Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Toxic community?

• Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    Zone chat in the "starter" zones is obnoxious. Seems like it can't go 5 minutes without someone saying something racist or homophobic (or both). But as far as the actual community, I've found that most people are willing to help new players. I joined a guild when I was new to the game and learned some really fundamental character building information that I had never learned before from other players. Other players always seem willing to help with crafting items if needed, or clearing content that requires multiple players.

The forums are where people go to air out their grievances and voice their complaints, so I would say in general, the forums appear to be more toxic than the game itself. And that's walking a line between toxicity and genuine feedback/complaints, and how other users on the forum react to each.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most gamer communities have some type of toxic element to them, but I find ESO to be at the lower end in comparison to others. I've met more helpful polite ESO gamers than the bad.

I know everyone's experience is always going to be different, but I feel most want to help others as long as they are willing to learn. :)
    Edited by Odovacar on July 23, 2018 4:28PM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There will always be toxic players and official game forums will always have a high number of toxic discussions, but I don't consider the community toxic. I don't have any point of comparison as I don't do MMOs or multiplayer FPS games, so I have been able to avoid the underbelly of those genres outside of ESO.

What I consider toxic is mostly tone, though I would add behaviors like not caring about making PUG group suck for everyone else so long as that individual gets to skip queue. It has a lot to do with personality, not just in game actions. I hate it when people leave nodes partly harvested, but I don't consider that toxic because I know how much inventory management sucks. I usually grin and bear it with PUGs with crap DPS in vet dungeons, but I completely understand those who are quick to suggest kicking players who are clearly over-matched and making things suck for a group--particularly when it is a pledge and everyone should enter a vet pledge expecting hard mode. Personally, I don't care for anonymous vote to kicks, but I get it. I hate getting ganked when I'm just doing Jubilee dailies, but I consider that a 100% valid form of game play in Cyrodiil. There is also nothing toxic about 2 people running for the same node since the closest thing to a way to determine whose has a claim to that node is who gets to it first--though someone waiting for me to engage mobs around node before they swoop in is toxic. It reveals the kind of person they are. I also don't really consider it toxic if someone tries to unlock a chest after someone else fails. The first person had their chance. I wouldn't do it because just because of, you know, empathy for other human beings, but I don't consider the other approach unreasonable.

To be fair, when ZOS designed resource nodes to be shared, it made it reasonable for certain people to interpret that as an implicit endorsement of node farming as a competitive activity. Under that interpretation, snatching away nodes would be no more toxic than killing someone in PvP. But I am comfortable assuming a decent portion of people who do that just don't give a crap about other people and their game experience.
  • DedEmbryonicCell19
    DedEmbryonicCell19
    ✭✭✭
    I think every game will have their toxic players, but honestly I've met some really cool people too ..

• menathradiel
    menathradiel
    ✭✭✭✭
    The community has its own defense mechanism which make me think this community isn't better than others community. It surprises me everytime when someone say something bad about this game, then there'll always someone jump out and say "you need to check x game, it's way worse than this game."

I mean, I get it, I have seen players defend the games they love with the same method (attack other games and tryna make this game looks good), but I have never seen a community use the same method again and again so many times like ESO community before. And some of them (tbh I would say lots of them) are being really toxic toward to other mmos for no reasons.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but how is telling you to not compare this game with other games "toxic" in terms of this game's community. I would have no problem with someone telling you to stop such a comparison. If you like that other game so much, go play it. It's not about being "toxic" to other mmos, it's about recognising that this game is not that game, and so the comparison and accompanied whinge is rather pointless. If you like x game so much better, why spend your time here complaining instead of playing the game you obviously prefer?

It's not really "I love another game so you can't judge it at all", it's more like some of players will pop-out and attack other games for no reasons. I've seen such things happened so many times not just on forum, game and some videos. I think my brain can still functional good enough with legit comparions and "Omg that x game sucks" without any further context for "why?".

And again, why be bothered? If some random person walked into my life and started ragging on my hobby, I wouldn't care. I don't know them, they don't know me. Why should I be bothered? A thousand people could tell me ESO is carp, I don't care. Maybe it is, but I'm having fun playing and what would their opinion matter? It only means anything if I allow it to.
    Tank Girl
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tbagging is an epidemic on console. Other than that the community is okay.
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of great people on XBOX1. Guilds generally maintain a high bar for good behavior and this tends to bring out the best, or at least attract the best. So I do most of my socializing through my guilds (both PvE and trading). Yes, there are jerks. PUGs are full of them. I leave rather than deal with that. As a tank, I can often simply say "I can't deal with the toxicity. Either he leaves, or I leave" and the other guy gets kicked 90% of the time.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People are getting offended by literally everything these days. You can't even trashtalk without someone starts whining.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pauli133 wrote: »
    This game has one of the least toxic communities going, full stop. There are rough patches - zone chat in certain areas, for instance - but players are phenomenally helpful, and can routinely be spotted going out of there way to help others.

It's not all a garden party, but I've never seen a game of this size even come close to having a community this pleasant.

It's true that it's really one of the least toxic communities out there.

There are some bad apples, sure. There always are, but overall people that complain about this being a toxic community haven't seen true toxicity.

The only toxic I see is the somewhat common attacks on certain devs with last names starting with W.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on PC and its not to bad but I keep a low profile and don't do endgame stuff I'm like a CP 300 so I haven't had much time on PC to experience bad players maybe.

I mostly play on Xbox NA got 8 max CP characters and the community on console is the absolute worst MMO community I've been apart of
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You serious? You must not PVP too often on PS4. A lot of the players are *** talkers. Watch any of the big name PVPers on PS4 on Youtube and they are huge *** talkers it's ridiculous. One guy even went so far as to say to me "aren't you ugly in real life?". One guy got mad at my boyfriend in Cyrodiil that he messaged me and told me my boyfriend was cheating on me with another girl on Snapchat which my boyfriend doesn't even use that app and doesn't even know how to use it. I use it but he doesn't. Now the guy is telling people in Cyrodiil and youtube that my boyfriend is the only stupid guy to be dating an unloyal girlfriend like me.

Like seriously. This is all from the PVP community. A lot of *** talking D-bags.

Edit: And not to mention the couple in Cyrodiil who were harassed by other players where other players were making inappropriate guild names towards the wife and claimed keeps with the guild so others could see it. They even talk about nudes of girl players and willing to share it with anyone who asks. When my guild masters ex passed away, players were going after him with a lot of stupid and inappropriate things. He doesn't play much anymore.

PVP is worse than the elitists in PVE. By far. Especially PVP players on PS4 NA server. Very few frequent PVPers I respect.
    Edited by Kuramas9tails on July 24, 2018 12:47PM
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • THEDKEXPERIENCE
      THEDKEXPERIENCE
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      You serious? You must not PVP too often on PS4. A lot of the players are *** talkers. Watch any of the big name PVPers on PS4 on Youtube and they are huge *** talkers it's ridiculous. One guy even went so far as to say to me "aren't you ugly in real life?". One guy got mad at my boyfriend in Cyrodiil that he messaged me and told me my boyfriend was cheating on me with another girl on Snapchat which my boyfriend doesn't even use that app and doesn't even know how to use it. I use it but he doesn't. Now the guy is telling people in Cyrodiil and youtube that my boyfriend is the only stupid guy to be dating an unloyal girlfriend like me.

Like seriously. This is all from the PVP community. A lot of *** talking D-bags.

Edit: And not to mention the couple in Cyrodiil who were harassed by other players where other players were making inappropriate guild names towards the wife and claimed keeps with the guild so others could see it. They even talk about nudes of girl players and willing to share it with anyone who asks. When my guild masters ex passed away, players were going after him with a lot of stupid and inappropriate things. He doesn't play much anymore.

PVP is worse than the elitists in PVE. By far. Especially PVP players on PS4 NA server. Very few frequent PVPers I respect.

None of that is acceptable but my I have a sinking feeling that you’re not the easiest person to get along with and likely aren’t totally innocent.

If you run into one jerk during your day then you ran into a jerk. If you are constantly running into jerks all day long then you should probably look in the mirror.
    • Kuramas9tails
      Kuramas9tails
      ✭✭✭✭✭

None of that is acceptable but my I have a sinking feeling that you’re not the easiest person to get along with and likely aren’t totally innocent.

If you run into one jerk during your day then you ran into a jerk. If you are constantly running into jerks all day long then you should probably look in the mirror.
      @THEDKEXPERIENCE Not totally innocent? May I ask how you came to that conclusion? I am very intrigued seeing as you don't know the full situation at hand. Most of the examples I gave are what I witnessed happen to others. Only two were examples that happened to me in a span of 3 years. That is less than one a year,
        Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
        New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
        AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
        AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
        FOR THE QUEEN!
        PS4/NA
      • THEDKEXPERIENCE
        THEDKEXPERIENCE
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭

@THEDKEXPERIENCE Not totally innocent? May I ask how you came to that conclusion? I am very intrigued seeing as you don't know the full situation at hand. Most of the examples I gave are what I witnessed happen to others. Only two were examples that happened to me in a span of 3 years. That is less than one a year,

- “a lot of players are #### talkers”

No more than other games.

- Someone called you ugly for literally no reason? Really? Sure there was no reason? None?
        - Someone decided to take the time to develop a whole snap chat drama story for no reason? None?
        - An isolated incident means that “all the PvP community” are “#### talking d-bags”? Really, everyone?

Hey, maybe I’m wrong and you’re an angel who people have picked on for literally no reason because you won the unlucky lottery. Or ... maybe ... just maybe ... you have a horrible attitude and bring stuff like this upon yourself?

