The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Something most people don't realize you can do in eso... block fall damage

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hes using the new Psijic passive damage shield, is it that?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh it works alright! I just jumped off that cliff in alik'r desert by one of the dolmens that usually kills me and took zero damage while holding block and pressing downward on L3. Upon my second leap I didn't hold block and still took zero damage. Does not work while mounted though.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a sneaky feeling I'm just gonna splat when I go to test this
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Klixen
    Klixen
    ✭✭✭
    This is wonderful! Why would it be an exploit?

I've been hunting skyshards and lorebooks, so this trick might just keep me sane.

Please don't 'fix' it! What possible harm does it do?
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is why we can't have nice things...
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Passed the information along including all subsections of the issue.
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    If you land on some objects like trees or rocks you will have no fall damage as you are not landing on the ground, but this is not always consistent. I knew about the block to mitigate, but not eliminate the damage. I dont know why the shield you cast would have helped, I tested that a long time ago and it did not help. I never tried both a shield and block.

Have tried this in Orsinium or some of the places in Auridon?
    Never tried it for the jumping challenge in orsinium. Reason why the shield is because it is very bright, others could see what I was doing and try it as well. Seeing that one moment where I recorded taking no did surprise me. I've never experienced such a large fall taking no damage. I'm thinking I experienced this after an update but others say this has existed before, so I am unsure on this though. Natural instincts for me when I am about to make a mistake and fly off a cliff to try to brace the fall and block and move against the cliffs edge has resulted in me taking reduced fall damage. Not to mention the hearing the same ping sound you get from successfully blocking an attack. I have not heard it since either last update or the summerset release. Not sure when I tested it last. Majority of the times a fall is sudden and can surprise you. I honestly think that psijic ultimate is more useful in that regards.But if what I am searching for is below, I am more than likely looking for the long route more so to explore the area and find some cool nuggets around.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Hes using the new Psijic passive damage shield, is it that?

Psijic passive damage shield may or may not be a contributing factor into this sudden no damage, haven't tried without it for that great of a fall.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blocking and shielding certainly doesn’t mitigate fall damage at all. It’s just that sometimes even invisible edges stop your fall and so it looks like you could mitigate it.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    Blocking and shielding certainly doesn’t mitigate fall damage at all. It’s just that sometimes even invisible edges stop your fall and so it looks like you could mitigate it.

I guess you didn't watch the video, did you?
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armatesz wrote: »

I did. And I noticed the strange jerk your character makes mid-jump. Looks more like an anomaly in that specific spot.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were truly "blocking the damage" wouldn't your stamina decrease upon impact?

I think it's something more in depth than just blocking.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Klixen wrote: »

I've been hunting skyshards and lorebooks, so this trick might just keep me sane.

Pvper's (some) are concerned that they will miss out on a kill because someone they were about to kill jumps off of a keep wall or just somewhere high and lives when they normally would die is my guess.
    Edited by Sevn on June 22, 2018 1:25PM
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about blocking fall DMG, but I know you can stop it another way.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »

Pvper's (some) are concerned that they will miss out on a kill because someone they were about to kill jumps off of a keep wall or just somewhere high and lives when they normally would die is my guess.

FYI there isn’t a spot in Cyrodiil where you could avoid fall damage simply by blocking or casting a damage shield. At least I haven’t found one in 4 years.
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    this is an exploit and should be put in the bug report section. It is pretty easy to replicate and should be reported in the ingame menu

No, ZoS finally put some physics into the game!

*Creates a bubble around self*
    *Jumps off cliff*
    *Lands in water, buoyancy saves life*
  • dmar613
    dmar613
    ✭✭✭
    dmar613 wrote: »
    I'll tell you how, hold block and hold down on the left joystick for consoles. yw

4th Grand Overlord For DC Xbox One. 123,486 pvp kills Crip from the Sexy Time Slayers aka Leaps of Dreamz
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh...just jump...hold your direction backwards.... equals a soft landing...only need to hold block if you have incoming attacks as you drop slower been around for awhile now...though with game way it is...they’ll prob invest more time into “fixing” this than any of the other Real issues
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reported this ingame 2 weeks ago, so I guess we might see a fix for decemberpatch if we are lucky.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not how you do the exploit / bug

But there is a mechanic for it in game. I don’t want to talk about it though because everyone will do it.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this an exploit? I learned that in ICP at the last boss IIRC.
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting to discover. I tried it off of Frostbreak Ridge to get a good test. In some instances I seem to float gently down, others it's a harder landing but no damage. It seems to depend on the direction I face when I make the jump (I tried backwards jumping off the cliff then blocking).

I also tried running off, block+back, but while I did survive, I took damage. I also didn't appear to actually be blocking on that jump (despite having the keys pressed). So it's possible to mess up the execution but still partially pull it off.

There seems to be a bit of fiddling with it that can be done, but done right it does seem to slow falling velocity. That is likely not intended, but fun to play with! I'm not sure if it's technically exploitable, since I can't recall any areas where that would be any different than dropping to your death and reviving on the spot. If there's a place you're not supposed to be otherwise, you'll get instantly killed by environmental damage -- that can't be negated.

I would honestly chalk it up with things like the Moonwalk glitch. Not intended, sometimes fun, and likely harmless.

Now I'm going to go jump off a cliff a few more times, because for some reason doing so with a Psijic shield makes me feel like Glinda the Good Witch of the North. :D Until I get bored of that.

Addendum: Just to be clear, you are not blocking fall damage when you do this. You are reducing your falling velocity when executed correctly. This can be anywhere from a soft gentle float to the ground (when done perfectly) to a slower but still rough landing (when execution is off). Looks like a bug somewhere in the physics engine itself, meaning that may be a mess for the developers to fix. Unless there is a huge exploit, and since it has apparently been in the game for quite some time, it's likely not going to see prioritization.

Also, it doesn't actually eliminate fall damage if you panic and forget it exists when you fall off of something... so if you don't slow your velocity in time, you might still die if you tumble off that cliff. :D

Edited by Eiagra on June 22, 2018 4:00PM
          In verity.
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armatesz wrote: »

I did. And I noticed the strange jerk your character makes mid-jump. Looks more like an anomaly in that specific spot.

Nope...if done right you can mitigate all fall damage...no matter where you are...its been a thing for a while...
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must admit, this is all kinda weird. I'm scratching my head if it is blocking or a glitch. As for the stamina drain or not I've seen it varies. In this instance no drain which is another odd thing I will add. I'm not sure what to make of this all honestly.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2688452-Terence-McKenna-Quote-We-are-caught-inside-a-mystery-veiled-in-an.jpg
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »

FYI there isn’t a spot in Cyrodiil where you could avoid fall damage simply by blocking or casting a damage shield. At least I haven’t found one in 4 years.

Not sure where in my post I said anything of the sort? You CAN avoid all fall damage by holding down on the l3 stick is what I posted. Didn't test it in cyro yet but I will as soon as I'm able. Can't see why it would not work the same in cyro.
    -Hemingway
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eiagra wrote: »
    Interesting to discover. I tried it off of Frostbreak Ridge to get a good test. In some instances I seem to float gently down, others it's a harder landing but no damage. It seems to depend on the direction I face when I make the jump (I tried backwards jumping off the cliff then blocking).

I also tried running off, block+back, but while I did survive, I took damage. I also didn't appear to actually be blocking on that jump (despite having the keys pressed). So it's possible to mess up the execution but still partially pull it off.

There seems to be a bit of fiddling with it that can be done, but done right it does seem to slow falling velocity. That is likely not intended, but fun to play with! I'm not sure if it's technically exploitable, since I can't recall any areas where that would be any different than dropping to your death and reviving on the spot. If there's a place you're not supposed to be otherwise, you'll get instantly killed by environmental damage -- that can't be negated.

I would honestly chalk it up with things like the Moonwalk glitch. Not intended, sometimes fun, and likely harmless.

Now I'm going to go jump off a cliff a few more times, because for some reason doing so with a Psijic shield makes me feel like Glinda the Good Witch of the North. :D Until I get bored of that.

Addendum: Just to be clear, you are not blocking fall damage when you do this. You are reducing your falling velocity when executed correctly. This can be anywhere from a soft gentle float to the ground (when done perfectly) to a slower but still rough landing (when execution is off). Looks like a bug somewhere in the physics engine itself, meaning that may be a mess for the developers to fix. Unless there is a huge exploit, and since it has apparently been in the game for quite some time, it's likely not going to see prioritization.

Also, it doesn't actually eliminate fall damage if you panic and forget it exists when you fall off of something... so if you don't slow your velocity in time, you might still die if you tumble off that cliff. :D

The only place it would matter is in cyro where many of us jump off a keep wall or tower trying to escape certain death from another player. If another player has damaged you they will get credit for your death when you land, hence the uproar and urgent need to find a fix for it by some players is my bet.

Can't lose out on those deaths, kdr is everything! (Yes I know there is no kdr stat.)
    Edited by Sevn on June 22, 2018 6:21PM
    -Hemingway
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We need some more cheese for all the rats around here.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sigh

Yes there's also the bug/glitch/exploit whatever where if you roll dodge off an edge then hold back on the left thumbstick on Console your descent will be slowed and you won't take fall damage on landing, no matter how high you fall. My Guild Master called it a "Mary Poppins". We all thought it was neat and very convenient.

And in no way do I know how this can be used as an advantage in PvP, nor do I intend to find a way to use it as such. Which is why I don't believe this should be considered an urgently patched thing. In City of Ash 1 where you have to jump down from the right hand Boss I can finally not worry about taking huge damage or dying.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi6Nnx_J_mM

you guys have almost figured it out but youre not quite 100% there yet.
    Edited by Thogard on June 23, 2018 3:04PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp