Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Summerset is utterly disgusting!

• Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dayth wrote: »
    Vimora wrote: »
    Kind of of a double standard there seeing as Dunmer are arguably the most prevalent slavers in ESO lol
    True Dunmer only enslave those that are better off that way. There is a huge difference between having some corruption and slavery in your country and your country being so beyond repair due to the corruption and decadence of its leaders that part of the population literally sees no other way than moving out to find a new home.
    "Praised honesty" implied to be a virture by a member of a society that follows three of the biggest liars in Tamriel. :D
    True Dunmer worship Azura.

You ever heard of the No true Scotsman fallacy? At any rate, how can someone be better off enslaved?
    Altmer and Dunmer see themselves as the superior race so they can do what they want with everyone else, even the Dunmer ban on Necromancy only really extends to their own race, the rest are barely more than animals in their eyes.

Maybe you live on a different planet. Here on Earth we are full of drunkards, homeless, drug addicts, muggers, murderers, thieves, and just generally extremely dumb people. They would all be better off following a master who shows them how to lead a productive life.

I don't know about Altmer scum, but not all Dunmer are the same. Visit Morrowind sometime and check it out. ;)
  • Dayth
    Dayth
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of of a double standard there seeing as Dunmer are arguably the most prevalent slavers in ESO lol
    True Dunmer only enslave those that are better off that way. There is a huge difference between having some corruption and slavery in your country and your country being so beyond repair due to the corruption and decadence of its leaders that part of the population literally sees no other way than moving out to find a new home.
    "Praised honesty" implied to be a virture by a member of a society that follows three of the biggest liars in Tamriel. :D

You ever heard of the No true Scotsman fallacy? At any rate, how can someone be better off enslaved?
    Altmer and Dunmer see themselves as the superior race so they can do what they want with everyone else, even the Dunmer ban on Necromancy only really extends to their own race, the rest are barely more than animals in their eyes.

Maybe you live on a different planet. Here on Earth we are full of drunkards, homeless, drug addicts, muggers, murderers, thieves, and just generally extremely dumb people. They would all be better off following a master who shows them how to lead a productive life.

I don't know about Altmer scum, but not all Dunmer are the same. Visit Morrowind sometime and check it out. ;)

So in your opinion if someone is homeless, an addict, a thief or not intelligent enough for your standards they should have no free will and forced into servitude?

• Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is that the choice to live their lives led them to that decision.

Morrowind could have just as easily offered a job with a barracks type setup with albeit cheap labor, but still freedom.

If the dunmer would have done so they could have built their own Elven Empire to Rival the Ayleids of old without the evil part.

The Tribunal could have easily ended all slavery, but their strict adherence to non-interference with most worldly events is infuriating. I mean hell if you had the power of lower tier god wouldn't you change things?

Sotha Sil looked like he was trying to do so with his "clockwork city" expirement. Although I'm not sure exactly what he meant by "The redemption of Tamriel" It's a little vague

Vivec has his own idea, achieving CHIM to become the godhead

Almalexia truly cares for her people but she's also a selfish person.

If even 1 of the three had made attempt the Three Banner war wouldn't exist and They already defeated Dagon and Molag Bal in combat. So they are clearly capable of reining in Tamriel if they chose to do so
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh. Sure. I'm just going to quote Jester King Emeric here...

Jester King Emeric: Do you know the trouble with Morrowind feasts?
    Jester Queen Ayrenn: All the poisonings?
    Jester King Emeric: No, besides that!
    Jester Queen Ayrenn: The squishy bug glop?
    Jester King Emeric: Yes, but-
    Jester Queen Ayrenn: The long silent glowering?
    Jester King Emeric: Everything comes out smoked…! But seriously, they really are dreadful, aren’t they?
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of disgusting, have you seen how Idesa carries on with that Dark Elf?
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

"Varlines are magica conduits that stretch through the region. The Altmer use Varla Lenses to siphon magica from them for defense and other purposes."

https://www.imperial-library.info/content/eso-alinor-and-ayarene

Here is the link to entire page dedicated to the varlines. This is the Developer's added legit page

All of that comes from an old data mine. As Gina and Jessica always point out, nothing data mined is guaranteed to appear in the game. It's little more than a design document, and those exist for other TES games as well with stuff that didn't make it in. It would have been nice, and shows that they had given the Altmer some thought, but I don't see how it can be considered canon.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    True Dunmer only enslave those that are better off that way.

HAHAHAHAHahahaha..ahh, haha......oh you're serious?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    @psychotrip

"Varlines are magica conduits that stretch through the region. The Altmer use Varla Lenses to siphon magica from them for defense and other purposes."

Here is the link to entire page dedicated to the varlines. This is the Developer's added legit page

All of that comes from an old data mine. As Gina and Jessica always point out, nothing data mined is guaranteed to appear in the game. It's little more than a design document, and those exist for other TES games as well with stuff that didn't make it in. It would have been nice, and shows that they had given the Altmer some thought, but I don't see how it can be considered canon.

After checking out Summerset on the PTS, it seems as I feared. Varlines have been completely retconned. I find no mention or hint of them anywhere. There are also no goblin or elemental slaves of any kind anymore.

