Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Pictures with all the rare dyes + comparison

kind_hero
kind_hero
✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a complete picture list with all the RARE dyes currently in the game, including a selection of uncommon ones that are hard to get. My main char was patient enough to pose for a screenshot of each dye :)

I made this post to help players who might be after a certain dye, but don't know exactly how it looks, or if it is worth the effort, because as you will see, many dyes are very similar.

I know this is not perfect, nor it can be, because how dyes look depends a lot on the costume/outfit.

So I picked "Drifting Sand" Tunic and Sash because of simplicity. It does not change the hue much, does not make the colors to dull or shiny, and has parts with different level of shine. The thin sash is the most shiny part of this costume, and it has the same shine like a metal pieces of armor. I used an outfit station placed inside, with an Alinor lantern nearby, to have a neutral to warm lightsource, for "shiny" colors. Screenshots were taken during game night time, so other lighting condition won't affect the setup (I don't know exactly to what degree the outfit station resets lighting, but wanted to be on the safe side). In the begining I wanted to post only material crops instead of showing my char, but I think it is better to see the whole costume in order to properly evaluate the dye.

Rare dyes:

Abyssal Beryl
oh5jwm.jpg

Adamantine Silver
r0wphv.jpg

Aetherial Blue
15oigyv.jpg

Akatosh Scales Gold
rw1ao5.jpg

Arcane Blue
2jbsfhy.jpg

Atmoran Bronze
9zt1jo.jpg

Aurora Green
20frux4.jpg

Ayleid Gold
33e04ex.jpg

Bedlam Purple
517wk1.jpg

Blademaster's Mauve
r1et8p.jpg

Bloodroot Wine
hupxck.jpg

Celestial Violet
2rhkxza.jpg

Coldhabour Black
rm0121.jpg

Colossus Brass
micvfl.jpg

Contraband Violet
155o110.jpg

Covenant Blue
11lpohs.jpg

Cyrodiilic Steel
23wsklj.jpg

Daedric Red
29yqi6e.jpg

Divine Gold
nyy4aw.jpg

Dominion Yellow
ace7ua.jpg

Dragonstar Red
32zo1a9.jpg

Dwarven Brass
10ndi8h.jpg

Enteloma Blue
2jepc0p.jpg

Epic Violet
qx9smu.jpg

General's Gold
33w5s1i.jpg

Grand Overlord's Brass
2zomeqx.jpg

Grand Warlord's Violet
2zgs1lw.jpg

Indomitable Violet
2gsq3iu.jpg

Julianos White
5z486q.jpg

Lamae White
kcdusz.jpg

Legate's Black
34rhq4w.jpg

Liar's Linen
2d8i8fp.jpg

Lycanthrope Grey
13z7uy9.jpg

Magnus Setting Red
2uzp9g9.jpg

Motif Master Brown
2hi8opz.jpg

Mundus Blue
11kee5f.jpg

Nacreous Purple
m8fjvk.jpg

Necromancer Blue
qwxcvm.jpg

Nirncrux Red
6qwbjl.jpg

Nirnroot Gray
vza8o1.jpg

Ophidian Jade
5b1yyp.jpg

Orhicalc Green
2lau1pw.jpg

Overlord's Purple
imnnlh.jpg

Pact Blood Red
2afeq8o.jpg

Palatine's White
spj0a9.jpg

Putrid Flesh Teal
15s21qa.jpg

Ruby Throne Red
153p63n.jpg

Scalecourt Brown
34rydn6.jpg

Sigil Orange
2h6zfw9.jpg

Slaughterfish Pink
2qi7bma.jpg

Stalhrim Chrome (Wolfhunter DLC)
2cxck8i.jpg

Superior Blue
2zz2e5c.jpg

Syffim Red
33f9vk8.jpg

Transliminal Violet
2zyfrc5.jpg

Undaunted Bronze
2qsx91u.jpg

Vekh's Mystic Blue
11uduyr.jpg

Viridian Venom
35dcnqb.jpg

Voidstone Violet
258z31y.jpg

Warlord's Red
2wg63y9.jpg

Warrior's Steel
wt965v.jpg

Uncommon "rare" dyes:

Antique Silver
jjnqr7.jpg

Covenant Fisher Blue
o8vx8h.jpg

Dominion Fisher Yellow
314qlpz.jpg

Pact Fisher Red
2j11tf7.jpg

Regicide Red
8vuf7q.jpg

Shrike Blue (Summerset completionist)
ztc95l.jpg

Stendarr White
npf6yu.jpg

Polished Steel
20f838z.jpg

From my experience, the most desired basic colors in this type of game are white, black, and metallic colors to dye weapons, armors, and other outfit elements. Shiny brass-gold is quite desired. Some of these are hard to get, other not so difficult. One big surprise is the Rank 5 material black, which is quite good for a very easy to obtain dye (deconstructing mats). Other very hard to get dyes are a let down, but you be the judge of that. From my experience, Liar's linen is great for silver lining, or steel-like weapons and metals, and Transliminal Violet the best for gold insertions.
Julianos White remains the brightest best white, but Palatine's White is also great (Julianos has a slight blue tint, Palatine's has a warm pink tint).

Below is a comparison chart for these dyes. I might update it with crops taken from a shield or armor for metallic colors.
2n1stgn.jpg

I hope you will find this useful, and if you have ideas how to make this better, please comment below.
[PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great resource. Bookmarked.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish there was preview option in outfit station for locked dyes, so you could know if farming achievement for that dye is worth it
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one deserves an AWESOME....TY...
  • Revi_Nightfire
    Revi_Nightfire
    ✭✭✭
    Boooooooooookmaaaaarrrrkeeed <3
    Revi Nightfire | Imperial Nightblade | Daggerfall Covenant | PC NA
    Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. Feel free to add me if you have questions. @Revi_Nightfire
    Need a Friend? Best Friend? Dungeon Partner? Farming Buddy? Geeker Outer? Add me :]

#Loremaster #Elderscrollsfanatic #Sweetrolls 

• sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that might make it better would be if you could also list the pre-req's for all the dyes....
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe OP should get an achievement for the most spoilers in one post. :)

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Love it! I do think a picture of Aetherial Blue on a metallic costume would show the blue-purple hues it has on certain things.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do the Aedra's work
    PC/EU - PVE 2H stam orc petsorc (meta, what meta?) ww - terrible dps - mediocre player - fun times - free ww bites to whomever asks so don't be shy if interested
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    amazing thread thank you!!!!!!

does anyone have a picture of what 'beast collector violet' looks like? I feel like it's obnoxious to get because of the RNG
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sevomd69 wrote: »
    The only thing that might make it better would be if you could also list the pre-req's for all the dyes....

Thanks for the suggestion. I might do that in the future, but this information is easy to find (even in game if you check each dye), while a preview of all these dyes is not.
    Love it! I do think a picture of Aetherial Blue on a metallic costume would show the blue-purple hues it has on certain things.

Here it is on a heavy glass armor fully dyed with Aetherial Blue:
    72ymnr.jpg

If you look carefully, you will see the sash in the previous picture has the same shine as the metal parts on this armor.

(The glass armor is quite shiny, so any dye looks well on it. I did not want to make some dyes look better than they are, so I picked a more neutral outfit, a compromise if you wish)
    Edited by kind_hero on July 22, 2018 2:05PM
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amazing thread thank you!!!!!!

does anyone have a picture of what 'beast collector violet' looks like? I feel like it's obnoxious to get because of the RNG

Tamriel Beast Collector
    wrgz76.jpg

It is quite similar with Epic Violet and Material Rank 9
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can preview locked dyes on the pts with a template character
  • Cloudless
    Cloudless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I'm gonna bookmark this so hard. Thank you. <3
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    I wish there was preview option in outfit station for locked dyes, so you could know if farming achievement for that dye is worth it
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    You can preview locked dyes on the pts with a template character

All dyes were unlocked during this PTS cycle. If you have PTS or can get PTS be sure to use it ... like @kind_hero graciously did.
  • Shazanti
    Shazanti
    ✭✭✭
    WOW. My first bookmarked post! Your name is quite apropos, @kind_hero! <3 Thank you so much, this is an excellent resource. Now to look up how to actually get some of these.
  • Galen
    Galen
    ✭✭✭
    A thousand thanks for this! I know some friends of mine will really appreciate this, as well.

