The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

"Top", or pretty dang good DPS post Summerset...MagNB still? (pve)

Joxer61
Joxer61
✭✭✭✭✭
So, now that the dust and newness has settled how are all the classes fairing PVE dps-wise? I have seen a lot of fun builds around so from the looks of things it could almost be anything? Seeing a bow/bow/ Warden build and hearing good things about it along with MagDK's being back up there as well! Or are the magNB's still reigning supreme? Would be nice for the game if everyone was pretty close to each other and therefore opening it up for more classes and all that.
Edited by Joxer61 on July 30, 2018 10:59AM
  • Joker99
    Joker99
    ✭✭✭
    The buff was across the board and there was little class changes, the biggest one being MagDK sustain buff, apart from that everything is the same in terms of magicka. MagBlades and MagSorcs still top dps this patch for magicka.
    PC-EU
    DPS Slave:
    StamNB, MagNB, MagPlar, MagDK, StamDK, StamWarden
    Mostly just a scrub. Not even max CP.Actually max CP.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really understand the idea that every class should be equal DPS, equal Tankiness and equal Healing, they shouldn't be the same numberwise, there should be plus sides and down sides that show real class identity.

The game started out as DK = Tank, Templar = Healer, Nightblade = Burst DPS and Sorcerer = Sustained DPS. I don't play a nightblade, but I'm fine with them being "TOP" dps as long as the other classes bring something to the table or are just a little behind. Making every class perform the same seems like a bad idea.

Obviously you can dig deeper than my simple explanation of the classes and maybe it's not accurate. To be fair I love that classes can be any role, but why should a templar have the same DPS as a nightblade doesn't make sense to me. Guess the game has changed a lot. I'm talking within 2-3k dps end game. I guess it's much more substantial then that though. I'll stick with Stamina Sorcerer's play style no matter if it's best or worst dps. I just want more options or more group support, instead of feeling like a selfish, 1 trick pony.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on July 30, 2018 8:10PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game started out as DK = Tank, Templar = Healer, Nightblade = Burst DPS and Sorcerer = Sustained DPS. I don't play a nightblade, but I'm fine with them being "TOP" dps as long as the other classes bring something to the table or are just a little behind. Making every class perform the same seems like a bad idea.

Actually, it started out as:
    mDK = Tank
    mDK = DPS
    mDK = DPS and tank both with armor change add on
    Templar = heals
    mnb = veils so we need 1 of you
    sAnything is for PVP

Since then we have been many different places. The lack of any clear vision as to what things are supposed to be like has lead to at least 3 complete redesigns of combat so far and it is not currently in one of the better balanced states. On top of all that they have a huge cheat engine problem they ignore. Not much competence in game design and balance.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • FearAndPatching
    FearAndPatching
    ✭✭✭
    Nightblades both Stam and magicka are highest damage dealers in game by large margin right now. I’m shelfing my main (non pet mag sorc) he hits 43k self buffed rest of Summerset for my magblade.

Hard to justify playing the terrible sustain game of magsorc for less DPS when you can just go magblade deal more damage, have way better sustain, and self/group heals while damaging.
    Xbox NA Aldmeri Dominion 1,000 CP+

High Elf, MagSorc, Flawless Conquerer, Master Crafter 9 Trait Everything
    Khajiit, Stamblade, Flawless Conquerer
    Dark Elf, MagDK, Flawless Conquerer
    Imperial StamWard, Flawless Conquerer
    Breton, MagPlar, Flawless Conquerer
    Dark Eld, MagBlade, Flawless Conquerer

Inspirational quote to live by

“Feed a man a fish he’ll eat for a day, turn a man into a fish he’s a fish for life”
  • Gprime31
    Gprime31
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades both Stam and magicka are highest damage dealers in game by large margin right now. I’m shelfing my main (non pet mag sorc) he hits 43k self buffed rest of Summerset for my magblade.

Hard to justify playing the terrible sustain game of magsorc for less DPS when you can just go magblade deal more damage, have way better sustain, and self/group heals while damaging.

