Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ice mage warden pvp build

teladoy
teladoy
✭✭✭✭✭
Is there any competitive pvp/ battleground build for a an ice mage warden? I'm would like to do something similar as my DK but with ice. Maybe sacrificing some damage for more utility.
Edited by teladoy on June 19, 2018 4:33AM
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You found yourself a wrong game if you wanted to play ice mage. MWarden is really in a poor state atm and playing ice mage spec in itself will bring it down more unless you like your placed AoE procs from Winterborn or so.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe one day they’ll rework the damn ice staff. I too would like an ice centric mage.
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is really so bad?

i mean with my magicka DK i destroy, but i was thinking that i would not mind to sacrifice some damage for try something new/ different, that maybe it compensates the lack of damage with something else of utility.

But if that is not even also the case, then i don't know... :-/ is a little bit sad... really is so bad? no competitive builds at all?
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some, already shared on this forum. It just got harder this patch cuz no CC. I'd say ice mage is still the most viable magwarden BG spec.
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice builds aren't totally dead, don't let there people fool you. Is it not s s good as flame staff? Yeah, but you can still play ad get so kills. I totally recommend getting winterborn though I run a build using it with asylums ice staff in my magblade. On group play it's great, zone control, and snares for days plus chilled effect gives minor maim
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still very much possible, either as a Heavy Armored, High HP MagDen with plenty support skills or a Light Armored Ranged MagDen
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    Ice builds aren't totally dead, don't let there people fool you. Is it not s s good as flame staff? Yeah, but you can still play ad get so kills. I totally recommend getting winterborn though I run a build using it with asylums ice staff in my magblade. On group play it's great, zone control, and snares for days plus chilled effect gives minor maim

I was looking this set and seems pretty nice. What other set can you suggest me to combine? Lich set?
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm absolutely loving my MagWarden in the BGs at the moment. Not the highest damage build by any means but so much group utility and support. It's a force multiplier as someone said. If your group happens to have 1 or 2 good players that know how to play with a support build you become sooo potent. Survivability is excellent if you learn to not faceplant into premade groups. And AoE damage is very good too.

- Light armor, 5L-1M-1H.
    - 5 x Wiz Riposte on both bars (necklace , shoes, legs, gloves and waist)
    - 5 x Durok on back bar (2x Arachnoid rings, chest and a decisive Resto)
    - 2 x Pirate Skeleton (1L, 1M)
    - 1 x Infused Master's Ice staff

...also
    - All armor traits Impen, or alternatively 2 Infused on chest and legs.
    - Tri-stat glyphs on big pieces. Magicka glyphs on the small pieces.
    - Mag Regen on all jewellery, preferrably one infused
    - Tri-stat food
    - Vampirism

My bars look like this:
    wGobyal.png

Your Frost Wall and Frost Reach snare and root people to [snip]. Even outside of your Northern Storm ult. They are caught in a snowstorm while being Maimed and Defiled and wasting resources trying to get out.

With Northern Storm and Pirate Skeleton you have extremely high up-time on Major Protection and 100% up-time on minor Protection through Ice Fortress. I can tell you how many times you will drop to 15-20% HP and you just can't die because the combination of Minor Maim, Major/Minor Protection and Undeath (vamp passive) means you take practically no damage.

Meanwhile you pack quite a bit of punch in unblockable AoE damage and enchant procs while your sustain is pretty good, especially if you are Argonian. I'll try to post a vid later if I can

EU | PC | AD
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    teladoy wrote: »
    Is really so bad?

i mean with my magicka DK i destroy, but i was thinking that i would not mind to sacrifice some damage for try something new/ different, that maybe it compensates the lack of damage with something else of utility.

But if that is not even also the case, then i don't know... :-/ is a little bit sad... really is so bad? no competitive builds at all?

It is not competitive unfortunately. You can have fun playing 'annoy your enemy' game but you will find yourself mostly dead because ice mage spec is very much weak compared to just regular mWarden builds. Ice lacks damage. If you want to really play that ice mage, you are better off going Healthden really.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice-focused Warden=tank focused Warden, sadly. You can stack max health and magic recovery to get the most out of your Winter's Embrace skills, but for the most part you're just a debuff tank.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is really so bad?

It is not competitive unfortunately. You can have fun playing 'annoy your enemy' game but you will find yourself mostly dead because ice mage spec is very much weak compared to just regular mWarden builds. Ice lacks damage. If you want to really play that ice mage, you are better off going Healthden really.

"Annoy your enemy" ice build actually works really good on an Argonian Templar because you can stand your ground and keep the heals coming.

I just couldn't get the same playstyle to work on my MagDen.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ice-focused Warden=tank focused Warden, sadly. You can stack max health and magic recovery to get the most out of your Winter's Embrace skills, but for the most part you're just a debuff tank.

You guys are being waaay over dramatic. You don't have to play HP tank to have damage with an Ice build. You can be light armor magicka build with quite a bit of damage too. What you lack as MagDen is burst to close kills. Hence you need to be in a group that can do that for you. But you'll put out a lot of damage that's for sure.

I don't think I've had a Deathmatch on my MagDen where I put less than 350k-400k damage. And if the game is drawn out I can clock up to 1.1-12m damage, no problem.

And that is with a Durok/Wiz Riposte build. I can run Necro and Spinner and ramp this damage up by another 30% easily. Without switching to Lightning staff. But it doesn't alter the fact you need someone to help you close kills. You'll just put out more damage and less utility but the dynamics remain the same.

Edited by Maulkin on June 19, 2018 3:34PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always play a build you want, you just have to accept that it won't be as potent as your meta peers. That being said, I love the ice playstyle with tons of crowd control. I happened to play a damage ice warden back last patch but chose to run the same setup on sorc, because it fits better. Anyways, with time freeze warden has access to a strong aoe stun again that fits great with the CC of your ice skills.

I'm running (on sorc)

2x Ice Heart
    5x Lich Back bar
    5x Winterborn
    1x Willpower Front bar

Its really strong, also on a warden. Just slot the skills you like, spamm permafrost and blockade and your winterborn procs all the time.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »

I was looking this set and seems pretty nice. What other set can you suggest me to combine? Lich set?

Yeah I use lich for solo or trans for grouo
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about to combine it with Sloads???

;-)
  • Vynist
    Vynist
    ✭✭✭
    So I just switched from mag warden to stam warden.

Honest opinion so far:

Stam warden is WAY stronger than mag warden.... but mag warden is more fun. Stam warden just feels like a offshoot of a stam dk to be honest, while mag warden has a whole complete new and fresh feel.

I kinda want to switch back to mag warden even though I would only have to stick with groups :(
  • olesmo
    olesmo
    ✭✭✭
    Vynist wrote: »

Honest opinion so far:

Stam warden is WAY stronger than mag warden.... but mag warden is more fun. Stam warden just feels like a offshoot of a stam dk to be honest, while mag warden has a whole complete new and fresh feel.

I kinda want to switch back to mag warden even though I would only have to stick with groups :(

sounds like you need some cleavage on ur stamden my dude.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzv7JDl0djM&t=325s
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »
    I'm absolutely loving my MagWarden in the BGs at the moment. Not the highest damage build by any means but so much group utility and support. It's a force multiplier as someone said. If your group happens to have 1 or 2 good players that know how to play with a support build you become sooo potent. Survivability is excellent if you learn to not faceplant into premade groups. And AoE damage is very good too.

- Light armor, 5L-1M-1H.

...also
    - Tri-stat food
    - Vampirism

My bars look like this:
    wGobyal.png

Your Frost Wall and Frost Reach snare and root people to [snip]. Even outside of your Northern Storm ult. They are caught in a snowstorm while being Maimed and Defiled and wasting resources trying to get out.

With Northern Storm and Pirate Skeleton you have extremely high up-time on Major Protection and 100% up-time on minor Protection through Ice Fortress. I can tell you how many times you will drop to 15-20% HP and you just can't die because the combination of Minor Maim, Major/Minor Protection and Undeath (vamp passive) means you take practically no damage.

Meanwhile you pack quite a bit of punch in unblockable AoE damage and enchant procs while your sustain is pretty good, especially if you are Argonian. I'll try to post a vid later if I can

I know I'm quoting my self but this in related to the build I posted. I said I'd link a quick vid, so here goes. Just a quick 10-minute deathmatch from yesterday, grabbing the daily random reward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMGV1BOqjr0
    EU | PC | AD
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skoria
    Winterborn
    Sload/caluurion (probably wanna pick sload)

Blockade, Shalk, Reach, Dampen, Imbue - N. Storm (or comet)
    Betty, Healing Ward, bird o pretty, flex spots, panacea

I like that
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Vynist
    Vynist
    ✭✭✭
    olesmo wrote: »
    Vynist wrote: »

Honest opinion so far:

sounds like you need some cleavage on ur stamden my dude.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzv7JDl0djM&t=325s

Hahah awesome video. I dont have a masters 2h so I cant run that build yet lol
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭

- Light armor, 5L-1M-1H.

...also
    - Tri-stat food
    - Vampirism

My bars look like this:
    wGobyal.png

I know I'm quoting my self but this in related to the build I posted. I said I'd link a quick vid, so here goes. Just a quick 10-minute deathmatch from yesterday, grabbing the daily random reward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMGV1BOqjr0

Build looks neat, I ran a ice sorc long time ago when winterborn first came out, people were extremely surprised and I got a looooooooot of kills with my build.

The only problem with a ice build, and it is extremely common to run into, snare immune builds
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skoria
    Winterborn
    Sload/caluurion (probably wanna pick sload)

Blockade, Shalk, Reach, Dampen, Imbue - N. Storm (or comet)
    Betty, Healing Ward, bird o pretty, flex spots, panacea

I like that

That sustain though
  • Toast_STS
    Toast_STS
    ✭✭✭✭
    2 sellistrix (for a stun)
    5 winterborn
    5 sloads (5 torugs when it gets nerfed)

Charged ice staff is great for proccing chilled and therfore winter born b/c chilled does a Lil ice damage and will maim and root.

Lucky 1 v 3 with the build
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/toast-sts/video/53909412
    VR14 DK Leaps-in-keeps
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of feel like i need to play my magwarden again with some ice theme. Just need to think about having a stun or not, since shalks lost their stun....
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skoria
    Overwhelming Surge
    Winterborn

Let the procs begin :D
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PvP is really the only place for an ice mage, but it can work really well. With snares, roots, minor maim, and magicka being used for block could be interesting.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will disagree with many of the comments here, because after my experience with both types of builds tanking/utility and damage/utility I have to say that damage utility is the one I love most in bgs and I cannot really understand how the general mentality and conception of mostly have of warden icemage is being tanky.

I will tell you that the perfect build is monster set + offensive set + defensive set. 5 light's and two heavy (big parts). If you want to Know more send me a private message.

In the last time is very unusual for me to lose a battleground due to this powerful build.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will disagree with many of the comments here, because after my experience with both types of builds tanking/utility and damage/utility I have to say that damage utility is the one I love most in bgs and I cannot really understand how the general mentality and conception of mostly have of warden icemage is being tanky.

I will tell you that the perfect build is monster set + offensive set + defensive set. 5 light's and two heavy (big parts). If you want to Know more send me a private message.

In the last time is very unusual for me to lose a battleground due to this powerful build.

It was because your primary frost damage at the time was scaling to health (blast and gripping) with the loss of blast there isn't as much pull to a healthden build.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve loved warden lately. It’s one of the best classes for easily stacking HOTs and benefiting from incoming heals.
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Necro, 5 Julianos , 2 iceheart, 5 divines 2 inpen
    Both weapons staves charged. top race choice for passives, either Altmer or Argonian. later replace necro with winterborn