If somebody found anything, please, prove me wrong, I beg you.
  • LickingHistSap
    LickingHistSap
    ✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

After checking out Summerset on the PTS, it seems as I feared. Varlines have been completely retconned. I find no mention or hint of them anywhere. There are also no goblin or elemental slaves of any kind anymore.

There are Goblins, don't worry.

And Varlines weren't 'retconned'. They never existed anywhere but in a beta version of ESO that is 100% not canon?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

Elementals are there, but not on Summerset. There's an atronach worker on Artaeum. There were goblin slaves in Auridon in the public dungeon.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

Elementals are there, but not on Summerset. There's an atronach worker on Artaeum. There were goblin slaves in Auridon in the public dungeon.

From a loading screen:
    Some say Goblins originated in Summerset, and some say the High Elves brought them here to serve as menials and slaves. They no longer perform those functions, but freed or escaped, Goblin tribes still thrive in the island's loneliest corners.

I'll have another look at Artaeum though.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:
    Some say Goblins originated in Summerset, and some say the High Elves brought them here to serve as menials and slaves. They no longer perform those functions, but freed or escaped, Goblin tribes still thrive in the island's loneliest corners.

Huh. So even the lore from Oblivion is non-canon now. http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_3rd_Edition/Summerset

There’s also the Altmer training goblin slaves in Morrowind, but we know half of that game was retconned already.

Or, you know, maybe they stopped enslaving goblins in ESO only to start again by the time lf Morrowind and Oblivion, or some other contrived, patchwork excuse.

But yeah, varlines were never canon. I know there was an interview where one of the devs said the datamine was mostly accurate for their vision of Summerset, but obviously that’s not the case anymore. Shame. I loved their interpretation of the Altmer and Summerset. It was much more interesting than...whatever the hell we’re actually getting.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 18, 2018 1:59PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • LickingHistSap
    LickingHistSap
    ✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:

Huh. So even the lore from Oblivion is non-canon now. http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_3rd_Edition/Summerset

There’s also the Altmer training goblin slaves in Morrowind, but we know half of that game was retconned already.

Or, you know, maybe they stopped enslaving goblins in ESO only to start again by the time lf Morrowind and Oblivion, or some other contrived, patchwork excuse.

But yeah, varlines were never canon. I know there was an interview where one of the devs said the datamine was mostly accurate for their vision of Summerset, but obviously that’s not the case anymore. Shame. I loved their interpretation of the Altmer and Summerset. It was much more interesting than...whatever the hell we’re actually getting.

There are Goblin slaves in Stonefalls, what are you talking about?

EDIT: Misread what you wrote as Morrowind not having goblin slaves, my mistake. Either way, there are still Goblin slaves in the Isles, considering that entire tribe escaped slavery just a few years back.
    Edited by LickingHistSap on April 18, 2018 2:12PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:

I'd entirely forgotten about those Altmer trainers in Tribunal, thanks for the reminder.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:

EDIT: Misread what you wrote as Morrowind not having goblin slaves, my mistake. Either way, there are still Goblin slaves in the Isles, considering that entire tribe escaped slavery just a few years back.

So, ESO's writing must be conflicting with itself again.

Or the implication is that Altmer stopped using goblin slaves very recently, which again conflicts with the lore from Morrowind and Oblivion .
    Anyway, @Nelson_Rebel, you may want to read what @Faulgor just found out about the varlines.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 18, 2018 3:26PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:

Or the implication is that Altmer stopped using goblin slaves very recently, which again conflicts with the lore from Morrowind and Oblivion .
    Anyway, @Nelson_Rebel, you may want to read what @Faulgor just found out about the varlines.

I did and I do not consider ESO cannon for this reason. And several other conflicting items in this game with pre-established Elder Scrolls games.

As of now ESO is simply a non-cannon MMO game set in Elder scrolls type lore during a dragon break seperate from main ESO timeline/reality.

Edited by Nelson_Rebel on April 18, 2018 4:04PM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:

I did and I do not consider ESO cannon for this reason. And several other conflicting items in this game with pre-established Elder Scrolls games.

As of now ESO is simply a non-cannon MMO game set in Elder scrolls type lore during a dragon break seperate from main ESO timeline/reality.

Well ESO is the one that came up with the Varlines, so without ESO it still wouldn't be canon. Both Zenimax and Bethesda disagree with you that ESO is non-canon. Look man, I hate this as much as you, but this The Elder Scrolls now.

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:

This Summerset can't be anything more than a fluke. Whether it's goblin slavery or open border policies, for some reason all of that changed back by the 3rd era, and Altmer were once again known for their arrogant and isolationist culture. That Ayrenn ultimately fails is one of the few things that give me hope.

As for varlines, it's really just a shame. They had something interesting and unique for the Altmer and replaced it with nothing. Not even something else, there's just nothing that distinguishes Altmer in their culture and way of life from any other kingdom in Tamriel. It just feels like this colossal hole in world building.
    Maybe I still have to look around more, but if it's that well hidden, what's the point?
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:

Well ESO is the one that came up with the Varlines, so without ESO it still wouldn't be canon. Both Zenimax and Bethesda disagree with you that ESO is non-canon. Look man, I hate this as much as you, but this The Elder Scrolls now.

