The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

magna nb summerset

Syiccal
Syiccal
✭✭✭✭✭
anybody found a good set up combo of gear yet on a mage blade for open world pvp now that jewllery crafting and staff changes are in place?
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shackelbreaker/Necro replace strife with Crushing shock.
    Invictus
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crushing shock in pvp? what reason
  • DrFail
    DrFail
    Interrupt/stun are pretty nice and it's a spammable that's the same cost
    Edited by DrFail on May 31, 2018 9:05AM
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    only against casters though
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    crushing shock in pvp? what reason

Damage. incap+crushing shock. i kill people as quickly as a stamblade
    Edited by Lucky28 on May 31, 2018 9:38AM
    Invictus
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't use force shock on a magnb, just don't.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BohnT wrote: »

Damage is better than strife. it's just better to use Crushing shock till they un-*** strife. currently strife is not worth a slot
    Edited by Lucky28 on May 31, 2018 9:54AM
    Invictus
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lucky28 wrote: »

Damage is good. it's better to use Crushing shock till they un-*** strife.

Strife is still superior.
    All advantages of force pulse die in the process:
    Unreflectable won't help you kill that DK spamming wings and if he really dies to FP spam he is surely too bad to keep wings up all the time or be a threat at all.
    The extra damage is neglectable and in practise FP hits less often with it's full damage because you're chance is only: critchance^3 which is lower for critchance <100%.
    And in PvP you want as much burst as you can get there is no time to wait for that triple crit.
    The resource gain via destruction expert is so marginal that you can completely ignore it.
    With the new interrupt mechanics a ranged interrupt is just the same as a skill without the interrupt. There are two conditions in pvp stunned or CC immune you can't interrupt in either of these.
    Status effects:
    you have minor maim on your enemy with magnb all the time
    Burning is applied with fire glyph or LA/ HA
    Minor vulnerability is accessable via CP and mirage

Strife also has multiple advantages over FP:
    - Great HoT
    - gives you ulti on cast every 4 seconds ---> more frequent bursts
    - makes setting up your bar easier as you get the 8% magicka passive
    - more healing via passives

Strife will still be the bread and butter spammable for magnbs in PvP.

• Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No it's not dude. I've been running FP over strife since summerset the damage is better and by no small margin. literally have seen no magblade using strife who could compete. and the "very powerful hot" doesn't save them either.

it's better pure and simple. i don't want it to be true, but it is. what are you gonna do.
    Edited by Lucky28 on May 31, 2018 10:07AM
    Invictus
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No it's not dude. I've been running FP over strife since summerset the damage is better and by no small margin. literally have seen no magblade using strife who could compete. and the "very powerful hot" doesn't save them either.

it's better pure and simple. i don't want it to be true, but it is. what are you gonna do.

Then I'm sorry for you because it's not, keep running FP thinking that it's better, it's not but i won't waste my time, i'll just enjoy the free AP when i meet people like you.
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Lucky28 , people overvalue the HOT on Strife, probably because at one point it was very good, but it's been nerfed multiple times over the years. Just swap to Elemental Weapon or Force Pulse if you need a spammable and frontbar Siphoning Attacks or Cripple. If you're looking for a HOT, just slot Mutagen.
    Edited by arkansas_ESO on May 31, 2018 10:16AM

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raise the cost of a skill by a little hit and all the sudden it's worthless. Lol gotta love meta chasers
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Lucky28 , people overvalue the HOT on Strife, probably because at one point it was very good, but it's been nerfed multiple times over the years. Just swap to Elemental Weapon or Force Pulse if you need a spammable and frontbar Siphoning Attacks or Cripple. If you're looking for a HOT, just slot Mutagen.

pretty much. in terms of Damage force pulse was always better than strife the lower cost on strife is what made it a viable alternative to FP but with that gone, there is really no reason to slot strife over FP. most magnb's are gonna switch to FP in time, because it is just better.
    Edited by Lucky28 on May 31, 2018 10:27AM
    Invictus
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting debate to be had here I my self can't see the reason to run pulse/shock over swallow soul but if someone can convince me other wise I'm all ears
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting debate to be had here I my self can't see the reason to run pulse/shock over swallow soul but if someone can convince me other wise I'm all ears

here's one for you. Spinners/Necro with crushing shock and incap. try it out for yourself. you'll see it.
    Edited by Lucky28 on May 31, 2018 10:33AM
    Invictus
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

pretty much. in terms of Damage force pulse was always better than strife the lower cost on strife is what made it a viable alternative to FP but with that gone, there is really no reason to slot strife over FP. most magnb's are gonna switch to FP in time, because it is just better.

No reason? Ult gen? Clustered bars? 8% more healing? Small hot? Plus they finally fixed the damn weave animation so no more missed light attacks. Hell i even like to back bar it on my 2h build for some range pressure, the ult gen and a weave to proc mercy bow, great for if yoyre kiting and trying to build that burst. It wasn't just the low cost that made it good, and it will always be my spammable for my inferno staff build.
    Edited by Datthaw on May 31, 2018 10:41AM
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

here's one for you. Spinners/Necro with crushing shock and incap. try it out for yourself. you'll see it.

Here’s a better one against it:
    You can run ele drain with strife, you can't with FP.
    Bar setup with FP:
    Will, siphoning skill, cloak, FP, CC Incap

Bar setup with Strife:
    Will, Destro skill, cloak, strife, CC Incap + you get a flex spot on the resto bar as you already get the hot from Strife
    That means you get major breach on your enemy >destro passive penetration
    You get 600 magregen, see which skill is cheaper?
    You still get .5 ult/s, access to all passives etc.

FP is bad there is no reason to run it and no good NB is running it.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bar setup with FP:

Bar setup with Strife:
    Will, Destro skill, cloak, strife, CC Incap + you get a flex spot on the resto bar as you already get the hot from Strife

Lol this guy gets it, force pulse is a pve skill. Unless it's a niche build like my ice build I never slot force pulse.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »

No reason? Ult gen? Clustered bars? Small hot? Plus they finally fixed the damn weave animation so no more missed light attacks. It wasn't just the low cost that made it good, and it will always be my spammable for my inferno staff build.

i've gotten all those from different sources. i've been playing magblade for a long time, have three one of them is GO and another is halfway to GO. and i've had strife on my bar the entire way.... until this patch, and ultimately i don't miss it. my suvivabilty hasn't changed, my ultimate generation hasn't changed the only thing that's changed is my damage is higher.

I mean i do miss strife and how magblade played with it, but there is a better skill to use. if you want to stick with strife go for it.
    Edited by Lucky28 on May 31, 2018 10:49AM
    Invictus
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »

No reason? Ult gen? Clustered bars? Small hot? Plus they finally fixed the damn weave animation so no more missed light attacks. It wasn't just the low cost that made it good, and it will always be my spammable for my inferno staff build.

i've gotten all those from different sources. i've been playing magblade for a long time, have three one of them is GO and another is halfway to GO. and i've had strife on my bar the entire way.... until this patch, and ultimately i don't miss it. my suvivabilty hasn't changed, my ultimate generation hasn't changed the only thing that's changed is my damage is higher.

I mean, I just can't take that seriously, your survivability did change, you lost a small hot and 8% healing. Your ult gen did change because you lost that ult gen passive unless you're gonna spam cripple or siphon strikes every seconds
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What about Elemental Weapon? Proccing burning/chilled/concussed every cast sounds pretty good.
    The dmg is also higher than Funnel and the cost is lower than Force Pulse and Funnel.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What about Elemental Weapon? Proccing burning/chilled/concussed every cast sounds pretty good.
    The dmg is also higher than Funnel and the cost is lower than Force Pulse and Funnel.

You'll run into an issue with Bar setup.
    On magnb you need to run:
    Will
    Cloak
    1 siphoning ability
    1 destro ability
    1 CC
    On your front bar and with Elemental weapon you have to run a kinda limiting bar setup.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

About as far as I got with this skill is spamming it on test dummy, haven't actually tried a build yet. But I was pulling 15k dps on the dummy just weaving it lol.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my front bar is
    swallow soul
    Inner light
    reach
    cripple
    Merc resolve
    shooting star
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bar setup with FP:

Bar setup with Strife:

My bar setup with FP is:

Crippling Grasp-Force Pulse-Merciless-Flame Reach-Ele Drain-Incap

Backbar is Manifestation of Terror (sub in Cloak here if you want)-Siphoning-Ward-Ward-Shadow-Resto ulti

So, yeah, you can fit Ele Drain in alongside FP. Though I wouldn't even suggest to run Cloak this patch unless you're running the non-invis morph (in which case you'd just sub it for Healing Ward) or running 2H to purge snares (so you'd run Concealed Weapon by default.)

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bar setup with FP:

Bar setup with Strife:

My bar setup with FP is:

Crippling Grasp-Force Pulse-Merciless-Flame Reach-Ele Drain-Incap

Backbar is Manifestation of Terror (sub in Cloak here if you want)-Siphoning-Ward-Ward-Shadow-Resto ulti

So, yeah, you can fit Ele Drain in alongside FP. Though I wouldn't even suggest to run Cloak this patch unless you're running the non-invis morph (in which case you'd just sub it for Healing Ward) or running 2H to purge snares (so you'd run Concealed Weapon by default.)

The new cloak is kinda trash. You're better off running Rapids or mutagen tbh. I've been using it on a hybrid with like 35k hp and my heals kinda blow. More of a pve tank skill
  • Diddly_D_Potatoes
    Diddly_D_Potatoes
    ✭✭✭
    Funnel health is an awesome skill. Don't take the selfish swallow soul morph.

The HOT might not seem like that much of a heal, but it certainly helps with your groups survivability. Once you spread the HOT around your group, you can maintain pressure and a fairly high hps with no extra effort (healing AP FTW). Its great for spreading the transmutation buff around, and procing earthgore where it is needed.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Infused destro fire staff with oblivion enchant running force shock with 10% spell penetration passive > strife.

You can slot other siphoning skills like cripple on front bar to get 8% passives and ult gen. Besides relying on strife for ult gen is meh. Since strife is either reflected, dodged, or absorbed 90% of the time. Best go with FP. And with battle spirit and how powerful burst in pvp has become the hot is worthless. Hot won't save you unless your running some craZy healing build or fulfilling some special pvp guild group role.

Using FP gives you access to the 8% direct damage increase which frees up a slot so you can use elemental drain on back bar of you want. If your not running merciless resolve your doing it wrong.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »
    Infused destro fire staff with oblivion enchant running force shock with 10% spell penetration passive > strife.

You can slot other siphoning skills like cripple on front bar to get 8% passives and ult gen. Besides relying on strife for ult gen is meh. Since strife is either reflected, dodged, or absorbed 90% of the time. Best go with FP. And with battle spirit and how powerful burst in pvp has become the hot is worthless. Hot won't save you unless your running some craZy healing build or fulfilling some special pvp guild group role.

Using FP gives you access to the 8% direct damage increase which frees up a slot so you can use elemental drain on back bar of you want. If your not running merciless resolve your doing it wrong.

Why would you want to back bar Elemental Drain in place of resto for the ult and Healing Ward?
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »

Why would you want to back bar Elemental Drain in place of resto for the ult and Healing Ward?

group build maybe. i dunno, but i don't really need ele drain at all. i would take mark over drain.
    Invictus