The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What gear and skills are magblades using to always remain invisible and some rotation help.

MooseKnuckles88
MooseKnuckles88
✭✭✭✭
I have a magblade, but I can't seem to cloak longer than 4 secs. I see other magblades that seem to cloak once but are able to run from one side of cyrodiil to other and never be seen.

Also, what skills are you using in your burst. My burst seems to hit like a wet noodle. I'm sure it's a l2p issue for this, but I'd like to have a general idea of what skills to have and the correct order.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi. I find pvp on a magblade really difficult, especially compared to my stamblade, so I'm partly posting here so I can follow the ideas that come up in the thread.

FIrst of all, being able to perma-cloak is the best thing about magblades, you just need to reactivate cloak every few seconds and have enough magicka recovery to sustain that. Use the lich set on your back bar if you are finding it difficult.

I tried Alcasts build https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-nightblade-build-pvp/ but I found it difficult to use the callurians proc effectively - but it was very fun when it worked.

More recently I tried building flat attributes with the necropotence and War maidens sets, but I never found a reliable way to burst from stealth.

My next plan is to try and make a heavy armor magblade, because I die if I can't cloak away.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You need to cloak every 2.9 seconds. If you want to run from one side of Cyro to the other, that means you will be out of combat while you cloak. What you need to know is that your in-combat and out-of-combat magicka regen are not the same thing. Out of combat magicka regen comes from:

Atro mundus
    Food or drink
    Potions
    Arcanist CP
    Light Armor
    Racial passives (Altmer)
    Willow's Path set (not a good set on the whole, I don't recommend it)
    Siphoning Attacks

The only other way to sustain cloak is to have cost reduction, e.g. from:

Light Armor
    Cost reduction jewelry enchants
    Seducer set (not that effective for some reason, I don't recommend it for magblade)
    Racial passives (Breton)

What does NOT work: Armor sets and jewelry enchants that give you magicka recovery. Amber Plasm, Shacklebreaker and so on do NOT raise your out-of-combat magicka recovery. IMO Lich is also a terrible idea. If you were relying on the Lich proc, that could mean you arrive at your combat location with 33% magicka. Very bad.

For comfortable cloak sustain you could run what I run, which is a Breton with 5x light armor, Atro mundus, Ghastly Eye Bowl drink (use all prismatic enchants on gear to get your health up and a few attribute points in health), 2x cost reduction enchants on jewelry (1x spell damage). I also use Siphoning Attacks. This setup is very comfortable in CP without potions. In no CP you should still be able to sustain with Siphoning Attacks while you cloak.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, what skills are you using in your burst. My burst seems to hit like a wet noodle. I'm sure it's a l2p issue for this, but I'd like to have a general idea of what skills to have and the correct order.
    The traditional magblade burst comes from Assassin's Will (Merciless Resolve proc after 5 light attacks). It should typically be combined with a CC, e.g.

CC -> Light Attack -> Assassin's Will

where CC is one of the following:

Soul Tether
    Incap Strike (yes, use Incap in PvP, not Soul Harvest)
    Mass Hysteria
    Flame Reach / Clench
    Concealed Weapon from Cloak

Mass Hysteria has the advantage that it cannot be blocked or dodged, but does no damage itself. Incap is generally the NBs best burst skill, for the many things it does: Up-front damage, CC, Defile, 20% damage bonus for 6 seconds. You have to go ham after the Incap.
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »
    More recently I tried building flat attributes with the necropotence and War maidens sets, but I never found a reliable way to burst from stealth.
    Caluurion lets you play a magblade like a stamblade. It's ideal for ganking, but Alcasts setup is all wrong for that. You need a Caluu weapon on one bar only, and you need the following on that bar:

Shadowy Disguise
    Lotus Fan
    Incap Strike
    Concealed Weapon (Impale or Merciless are also good choices)

When you have ulti, you go Cloak -> Lotus Fan (reliably procs Caluu, if not on cooldown) -> Light Attack -> Incap Strike (Caluu hits at the same time) -> Light Attack -> Concealed / Assassin's Will / Impale spam. Your other possibility is Concealed Weapon, from Stealth, which also procs Caluu. The key ideas are to have the Caluu weapon on one bar only, that the guaranteed crit from Shadowy Disguise reliably procs it, that you are at minimum distance from your target when it does, and that you CC to make it stick. I also recommend using an Infused weapon with an enchant that does immediate damage. For example Shock, Prismatic or Oblivion.

