The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Switch to a MagBlade?

Prinseth
Prinseth
✭✭✭
Should I switch my Dunmer StamBlade (I know not the best option for it but idc because Dunmer master race) to a MagBlade? The only reason I’m debating this is because I like using melee weapons, so just convince me of either way I suppose.
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    Dunmer are hands down the best race for every Mag Class except Sorcerer.

They're definitely not as viable as a StamBlade, I'd say yes!

[PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    definetly yes!
    and as magblade you can melee too, and that is why I do it!
    Backbar destrostave, frontbar 2x sword, trust me, there is not much that stays alive

do it and enjoy!
    Edited by Azurya on May 28, 2018 10:39AM
  • Prinseth
    Prinseth
    ✭✭✭
    Azurya wrote: »
    definetly yes!
    and as magblade you can melee too, and that is why I do it!
    Backbar destrostave, frontbar 2x sword, trust me, there is not much that stays alive

do it and enjoy!

I’ll definitely give that a try. But is DW viable anymore with Summerset? I know it was mainly used before because it would allow two 5 piece sets, but that’s changed now.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious about DW on a magic class too, if anything the light and heavy attacks would scale on weapon damage + stamina now, and there's a little bit of both. Of course it would still be a very tiny light attack damage in comparison to staves which are hitting very hard lately, and it can be very annoying to run out of magic on a Nightblade while on the dual wield bar since heavy attacks will only return stamina.

Back on the magblade/stamblade topic. There is one thing bothering me now ever since magic got buffed with Summerset. I usually play Nightblade DPS with cheap looted potions since I'm always throwing gold at other junk. If my Bosmer Stamblade isn't using crafted power potions and poisons, then it's doing less DPS than my Breton magblade using cheap looted blue potions.

Weapon damage is the bread and butter DPS buff for stamblades since there are a lot of weapon damage multipliers in the kit: 12% medium armor, 3% fighters guild + 5% Flawless Dawnbreaker, 20% major brutality + 5% minor brutality. WD adds a bit more base damage than stamina, so stacking WD is the thing to do. It can be buffed a whole lot by major brutality, which comes from crafted potions or less efficient skills.

Magicka on the other hand has a lot of multipliers on a Magblade: 6% Undaunted mettle, 8% siphoning skill line, 2% mages guild + 5% inner light, 20% CPs, 9% Dunmer. It's so close to matching the buff from spell damage that you may as well pile magicka as high as you can. I use the Mage mundus over Apprentice. I'm pretty sure in the absence of minor sorcery from a Templar, magicka is the stronger source for buffing damage, even if major sorcery were active.

My magblade has a very lopsided magicka pool in comparison to spell damage. Crafted spell power potions don't really add much and now, unless I feel like burning through crafted weapon power potions, my stamblade is doing less damage than my magblade.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on May 29, 2018 3:08PM
  • Prinseth
    Prinseth
    ✭✭✭
    So I think the main thing that makes DW on a MagBlade (post-Summerset) good is the Twin Blade and Blunt passive for swords, it adds 5% damage done when using two swords. I’m not sure how much better or worse that is than a staff or if there’s other pros to having DW or not but that’s where my knowledge ends and why I’m holding off making the switch until Summerset drops on consoles and I know a bit more.

Edited by Prinseth on May 29, 2018 5:51PM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the benefits of using DW on a magic build are over. A fire staff gives you the same damage boost, and now you can 5/5/2 with staves. Light and heavy attacks are pretty important...I wouldn’t give them up just to run around w swords.

But that doesn’t mean you can’t be a melee magblade. The core class skills have a full line of up close magic attacks. So you could be an awesome melee dunker magblade if you want.