(I think one of them might be pleased that, instead of Slaughterfish Pink, Pact Fisher Red may be more of what they are looking for. Much less work to find out if it is or not, at least.)
    PC - 2013-2016
    Xbox One - 2017-2021
    Xbox Series X - 2021-present
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oooo I like this. Bookmarking it.
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An unfortunate thing about dyes is that even with as much info as you have shown, there is other factors to think about when it comes to dye. Some come natural as say different materials it is placed on, but also what most people don't realize but each item for the slot it uses might interact with the dye a bit different, and then there is the lighting of what is around can bend the coloration a bit. There is also the angle of which you look at an item. Almost all rare dyes are color changing dyes. A prime example and easy one to get is "BLADE MASTER MAUVE" which can change between a series of colors such as: Pink, blue'ish purple, purple, etc.

Point being is that it is better to have a video showcasing different times, the materials of said dyes that can be influenced as well atmosphere interfering with the dyes. That would likely be a lot of hours just to showcase dyes.

Also from what I can remember different materials that can be influenced can be chainmail sorts, plate, leather like, cloth, richy sort of cloth, skulls, animal parts, pelts, etc. It leaves room for a lot of different interactions. So remember this... and request a preview option that way you can test dyes you might not have ^V^
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • WoodenHeart
    WoodenHeart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @kind_hero ... this is a really nice resource!

For anyone trying to unlock a certain color, the "Dye Station Achievement Links" add-on lets you see the achievement for any dye at an outfit station.
  • Pixel_Zealot
    Pixel_Zealot
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome!

We should also create a thread to indicate how the different dyes look on different outfit pieces.
    Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome!

We should also create a thread to indicate how the different dyes look on different outfit pieces.

That would be interesting and also quite useful. However it is time consuming as it is... 60+ rare and very hard to get dyes. The problem is to identify the ideal outfit to display these dyes. Some materials shift the colors quite a lot. One example is the Transliminal Violet color which on some pieces is displayed as a amazing gold, but on others, the shiny gold is suppressed and you get only the violet. My approach was to find a costume that shows the colors as much as they are. For this I took in consideration Julianos White as a calibration. It has to be white, not bluish white, like it shows on some other costumes. Transliminal Violet had to have both violet and gold shine, Legate black some shine, Aetherial Blue some pink shine, and so on. So I did some tests before starting this guide. But keep in mind that the way we see colors is subjective, each individual has his/her own way of seeing them, so it is almost impossible to find an ideal setting.

@Armatesz

As you can see below, the costume shows a lot of the color variation. It is quite hard to find a sweet spot, like explained above.

Blademaster's Mauve
    r1et8p.jpg

Thanks all for the wonderful feedback!
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is amazing. Thank you for doing this!
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »
    That's awesome!

That would be interesting and also quite useful. However it is time consuming as it is... 60+ rare and very hard to get dyes. The problem is to identify the ideal outfit to display these dyes. Some materials shift the colors quite a lot. One example is the Transliminal Violet color which on some pieces is displayed as a amazing gold, but on others, the shiny gold is suppressed and you get only the violet. My approach was to find a costume that shows the colors as much as they are. For this I took in consideration Julianos White as a calibration. It has to be white, not bluish white, like it shows on some other costumes. Transliminal Violet had to have both violet and gold shine, Legate black some shine, Aetherial Blue some pink shine, and so on. So I did some tests before starting this guide. But keep in mind that the way we see colors is subjective, each individual has his/her own way of seeing them, so it is almost impossible to find an ideal setting.

@Armatesz

As you can see below, the costume shows a lot of the color variation. It is quite hard to find a sweet spot, like explained above.

Blademaster's Mauve
    r1et8p.jpg

Thanks all for the wonderful feedback!

Oh I noticed but I also stated that there is far more variations on how they interact. None of what you showed are videos to showcase angles of what they look like. There is a lot more to it than you or I could list.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have taken these with a costume that mixed different material types and starts with a lighter color to not wash out these colors or artificially darken them.
    For example, Transliminal Violet looks more gold on other costumes with hints of purple and here you haev it so brown and purple. Ayleid Gold also looks too brown versus what it looks like on lighter pieces.

I recommend the Cyrod Gentry's Town Gown costume for this purpose since it has both metallic parts and cloth, or the Elven Hero costume which has cloth and leather and metal.
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have taken these with a costume that mixed different material types and starts with a lighter color to not wash out these colors or artificially darken them.
    For example, Transliminal Violet looks more gold on other costumes with hints of purple and here you haev it so brown and purple. Ayleid Gold also looks too brown versus what it looks like on lighter pieces.

I recommend the Cyrod Gentry's Town Gown costume for this purpose since it has both metallic parts and cloth, or the Elven Hero costume which has cloth and leather and metal.

You can log into PTS and post that here, it will be helpful not only to you but to everyone who is following this thread :)
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can log into PTS and post that here, it will be helpful not only to you but to everyone who is following this thread :)

I don't have those dyes for one and don't have a hosting service or the data speed to do so. I have crap internet.
    I didn't know all dyes were unlocked on PTS. I was pretty sure I only had the ones I had access to, and pvp ranks that were necessary for the skill unlocks.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cyrod Gentry's Town Gown was on my wish list, but as you might guess, I did this on the current PTS, where all the dyes are unlocked, but the older costumes are not available. None of the costumes you mentioned were available. But on the other hand, lets say I had such a costume. The trans-violet would have looked optimal, as you say, but then when applied to an other costume or outfit, it would look underwhelming. I have this dye on live, it is maybe the best, I know what you mean. Ayleid Gold is almost identical to the Dwarven Brass (just a tiny bit shinier). That's why I made a comparison at the end of the post. You need a very shiny material for this color to look remotely close to "gold". The Drifting Sand costume has a very shiny sash, it is very similar with how metal would look, but I know it is small compared to the size of the costume...
  • Craziux
    Craziux
    ✭✭✭
    @kind_hero , thank you for posting this! It's nice to see that someone is showcasing these dyes since there's no dye preview in the game yet. I also wanted to link this video I just posted of the Black and White dyes:

https://youtu.be/gOreE-uvakg

Hope this can help new and experienced players with different Black and White dyes in motion to get an better idea of how they look! ^^

(Missing a few PvP dyes since I find little interest in that. I believe in Peace. (Exept from those 1000 players that need to dye for the red battlegrounds color. (I'm not sorry.)))
    [Outfits] Hide More Armor Slots?
    Cast your vote and make it happen!

,<* 1200+ CP EU/PC *>,
    ,<* Explorer of Tamriel since Beta *>,
    Hours spent in-game: 7500+ #NoLife
    AD:
    Valp - Sorc DD
    Valp Stud - DK Tank
    Bad Argonian - Temp Heal

DC:
    Shu-Chi - PvP Warden

EP:
    Craziux - PvP NB
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    update:

here are two more dyes:

Apricot Outrage (Blackrose Prison)
    5nrjti.jpg

New Wrathstone dye (PTS)
    987l6v.jpg
    This one is rather shiny and has many hues from orange to light blue, depending on the material and light. On the thin sash, which is the shiniest, you can see it is blue-purple, on the wide sash it is yellowish

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could hand out one awesome per dye/picture.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -