The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

MagSorc staff...fire or lightning????

Joxer61
Joxer61
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, loving the Sorc atm and having fun getting back into the game and all. Have been eyeing a few builds as reference as I level but need to ask, why does one have dual flame staff while another has lightning? And not just from a personal prefence point of view, but is one "better" than the other? I would think lightning would be the go-to staff of choice for Sorc since we are all about the thunder and such!? But does a flame staff do better aoe (burning) and that's why I see it being used? Just asking as I would like to try and be using the most efficient tools as I level and also on my already 50, want to be doing it right so I am an asset to a group, not dead weight.
I also know lightning is channelled HA so maybe that's a thing as well...dunno...its all still so new so just wanna get it right. Cheers! ;)
Edited by Joxer61 on April 27, 2018 4:16AM
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fire staff is used on the backbar mainly for elemental (fire) blockade whose damage are higher than lighting blockade (that procs concussion but it was nerfed last patch)

Overall I prefer lighting staves on my sorc cause someone has to wear it in the team and sorc have lighting bonus so I feel like this is the right choice.

And I love the AOE splash of lighting stave heavy attack

If I were using an Ilambris build, I would probably have one staff of each kind to proc both effects . Or I would used a fire enchant on my lighting staff (to ensure both effects proc)
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    Or I would used a fire enchant on my lighting staff (to ensure both effects proc)

Sweet! Wasn't aware of that right there (and the other bits as well) so you can enchant a lightning staff with fire and that procs the fire blockade, which does melt the mobs for sure!? Thanks for that, I shall be sure to remember it. ;)
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The destro staff passives Ancient Knowledge increase aoe dmg by 8% with a lightning staff and single target dmg by 8% with a fire staff.

So most sorcs have a lightning staff on the back bar with Liquid and Blockade. And a fire staff on the front bar with Force Pulse, Cfrags, Curse and Mages Fury.

This also helps to proc the lighting and fire effects of Ilambris.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I personally prefer fire staff for my front bar and lightning staff on my backbar. The fire front bar is mainly for my single target skills (crystal frags, haunting curse, force pulse, and endless fury) to do more damage. I have a lightning backbar for blockade of storms and thunderous rage. Both do amazing damage on sorcs due to their shock damage bonus. In the end game pve community, most sorcs run a lightning backbar. Having either a lightning or fire front bar is more personal choice.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    Or I would used a fire enchant on my lighting staff (to ensure both effects proc)

Sweet! Wasn't aware of that right there (and the other bits as well) so you can enchant a lightning staff with fire and that procs the fire blockade, which does melt the mobs for sure!? Thanks for that, I shall be sure to remember it. ;)

No, the fire enchant procs illambris (2 pcs set, very good for magsorc) not fire blockade

blockade type is defined by what type of staff you are using
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer lightning staff, honestly. Many people do one of each so you get the benefits of both. Im not at that point yet as run my sorc through dungeons as a healer with resto on backbar at the moment. But when i make her full on damage ill be doing one of each more than likely unless something changes.

I find lightning more pleasant to use so im a bit biased in that respect.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, thanks all for clearly that up. As I mentioned, was seeing builds with either flame/flame or lightning/lightning. What you all have said makes complete sense and is actually what I have now, fire front lightning back, for those reasons. Blockade "feels" better with lightning for some reason and fits the class but its nice to burn some suckers as well. Cheers all!! Big help. :smiley:
  • LunaOM
    LunaOM
    I use double fire because lightning blockade is already given by healers and usually the maintank in raid, and fire blockade does a *** load more damage then lightning blockade. Fire frontbar because majority of my damage is st
    loozzies - Magnb - Dromathra Destroyer, Divayth Fyrs Coadjutor, Assistant Alienist
    liounzies- Magsorc - Divayth Fyrs Coadjuter, Assistant Alienist
    Lunaplar- Magplar - Assistant Alienist
  • MerlinPendragon
    MerlinPendragon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shock staff both bars. Especially if using Netch's Touch set.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally go with 2 lightings staves

Old habits I guess

Kinda of love the lighting theme on the magsorc

Same way I use Stormfist on my stamsorc maybe not best, but surely cool to play with a stamsorc
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've used 1 lightning/1 fire for a long time. However, lightning is the front bar, because most of my damage is AoE, so even if I do cast a single-target skill I want my AoE DoTs to keep ticking away with the lightning-staff benefit.

I'm beginning to switch to lightning/lightning, especially in builds that don't use Ilambris.

That said, I have a question of my own: Isn't Concussion important even with the nerf to Off-Balance up-time? Minor Vulnerability seems like a debuff that should have about 100% uptime.
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭
    Can somebody tell me what traits and glyphs to use on both Lightning staves?

I read conflicting info about it.
    front: infused (magic damage or shock)
    back: infused (spell damage) or nirnhoned (spell damage) or charged (shock)

And yes, on magicka Sorcerer.
    Edited by exiars10 on April 29, 2018 12:30PM
    I don't play ESO since 15.06. because Cyrodiil is broken since Summerset (PvE isn't much better, too)...

Aldmeri Dominion (PC Europe via Steam)

The cowardly Wood Elves are best noted for their unwillingness to engage in a face-to-face attack; a Bosmer will strike at you from every side except the front. You won't cross swords with a Bosmer, but you might catch an arrow in the throat. Be wary in forests and jungles, and watch your back.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    exiars10 wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me what traits and glyphs to use on both Lightning staves?

I read conflicting info about it.
    front: infused (magic damage or shock)
    back: infused (spell damage) or nirnhoned (spell damage) or charged (shock)

And yes, on magicka Sorcerer.

Front bar: infused with fire dmg enchant
    Back bar: nirnhoned with spell/weapon dmg enchant
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer