions.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • kts
    kts
    ✭✭✭
    Zaan, bsw, siroria
  • boombazookajd
    boombazookajd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jabrone77 wrote: »

Yep. Xynode's build is quite nice. I'm trying to get into a vDSA group for those Destruction Mastery items.
    Drathus Delenu- Dunmer magDk: Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Stormproof, Peak Scaler, Clockwork Confounder, Orderly, Master Wizard, Cloudrest Hero, Undaunted, Dragonstar Arena Champion
    Thoronir Rolston- Breton petsorc: Stormproof
    Zaakazha-Redguard stamblade: Boethia's Scythe, Clockwork Confounder, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Dragonstar Arena Champion

Scrubs:
    Justinius Maximus Decimus- Altmer magblade
    Agronak gro'Mashul- Orc DK Tank
    Valerya Hawkcroft- Breton healer
    Zaaka- Imperial stamDK/crafter

✭✭✭✭
    Just got my first vMA infused inferno staff. Is Mechanical Accuity the best alternative front-bar set available if I don't have a BSW or Siroria staff yet? I couldnt think of any better ones. Was thinking 5x Elf Bane, 2x Zaan, 5x Mechanical Accuity front bar, Maelstrom Inferno staff back bar.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just got my first vMA infused inferno staff. Is Mechanical Accuity the best alternative front-bar set available if I don't have a BSW or Siroria staff yet? I couldnt think of any better ones. Was thinking 5x Elf Bane, 2x Zaan, 5x Mechanical Accuity front bar, Maelstrom Inferno staff back bar.

Julianos. Acuity is only good for Sorcs who use Force Pulse.

This much I know.
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just reading your comments in other threads you seem to look to streamers/build creators and other prominent names in the community when judging what sets are useful. So I present to you alcasts MDK build using Elf Bane:

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-dragonknight-build-pve/

• Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inarre wrote: »

Just reading your comments in other threads you seem to look to streamers/build creators and other prominent names in the community when judging what sets are useful. So I present to you alcasts MDK build using Elf Bane:

Just making a build is uninteresting, I could have thought of that build myself. What I'm interested in is parses of damage of Elf Bane vs for instance using BSW instead.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elfbane is a useful set on a DK, but it is by no means best in slot. The reality is that if you pull higher DPS with elfbane than meta sets like siroria plus BSW/MS, your rotation isnt very good. It's convenient because it makes the rotation easier as everything lasts longer, but it is not max damage.

It's also a bad set to pair with siroria unless you dont have a VMA set and can double bar both. MS and BSW work much better as only a front bar set.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 10, 2018 4:41PM
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elfbane is a useful set on a DK, but it is by no means best in slot. The reality is that if you pull higher DPS with elfbane than meta sets like siroria plus BSW/MS, your rotation isnt very good. It's convenient because it makes the rotation easier as everything lasts longer, but it is not max damage.

It's also a bad set to pair with siroria unless you dont have a VMA set and can double bar both. MS and BSW work much better as only a front bar set.

@Oreyn_Bearclaw

Mother's Sorrow is a good replacement for BSW if you don't have BSW jewelry?
  • Hamburglarjones
    Hamburglarjones
    ✭✭✭
    BSW frontbar or 3x willpower + perfected asylum inferno depending on the fight
    Boone
    Dunmer Magicka DragonKnight
    MagDK raid build guide
    Guild: Dragon's Crest - retired
    World's 3rd vHoF clear & 3rd vHoF HM clear
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inarre wrote: »

Just making a build is uninteresting, I could have thought of that build myself. What I'm interested in is parses of damage of Elf Bane vs for instance using BSW instead.

Your comment said "I haven't seen a single indication that Elf Bane is worth Slotting". I'm showing you an indication... I guess so long as you define "worth slotting" as "viable DPS set up".

let me make it clear I'm not saying this is best in slot, this is JUST what Alcast built. I have not tested it. I'm simply showing you something you said you havent seen before.

If youre interested in testing you can check his twitch channel, not sure if the videos are still up but he did several streams testing it. Here is a youtube video of some of the testing. If I remember in one of the early streams he tested BSW and it was like 2k less dps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MimuSrg8lxg
    Edited by Inarre on August 10, 2018 5:57PM
  • Jamdarius
    Jamdarius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't listen to those copy cats saying Elf Bane + Siroria + Zaan... it is situational setup. Zaan gets nerf soon, like in few days will have just 8m range, it is very easy to break it's beam and in dung/trials if you or boss moves 2 much it is a waste of dmg and set, Skoria is best all rounder for mag DK. Also Elf bane helps with sustain and is being worn by ppl using Zaan to have additional 2 sec of it and some of our skills but tbh afetr testing it out it just helps with sustain cause you can recast wall of elements, engulfing flame or burning embers. Agreed on elf bane being OP vs static bosses but how many dung runs you have it like that? You need to dodge roll/bosses teleport or jump and counting that your proc won't be on same time you need to move more than 10m (soon 8m) from boss is just wishfull thinking. yes it also adds DPS to your destro ulti and/or standard but at what cost? Also trash mobs will melt faster than your 3 dmg procs from Zaan, while skoria procs like all the time. Siroria also is situational, as you need to stand in circle to get boost, so same as with zaan, if you are unlucky your dps will suffer hence hands down for me BSW + Master Architect or Infallible Aether + SKoria are still the most solid for dung/trials run at least from my main mag DK perspective. For PvE solo I run BSW, Skoria/Grothdarr (depends on mood) and sun set and it is way 2 much for the overland mobs. Also Xynode build that somebody posted here is very very nice, just keep in mind he has Legendary Inferno BSW staves which can be switched to buyable Destruction Mastery Staves, ppl tend to forget you do not have to slot same items in the same slot.
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jamdarius wrote: »
    Don't listen to those copy cats saying Elf Bane + Siroria + Zaan...

Hmm is name calling really necessary. Weren't you the guy thinking DOTs can be dodgerolled?

I think some of your points are good general advise but really has nothing much to do with elf bane. Your perspective of elfbane's benefit is a bit off, it WOULD help with sustain if player wearing elfbane did the exact same number of actions as a set up without elfbane per rotation, but the time you earn by not barswapping/reapplying dots is used for extra spammables (whips) so sustain is not really the goal here. If there is any benefit i think it would be super small.

Of course a lot of builds are situational, not just elfbane/zaan. Some of the most used sets this patch are dependent on the caster's positioning, but somehow that has not stopped us from seeing zaan/sirorias on a huge chunk of mag dps. That isn't based off bad advice from these evil elf bane copy cats. That's just the meta. With all dungeons you have to be smart about sets/positioning for each encounter (especially on melee characters like DK). That's not elf bane "Copy cat" specific. Thats general common sense.
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chaos2088 wrote: »

Elf Bane staves? Miracles do exist!
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    best magdk setup for pve is to reroll to magblade and ride the meta-train :trollface:
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    best magdk setup for pve is to reroll to magblade and ride the meta-train :trollface:

That's what I'm working on right now tho
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Valrien wrote: »
    Looking to roll a Magicka DK after I finish my current alt. What sets should I be aiming for? Srioria is usually a given, but what should else should I run with it?

BiS now will state

Best comment/advice reply I've read all week! :)