The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

A word (or several) on Grand Psijic Villa and Housing Designs in general...

TonyRockaroni
TonyRockaroni
✭✭✭✭✭
After taking a look at Grand Psijic Villa, I've come to realize three things; I really like this home, but it has its flaws, and these flaws give me something I just want to say about housing in general that hopefully gets improved upon in the future.

Two major issues I find with many homes in-game are the exterior not matching the interior and poor design choices. This comes into play with the entire upper half of Grand Psijic Villa and the placement of the two suites it comes with.

I feel like they could have added a door on each of the two 2nd floor balconies leading up to the top of each of the villa's two towers. Or perhaps the suites could have been on the second floor rather than in the back. It could just be that the suites are actually on the upper half, with the doors to them leading to stairwells that we just never see? This seems likely because we have access to the entire lower floor, and they can't be in the back because there's nothing but rock on the outside and the suites have windows (although these windows are nowhere to be seen on the outside anywhere, but at least the second floor has unused windows of SOME kind, hence the suites more likely being/belonging on the second floor).

But again, this would make much more sense had the doors to them been placed on the second floor rather than the first. It's like the person who placed those doors is the same person who placed that awkward door to the balcony in Hakkvild's High Hall. It makes a LOT more sense for the doors to the suites to be on the second floor, not the first.

Also, I don't know why, but with manor homes, Zenimax seems to have them be in one of two categories; either a manor home with an interior that isn't big enough that doesn't match the exterior, or a home with a LOT of space that's too difficult to deign with a furnishing item limit of 350 (or 700 for ESO Plus members). Although I'm mainly talking about the former at the moment (nice the latter is a different topic entirely). From a design-perspective, knowing that these areas exist from an exterior perspective and that they aren't completely accessible is a bit disappointing.

Overall, I do actually like the house, despite my criticisms. I do plan on getting it because, despite the design issues, it's still a great house. I do love how spacious it is regardless of room placement, and the exterior is practically flawless and absolutely beautiful. My criticisms are mainly for ESO's homes in general, not just this one in particular. And a lot of you will probably view this as very detailed nitpicking. But for me, I just want a little more attention to detail overall with homes. I still love Grand Psijic Villa overall despite everything I said. The issues aren't extreme or anything, I simply lengthened them out in greater detail.

...so you can imagine how long this post would be if I was strictly talking about Hakkvild's High Hall. XD

If you read all this, what are your thoughts on Grand Psijic Villa's design? And what home(s) do you have design issues with?
Edited by TonyRockaroni on July 10, 2018 5:18PM
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main issue is that I like "cluttered" interiors, but they're impossible to create with the current limitations. And it makes me angry that new crown store houses become bigger and bigger.
    I've seen some nicely furnished islands and redguards palaces, but they still look like they would be so much better if the limit was at least 1400 instead of 700.
    I would probably buy a 2xsmaller and 2xcheaper house, but those gargantuan ones.. Nope.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Silverwulfess
    Limits need to be raised for sure for these bigger houses. Can imagine a gorgeous design but the limitations will make it seem half done
  • Tiller
    Tiller
    Might just be engine rendering limitations or to keep the game from melting potato computers or destroying the frame rate on more powerful rigs, the tested constraints are what works best for now.
  • Freddycruz89
    Freddycruz89
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to decorate the Villa! It looks amazing! I feel like at some point ZOS WILL take a look at Item Slot Caps. They may very well be doing so now and just have not announced it. It seems a recurring theme on almost all housing threads on here and the shared opinion of every in game house owner I know.

I did manage to decorate the Princely Dawnlight Palace to my liking, but had to sacrifice the two upper suites and a large portion of the entrance wall top in order to add some detail among all the empty space. I can only imagine what the Villa will be like since, just from watching the video, it seems significantly larger than the Palace.

I have seen some threads about why it is an issue to increase the item slot cap, but I am not convinced. To me, and (I may be very wrong) it sounds like it's a problem that can be solved by throwing money at it, and if that is the case, what are you waiting for ZOS?! Please take my money. You're selling us short with all these amazing houses we can barely get to decorate due to them Item Slot Caps.

Also, will anything be done about only being able to travel to player's primary residences instead of any owned residence with travel permissions. It is very discouraging to have to put away an expensive house one spends so much time, effort and coin/crown decorating, only to have to put it away when a new home is purchased. Instead of "Visit Primary Residence" why not change it to "View Available Residences" which takes you to a menu of all the houses that player owns and has allowed visiting permissions to, allowing you to travel to any of their homes in the list.

One last thing. Can you please implement some sort of system to make houses a place people want to gather in. Maybe table top games that can be played with others? Or designation of houses as "Guild Houses", letting you earn Prestige Vouchers for visiting a "Guild House" a certain amount of days in a row, or winning some of the aforementioned games? Adding chores to the house like, mopping, sweeping, gardening, or any valuable task that earns you Guild Prestige Vouchers you can use to buy furnishings, special blueprints and crafting materials? That sort of thing.

I love housing, despite it's unexploited potential (I get that progress is a gradual endeavor so I will patiently wait!), but right now there is nothing that makes players want to hang around a house other than seeing how it is decorated, coordinated RP instances, or randomly using the services one can purchase and provide.
    Octavius Maximus, Founder of The Maester' Order
    PS4 NA. Role Player. Housing Fanatic. Part Time Achievement Hunter.
    | Princely Dawnlight Palace |
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main issue is that I like "cluttered" interiors, but they're impossible to create with the current limitations. And it makes me angry that new crown store houses become bigger and bigger.
    I've seen some nicely furnished islands and redguards palaces, but they still look like they would be so much better if the limit was at least 1400 instead of 700.
    I would probably buy a 2xsmaller and 2xcheaper house, but those gargantuan ones.. Nope.

I think they need to make bigger items for you to use in these houses.

For example, one wall or platform could be 2x longer than a wall made for smaller houses. So your getting more for each furnishing placed.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The Keep of Hakkvild has potential but needs to be reworked. I feel like I'm entering a reverse tardis on that thing.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Aralan_B
    Aralan_B
    ✭✭
    Since we will be getting the Grand Psijic Villa for free now (at least some of us), I showed my wife one of the tour videos of the furnished home. She didn't like it because she felt that the interior was too sparsely decorated. Yes, we need 1400 slots.
  • Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no official statement from any of the devs stating that furnishing limit is being taken on a serious note when designing big houses, so you dont have to bother of discussing that on forums
    PC EU