I’ve been playing this game for like 5 years now. The only people this stuff happens to more than once in a blue moon is to people lacking in social skills.
      • CatchMeTrolling
        CatchMeTrolling
        ✭✭✭✭✭

- Someone called you ugly for literally no reason? Really? Sure there was no reason? None?
        - Someone decided to take the time to develop a whole snap chat drama story for no reason? None?
        - An isolated incident means that “all the PvP community” are “#### talking d-bags”? Really, everyone?

Hey, maybe I’m wrong and you’re an angel who people have picked on for literally no reason because you won the unlucky lottery. Or ... maybe ... just maybe ... you have a horrible attitude and bring stuff like this upon yourself?

I’ve been playing this game for like 5 years now. The only people this stuff happens to more than once in a blue moon is to people lacking in social skills.

Lol grade A victim blaming.
      • THEDKEXPERIENCE
        THEDKEXPERIENCE
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭

Not all victims are victims.
      • SugaComa
        SugaComa
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        PS4 EU is super awesome ... Yeah we have the tbagging and your *** comments ... Usually from friends ... I chat regularly to players who have killed me in cyrodil some have even given me tips on how to play better and how to tweak my build ...

One messaged me to tell me I play well but my builds *** I asked how he knew and he said your damage numbers aren't high enough

He respected my CP for me via chat and the next time I saw him inhit him so hard I nearly one shot him ...

To be fair he hadn't buffed up but he was shocked my build was so much better

Players in my own faction are great and my two main guilds are alive with PSN chats all day via phone while at work ...

I've not felt this sense of community in a game since the days of Socom on PS2
      • SugaComa
        SugaComa
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Peekachu99 wrote: »
        Tbagging is an epidemic on console. Other than that the community is okay.

Tbagging is sign of respect man ... You get TBagged you know your doing something right

I don't get TBagged enough ... My builds clearly *** and of no consequence to those I play against ... I feel so insulted at my lack of Tbaggery
      • CatchMeTrolling
        CatchMeTrolling
        ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah but without knowing the situation you can’t speak on it. Instead of ignoring or attempting to understand the persons point of view you decided to say they must be this or that to get such treatment. You basically pulled the “but what was she wearing” card. That’s victim blaming.

Can’t speak on social skills if you lack the intellectual empathy to realize your fault in this scenario.
      • bloodthirstyvampire
        bloodthirstyvampire
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        More like everybody is to easily triggerd, I cursed on the headset and was told to watch my language, I'm 24 not 10, I Can't help it, its practically subconscious.
        Edited by bloodthirstyvampire on July 25, 2018 12:55AM
        Self-proclaimed Vampire Lord, or in this case, Blood Sion. º,...,º
      • degarmo_ESO
        degarmo_ESO
        ✭✭✭
        Bill Burr - "Can we just agree that every ass beating doesn't just fall out of the sky?"
      • Genomic
        Genomic
        ✭✭✭✭✭

Can’t speak on social skills if you lack the intellectual empathy to realize your fault in this scenario.

That's pretty insulting. I'm offended. So now you're the bad guy and I'm the victim. Hope your response is consistent with your stated views.
      • Juju_beans
        Juju_beans
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I find the ESO community of players to be mostly nice.
        I do stay away from the dungeon finder and don't do trials and that is because of my experience with wow.
        The most toxic folks IMO are found in dungeon and trial PUGS so I stay far, far away from that.

I've joined up on the fly in public dungeons, delves and in quest areas and have met lots of friendly players.
        Edited by Juju_beans on July 25, 2018 2:00AM
      • CatchMeTrolling
        CatchMeTrolling
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Genomic wrote: »

That's pretty insulting. I'm offended. So now you're the bad guy and I'm the victim. Hope your response is consistent with your stated views.

I would entertain this but by your reply it would be pointless. Much wow, totally got me.

Edited by CatchMeTrolling on July 25, 2018 2:50AM
      • Lylith
        Lylith
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        More like everybody is to easily triggerd, I cursed on the headset and was told to watch my language, I'm 24 not 10, I Can't help it, its practically subconscious.

one of the reasons i don't use a microphone. :smile:

• Davor
        Davor
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        FakeFox wrote: »
        Show me a gaming community that isn't called toxic. :D
        If you ask me people are just way to thin-skinned these days.

Too many people are too thin skinned or people are just to rude now a days especially when behind a screen anomalously?
        Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
      • Vizier
        Vizier
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I found "ignore" to be the best thing ever...
      • Minyassa
        Minyassa
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭

This whole exchange is another example of why people think the community is toxic. People jumping to conclusions, people ostriching about how crappy people can just randomly be because they either have never encountered it themselves and can't comprehend others having different life experiences, or they just don't WANT to believe that someone could actually randomly go out of their way to attack someone because that messes with their view that the world is live-and-let-live. This is the sort of thing that contributes to the overall impression that most players simply don't care about other people.
      • Lunstagramer

On EU servers, indeed.
      • Walman
        Walman
        ✭✭
        ZOS_RyanM wrote: »
        We have removed some posts in this thread that were hostile and disruptive. Please keep your posts civil and constructive.

There's yur answer!