Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templars are horrible..

• Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your smart, have the right build/rotation and practice, a good templar can put up high 30's single target DPS in a group. Thats good enough to walk through any content. Its not fun nor is it easy. Out of all the classes templars have 1 of the shortest rotations so they use up more magicka to reapply and keep good uptime. Templars unique skills are either useless in pve (eclipse, javelin) or they are weaker channels (sweeps, radiant oppression) or they are just useless (restoring aura)

As DD's most people put up around 20k-30k and thats good enough to get through any content but not competitive enough to be in a end game group. Theres never a group that i play damage dealer in that says, oh thank god we have a templar damage dealer. Shards, reflective light and purifying light are my go to. Depending on the situation i might have any 1 of the 3 (rune focus/solar barrage/radiant oppression). Its safe to say that the ceiling is much lower on a magplar.

As far as healers go templars are best pvp pocket healers bcz of BoL. Purifying ritual is best solo purge in game but efficient purge is better in a group. In pve im not sold as them still being the best but they are great healers simply on the fact that 1 templar can offer an entire group minor sorcery. BoL is usefull when puggin but when everyone has a mic ill run combat prayer for dungeons and healing springs for trials. In trials ill use orbs over shards but in dungeons it just depends on the dungeon and group. In some scenarios i use healing ritual but again just depends on the group/situation.

Templar dont have anything unique for tanking. Crescent shield maybe... rune definerly but thats not unique. The fighters guild tree has a better rune. Repentance/radiant aura lol.

I will on occasion use praticed incarnation as a backbar ultimate in pvp when im with a zerg. I never use aedric spear in any situation and on a few trial bosses i will slot nova. More often than not its DBoS, meteor, or something else.

I feel templars are horrible bcz theres no class theme or cohesion. No real playstyle im aiming for. Ontop of that just about every skill or passive is outdone by other classes comparitive skills/passives and even world skills. At most i slot 4 templar skills but usually im around 3.
    Edited by Drdeath20 on July 20, 2018 1:36PM
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    I feel templars are horrible bcz theres no class theme or cohesion. No real playstyle im aiming for. Ontop of that just about every skill or passive is outdone by other classes comparitive skills/passives and even world skills. At most i slot 4 templar skills but usually im around 3.

This paragraph here in my opinion is the core issues of templar.. They just don't do anything better than anyone else.. Why would you play something that literally is worse than every other class.
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leave it to the PvP trolls to come thoughtlessly dump on a clearly PvE thread. They are only here to be contrarian, like toddlers stubbornly insisting "nuh-uh!" to every adult point being made. The facts about the sorry state of Templars in PvE are indisputable. They are not "powerful" relative to other classes. The PvE DPS gap is huge, and only the Warden falls below us in numbers.

OP never specified that this was a PvE thread. Once they mentioned they were only looking for a PvE build, the posts switched focus. Don't be so surly. It's unbecoming and unnecessary.

That being said, you're right. PvP templars are great, but in PvE, they're quickly becoming a liability for most endgame teams.

PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    p00tx wrote: »
    Leave it to the PvP trolls to come thoughtlessly dump on a clearly PvE thread. They are only here to be contrarian, like toddlers stubbornly insisting "nuh-uh!" to every adult point being made. The facts about the sorry state of Templars in PvE are indisputable. They are not "powerful" relative to other classes. The PvE DPS gap is huge, and only the Warden falls below us in numbers.

OP never specified that this was a PvE thread. Once they mentioned they were only looking for a PvE build, the posts switched focus. Don't be so surly. It's unbecoming and unnecessary.

That being said, you're right. PvP templars are great, but in PvE, they're quickly becoming a liability for most endgame teams.

OP very much did specify its a PVE thread...
  • DarkAedin
    DarkAedin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar is outclassed by every other class. QOL on any other class > templar. Our k
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    p00tx wrote: »

OP very much did specify its a PVE thread...

Doesnt really make a difference, all these pvp nayysayers are lyin out thier ass anyway, the only templars worth thier salt in pvp are healers, theres 4 magplar dps left across NA and most stamplars went nb, a few went warden cuz craz's warden best fit paladin playstyle.

Dont forget, our class president is @JoyDivsion , who spends most of his game time in cyrodiil, wrote the best vma walkthrough out there, and he has plenty negative to say.

As the player who created the first 2 stamplar metas in both pve and pvp in live, i can say we are extremely lackluster now and the second i get on any other class i feel an extreme difference
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DarkAedin wrote: »
    Doesnt really make a difference, all these pvp nayysayers are lyin out thier ass anyway, the only templars worth thier salt in pvp are healers, theres 4 magplar dps left across NA and most stamplars went nb, a few went warden cuz craz's warden best fit paladin playstyle.

I play both a healer and a dps Magplar in pvp. I feel quite capable in both roles. Not lying out my ass either. I do think Magplar dps could use more boost, but I've also witnessed 2 years of forum complaints about how it's the "end of the world" for Templars. And I've also read the same from other classes claiming how their class is over as well. That's just the way people on the forums are. And it always boggles my mind if they think their RL is coming to an end, too.
    Edited by maxjapank on July 21, 2018 8:57AM
  • DarkAedin
    DarkAedin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

I play both a healer and a dps Magplar in pvp. I feel quite capable in both roles. Not lying out my ass either. I do think Magplar dps could use more boost, but I've also witnessed 2 years of forum complaints about how it's the "end of the world" for Templars. And I've also read the same from other classes claiming how their class is over as well. That's just the way people on the forums are. And it always boggles my mind if they think their RL is coming to an end, too.

Our entire templar kit has been trashed and ground up into little pieces spreqd out here and there. We had key passives and abilities stripped from us and replaced with sub-par, mag-only lack luster skills. And have been recieving nerfs for 4 years straight.

Can a skilled player be productive on a templar?
    -No where near as much as that player on any other class. Period.
  • DarkAedin
    DarkAedin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh sht almost forgot. Our bread and butter dmg ability has had targetting issues since day 1, for a while was letting enemies double dip into red cp to defend against it, usually misses players completely, and is easy to strafe out of.

But dont let them come into ur lackluster wroblehouse! They will take all ur sht and then bag ur dead body bc ur still playing the worst class in eso since day 1
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Our entire templar kit has been trashed and ground up into little pieces spreqd out here and there. We had key passives and abilities stripped from us and replaced with sub-par, mag-only lack luster skills. And have been recieving nerfs for 4 years straight.

Ahh...I see. You're also one of those "Templars are the worst. cry cry " forum people. And that's a reminder for me to quit posting in Templar forums. It's so unproductive. "sub-par!" "Lack-luster!" "nerf after nerf after nerf!" whine whine.

If you want something, ask for it. Be specific and quit the crying. Keep it simple. Or....play another class.
  • DarkAedin
    DarkAedin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahh...I see. You're also one of those "Templars are the worst. cry cry " forum people. And that's a reminder for me to quit posting in Templar forums. It's so unproductive. "sub-par!" "Lack-luster!" "nerf after nerf after nerf!" whine whine.

If you want something, ask for it. Be specific and quit the crying. Keep it simple. Or....play another class.

No, im one of those end game theorycrafters who fully understand what zos did to the class i call my main. I have literally spewed fact after fact while u are hyperboling, sorry bae, our class is underpeeforming in every aspect of the game
  • DarkAedin
    DarkAedin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-From beta to live, 1st sustain nerf. Was enough to drop magplar to 4th place in dps.

-stamplar dps bottom of the barrel since day 1

-Was bis as healer/tank for dungeons untill zos killed that.

-actually not as good as a healer as a sorc once the inception of orbs, then buff to matriarch.

-templar dps bottom of the barrel since day 1 early release, dk out tanks, but shards and ritual are needed, so templars become pigeon held into healer position. Which is then nerfed into the ground when wardens came out.

Literally 4 years of starting out as the bottom of the barrel with nerfs after nerfs. Have u even played another class? The difference is staggering.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Templars have:
    • the worst mobility (no Major Expedition, Minor Expedition locked behind expensive heal, and self-snaring channels)
    • the worst CC options (no unblockable stun, no root, non-CC abilities that stupidly give the target CC immunity)
    • the worst resource sustain (getting worse if the Rune Focus change makes it out of the PTS)
    • the worst ultimates (our options are so bad that Magplars slot Dawnbreaker)
    • the second-worst DPS (second only to the Warden, who has none of the above problems)

And the one thing we're supposed to be good at, healing, is a constant target for senseless nerfs:
    • We no longer have class access to Major Mending.
    • Breath of Life secondary heal has been trashed. Sorc Twilight is now a better group burst heal.
    • Healing Ritual cost is borderline malicious for such a pathetically short range.
    • Repentance is worthless in boss fights and selfish in group content.
    • Cleansing Ritual cost was increased for PvP reasons with no damage/healing buff to compensate PvE players.

It's crystal clear to anyone with two spare neurons to rub together that the combat dev team has an extreme bias against the Templar. Worst of all, this is all very easy to fix and much of it could be done in only a few hours of work from a competent developer armed with a simple action plan:
    • Radial Sweep: +25% buff to the DOT component (and resist the urge to nerf us with a cost increase)
    • Radiant Ward: make this morph scale with Max Magicka and grant Major Expedition
    • Balanced Warrior: change this to 2/4% more damage done and less damage taken
    • Sun Fire: add 1 second to the base duration, change the buff from Major Prophecy to Minor Force
    • Breath of Life: make it hit self + 2 allies, healing all targets for 66% of the amount that Honor the Dead gives
    • Cleansing Ritual: increase the damage and healing values by 15%
    • Sacred Ground: Add Major Sorcery to the effects of the passive

The changes above would add approximately 3-6k DPS to a typical Magplar (depending on skill setup), gently bumping them closer to other classes. It would also let us get our buffs without potions, so we could choose to use different potions (like every other class already gets to do).

There are some other much-needed fixes, but they would legitimately take a bit more time (unlike those above, which could be completed in an afternoon):
    • Aurora Javelin: pull instead of knockback
    • Spear Shards: consolidate both current morphs into one for DPS and healers. On the other, replace the DOT with an AOE root
    • Burning Light: change to a per-target cooldown, double the cooldown duration to compensate
    • Hasty Prayer: make this morph an AOE HOT aura instead of a burst and reduce the cost. Keep the speed buff
    • Repentance: go back to giving all allies the stamina

Given all that you typed I actually the passives are the bigger problem. Many of the passives should be rolled into the actives and real passives should be put in their place.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or....play another class.

I did...
  • DarkAedin
    DarkAedin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I did...

Didnt notice any difference with class passives? Didnt notice how ur no longer pigeonheld into gear sets?
    Lol
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I did...

Didnt notice any difference with class passives? Didnt notice how ur no longer pigeonheld into gear sets?
    Lol

From my experience Ive rarely felt pigeonheld from wearing what i want. On healers, stuff like healers habit is obviously a poor choice for a templars.

As far as passives go i have a hard time deciding on weather my nightblade or sorc have the best passives. Passively my templar is left behind.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I did...

Lol

I noticed i wasn't dying to everything.. and i noticed i can pass content when i changed classes..
  • webrgesner
    webrgesner
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have two Templars i'm attempting to level up.. And honestly its just a horrible class, the skills are weak and pointless the defense at low levels is horrendous.. I try for hours to play these things and just die everytime to things my nightblades, wardens and Sorcerers murder in seconds...

What gives seriously why are templars so horrible to level up and does anyone have a low level build that works as good dps.. (not healer, or tank)

My magplar is lv 29

Mt stamplar is lv 31..

Its like watching grass grow to level these weak things.. maybe i should delete these things..

I LOVE MY STAMPLAR! It my PvP and he is so beast! I always score high in BG and i often 1vx in cyrodiil. Its a tanky class with great heals. and you also gotta love the clense and repentance. BEST CLASS EVER! You just gotta learn how to play them. Ive been playing eso since 2016 and i have learned hot to Pve Stamblade, PvP Stamplar, and PvP Magsorc. Even though i have other classes that are maxed out im mainly focused on learning and getting to know my class better with my stamplar. Its my favorite
  • webrgesner
    webrgesner
    ✭✭✭✭

-From beta to live, 1st sustain nerf. Was enough to drop magplar to 4th place in dps.

-actually not as good as a healer as a sorc once the inception of orbs, then buff to matriarch.

-templar dps bottom of the barrel since day 1 early release, dk out tanks, but shards and ritual are needed, so templars become pigeon held into healer position. Which is then nerfed into the ground when wardens came out.

Literally 4 years of starting out as the bottom of the barrel with nerfs after nerfs. Have u even played another class? The difference is staggering.

