The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do status effects inflate DPS parses?

Thorstienn
Thorstienn
✭✭✭
I've been looking at various options for spammables, testing on dummy, and the effect of status effects in solo vs group play came to mind.
So, say I use elemental weapon: it applies chilled, burning and concussed, so my target deals less damage, takes more damage from fire and can be set off balance/take more damage, vs spammable that does flat damage!
In a group however, I potentially have a tank (maim), DK (burning), Healer/sorc (concussed).
So my question: how do these status effects "stack" in group play and does it inflate our personal DPS against spammable that don't apply all these status effects?

Best Answer

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The status effects like burning can only be applied once just like buffs. What i dont know is if you can be burning, concussed and stunned at the same time.

As for multiple players, there is no gurantee your going to apply a status effect on any given attack so the more attacks the better. Also, would there be an alternative attack that does not apply status effects that would give more base damage?

The other thing to think about is how are you going coordinate all this in a trials boss fight? I dont know about you but its hard enough tosee some bosses much less see what effects are applied to them. Then there is Boss Immunity which applies to just about any CC effect you can apply, those may also cover status effects. And for players, CC Immunity may protect from status effects.

Finally, while this might be something you can pull off on a dummy, how well will it apply to a real fight where you spend as much time avoiding damage as applying it.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically, any effect that is not the same stacks. In other word Minor Maim and Major Maim stack, but not two Major Maims. So it all depends on how many different effects the group is putting out.

Really tight trials groups will.make sure each member is wearing different gear. For example with two healers, both should not be using SPC.

• Thorstienn
    Thorstienn
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Basically, any effect that is not the same stacks. In other word Minor Maim and Major Maim stack, but not two Major Maims. So it all depends on how many different effects the group is putting out.

Really tight trials groups will.make sure each member is wearing different gear. For example with two healers, both should not be using SPC.

Thanks for attempting to answer. However, understand the major/minor buff/debuff system, it's the status effect system I'm not sure about; particularly how it applies in group vs solo applications.
    For example, is there any benefit in multiple players applying the burning status effect? If not, does that mean things like Force pulse or Ele weapon are less effective in group play than they may appear in solo?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And as a nod to your original question, Target Dummies inflate DPS over any actual combat simply because you can just stand there and use a perfect rotation. You dont have to avoid or mitigate any incoming damage.

• Thorstienn
    Thorstienn
    ✭✭✭
    @Nestor
    Thanks. Seems it ultimately comes down to uptime/group composition etc.
    Main point was whether they stacked, and you answered that.
    I was thinking about it due to jabs and Dive, as they cause good damage but don't apply any status effects, thus no off-balance uptime from shock staffattacks, or bonus to fire damage from firestaff attacks and abilities.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best you can do in a group is coordinate gear, so only one is wearing say Ebon or SPC etc. Also I have had raid leaders make sure certain members have certain skills that help, like making sure at least one crushing shock for ranged interupts. Or someone has Purge, and then there is making sure Warhorn is always up. In fact Aggresive Warhorn is a perfect example of a predictible group buff.

So group coordination of skills, gear and builds will help a group do better DPS and Heal and Tank.