Mag sorc does 49-51k with great sustain, maybe you should do some research
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gprime31 wrote: »

If you arent aware that magnb outperform sorcs by around 4-5k then you don't really play endgame...
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so NB are doing great...and yea, I kinda agree in that all classes shouldn't be "equal", just so long as classes aren't excluded. But then that's any MMO where you will have ones that stand above all else....so....in saying that....stamNB or magNB? Or is it simply to close to call and more a personal thing/playstyle?
  • Chibs
    Chibs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah Mag Sorcs are the second best Mag DPS, but people don’t seem to get how big the DPS gap really is between Mag NB and Mag Sorc.
  • FearAndPatching
    FearAndPatching
    ✭✭✭

If you arent aware that magnb outperform sorcs by around 4-5k then you don't really play endgame...

The highest parse I have saw out of any magsorc from a top streamer was 49k with perfected asylum. Meanwhile there are numerous magblade’s I know that don’t even have fully golded out gear and/or are missing correct traits on pieces and are still parsing 49-51k.

“Feed a man a fish he’ll eat for a day, turn a man into a fish he’s a fish for life”
  • FearAndPatching
    FearAndPatching
    ✭✭✭
    Chibs wrote: »
    Yeah Mag Sorcs are the second best Mag DPS, but people don’t seem to get how big the DPS gap really is between Mag NB and Mag Sorc.

I’ve been playing since launch and have never saw the gap between top tier DPS classes be larger. Compare on a 6 mil health dummy and the differences become even more obvious in nightblades favor.

• Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Chibs wrote: »

Add to that their 2 GROUP heals which can be built into the build with minimal dps loss. One of which scales off damage done making it more potent every patch.

Won't be long until a NB healer/dps hybrid replaces a healer in trials.
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭

Sustainable 49-51k on non-pet sorc? You mind sharing some proof?
    [PC EU][GERMAN][ENGLISH][730~ CP]
    Flawless Conquerer - vHoF HM - vAS+1 - vMoL - vCR
    the Kuhn - Dunmer - MagNB
    Samjuel-EL - Orc - StamNB
    Son Hala - Altmer - MagSorc
    Draxyl - Argonian - Warden
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stop right there. NBs do more than that.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭

Stop right there. NBs do more than that.

I don't know guys. The numbers in this thread don't really look right to me. Non-pet sorc with sustainable 51k? mNBs doing 4-5k more than that? Is this still about raid setup, no cheese, self-buffed DPS on 6mil dummy?
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »
    So, now that the dust and newness has settled how are all the classes fairing PVE dps-wise? I have seen a lot of fun builds around so from the looks of things it could almost be anything? Seeing a bow/bow/ Warden build and hearing good things about it along with MagDK's being back up there as well! Or are the magNB's still reigning supreme? Would be nice for the game if everyone was pretty close to each other and therefore opening it up for more classes and all that.

Not magblade...Just nightblade in general was/is and as it seems will remain top dps in this game xD

The whineblade's eternal forum tears brought them there.
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Gprime31 still waiting for a link to the 51k magsorc video. Can't wait to do that much DPS on my sorc.

• Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    nnargun wrote: »
    @Gprime31 still waiting for a link to the 51k magsorc video. Can't wait to do that much DPS on my sorc.

I want to see 51k magsorc on 6 (six) M dummy.
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »

I want to see 51k magsorc on 6 (six) M dummy.

Sustainable he said. I thought that implied 6mil.

For the start I wouldn't mind seeing a 51k video on 3mil though.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off heals vs Shield/Pets

Higher DPS vs Easier rotation

Countless times I've witnessed a pet take agro long enough for the tank be revived. Countless times I've witnessed a sorc live when all others died to a mechanic.

Granted TOP mNB's will pull 3-4k more DPS than TOP mSorc's but each have their own advantages to bringing along.

@Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    Off heals vs Shield/Pets

Countless times I've witnessed a pet take agro long enough for the tank be revived. Countless times I've witnessed a sorc live when all others died to a mechanic.

Granted TOP mNB's will pull 3-4k more DPS than TOP mSorc's but each have their own advantages to bringing along.

NB has a shield. Not quite as big but with magica return instead. Imo the heals (self AND group) outweigh the bigger shields. Movement speed is another plus for NB. Sustain is sooo much better on NB. The only points I can see for magsorc are bigger shields and easier rotation, whereby the non-pet rotation is not that much easier than the NB rotation.
    Petsorc is different. I'd rate it higher than NB for solo play and for beginners but who takes their zoo to serious trials?
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    Off heals vs Shield/Pets

NB has a shield. Not quite as big but with magica return instead. Imo the heals (self AND group) outweigh the bigger shields. Movement speed is another plus for NB. Sustain is sooo much better on NB. The only points I can see for magsorc are bigger shields and easier rotation, whereby the non-pet rotation is not that much easier than the NB rotation.
    Petsorc is different. I'd rate it higher than NB for solo play and for beginners but who takes their zoo to serious trials?

Not every NB runs Harness Magicka. Most opt to run Dampen Magic to get 11k or do shield without going for 50k magicka. Because most builds sit around at 40~45k magicka with spell damage booster sets or regen sets.

And mNBs are the definite top magicka DPS. Pretty sure the parses everyone is talking about are with full buffs and most likely are with 3mil dummy parse. Sorcs do usually 40k~47k tops without pet while mNBs do 45k~51k?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=abdbejzrxj8
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yGKsYAnzBZo
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H4sAeoW0SXA 53k

All 3 mils tho
    Edited by IZZEFlameLash on August 1, 2018 9:56AM
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • BeefyMrTips
    BeefyMrTips
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look, a sorc who is designed to be useful in trials, will run abilities that bring their dps down but help the team since MagBlades are designed to hit harder single target.

I run non pet, with Atro ulti to give synergy damage buff, frags to give sorc passive, and crushing shock to be the hero. I am sitting at 41k. If a sorc plays completely selfish for dps, they can do around 46-51k without a doubt on a 3 mil with Lover mundus, probably closer to 43-46k on 6 mil.

A sorc should not ever be able to do as much single target dps as a nightblade… sorcs are designed to melt mobs and be great around single target, a nightblade is designed to be pure single target with some mob melting capabilities.

In my opinion sorc is more fun to play, a magblades rotation is unforgiving. You mess it up a little bit and you lose 2k dps almost immediately lol. I made my magblade into a bomber for fun after losing myself in trying to get 48k dps, highest I got was 47k and it wasn't fun for me anymore.
    Edited by BeefyMrTips on August 1, 2018 3:23PM
    Mr. was my Father's name, just the tips is fine.
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fully agree with you @BeefyMrTips, except for the fun part :)
    Problem is, though, that there are not too many spots for utility magsorcs in endgame trials. And when all buffs/debuffs are applied, NBs just do more and sustained damage while healing the group.
  • Iki
    Iki
    ✭✭✭
    Look, a sorc who is designed to be useful in trials, will run abilities that bring their dps down but help the team since MagBlades are designed to hit harder single target.

I run non pet, with Atro ulti to give synergy damage buff, frags to give sorc passive, and crushing shock to be the hero. I am sitting at 41k. If a sorc plays completely selfish for dps, they can do around 46-51k without a doubt on a 3 mil with Lover mundus, probably closer to 43-46k on 6 mil.

A sorc should not ever be able to do as much single target dps as a nightblade… sorcs are designed to melt mobs and be great around single target, a nightblade is designed to be pure single target with some mob melting capabilities.

In my opinion sorc is more fun to play, a magblades rotation is unforgiving. You mess it up a little bit and you lose 2k dps almost immediately lol. I made my magblade into a bomber for fun after losing myself in trying to get 48k dps, highest I got was 47k and it wasn't fun for me anymore.

Look, if sorc is designed to be useful in trials, how come raids are full of magblades?