The best defense against Caluu, by the way, is to dodge roll. It is very difficult to make the Concealed stun from cloak work. People move around too much. Sorcs (Lightning Form), Overwhelming Surge and all manner of other things can also pop you out of cloak, before you get close. This makes a Lotus Fan -> Incap combo your best bet, but a seasoned player will instinctively dodge roll a gank, which makes both Incap and Caluu miss. You must also be weary of flappy DKs, since Caluu can be reflected. Caluu is a disadvantage against them. The only mitigation is that this flies somewhat under the radar, so a less knowledgeable DK may stop using wings when you attack them with Concealed.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a magblade, but I can't seem to cloak longer than 4 secs. I see other magblades that seem to cloak once but are able to run from one side of cyrodiil to other and never be seen.

I guess the point to make is... you don't actually have to cloak to be invisible. Vampire nightblades in stealth move at full speed and with full legerdemain you can sustain stealth for a fairly long period of time.

A mix of just stealth (with double take and concealed weapon and swift jewelry) and then switching stealth off and using just cloak will balance you stat usage for a while. Getting low on stamina? switch to using magicka invis (shadowy disguise) and let your stamina regen. Getting low on magicka, switch to only using stealth and let your magicka regen.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I guess the point to make is... you don't actually have to cloak to be invisible. Vampire nightblades in stealth move at full speed and with full legerdemain you can sustain stealth for a fairly long period of time.

A mix of just stealth (with double take and concealed weapon and swift jewelry) and then switching stealth off and using just cloak will balance you stat usage for a while. Getting low on stamina? switch to using magicka invis (shadowy disguise) and let your stamina regen. Getting low on magicka, switch to only using stealth and let your magicka regen.
    That's what stamblades are kind of ... forced into ;).

As a magblade my stamina is too precious and regen too low that I'd touch it. If you can't sustain cloak as a magblade, then the first thing to check is whether you are getting your mag regen from the right sources (see above). In fact, just Atro mundus + drink (Honest Lassie Honey Tea, Cloudrest Clarified Coffe, maybe Ghastly Eye Bowl) + mag potion is actually sufficient to sustain cloak indefinitely, even on a stamblade. Not many people know this or pay attention to it. That said, if you sustain fine for combat (e.g. wearing heavy), and don't want to go that route, then sure, use any combination of the above methods to stealth.

Just take note that crouch is not invisibility. Cloak is invisibility. In cloak, you can run across resources, and the NPC guards will not react to you. You can be right under a player's nose and they may hear you, but they will not see you. Being able to perma-cloak allows you to loiter in places you otherwise wouldn't.
    Edited by fred4 on July 29, 2018 5:29PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Edited by fred4 on July 29, 2018 5:08PM
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a magblade if you want to play a Cloak spam build your burst is going to be low because of all the sustain you need to run to spam cloak. So you kind of have to decide if you want to be very elusive and spam cloak or have enough burst to threaten players. You can go the proc set route but your Max stats will be very low meaning your damage shield will be weak and you would have to get some regen from glyphs meaning all your damage will have to come from procs and you would be squishy. I think it's best to meet somewhere in the middle. Magblade burst is delayed though so you will never be coming out of stealth with huge damage spikes. Unless you build a ganker
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a magblade if you want to play a Cloak spam build your burst is going to be low because of all the sustain you need to run to spam cloak. So you kind of have to decide if you want to be very elusive and spam cloak or have enough burst to threaten players. You can go the proc set route but your Max stats will be very low meaning your damage shield will be weak and you would have to get some regen from glyphs meaning all your damage will have to come from procs and you would be squishy. I think it's best to meet somewhere in the middle. Magblade burst is delayed though so you will never be coming out of stealth with huge damage spikes. Unless you build a ganker
    While I don't disagree with the gist of your post, I think the damage loss from being able to perma-cloak need not be pronounced. At least in CP. You just have to know some stuff that's not widely talked about, certainly not in any YouTube video I've ever seen. If you play the cloak game, and you don't group up, the game will consider you in-and-out-of-combat all the time. You can maximise your cloak sustain by choosing the right sources of magicka sustain. You don't need all that much of it. I prefer to have more, and I also run Swift, so I am personally in the "elusive" bracket you refer to. You don't need to be the same though. At a minium you need:

Atro Mundus
    A food / drink that includes regen, e.g. Ghastly Eye Bowl (preferred) or Witchmother's Potent Brew
    5x Light Armor
    Siphoning Attacks

I haven't tested this, but you should be very close to perma-cloaking, in CP, with that setup. You can throw everything else into damage, no sustain sets, and full spell damage enchants on jewelry.

TL/DR: It matters where you mag sustain comes from.
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don't permacloak.

