Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Weapon enchants and damage over time weapon abilities.

glavius
glavius
✭✭✭✭✭
I was under the impression that weapon damage over time abilities could proc enchants. But I tried with destructive clench and poison arrow, and only initial hit procced the enchant.
Is this how it always worked?
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭
    Currently it procs the bar you switch to, not the enchant on the bar that it was cast off. This is changing with the next patch (currently on PTS).
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So damage over time part of a weapon ability can't proc enchants at all?
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @glavius

Orange Combat Text ones don't proc enchants. White Combat Text ones do.
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is extremly inconsistent however. Elemtal blockade e.g. procs enchants on its DOT ticks, but single target dots don't for some reason. I'm pretty sure the ticks of arrow barrage also proc the enchant on CD.

I'd appreciate if any weapon ability and its dot would proc them.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ground based AOE dots proc it. There are only 2 in the game at the moment. Endless Hail and Blockade.

You can get only 1 proc for other skills. Keep in mind not all of them will proc the enchant even for the first tick. For example, Reverb Bash doesn't proc enchants while Pierce Armour and Heroic Slash do.

Edit: Blade Cloak also procs enchants for whatever reason.
    Edited by Liofa on August 2, 2018 9:08AM
  • seanj87
    seanj87
    Dots do not proceed weapon enchants.

Elemental Blockade is not a dot.

When the tooltip says damage over X seconds it's a dot

When tooltip says damage every X seconds it's direct damage.

Sorry blunt, on train
    Edited by seanj87 on August 2, 2018 5:18PM
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does eye of the storm proc weapon enchants? It should according to above conclusions.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    seanj87 wrote: »

Sorry blunt, on train

Shouldn't spread misinformation. Blockade is affected by Master at Arms(who knows why)(EDIT: I was wrong about blockade, its effected by thaum too, tooltip shows miscalculation by master-at-arms) but.. skills like Endless Hail, Hurricane, Blade Cloak, Razor Caltrops, Rending Slash Bleed, Poison Injection Posion over time are all DoT's affected by Thaumaturge and they all have different ways of spelling the tooltip. Do not trust tooltips, even the calculation is off where skills like Blade Cloak were being affected in the tooltip by master at arms and not Thaumaturge, but saw no benefit from master at arms.

There are some weird situations like blade cloak proccing dmg enchants with the damage every 3 seconds, but it won't work if the first hit of blade cloak doesn't proc the enchantment, it has to hit from the first part of the buff or else the other hits wont proc it at all. It isn't reliable. There is only 2 skills that proc them from DoT's like Liofa said. After patch 19, endless hail and blockade will proc the DMG enchantment from the bar its cast on instead of updating when you switch.

Edit as of JAN 18 2019: Elemental Blockade is still a DOT, the tooltips aren't reliable, test the dmg on a dummy.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on January 19, 2019 12:41AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • drummindrummer
    drummindrummer
    ✭✭✭
    So, I've been playing on pts and testing out putting a damage enchant on my backbar where blockade is. So in an aoe situation, which enemy gets damaged from the enchant?
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some types of Single Target damage can cause DOTs
    Some types AOEs can cause DOTs

DOTs are a form of secondary damage triggered from the initial damage hit.

Enchants have a 20% chance to proc off of most weapon skills (note: class abilities are not weapon skills), light and heavy attacks.

Weapon enchantments can only effect a single target, even when you use an AOE that hits multiple targets.

It is my understanding that 'channeled attacks' do not proc weapon enchantments (this used to be the rule anyway). Keep in mind that not all channeled attacks are easy to recognize (such as flurry).

Damage caused by a DOT will not trigger a weapon enchantment, although a DOT can trigger your alchemical poison (if you have one slotted) to proc.

Usually you can tell if a weapon skill is AOE, Single Target, or a Channeled Attack just by looking at the graphics, but not always (flurry and blade cloak are two weapon skills that fall into the 'not always' category).
    Edited by Maryal on August 4, 2018 11:42PM
  • drummindrummer
    drummindrummer
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate the information. But I was just trying to ask which target the enchant would damage. For example, I've been testing on the dummy and using a damage enchant is a slight dps increase with the new changes. My question is, say if I'm fighting a pve boss, and there are adds around...will the damage enchant hit the boss if procced with blockade?

Basically, I'm thinking it may not actually be a damage increase if we can't control which target the enchant hits when procced with blockade. For bosses that is
    Edited by drummindrummer on August 4, 2018 11:34PM
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Maryal

Poisons proc 20% of the time on weapon abilities, light, and heavy attacks, and have an Internal Cooldown of 10s.

Enchantments always proc, but have an Internal Cooldown. (4s for damaging Glyphs, 10s for Effect Glyphs)
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avran_Sylt wrote: »
    @Maryal

Poisons proc 20% of the time on weapon abilities, light, and heavy attacks, and have an Internal Cooldown of 10s.

