The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bug with the Golden Gryphon Apartment in Summerset

ttraveler
ttraveler
✭✭
"Everyone" is getting the free apartment at the Golden Gryphon but me. Why?

They got the quest marker outside the door but not me. Why?

:(
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ttraveler wrote: »

Are you playing a new character created after Summerset? That's the only way to get the apartment. That was kind of buried in the patch notes... NVM - I worded this badly, as others have said - the character has to have never done the free apartment quest already.
    Edited by anadandy on May 24, 2018 2:23PM
  • ttraveler
    ttraveler
    ✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »

Are you playing a new character created after Summerset? That's the only way to get the apartment. That was kind of buried in the patch notes...

Thanks for your reply.

Five of my friends got the house for free. All were created a long time ago.

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only get 1 free apartment per character. You can still buy it for gold. If you already redeemed your free apartment in the base game or Morrowind, then you aren't eligible for this one.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on May 23, 2018 1:41AM
  • ttraveler
    ttraveler
    ✭✭
    You only get 1 free apartment per character. You can still buy it for gold. If you already redeemed your free apartment in the base game or Morrowind, then you aren't eligible for this one.

I have nine characters and the four free houses (DC AD EB MW).

My friends have all four free houses. AND they now have the fifth free house. How did they do that?

One friend got the free house with a character he created 4 years ago. I watched him get it while I was trying.

???
  • ttraveler
    ttraveler
    ✭✭
    Well ... I just went through my characters one at a time and one of them (created in August 2014) was able to get the free apartment at the Golden Gryphon.

I'm not sure why so if anyone does know please post why.

B)
  • Aeslief
    Aeslief
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• ttraveler
    ttraveler
    ✭✭
    Aeslief wrote: »

This does not answer the question but thanks for responding.

I did try with characters who never acquired a free house. The option was not triggered.

So I will add to/alter the question: Why is it that four of my characters who never got any free house could not trigger the option to get the Golden Gryphon free apartment? Perhaps the patch tonight will fix this but we will never really know since I now have the apartment and can no longer test it.

???
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It may be bugged, then. As far as I know, you can only get any of the inn rooms free with a character who has not already done so. I do have a couple of characters who went through the quest to "acquire" the free apartment in their alliance, even though I already had it. It was just to get rid of the quest marker and get some XP (little, though it is).

Then, with MW, I realized I didn't want to do that with my remaining characters since I figured they would release a new inn room with each chapter. I got the one in MW with my new warden, though. And, I plan to get the SS one with a new character as well.

I've noticed that when leaving Saint Delyn's, some of my characters get the quest marker and she's standing outside, but these are only for the ones that hadn't done the quest. It's possible that you may have done the quest with some of your characters even though you had already gotten the free inn room on another character.
  • Dhukath
    Dhukath
    ✭✭✭
    As people have said "one free apartment per character".

If you have never done the quest for the free apartment on any character no matter when they were created, you can pick up the quest and get your first apartment for free.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's likely a question of "never started" rather than "never finished". If you even read the brochure, that may have locked that character into a different location. Still, it should be in the journal in that case.
  • Zaglug
    Zaglug
    Soul Shriven

Are you playing a new character created after Summerset? That's the only way to get the apartment. That was kind of buried in the patch notes...

Just picked it up with a character created three years ago.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as others have said, if your character never picked up a housing quest, ever - they can do this one and get the room for free. even if that character was created all the way back in original early acess. but they have to have NEVER touched any housing quests before. this is how they did it. they simply avoided doing housing quests on alts.

this is how I did it personaly. on an alt that I've had for a while, but didn't touch housing quests on.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zaglug wrote: »

Just picked it up with a character created three years ago.

Sorry for the poor wording of my answer and any confusion it caused. As covered in the thread already - its a character that has never done the free room quest already. I interpreted the notes wrong.
  • OrphanSoup
    Hmm. I did the quest, got the apartment... went in and looked at it. Took the candle and left. Just went back to put some stuff In it, but it’s only for preview now and it costs 3000! When I talk to the girl, she just says she hopes the room is to my liking and I lie about worshipping daedra in it... did she catch on to my lie and evicted me?!
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OrphanSoup wrote: »
    Hmm. I did the quest, got the apartment... went in and looked at it. Took the candle and left. Just went back to put some stuff In it, but it’s only for preview now and it costs 3000! When I talk to the girl, she just says she hopes the room is to my liking and I lie about worshipping daedra in it... did she catch on to my lie and evicted me?!

I think you went into the preview before the acquisition quest completed. Now she's completed her spiel, it should actually be yours. Although how you took the candle confuses me. You should not have been able to enter the editor in the preview.
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to get the Golden Gryphon free apartment on my old character who already has another free apartment ( & a purchased home). So it doesn't appear that the 'you only get one free apartment' rule is accurate. I did have to listen to the acquisition quest dialog again and take the brochure.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't able to get it for free. :/
  • Kesarai
    Kesarai
    ✭✭
    I tried on a character that had not done the quest. She accepted the quest, then talked to what's her name in front of the door to the Golden Gryphon Apartment, we went through the whole spiel, she said here's your apartment, clicked finish, was awarded the page of available housing but yet she did not actually give me the apartment, it still says Preview and is not on my owned housing list /cries
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One free apartment per character! :D
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm...this apartment appears to be bugged. I got it just fine on a brand new character (on XB) and have visited it many times since and have put a few things in it.

I haven't yet gotten it on PC. I'll attempt it on one of my characters that hasn't yet done the quest and see what happens. I would definitely bug this in-game for those of you who have had issues.
    Ashryn wrote: »
    I was able to get the Golden Gryphon free apartment on my old character who already has another free apartment ( & a purchased home). So it doesn't appear that the 'you only get one free apartment' rule is accurate. I did have to listen to the acquisition quest dialog again and take the brochure.

That's interesting, considering that NONE of my characters that have done the quest have ever had the option to get any of the other free inn rooms. She does not appear for any of them outside the inn room in Saint Delyn's. I know she won't appear for the other inn rooms in the base game, since those are alliance-based (or perhaps she's there, but you can't get the quest from her). The only characters for whom she shows up for me are the ones who haven't already done the quest.

It may be, though, that you were able to do this because this inn room seems to be bugged. I haven't actually checked the Golden Gryphon with any of my characters. I'll try to do that, as well, and see what happens.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on June 14, 2018 6:52PM
  • Kesarai
    Kesarai
    ✭✭
    I was finally able to get the apartment free, but was a pain...lol

Created brand new character. Went to Alinor. Previewed the apartment, while in the apartment got the quest starter from the Crown Store, opened it while still in the apartment and accepted quest. When I accepted the quest while in the apartment, this time it actually told me to talk to her there in Alinor. Stepped out, talked to her there, when I finished the quest was given the deed to the apartment.

I know kind of a pain for a 3k apartment, but I was determined to see what I had to do in order to actually get the apartment free like they said...lol

I play PC/NA if this helps anyone.
  • Zells
    Zells
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, have to have a character who hasn't done the quest, but that's been stated. Once you show up with a character who CAN get it, some characters are charged 3K and some aren't.

I don't have a way to test this - since I have the apartment now - but when I initially tried to buy it, I was asked to pay 3K. I didn't pay at that time, but came back later with a different character, who was offered the apartment for free. I accepted it.

The difference between the two characters was that the first was CP and the second one wasn't. I believe that's the key.
    Tamriel_Tidbits is the home of your daily ESO Memento Mori: https://www.youtube.com/@Tamriel_Tidbits
  • Fudly_budly
    Fudly_budly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Offering an additional scenario for further clarification of this obviously poorly set up scenario.
    I have a number of specialized toons and here's my experience with the "free" apartment in Summerset.
    I ported my main crafting toon to Summerset and ran the road to Alinor looking for the jewelry crafting certification. This toon stumbled across the available apartment so climbing the stairs, walking past the npc with no quest marker, and entering the apartment I see that it is 3000 gold. Okay, no problem, so I buy it in order to have a housing port in Summerset. Now the interesting part. I port my second toon, my "farmer," to the apartment that I just purchased. Upon exiting the apartment I run into the npc with the quest marker. Walking to the dialogue this toon which for obvious reasons has never even initiated any "free" apartment quest appeared to qualify for the "free" apartment by completing the "Rooms..." quest and was awarded the free room even though I already own the room by purchasing it with my other toon. Both of these toons are CP 600.
    In my opinion, here is why this is all fouled up. When housing was first launched the free apartments were only available to the toon belonging to the faction wherein the apartment was located. Why then was my Breton farming toon eligible for an apartment located within the Aldmeri Dominion? Further, the quest giving npc should have dialogue options that direct the player to send a character that is a "first time" homeowner? Seems so simple to me. But then I'm not in the business of trying to rip off in-game gold from players.

And no, I am still not over spending the 40K gold to get the same horse that 10K would have got me.
    Edited by Fudly_budly on August 16, 2018 12:53PM
    Rule #1: RL trumps gaming.
    Rule #2: True immersion is RL.
    Rule #3: RL lag is wonderful.
    Rule #4: People matter. Pixels do not.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can see getting the quest on a character who hasn't done the quest even though you have the apartment. It shouldn't be the case, I think, but I did do the quest on a couple of alts in the same alliance just to have done the quest (the original one, which was much more involved). They went through all the rigmarole, dialogue, and got the deed to the room I already had. Not a big deal, though now I wish I hadn't even done the quest on the two or three I did, since they've started adding free inn rooms with the expansions. I only have a couple of characters left who can do the quest, and I don't plan to start a new character every time there is a new expansion.