You become a vampire and flip between regular sneaking and shadowy disguise so that you don't burn through all your stam/mag.
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magblade burst has to be built up is delayed though so you will never be coming out of stealth with huge damage spikes. Unless you build a ganker

Sadly Mageblade has no delayed damage at all. That's why MagNB is weak in bursting compared other builds IMO. Assassins Will is a joke, build up 5 LAs and you able to do the same damage as a snip spam...
    PC EU - DC only
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some really great responses! I appreciate the feedback. I think I understand enough about the cloak at this point.

My magwarden can burst like a truck compared to my magblade, and that's with no ultimate ready. I don't like relying completely on proc sets to carry me through, but if that's what it takes to make my build work I'll conform to it.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »
    You don't permacloak.

You become a vampire and flip between regular sneaking and shadowy disguise so that you don't burn through all your stam/mag.

It's astonishing how people don't bother to read the thread and just regurgitate the conventional wisdom. While there's nothing wrong with your approach, especially as a stamblade, you can do better as a magblade, and you won't run down your resources. See above.
  • pdebie64b16_ESO
    pdebie64b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You only need cloak to escape or for your next attack to get the bonus from sneak attack but not for moving around, the Vamp passives, concealed weapon and legerdermain is for moving around in stealth.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some really great responses! I appreciate the feedback. I think I understand enough about the cloak at this point.

My magwarden can burst like a truck compared to my magblade, and that's with no ultimate ready. I don't like relying completely on proc sets to carry me through, but if that's what it takes to make my build work I'll conform to it.
    I used to play magden when Shalks still CCd. I thought it was underrated, at least in CP open world. Now you also see health builds and ice control builds on YouTube. Might take it up again.

Caluurion is by no means necessary to play magblade successfully. It's just that I haven't played all the different magblade playstyles, of which there are many. Caluu is arguably the best for ganking, as it enables the kind of melee up-front burst playstyle stamblades are famous for. However magblade gankers have also been done with destro heavy attack builds. If you search for Kena's posts, he listed the various archetypes once.

Playing with high cloak uptime generally calls for light armor for the cost reduction. Concealed + Cloak gives you a 25% speed bonus in cloak, which is what drew me to the melee playstyle, but honestly, before Caluu, it wasn't very viable. The problem was always that dual-wield light attacks didn't do enough damage, compared to a stamblade. You could try and compensate with Infused Torug's Pact weapons, but meh. These days, of course, with 2H and staves counting as two slots, we have more options.

In general, a fire staff will give you the best sustained, safest, and easiest to land damage. You are totally screwed against flappy DKs, but other than that it's very good. This is typically played as a destro / resto build. Crippling Grasp gives you a brief root and snare with no cooldown, against which the only immunity is Forward Momentum or Shuffle. Use that to control your enemy and stay at range. Funnel / Swallow Soul is probably still your best bet for a spammable. Crushing Shock interrupts and is non reflectable, whereas Elemental Weapon is cheaper and seems to do 2K more PvE DPS with just about any of my builds, but I prefer Funnel in PvP for the heals. Siphoning Attacks adds more healing and sustain, indirectly allowing for more damage (e.g. from jewelry glyphs, mundus or sets). Your CC will be either Flame Reach / Clench or Mass Hysteria.

Honestly, magblades who master destro staff with Shadow Image, CC, and Assassin's Will tend to be very strong duellers. One of the reasons I don't like that, open world, is the time to build Assassin's Will. If you're going for that type of build, with Flame Reach and Crippling Grasp, Skoria goes well with that. Soul Assault and Zaan are also viable options. In fact, Soul Assault is a pretty easy way to destroy medium armor builds, if you have enough punch behind it. You'll want at least a 65K unbuffed tooltip in CP. I played that initially, but then made a decision to go with Incap, as I find it more versatile.

I played resto / 2H for the longest time. The attraction with that playstyle is combining Forward Momentum and Healing Ward. Add Swift jewelry as well, and you are basically so fast that you can dispense with the shade. One of your main problem of cloaking to safety is roots and snares. Forward Momentum fixes that. Extremely valuable against jabbing templars and Talon-spamming DKs. If you don't have Forward Momentum, you have to be very proactive with Crippling Grasp.

Playing melee is hard though. Whoever designed the speed bonus into Concealed probably thought it was viable to play melee without a gap closer, but it's not really. You waste too much time and mag on cloak. Fine for a gank, but not for duels. This is why I recommend Lotus Fan to land Caluurion, if you're using that.

2H / resto covers you well defensively (except against Mark + Shield Breaker), and gives you some ranged options, but I find the resto staff doesn't do enough damage. I am now playing 2H / destro (fire), and the difference is noticeable.

As a light armor build, I play with shield. I recommend Dampen over Harness. Harness is very nice, but useless in duels against stamina, and burst too easily by stamblades, even with 40K+ mag. I currently only play with 34K mag (Swift jewelry and other compromises), but I have Temporal Guard on the same bar as the shield, which effectively increases it by 8%. I swore I needed Healing Ward, but this also works for me.

Should you wish to play heavy armor, I have no first-hand experience, but believe that Refreshing Path is a staple. Another option is a bomb build. Again, it's a speciality that requires specific sets and skills - probably something like Vicious Death + Spinner + Grothdarr - but I have no experience with it.

A last random comment. I find Double Take useful on stamblade to alternate between sprint and cloak / using stamina and magicka. On magblade, however, I find it fairly useless. Since I have the Concealed speed, sprinting is kind of pointless, and combining it with cloak is far too costly. In terms of defenses, there's just no bar space when you have a shield. I could see it being useful in a heavy armor build, though, especially one without cloak.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You only need cloak to escape or for your next attack to get the bonus from sneak attack but not for moving around, the Vamp passives, concealed weapon and legerdermain is for moving around in stealth.
    I give up.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »

I used to play magden when Shalks still CCd. I thought it was underrated, at least in CP open world. Now you also see health builds and ice control builds on YouTube. Might take it up again.

Caluurion is by no means necessary to play magblade successfully. It's just that I haven't played all the different magblade playstyles, of which there are many. Caluu is arguably the best for ganking, as it enables the kind of melee up-front burst playstyle stamblades are famous for. However magblade gankers have also been done with destro heavy attack builds. If you search for Kena's posts, he listed the various archetypes once.

Playing with high cloak uptime generally calls for light armor for the cost reduction. Concealed + Cloak gives you a 25% speed bonus in cloak, which is what drew me to the melee playstyle, but honestly, before Caluu, it wasn't very viable. The problem was always that dual-wield light attacks didn't do enough damage, compared to a stamblade. You could try and compensate with Infused Torug's Pact weapons, but meh. These days, of course, with 2H and staves counting as two slots, we have more options.

In general, a fire staff will give you the best sustained, safest, and easiest to land damage. You are totally screwed against flappy DKs, but other than that it's very good. This is typically played as a destro / resto build. Crippling Grasp gives you a brief root and snare with no cooldown, against which the only immunity is Forward Momentum or Shuffle. Use that to control your enemy and stay at range. Funnel / Swallow Soul is probably still your best bet for a spammable. Crushing Shock interrupts and is non reflectable, whereas Elemental Weapon is cheaper and seems to do 2K more PvE DPS with just about any of my builds, but I prefer Funnel in PvP for the heals. Siphoning Attacks adds more healing and sustain, indirectly allowing for more damage (e.g. from jewelry glyphs, mundus or sets). Your CC will be either Flame Reach / Clench or Mass Hysteria.

Honestly, magblades who master destro staff with Shadow Image, CC, and Assassin's Will tend to be very strong duellers. One of the reasons I don't like that, open world, is the time to build Assassin's Will. If you're going for that type of build, with Flame Reach and Crippling Grasp, Skoria goes well with that. Soul Assault and Zaan are also viable options. In fact, Soul Assault is a pretty easy way to destroy medium armor builds, if you have enough punch behind it. You'll want at least a 65K unbuffed tooltip in CP. I played that initially, but then made a decision to go with Incap, as I find it more versatile.

I played resto / 2H for the longest time. The attraction with that playstyle is combining Forward Momentum and Healing Ward. Add Swift jewelry as well, and you are basically so fast that you can dispense with the shade. One of your main problem of cloaking to safety is roots and snares. Forward Momentum fixes that. Extremely valuable against jabbing templars and Talon-spamming DKs. If you don't have Forward Momentum, you have to be very proactive with Crippling Grasp.

Playing melee is hard though. Whoever designed the speed bonus into Concealed probably thought it was viable to play melee without a gap closer, but it's not really. You waste too much time and mag on cloak. Fine for a gank, but not for duels. This is why I recommend Lotus Fan to land Caluurion, if you're using that.

2H / resto covers you well defensively (except against Mark + Shield Breaker), and gives you some ranged options, but I find the resto staff doesn't do enough damage. I am now playing 2H / destro (fire), and the difference is noticeable.

As a light armor build, I play with shield. I recommend Dampen over Harness. Harness is very nice, but useless in duels against stamina, and burst too easily by stamblades, even with 40K+ mag. I currently only play with 34K mag (Swift jewelry and other compromises), but I have Temporal Guard on the same bar as the shield, which effectively increases it by 8%. I swore I needed Healing Ward, but this also works for me.

Should you wish to play heavy armor, I have no first-hand experience, but believe that Refreshing Path is a staple. Another option is a bomb build. Again, it's a speciality that requires specific sets and skills - probably something like Vicious Death + Spinner + Grothdarr - but I have no experience with it.

A last random comment. I find Double Take useful on stamblade to alternate between sprint and cloak / using stamina and magicka. On magblade, however, I find it fairly useless. Since I have the Concealed speed, sprinting is kind of pointless, and combining it with cloak is far too costly. In terms of defenses, there's just no bar space when you have a shield. I could see it being useful in a heavy armor build, though, especially one without cloak.

Psst. Love this post, so many good points. I don't even use assassin's will on mageblade unless I know there are people around I cannot possibly burst without it (ie, very skilled magsorcs or stamdens). A properly timed concealed is imo better, faster, and easier to auto-crit. Ik some can't fathom magnb without the bow but oh well. To me it's best used with a destro staff with a destro ability on the bar, but that's all really. TBH I think the spectral bow is a LOT stronger on a stamblade and increases their already sick burst to absurd levels whereas on a mnb my burst is from cheaper ultis and a typically softened target.

As far as perma cloak goes, to me it is barnone the best fight control mechanism in the game. First strike matters big time.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don't permacloak.

It's astonishing how people don't bother to read the thread and just regurgitate the conventional wisdom. While there's nothing wrong with your approach, especially as a stamblade, you can do better as a magblade, and you won't run down your resources. See above.

Listen man, I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but you just made a post about playing magblade with a shield. I'm going to disagree with you as a matter of principle.

I read the thread. I just saw that you were wrong. Permacloack builds sacrifice other strengths. Not worth it.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about...

...I just saw that you were wrong.

Care to make up your mind? ;)

Let me guess. You're using heavy, or you're building with sets like Seducer, Amber Plasm, Transmutation, perhaps Alteration Mastery, and you use Tri-Food to get your health and stamina up? I have a friend, a very strong player, who swears by that approach. He is the kind of guy who agonises over build choices. It's a good build strategy, and if you are invested in it, I'm not saying you must change.

On the other hand, knowing the above, and if you value cloak sustain a lot, you can build as I do. That means Atro mundus, Ghastly Eye Bowl, all Hakeijo enchants to get health and stamina up, and basically Shacklebreaker as your default set choice to get stam to Tri-Food-like levels. If you compare stats by the end of that, I am convinced it's all a bit of a wash, but you get the better cloak sustain. The other set will be a damage set. If you use Ghastly, your health will still only be around 20K without diverting attributes. This is one reason why shields go well with that approach. Without them I'd probably use WItchmother's, but that is a noticeable damage and sustain nerf for my type of build.

I'm not here to push one build philosophy over another, but I think I have provided rational arguments for mine. "I just saw that you were wrong" isn't really helpful to the OP, unless he knows you, and you have his respect already.
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about...

...I just saw that you were wrong.

Care to make up your mind? ;)

Let me guess. You're using heavy, or you're building with sets like Seducer, Amber Plasm, Transmutation, perhaps Alteration Mastery, and you use Tri-Food to get your health and stamina up? I have a friend, a very strong player, who swears by that approach. He is the kind of guy who agonises over build choices. It's a good build strategy, and if you are invested in it, I'm not saying you must change.

You can know exactly what you're talking about and still be wrong, they're not mutually exclusive ;)

But no. I don't use any of the sets you mentioned, actually. Nor do I use tri-food. I favour a more well-rounded, adaptable approach. Didn't even use a proc set until very recently.

I've been doing fine with 21k-ish of health and no shield. Sorcs need it, we don't. I don't need to spam cloak to stay alive, I need it to get out of hairy situations when I screw up.

Obviously I'm being belligerent for comic effect but I think it is valuable to the OP to hear my argument- Magblade is inherently stronger if you get your head out of the mindset that they should be sneaky gankers or pure ranged casters. Don't lean on the cloak too hard because guess what, soon as you get marked you're done for. Don't rely on a shield because guess what, everyone has shield breaker and you're gonna overflow with salt.

As a magblade, you have things that an enemy can't easily counter- Strong self heals, plenty of mobility, great defensive passives, good inherent sustain, and a couple of killer burst combos. Make the most of those.