The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

No fall damage bug

BohnT
BohnT
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
if you jump down a cliff and hold 'S' you won't take any fall damage
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that was a cliff and not a steep slope you were sliding down?
    I don't consider that a bug if you are sliding as that slows your speed to non-lethal/non-damaging levels.

Does it work when you jump completely into open air?
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Note * : I remapped the <S> key for forward movement, and the <W> key to retreat (weapon drawn) or to turn around and move in the opposite direction. So I assume that the OP uses the default AWSD keybind assignments.
    BohnT wrote: »
    if you jump down a cliff and hold 'S' you won't take any fall damage
    In TESO, a character can fall further and suffer less damage upon landing than in any other game that I've played. Frankly, I have never pressed <W>* while my character, whether mounted, is falling.

Maybe it is because I hold <S>* down while the character falls. More likely, I release it after the jump becomes a fall. Also, most jumps are initiated by holding the <Spacebar> down while the character also moves forward, usually with Autorun enabled and sometimes while Sprinting (<Shift> is held down).

In other situations, the character is mounted and moving with Autorun enabled, often with <Shift> held down for the mount to Sprint. The mount and rider automagically jump when moving forward off a cliff, then fall. Whether the character survives (without being dismounted upon impact) depends upon how far they fall, but, in my experience, apparently it must be a considerable distance before the rider loses enough Health to die.

Edited by Shadowshire on June 2, 2018 4:57AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are you sure that was a cliff and not a steep slope you were sliding down?
    I don't consider that a bug if you are sliding as that slows your speed to non-lethal/non-damaging levels.

Does it work when you jump completely into open air?

It works when you jump down the cliffs in wrothgar.
    You jump down hold 'backwards (s for most players)' and then you will begin to Fall slower and don't take any damage at all
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is this considered an exploit that will get you banned?
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »

It's a bug, probably even an exploit but it has too less of an effect to the game to be a bannable offence
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can confirm this bug. It should probably be fixed sooner than later. PvPers can exploit it in Cyrodiil.

@ZOS
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol, thanks for the PSA @BohnT! I was already convinced there must be an exploit/bug that prevented fall damage - I've seen it many times in Ald Carac and Arcane University where a nearly dead player would jump off a ledge and not take any damage.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    On what grounds can using a feature of the game software be considered an "exploit" which gives ZOS an excuse to ban a player from the game? Doing that would be irrational nonsense. Has that become the norm yet?

The ZOS development team is responsible for what the software can or cannot do, and for what the players can or cannot do with the software. We did not design it, we did not implement it, we only run their software on our computers. ZOS/Bethesda provides the host software running on their "megaserver" network. When the game software does not behave as it should, ZOS chooses whether to ignore the behavior or to to change it.

Edited by Shadowshire on June 3, 2018 1:03AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On what grounds can using a feature of the game software be considered an "exploit" which gives ZOS an excuse to ban a player from the game? Doing that would be irrational nonsense. Has that become the norm yet?

The ZOS development team is responsible for what the software can or cannot do, and for what the players can or cannot do with the software. We did not design it, we did not implement it, we only run their software on our computers. ZOS/Bethesda provides the host software running on their "megaserver" network. When the game software does not behave as it should, ZOS chooses whether to ignore the behavior or to to change it.

They've banned people for flipping keeps in Cyrodiil back and forth during the double AP event. This is when one team flipped a keep, left it for another team to flip it back, then the first time came back to flip it, rinse and repeat. They've also banned people who found ways to kill trial bosses from a safe area. What the players did was not intended to be allowed by the game designers, even though the game technically did in fact allow it.

This fall exploit allows someone to take less/no falling damage and fall from great heights by taking advantage of a bug, so it can be considered an exploit just as much as people flipping keeps back and forth (which is not even a bug).
  • tonemd
    tonemd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why o Why did anyone report this.