It really doesn't make sense though.

It doesn't match what we know in lore from tiber septims time where he was forced to use the power of the Numidium gifted by the dunmer
    Edited by Nelson_Rebel on April 18, 2018 8:13PM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:

It doesn't match what we know in lore from tiber seotims time where they he was forced to use the power of thr Numidium gifted by the dunmer

Nope. You're 100% right. It doesn't make sense, but that's the reality of The Elder Scrolls now.

• Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:

It doesn't match what we know in lore from tiber seotims time where they he was forced to use the power of thr Numidium gifted by the dunmer

Nope. You're 100% right. It doesn't make sense, but that's the reality of The Elder Scrolls now.

It's vexing why they are doing this.

Morrowind at this point is more advanced than everyone from what we've seen
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:

Yep. Morrowind is allowed to be weird and advanced. To hell with consistency.

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:

Yep. Morrowind is allowed to be weird and advanced. To hell with consistency.

Only because they wanted to bank on nostalgia.

Maybe in that light, the best (read: weirdest) we can hope for is a Battlespire DLC if we can convince them we have nostalgia for it.
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotrip

From a loading screen:

There is a goblin tribe in King Haven's Pass dungeon north to the island it has a "door" on both northern side
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Dystopia2020
    Dystopia2020
    ✭✭✭
    Funny that their cities are made up of cathedral like buildings featuring the flying buttress as some of their most advanced architecture. Actual humans invented the flying buttress in late antiquity, just think Notre Dame; seriously lazy or underpaid art department.
    EDIT: BTW I come from good Ayleid stock, why do you think we left those dreadful, boring islands?
    Edited by Dystopia2020 on April 29, 2018 3:23AM
    Apotheosis Priori~ EP Altmer Vamplar
    Illumanatus Priori~ EP Altmer Mag Sorc
    Apostate Priori~ EP Altmer Mag DK
    Apostate De'Void~ (retired) AD Altmer crafter
    PC/ NA, Vivec
    This is the Spiral Skein. The tower is One. The strands are Eight. The lessons are Forever.
    "No really, I AM an Ayleid".
  • Sekero
    Sekero
    ✭✭✭

Ye Gods,I live in the UK and actually googled Bath Architechture this morning to confirm it reminded me of Summerset !

2nd picture above,mind you a lot of ESO names are plays on England : Balmora-Balmoral etc.

Last time I looked, Balmoral was in Scotland. Has it been stolen?

*waves his Saltire*
  • AnomanderisPurake
    Really? To me it sounds like some Highborn who didn't have the stomach to witness the cruel truth of the world rounded up people who were too cowardly to achieve anything and took them to a volcanic island where they could blame their inefficiency upon the harsh conditions that they have to endure.

As the Lore-Master has told us recently, the Altmer value perfection, from the simplest baker to the esteemed historian, every member of Altmer society strives to better themselves each year, if they fail to do so they are ousted from society for sometime- most Altmer isolate themselves willingly in shame- until they manage to perfect their craft. They then rejoin society and reclaim their former position.

Veloth was just an Altmer who was seduced by the three Daedra who promised him power and position without any hard work and so he packed up his bags and left Summerset, dragging behind a mob of useless mongrels.
    Summerset is better off without that group anyway.
  • AnomanderisPurake

So in your opinion if someone is homeless, an addict, a thief or not intelligent enough for your standards they should have no free will and forced into servitude?

Yes... addicts and homeless people contribute nothing to our society, same thing with all those murderers and criminals in jail. We have to feed them and clothe them, spending fortunes on prison cells and guards when simple executions for grave crimes like murder would be easy and strike fear in the common masses, deterring them from committing the same crime.
  • Sekero
    Sekero
    ✭✭✭

large snip....

Yes... addicts and homeless people contribute nothing to our society, same thing with all those murderers and criminals in jail. We have to feed them and clothe them, spending fortunes on prison cells and guards when simple executions for grave crimes like murder would be easy and strike fear in the common masses, deterring them from committing the same crime.

Capital punishment has never been an effective deterrent. It's easy to execute someone, but if it turns out he was innocent, how do you bring him back? A valid question, since there have been many wrongful executions in the UK, even in the 20th century.
  • AnomanderisPurake
    Allanm wrote: »

large snip....

Capital punishment has never been an effective deterrent. It's easy to execute someone, but if it turns out he was innocent, how do you bring him back? A valid question, since there have been many wrongful executions in the UK, even in the 20th century.

Of course there will be wrongful executions, before the advent of DNA Fingerprinting, I believe more than 300 innocent people had been jailed in the US alone, and that's just the amount of cases freelance lawyers perused.

When it comes to swift justice there will always be innocent people who associate with criminals getting caught, but what can you do? In the prosecution of a 1000 people a hundred may be innocent. Justice must be swift and harsh, if we wait to be absolutely sure of everything then you'll be stuck with an enormous backlog of cases that you will never be able to work through