The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can Someone Explain a Few Warden Skills

kylewwefan
kylewwefan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
1. Fetcher Infection- throw an angry hornets nest at someone for 7k Damage and 19k Damage over 10 seconds. %50 more damage on second cast. Is the %50 more just on another initial damage or does the whole dot get increased? Should I use this like a spammable?
2. Crystal Slab- Twirl some ice around you to intercept 30k damage from projectiles. Returns 7k Damage to attacker. This thing looks like it better than hardened ward, but it doesn’t seem very good at all in practice? I end up using light armor skill harness magic for a 16k damage shield that works.

Thanks for taking a look
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fetcher skill is increased damage of the dot, so you have to let it run the duration, don't use it as a spamable.
    The crystal slab - the projectiles from this are slow and dont really do good damage, in pvp they will miss most of the time as they are easily seen.
    The majority of wardens take the other morph Shimmering Shield as ulti regen is great. :)

Beware though the shield isnt as good as hardened ward as it only absorbs projectiles, so great against ranged builds but if you get a stam toon or a mag dk on you in pvp. not much good.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crystal slab damage scales of you max HP, so most builds won´t be doing much damage with it, but it´s not a bad skill by any means.
  • makreth
    makreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fetcher skill is increased damage of the dot, so you have to let it run the duration, don't use it as a spamable.
    The crystal slab - the projectiles from this are slow and dont really do good damage, in pvp they will miss most of the time as they are easily seen.
    The majority of wardens take the other morph Shimmering Shield as ulti regen is great. :)

Beware though the shield isnt as good as hardened ward as it only absorbs projectiles, so great against ranged builds but if you get a stam toon or a mag dk on you in pvp. not much good.

what is considered "second cast" and when does that opportunity end for the damage bonus i mean.....also is it target specific or can you cast on a primary target and then on a secondary one? This skill confuses me a lot...
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. You could potentially double cast this so you have the 50% more damage more often, but I’m guessing even that would be a dps loss over just using another dot or spammable in that gcd you used to double cast it. Either way, definitely don’t use it as a full spammable. I’m not sure where you got the 7k initial hit from but I’m pretty sure this is just a dot.
    2. Hardened ward absorbs any damage except oblivion until it runs out or expires. Crystal slab only absorbs projectiles until it’s absorbed three, runs out, or expires. So crystal slab can absorb more damage than hardened ward (or the light armor damage shield, or really any damage shield) but it’s only situationally useful whereas true damage shields have near-universal use. Examples:
    Bow user hits you with three 1.2k light attacks: Damage shield absorbs them and remains, crystal slab gets used up and falls off
    2h user hits you with two 3.5k dizzying swings and a 1k light attack: damage shield absorbs them but gets used up and falls off, crystal slab doesn’t absorb any of it
    Bow user hits you with three 4.5k snipes: damage shield absorbs first two then falls off and the third doesn’t get absorbed, crystal slab absorbs all three then falls off
    Staff user hits you with two 2.7k force pulses and a 1.7k light attack: damage shield absorbs them and remains, crystal slab only absorbs the light attack and remains but the two force pulses don’t get absorbed
    You stand in a wall of elements for three seconds, and it does 1.5k every tick: damage shield absorbs the damage and remains, crystal slab doesn’t absorb any of it

Idk how accurate the values are, but the situations would likely play out at least similar to what’s stated above.

Edit to answer another question:
    makreth wrote: »

what is considered "second cast" and when does that opportunity end for the damage bonus i mean.....also is it target specific or can you cast on a primary target and then on a secondary one? This skill confuses me a lot...

Casting the skill once gives you a non-duration buff that increases the damage the next time you cast the skill, which then falls off once you do cast it again. And this repeats: cast, get the buff, cast, buff falls off, cast, get the buff, cast, buff falls off, etc. I think the buff is removed if you log off of the character, otherwise I haven’t noticed it falling off for any reason other than casting the skill.
    Edited by jypcy on July 31, 2018 1:47PM
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Crystal slab damage scales of you max HP, so most builds won´t be doing much damage with it, but it´s not a bad skill by any means.

Ohhh I'm run a 54k warden tank in PvP but I run shimmering shield instead might have to think about swapping it
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @makreth
    During a pve rotation you would apply this once and it will run for 10 seconds. its a DOT only so there is no initial damage up front. your hands will glow with the charged fetcher effect to indicate that the next cast will do 50% more damage over the next 10 seconds, So.. you have 10 sec with normal damage then 10 sec with more damage. its a bit peculiar.
    If you cast it once then check your tooltip it will indicate more damage and your hands will be glowing.
    Edited by Starlight_Knight on July 31, 2018 2:31PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for straightening that up a bit. Any thoughts on arctic blast? %10 heal and %2 every 2 seconds. Seems weak. I use the vines trellis thing.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    Thanks for straightening that up a bit. Any thoughts on arctic blast? %10 heal and %2 every 2 seconds. Seems weak. I use the vines trellis thing.

It's weak if your low health bit otherwise it's not bad I use it but I'm at 54k health
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    regarding the swarm skill, I see it as an aoe, with the focus on getting in on more kills...

I use growing swarm...not so much for damage, but, just to put DoTs on everyone I can...lots of folks don't use purge...

instead of crystal slab, I go with shimmering shield on one bar, and, have heroic slash on the other, with decisive weapons...

it's useful to be able to spam trees or have permafrost ready to use...

however, there lots of different ways to get to the same goal (kill other players :p)...

haven't tried artic blast at all...

did want to use gripping shards, but, could never seem to get it to work...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »

yes and dont forget this is halved in pvp. only good for huge HP built wardens.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fletcher infection - you press the skill button twice and you will notice the second cast (button press) has a different animation to the first