Youre wrong. I main PvE Stamblade and maxed out 46k dps and i saw my friends clip he used a stamplar and maxed out 48k dps.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    webrgesner wrote: »

Youre wrong. I main PvE Stamblade and maxed out 46k dps and i saw my friends clip he used a stamplar and maxed out 48k dps.

Can i ask, how many actual templar skills does your Stamplar use?
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars have:
    • the worst mobility (no Major Expedition, Minor Expedition locked behind expensive heal, and self-snaring channels)
    • the worst CC options (no unblockable stun, no root, non-CC abilities that stupidly give the target CC immunity)
    • the worst resource sustain (getting worse if the Rune Focus change makes it out of the PTS)
    • the worst ultimates (our options are so bad that Magplars slot Dawnbreaker)
    • the second-worst DPS (second only to the Warden, who has none of the above problems)

Afaik wardens dont have cc ability, and worse ultimate than templars ( thats for sure).
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hakan wrote: »
    Afaik wardens dont have cc ability, and worse ultimate than templars ( thats for sure).

Wardens have an AOE root, Gripping Shards, for their PvE tanks and for PvP use. Templars have a pathetic, reflectable single target stun.

Warden Ultimates are generally better than Templar options. The Warden heal does not root the caster. One morph returns nearly a quarter of its cost and the other extends the duration. Ulti builds can pop trees with few gaps between them. The bear is a unique and interesting ultimate choice unlike anything in the game, deals pretty good damage, and enables the Warden to run Necropotence (magicka) or Hunt Leader (stamina) sets - powerful sets the Templar has no access to. Sleet Storm beats Nova. It's better damage, moves with the caster, gives equivalent damage mitigation, and offers either 8% Max Magicka or an AOE stun. I'd trade ultimates with the Warden any day of the week.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on July 23, 2018 10:21AM
  • coplannb16_ESO
    coplannb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks anyway to all i've made a dragon knight instead good luck with templars.. I'll try them again when and if Zos ever decides the hate for them is over..

lol

#1 nice bait thread (6 star dude with lv 20ish/30ish chars? orly?)

but anyway, the salt is epic here. I laughed hard at at the statement that templars have the worst mobility. Dks do along with having the lowest range, the crappiest passives and the most expensive skills. at least you got a reliable gap closer that is not an Ultimate.

obviously in comparison to both Sorcs and NBs the other classes are just fluff. wardens and templars have their niche for healing and DKs can tank, but for competetive DPS and raid spots NBs are king, sorcerers close behind. In PvP too...
    Edited by coplannb16_ESO on July 23, 2018 12:34PM
    max level: mDK, stamBlade, stamSorc, magPlar, mDen, stamDen, magBlade, stamCro
    ESO+
    # of mules: 4 (FULL)
    maxed bank: FULL -_-
    Stop the grind! Get rid of stupid events and daily-quest gallore. Get rid of "have a chance of 1 in a million to get a piece of 1 in 30 to get a stupid motif or pet... wtf..."
    And at this point just remove all classes and have everyone choose their set of skills. then balance accordingly to skills always used vs. skills never used.
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I laughed hard at at the statement that templars have the worst mobility. Dks do along with having the lowest range, the crappiest passives and the most expensive skills. at least you got a reliable gap closer that is not an Ultimate.

DK gets Major Expedition from chains, and can choose a gap closer morph (which is not an ultimate, I might add). Where does Templar get Major Expedition from, again? We don't. And our gap closer is faaaaar from reliable, sending us shooting off into the abyss under the map, throwing us into random load screens, or not working at all when some minor bump on the ground breaks line of sight. And unlike DK chains, ours has a minimum range so we can only use it from some distance away. The ability is rarely, if ever, slotted by any serious Templar.

Tell you what, though: if you want it so bad, I'll trade you. Empowering Chains for Focused Charge. We'll see who's laughing once you realize that you had it better all along.
    Edited by Gnortranermara on July 23, 2018 2:07PM
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    webrgesner wrote: »

Link
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uhm..well...I’ve never been in a vet group where anyone said “wish we had a Sorc healer” or “wish we had a nightblade healer” or “wish we had a DK healer”

When it comes to DD...well Sorc and nightblade have been preferable for awhile now....but there was a time. A long time ago. They were both terrible.

I have a lot of fun playing templar. Like the warden. It might not be the best at anything, but it’s easy, fun and enjoyable.

I think it hard to judge anything really before max level, geared appropriately and a little L2P. They’re all slightly different.