You try to use sorcs aoe-dps as justification why magblades should pull higher/highest single-target-dps, but you just forget to mention that its pet-sorc with volatile familiar who got that aoe-deeps, non-pet sorcs not so much. But, pets just doesn`t work that well in trials.. Pet-sorcs awesome aoe-dps in trashpulls is small comfort if that spec is useless in boss-fights. Your non-pet sorc won`t pull much or at all more aoe-deeps than magblade, and while atronach is good for st-dps you use or should use destro-ulti against mobs and magblades use that as well.

Take a look at aoe-skills everybody use: both sorc and magblade use wall of elements, then, sorcs got liquid lightning and magblade got path, twisting path if you go for highest deeps. While liquid lightning deal awesome dmg, its radius is very tiny and mobs would have to be extremely nicely packed to small area for it to deal good aoe-dps, while magblades twisting path does good dmg in much larger area. I do not see how aoe-dps could justify difference in st-dps when compared to nbs.

Then you say magblade rotatoin is unforgiving, true to some extent. But these days it`s far easier and forgiving than what it used to be, say, half year ago. Mistakes drop everyones dps while improving your own gameplay increases it, with nb though, playing more skillfully increases your dps more than it would do with other classes. Can you see a problem with that? Also, don`t forget that part of sorcs dps is behind rng, talking about frag procs ofc. Sorc can play well and execute his rotations perfectly, but if one lacks luck with frag-procs dps is lower than it could be. So, lower dps without you screwing up anything, sounds unfair, doesn`t it?

Finally, I do understand that perfect balance does not exist. There will always be one class/spec that does more or less better than others, that`s not the problem. I don`t mind nightblades pulling highest dps, but what I do mind is the margin to other classes. Right now problem isn`t magblades pulling highest dps, problem is how much ahead of others they are. And that covers not only dps but also sustain, survivability, mobility and utility. All other classes are lacking something in pve, but nightblades are lacking weaknesses.
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lol . No way you can cross 45K in magic sorc without someone . That too with great sustain ? Just prove it.. Magic sorc instant kick in vet trials for DD. Only NBs allowed. DK for tanks and templars for healers. Other classes go and *** yourselves.
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on August 1, 2018 7:41PM
  • BeefyMrTips
    BeefyMrTips
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iki wrote: »

Look, if sorc is designed to be useful in trials, how come raids are full of magblades?

You try to use sorcs aoe-dps as justification why magblades should pull higher/highest single-target-dps, but you just forget to mention that its pet-sorc with volatile familiar who got that aoe-deeps, non-pet sorcs not so much. But, pets just doesn`t work that well in trials.. Pet-sorcs awesome aoe-dps in trashpulls is small comfort if that spec is useless in boss-fights. Your non-pet sorc won`t pull much or at all more aoe-deeps than magblade, and while atronach is good for st-dps you use or should use destro-ulti against mobs and magblades use that as well.

Take a look at aoe-skills everybody use: both sorc and magblade use wall of elements, then, sorcs got liquid lightning and magblade got path, twisting path if you go for highest deeps. While liquid lightning deal awesome dmg, its radius is very tiny and mobs would have to be extremely nicely packed to small area for it to deal good aoe-dps, while magblades twisting path does good dmg in much larger area. I do not see how aoe-dps could justify difference in st-dps when compared to nbs.

Then you say magblade rotatoin is unforgiving, true to some extent. But these days it`s far easier and forgiving than what it used to be, say, half year ago. Mistakes drop everyones dps while improving your own gameplay increases it, with nb though, playing more skillfully increases your dps more than it would do with other classes. Can you see a problem with that? Also, don`t forget that part of sorcs dps is behind rng, talking about frag procs ofc. Sorc can play well and execute his rotations perfectly, but if one lacks luck with frag-procs dps is lower than it could be. So, lower dps without you screwing up anything, sounds unfair, doesn`t it?

Finally, I do understand that perfect balance does not exist. There will always be one class/spec that does more or less better than others, that`s not the problem. I don`t mind nightblades pulling highest dps, but what I do mind is the margin to other classes. Right now problem isn`t magblades pulling highest dps, problem is how much ahead of others they are. And that covers not only dps but also sustain, survivability, mobility and utility. All other classes are lacking something in pve, but nightblades are lacking weaknesses.

Raids are full of mag blades because they pull higher dps. Example 3 mag blades and 1 sorc vs 4 sorcs in trial. Mag blade going to hit boss usually 5-6k more dps for each magblade vs sorc. Then take 3 mag blades that around 15k dps more than if they were full of sorcs. In one minute they do 900k more dps. Boss fights can take up to 15-20 min in some vet trials where DPS is crucial. In 20 min that is a potential 18,000,000 more dps than 4 sorcs as an example.

As far as the gap between nightblades and other classes when it comes to dps, a sorc has far superior aoe, its not even close, twisting path is garbage compared to liquid and they only have a 6 second shield which kind of makes them like glass cannons where their survival weighs heavily on tanks and healers.

Some classes are way better than others in pvp for different reasons and sorc has a clear advantage in maelstrom arena. Nightblades have a lot of weaknesses, but in end game trial content they shine, and there is nothing wrong with that. I play a sorc and love sorc more than nightblades but you cant go through this game expecting things to always be to your advantage.

Finally, those that play magblade mostly play it now specifically for end game trial content, they took the time developing a new character in order to participate.

It sounds to me like you are stuck always trying to follow the BiS mold and are frustrated that this time, the mold doesn't agree with your wants. Id advise you of the following: The BiS is always changing and there are many ways to achieve high DPS that I believe haven't been discovered yet with combinations not tried before. I spend a lot of time in development of theorized possibilities to obtain higher dps and know this to be true. Nothing is BiS until someone discovers it. Right now, someone discovered it with nightblades, maybe tomorrow someone will discover it with sorcs, so on and so forth.
    Mr. was my Father's name, just the tips is fine.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iki wrote: »

Raids are full of mag blades because they pull higher dps. Example 3 mag blades and 1 sorc vs 4 sorcs in trial. Mag blade going to hit boss usually 5-6k more dps for each magblade vs sorc. Then take 3 mag blades that around 15k dps more than if they were full of sorcs. In one minute they do 900k more dps. Boss fights can take up to 15-20 min in some vet trials where DPS is crucial. In 20 min that is a potential 18,000,000 more dps than 4 sorcs as an example.

You have just proven the other guy is right. Sorcs are so "useful" that trial leaders invite all NBs, and exactly because all it's needed nowadays is huge DPS, not utility.

You examples are flawed. They were somewhat relevant some years ago, when trash mobs were prevalent and when bosses had meaningful use for AoE damage.
    Nowadays everything is only around, about and created for magblades, even trials.

I joined 2 progression guilds and the first 2 questions they asked me were:

1) Do you have a magblade, we want you to play it, not your sorc.
    2) Can you respec to non pet build.

That's all what's needed to say. Period.

Al the rest is hot air.

Edited by Vahrokh on August 1, 2018 8:31PM
  • terrasight
    terrasight
    ✭✭✭

lol . No way you can cross 45K in magic sorc without someone .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVb74ggycq8

No?

Hekat'e / Hel'a Niflheim - Sorc / Necro - PS5 EU
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some classes are way better than others in pvp for different reasons and sorc has a clear advantage in maelstrom arena. Nightblades have a lot of weaknesses, but in end game trial content they shine, and there is nothing wrong with that. I play a sorc and love sorc more than nightblades but you cant go through this game expecting things to always be to your advantage.

It's just something that caught my eye and I wanted to remark on it; what I expect in the game is that my skill will be always to my advantage. When my skill doesn't matter because "wrong" class/race choice excludes participation right from the start, then something's rotten here.
  • getemshauna
    getemshauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    terrasight wrote: »

lol . No way you can cross 45K in magic sorc without someone .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVb74ggycq8

No?

Noone gives a care about 3 mill cheesed parses.
    Founder of Call of the Undaunted
    Youtube Channel