Enchantments always proc, but have an Internal Cooldown. (4s for damaging Glyphs, 10s for Effect Glyphs)

I am well aware of cool down times, but cool down times were not what I was addressing. My comment had to do with what can or cannot proc a weapon enchantment. As a side note I included the distinction between getting a weapon enchantment to proc and getting an alchemical poison to proc.

Enchantments do NOT always proc, if, by the word "always" you mean from any damage type.
    However, getting an alchemical poison to proc is not limited by damage type (I will double check this to make sure, but whether intended or not, it doesn't seem to follow the same rules as enchantments)

I stand by what I said.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/218444/weapon-enchantment-proc
    Edited by Maryal on August 4, 2018 11:58PM
  • drummindrummer
    drummindrummer
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if that response was for me or not. But I wanted to clarify. If there are 3 targets in my blockade, how will I know which target the enchant damages when it procs?

edit: oops just saw the @ name.
    Edited by drummindrummer on August 4, 2018 11:57PM
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the information. But I was just trying to ask which target the enchant would damage. For example, I've been testing on the dummy and using a damage enchant is a slight dps increase with the new changes. My question is, say if I'm fighting a pve boss, and there are adds around...will the damage enchant hit the boss if procced with blockade?

Basically, I'm thinking it may not actually be a damage increase if we can't control which target the enchant hits when procced with blockade. For bosses that is

There may be an addon that will tell you which of several enemies hit with your AOE got the enchantment proc, but I personally don't know of any. I don't think there is an easy way to tell which one got the 'enchantment proc' ... not during the fight anyway. After the fight you can look at your combat log (if you have the add-on) to get that information, but that's after the fight is over.

Edited by Maryal on August 5, 2018 12:19AM
  • drummindrummer
    drummindrummer
    ✭✭✭
    Well, not so much as tell. But to control. I like to put all in on single target dps to kill bosses quicker. So if my enchants are just going to hit random adds, I'll just keep my spell damage enchant on backbar. I guess the only way to find out is to go solo some norm dungeon bosses with adds and look at metrics. Just thought someone would know in the meantime :P
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, not so much as tell. But to control. I like to put all in on single target dps to kill bosses quicker. So if my enchants are just going to hit random adds, I'll just keep my spell damage enchant on backbar. I guess the only way to find out is to go solo some norm dungeon bosses with adds and look at metrics. Just thought someone would know in the meantime :P

If you hit an enemy using a single target damage weapon skill, then only that enemy will get the enchantment proc.

If you are using an AOE weapon skill, hitting several enemies (adds + boss), 'which' of them will get the enchantment proc is RNG.

If you are using an AOE weapon skill and it only hits 1 enemy, the weapon enchant can only proc on that enemy.
  • drummindrummer
    drummindrummer
    ✭✭✭
    Right, that much I figured. But since I'm relying on only blockade to proc my backbar enchant, and it's aoe, I didn't know how it would work. Guess it's rng after all :/

I'm still gonna test it out to see. Because the damage on a single target without any adds is very nice

edit: yeah my weaving while on backbar will proc the enchant on targets I hit, but 90% of the time it will be proccing while I'm on my frontbar from blockade, and on cooldown while on backbar. so...lol
    Edited by drummindrummer on August 5, 2018 12:44AM
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Avran_Sylt

I did test the alchemical poisons proc'ing ... I don't know if it's my armor set, monster set, or what, but alchemical poisons definitely proc ... let's say "differently" ... I didn't notice just how 'differently' this was until a little while ago when scrutinizing my combat log for when/how often/which targets alchemical poisons proc. on.

Since I may have found a (potentially) exploitable bug, I'll make an in-game report after I do a bit more testing. That being said, I'll withdraw that part of my previous comment having to do with 'what' procs alchemical poisons.

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maryal wrote: »
    @Avran_Sylt

I did test the alchemical poisons proc'ing ... I don't know if it's my armor set, monster set, or what, but alchemical poisons definitely proc ... let's say "differently" ... I didn't notice just how 'differently' this was until a little while ago when scrutinizing my combat log for when/how often/which targets alchemical poisons proc. on.

Since I may have found a (potentially) exploitable bug, I'll make an in-game report after I do a bit more testing. That being said, I'll withdraw that part of my previous comment having to do with 'what' procs alchemical poisons.

I know, wall of elements will, and on live, it'll proc your current bar's poisons

I know WoE will proc enchantments.

This I know
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • drummindrummer
    drummindrummer
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've done some testing and it seems like the enchant will hit the closest enemy to you when casting blockade. The only way to get it to change targets is to stand close to a different enemy and recast blockade. I'd imagine it will work the same with endless hail
    Edited by drummindrummer on August 5, 2018 11:46PM
  • abelsgmx
    abelsgmx
    ✭✭✭
    Is Destructive Touch triggering the weapon enchant? Looks like doen't trigger it
  • iidcjrii
    iidcjrii
    Soul Shriven

Sorry blunt, on train

Shouldn't spread misinformation. Blockade is affected by Master at Arms(who knows why) but.. skills like Endless Hail, Hurricane, Blade Cloak, Razor Caltrops, Rending Slash Bleed, Poison Injection Posion over time are all DoT's affected by Thaumaturge and they all have different ways of spelling the tooltip. Do not trust tooltips, even the calculation is off where skills like Blade Cloak were being affected in the tooltip by master at arms and not Thaumaturge, but saw no benefit from master at arms.

There are some weird situations like blade cloak proccing dmg enchants with the damage every 3 seconds, but it won't work if the first hit of blade cloak doesn't proc the enchantment, it has to hit from the first part of the buff or else the other hits wont proc it at all. It isn't reliable. There is only 2 skills that proc them from DoT's like Liofa said. After patch 19, endless hail and blockade will proc the DMG enchantment from the bar its cast on instead of updating when you switch.

He’s not spreading mis-information. Everything he said was correct. I’m not sure why you said blockade is effected by master at arms (who knows why) when, he literally just told you why lol. Blockade is direct damage. Anything that does x damage every second is direct damage. Do blockade does 1000 damage every 1 second that is direct damage. When something does 1000 damage over x seconds, it is a dot. That is 100% accurate. Endless hail does not get any benefit from Tham, it is direct damage. Rending slashes on the other hand does benefit from Tham
    Bc it does damage over a certain amount of time. The tool tip doesn’t spell anything out different. If it does the same amount of damage every second it’s up it’s direct damage, if it does one amount of damage over a period of time, it’s a dot.
    Edited by iidcjrii on January 12, 2019 3:32PM
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    iidcjrii wrote: »

Sorry blunt, on train

Shouldn't spread misinformation. Blockade is affected by Master at Arms(who knows why) but.. skills like Endless Hail, Hurricane, Blade Cloak, Razor Caltrops, Rending Slash Bleed, Poison Injection Posion over time are all DoT's affected by Thaumaturge and they all have different ways of spelling the tooltip. Do not trust tooltips, even the calculation is off where skills like Blade Cloak were being affected in the tooltip by master at arms and not Thaumaturge, but saw no benefit from master at arms.

He’s not spreading mis-information. Everything he said was correct. I’m not sure why you said blockade is effected by master at arms (who knows why) when, he literally just told you why lol. Blockade is direct damage. Anything that does x damage every second is direct damage. Do blockade does 1000 damage every 1 second that is direct damage. When something does 1000 damage over x seconds, it is a dot. That is 100% accurate. Endless hail does not get any benefit from Tham, it is direct damage. Rending slashes on the other hand does benefit from Tham
    Bc it does damage over a certain amount of time. The tool tip doesn’t spell anything out different. If it does the same amount of damage every second it’s up it’s direct damage, if it does one amount of damage over a period of time, it’s a dot.

This a necro, many things have changed since.... August of 2018.

Don't trust tool tips. Trust the dmg numbers you get with a test dummy. ZOS does NOT care to standardize their wording on abilities to this date.

Just hopped on the PTS for your convenience.

Test Dummy dmg with No CP
    Blockade: 524
    Deadly Cloak: 292
    Endless Hail: 227

Test Dummy dmg with 23 points in to Thaumaturge 0 in master-at-arms
    Blockade: 604
    Deadly Cloak: 321
    Endless Hail: 249

Test Dummy dmg with 23 points in to Master-At-Arms 0 in thaumaturge
    Blockade: 550
    Deadly Cloak: 292
    Endless Hail: 227

Test Dummy dmg with 23 points in to Master/Thaum
    Blockade: 624
    Deadly Cloak: 321
    Endless Hail: 249

Tooltips without CP
    Blockade: 714 dmg every 1 second
    Quick Cloak: 459 dmg every 3 sec for 15 sec
    Endless Hail: 357 every 0.5 sec for 10 sec

Tooltips with 23 points in to Thaumaturge 0 in master-at-arms
    Blockade: 749 dmg every 1 second (wait what?)
    Quick Cloak: 459 dmg every 3 sec for 15 sec
    Endless Hail: 357 every 0.5 sec for 10 sec

Tooltips with 23 points in to Master-At-Arms 0 in thaumaturge
    Blockade: 823 dmg every 1 second (wait what?)
    Quick Cloak: 504 dmg every 3 seconds for 15 seconds
    Endless Hail: 392 dmg every 0.5 seconds for 10 seconds

EDIT: Tooltips with 23 points in to Master/Thaum
    Blockade: 851 dmg every 1 second
    Quick Cloak: 504 dmg every 3 seconds for 15 seconds
    Endless Hail: 392 dmg every 0.5 seconds for 10 seconds

Tooltips aren't reliable and neither is ZOS's math, Blockade appears to double dip in both CP's. There would need to be testing for monster sets too that proc on DOT chance, but I'm done testing this for now.

ALL 3 of those abilities are considered "DOTs" effected by Thaum, however their wording is different and the tooltip dmg doesn't increase properly, actually only increasing with master-at-arms (with the exception of blockade for some reason).

Rending Slashes and Poison Injection initial hit is master-at-arms while the bleed and poison over time are both DOTs effected by thaum.

Edited by MashmalloMan on January 19, 2019 12:57AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit