Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is the Psyjic grind worth doing?

inthecoconut
inthecoconut
✭✭✭✭
I'm behind the loop. I was still finishing the Morrowind and Clockwork story so I avoided anything related to Summerset, so I apologize if this has been talked to death already. So far I've been enjoying summerset, and I was pretty eager to learn more about the psyjic order. I was so determined to keep things spoiler-free that I never even read what the abilities did until I was finally accepted into the guild. And now that I am in and I've learned what is required to level up, all I can say is that I am disappointed. I'm not even talking about the skills themselves, I'm just talking about the method of going to these rifts and closing them. I am disappointed because it is going to pull me out of Summerset to do something that I have 0 interest in doing. I assumed it would be like the mage or fighters guild, where I could just collect or kill mundane things along the way as I still enjoyed exploring Summerset. But that doesn't seem to be the case at all. I'm torn because I was so intrigued and excited to unlock and experiment with these new abilities, but now I have absolutely no interest in doing it. I'm struggling with the thought of maybe sucking it up and doing it at least once for one of my characters, but I'm having trouble deciding which character these abilities would fit best with since I know myself, and there is no way I will be doing this a second time.

So, just wondering if anyone has completed the grind. Is it as bad as I think it is going to be? Are the skills fun and worth collecting? And do you have any suggestions on which class they synergise well with?

Is the Psyjic grind worth doing? 143 votes

Yes, the skills are worth it and/or the grind isn't that bad
60%
Nestorvailjohn_ESOBelegnoleBigBraggdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOotis67PlagueSDYulsjedtb16_ESOthomas1970b16_ESOValen_ByteTriumviriYukon2112s7732425ub17_ESOThestephenmcraeub17_ESOstarkerealmramasurinenpreub18_ESOpinkempyrealWolfenbellefeyii 87 votes
No, the grind isn't worth it
26%
thesilverball_ESOZardayneagabahmeatshieldb14_ESOAnimus-ESOLonePirateKnootewootLoralai_907bellatrixedGuppetVostornsix2fallmb10BeardimusFischblutIntegral1900SheenazPixel_Zealotred_emuYamiKurukuAlienatedGoat 38 votes
Other
12%
PhilhypeUlosrfrogg23AlnilamEabigfishyTheShadowScoutmeekeyceeSygil05Kiralyn2000KyuremBlackEvilAutoTechktdotexeGimpyPorcupineDuskMarineWoppaBoemAnonomissXSylvermynxPaddyVu 18 votes
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they go well with a healer. The grind isnt that bad imo. Some unique skills and can be fun.

Edit: I did chose my main to do the quest on as I am a lot like you in the way that I knew I would not want to do it a second time. One of the skills has found a permanent place on my bar. So thats something lol.
    Edited by Valen_Byte on July 11, 2018 4:42PM
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The skills are worth it if you PVP or something fits well with your PVE build.

If you farm for materials, its absolutely worth it for the rewards you can get from the Psijic Portals in some of the enchanting runes spawn nodes.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion:

Its a videogame. I play for fun.

I went thru psijic side story line, because i wanted to see it, and i enjoyed it. I didnt pick of the skills, cause i dont need them on that char. I will do the quests on all of my toons, cause well i enjoyed it, and found it hilarious at times, augurs good company.

If it feels like a boring grind to u. Stay the hell away from it. Cause its a videogame, its supposed to be fun. If u dont enjoy a certain part of the game, dont do it.

Sidenote: If u go to the required zones and walk to the portals w/o using wayshrines, u might find a lot of psijic portals.
  • Inhuman003
    Inhuman003
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    definitely, if you are a meta tank Psyjic is worth the grind.
  • inthecoconut
    inthecoconut
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valen_Byte wrote: »
    I think they go well with a healer. The grind isnt that bad imo. Some unique skills and can be fun.

Edit: I did chose my main to do the quest on as I am a lot like you in the way that I knew I would not want to do it a second time. One of the skills has found a permanent place on my bar. So thats something lol.

I generally tank or heal, so I'm glad to hear its useful for healing! I'll have to look into that possibility.
    The skills are worth it if you PVP or something fits well with your PVE build.

If you farm for materials, its absolutely worth it for the rewards you can get from the Psijic Portals in some of the enchanting runes spawn nodes.

I didn't know about that. I literally just finished the first part of closing rifts in Summerset so its possible I gave up on it too soon. I do craft sets frequently so the extra mats would at least make it feel a bit more worth it. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elemental Weapon is the BiS spammable for every magicka class except DK. Channeled Acceleration is a 36 sec ranged application of minor force, the first of its kind. Time stop and Undo ulti are found everywhere in PVP. The psijic order skill line is packed with powerful goodies.

The quest line is actually pretty fun the first time around because of a certain hilarious disembodied companion. After the first time it's a grind, but you'll have learned to do it so efficiently by then that it'll hardly matter.
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they go well with a healer.

I'm sorry to say, but no decent groups have their healers running psijic healing skills. They're just not that good.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's got a couple nice skills and passives.

It's not worth going into marathon mode and knocking out on 15 characters in sequence, though.

It's one of those things that you finish when you finish. That's about all.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PC the Map Pins addon makes the grindy part easy. Even without it, the grind is not as bad as TG or DB. I had heard about the PO grind before i did it and was dreading it, but while I was doing, I was wondering what all the fuss was about.

Now, is this something you should do on every character? Probably not. But after you get the skills and play around with them, you will know who can use them and who cant
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm sorry to say, but no decent groups have their healers running psijic healing skills. They're just not that good.

Well thanks for letting me know, I was under the impression that there was more than one way to play this game, mah bad.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think it was a crazy grind like many did. I farmed the whole way through and got lots of mats and treasure chests.

The second time I was grouped with a partner and it went very quick. Find the general area, go different directions and one person will get the quest area almost right away. We also made it a world boss tour. We would head straight to the bosses in some zones and the auger just shows up on the way.

TLDR: Find a way to make the traveling fun and the word "grind" doesn't apply so much.
  • inthecoconut
    inthecoconut
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses. After having read your input, I'm feeling much more optimistic and realize I just need to change how I approach it!
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The skills are powerful, but it's def not worth it for every class/spec. I am up to 4 of my toons. I have at least 2 more I plan to do at some point. Map Pins on PC really shortens the time if you are going for the power grind. The first time through, the quest dialogue is moderately entertaining. After that, I recommend binging something on netflix.

Undo and the morph Temporal Guard is an interesting Ult for PVP. It can totally screw you if cast at the wrong time, but its kite potential and oh crap button potential are strong. Temporal Guard is worth slotting just for the passive damage reduction.

Time Stop is borderline annoying in PVP, but it can be very good for keep defense or really any choke point.

Imbue Weapon is the most obvious skill that most people grind for. It is a great spam skill if your class is missing one. It's BIS on mageblade, Ranged Templar (which is quite effective this patch), and certainly a few others. I have seen this used with great effect in both PVE and PVP.

Accelerate is a great source of minor force for magic players. Stam will prob stick to trap unless they want to stay ranged, but the skill has good utility for sure.

I wont say much on mend wounds, just havent played with it. I dont see end game healers running it in PVE, but that doesnt mean its not useful.

Mediate (deep thoughts) is wonderful for sustain. You see it a lot in non CP battlegrounds, and I could certainly see it being useful in places like VMA in between rounds for newer players.

The passives are also really nice. Things like a shield when blocking or major protection when casting are very strong in certain situations..

• Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did it for my main, no way in heck I’m I doing it for the rest... it’s just a bit meh, but it does at least slow you to get rid of those aweful fighters guild skills
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I enjoyed the scavenger hunt. I don't particularly care for the skills.

I'm working through alts at the moment as time permits.
    The Moot Councillor
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    worth it just for see the unseen.

completed on 2, 4 more in process.

oh, and meditate is the coolest animation in the game.

what grind?
    Edited by jedtb16_ESO on July 11, 2018 5:39PM
  • sekekama21554
    sekekama21554
    ✭✭✭
    Omg, I gotta use wayshrines to do the quest!!!!!111 this is such a grind. My life is over!!!
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leveling the skills takes longer than the quest track. Definitely worth it for imbue weapon and the passive of Temporal Guard (8% less damage taken while slotted). I'm also using Deep Thoughts to recover resources in fights where there are waves. The damage shield while blocking is pretty decent as well as the passive that grants major protection while channeling a psijic skill (meditate, mend wounds).
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Do the first round, to unlock Psijic Portals.
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the memories with your good buddy the augur!
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• DuskMarine
    DuskMarine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    the grind is and is not worth it at all. some abilities are good some are complete and utter garbage. so its like pick your poison
  • Sygil05
    Sygil05
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I think the skills are interesting, and, in some cases useful, but the quest line to get the skills is really boring and repetitive. I think this is one of those cases where they really phoned it in when coming up with a good way to level the skill line, which basically amounts to traveling to a zone, either closing a rift or getting a part, traveling back to Artaeum, and then repeating the process. Over and over.

These don't take very long to do, aren't difficult at all, but I did not have fun with this particular aspect of the game at all.
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, I decided I wanted the tattoo. I looked into how it worked and it took me a day on the weekend. The abilities are more worth it than the other stuff, but I definitely think it was worth the time.
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well thanks for letting me know, I was under the impression that there was more than one way to play this game, mah bad.

OP specifically asked if the psijic order skills are worth the grind. In the case of the psijic healing skill, the general consensus is that it's not good. OP did not ask "does a healing skill exist in the psijic order skill line".
  • inthecoconut
    inthecoconut
    ✭✭✭✭
    Omg, I gotta use wayshrines to do the quest!!!!!111 this is such a grind. My life is over!!!

Haha yes, that wasn't too far from my initial reaction sadly. I don't have any wayshrines on my Summerset character - started fresh out of the tutorial like a newborn babe. So I'm not exactly looking forward to rehashing old areas that I've already gone through and experienced on the rest of my characters, numerous times already. Not that I plan on doing any of that content again, it's just going to be a lot of running. So I'll probably wait until I get maxed out speed on my mount before I revisit the psyjic quest line.

I was more so looking forward to, you know, actually playing in Summerset and experiencing something new. I didn't anticipate that the quest was going to involve me so deeply outside of Summerset. But it was my own fault for having that expectation, and I just having to adjust them. The comments in here have been informative, and I am again looking forward to getting the abilities themselves, and learning more about the story of the Psyjic guild, and that excitement will help get me through the grind. I'll just wait until my mount is faster, or as someone else suggested, do it with a friend and split it up to go faster.
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sygil05 wrote: »
    I think the skills are interesting, and, in some cases useful, but the quest line to get the skills is really boring and repetitive. I think this is one of those cases where they really phoned it in when coming up with a good way to level the skill line, which basically amounts to traveling to a zone, either closing a rift or getting a part, traveling back to Artaeum, and then repeating the process. Over and over.

These don't take very long to do, aren't difficult at all, but I did not have fun with this particular aspect of the game at all.

At least is not "go grab 3000 books" spread all over the damn place. I only have mage's guild maxed on one character (he's completed Caldwell's Gold) so he's actually been everywhere. I can't fathom doing that on another character. For the Psijic line, it only takes 2 hours to unlock everything.
  • Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. If you want extra skills to mess around with then do it. You can perform in PvE or PvP 100% as well without it. Nothing is needed or even really helps that much.
  • Pink_Violinz
    Pink_Violinz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just do what you need and no more. It'll be miserable if you decide to go to level 10 on every character.
  • Faffox
    Faffox
    Yes, I'm using one of the active abilities and it's really nice. Plus, passives are great too.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    If the skills are 'worth' the effort depends entirely upon your character build, and your personal opinion about the definitoiopn of "worth".

However, Psijic -isn't- really much of an effort compared to, say, thieves guild or DB... you follow the maps, you seal the breaches, you get a guild level. Now and then you have a "follow the things to the buried treasure" quest, and one "stop the misuse of the artifact" end fight. Easy. Really.

I for one am gonna get most of my "caster" type characters into the Psijic order, just for the fun of it (except my blood made vampire alt... she just would not fit in...)