Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should Backlash/Purifying light/PoTL explosion crit?

JobooAGS
JobooAGS
✭✭✭✭✭
Another discussion generating devils advocate question. Why not?

Should Backlash/Purifying light/PoTL explosion crit? 37 votes

Yes
35%
Khivas_CarrickWillhelmBlackDarkmage1337KatinasAionnaMinnousmcjdkingMetafaefirerapturedatgladiatahKikkeSupremeRissoleLunaOM 13 votes
No
59%
itsfatbassLightspeedflashb14_ESOSkayaqSodanTokLeingodMojomonkeymanBald_templarAiphatonSleep724NBrookusBohnTTaylor_MBEldritchPenguinLuckylancerLadislaogetemshaunaanathosdmExtinct_Solo_PlayerFakeFoxNegativeVibes 22 votes
Other
5%
AverageJo3Gam3rBaneOfBattler 2 votes
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It can crit. Damage just can't exceed the cap.

The only change I'd like to see is that the skill should store 40% of the caster's damage and 10% of allies' damage instead of 20% of all damage.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

The only change I'd like to see is that the skill should store 40% of the caster's damage and 10% of allies' damage instead of 20% of all damage.

the initial cast can crit, just not the final explosion, on any templar parse with backlash and its morphs, you will find that there are 2 backlashes, one that contributes to a small part of your dps with some crits and another that takes a larger chunk of your dps with 0 crits.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be way too OP in PvP (blame zos for balancing them together) and it doesn’t really need to do more damage in PvE.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess it would be nice, but since zos doesn't wanna separate pvp from pve, it probably won't happen.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think a critting backlash would add some of the missing dps templars can dish out in pve. for pvp 1v1 scenarios it wont hurt either, since it would allow templars to have a more reliable stun. normally templars dont reach the damage cap anyway in 1v1 situation, since you need to line up some good combo for a big birst, which mostly gets interrupted. so adding crit would make it a better skill for pvp too. the only situation, which would make a backlash crit OP is an outnumbered situation, but there backlash without crit is strong anyway....
  • datgladiatah
    datgladiatah
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    It 100% does. It's a damage tool that works very similarly to a few other class exclusive abilities: Grim Focus/Crystal Frags/Shalk. It's a high burst ability which requires time or some prerequisite to hit its maximum damage. Except:

-Shalk is an aoe and shreds everyone in that aoe with its damage type (next patch) and probably hits just as hard as purifying light in 3 seconds instead of 6.

-Crystal Frags can RNG itself in a row like 5 times. It can crit. It's damage is good but it could be reverted back to 20%

-Grim focus overperforms because it gives a rare and much more potent buff than minor fracture/breach, light weaving is easy, and the burst is and overall dps in pve and pvp is unreal. This doesn't really change next patch.

The noticeable advantage of POTL is that a group of people can help maximize the damage. That's guaranteed full damage in group content, but why does that matter? It takes 6 seconds to pop (longer than other burst abilities), it's single target, it offers benefits that don't equate nearly as well to the other abilities listed, and it doesn't crit at max damage. The least it could do is crit. Or it needs to have a scaling buff.
  • DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    DRAGON_KILLER_HUNTER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes if it gets blockable again.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    The ability doesn't crit anymore, zos changed it because the damage that it takes into the last hit already has a chance to crit, so you could in essance, double crit with the ability. I am on my phone, so I can't find the patch notes but this was the reasoning for the skill not criting.

• AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I'd be fine with it critting if it only stored damage from the caster.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, but only as a reworked spell.

It should be changed to crit, but be a DOT with major fracture/breach to compensate for the explosion loss.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What explosion loss?
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What explosion loss?

Minno suggested to change it into a dot instead of the explosion after 6 seconds.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

This would be way too OP in PvP (blame zos for balancing them together) and it doesn’t really need to do more damage in PvE.

How would that be OP? The cap would remain the same. It would make it less potent in Xv1 and more suited to solo play. It's not even a buff, just a QoL boost.
  • Kova
    Kova
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-Crystal Frags can RNG itself in a row like 5 times. It can crit. It's damage is good but it could be reverted back to 20%

If you mean it can proc itself, then this is entirely incorrect. You can hardcast or proc cast all day and not proc another frag.
    Edited by Kova on April 30, 2018 10:04PM
    EP Sorc: Aydinn
    AD Stamplar: Verdant`Knight
    DC Stamblade: Apple`Punch
    EP Stam Sorc: Kós
    AD DragonKnight: Transmigrant
    EP NIghtblade: Aydinn
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Not enough buff for pve, too op for pvp.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It 100% does. It's a damage tool that works very similarly to a few other class exclusive abilities: Grim Focus/Crystal Frags/Shalk. It's a high burst ability which requires time or some prerequisite to hit its maximum damage. Except:

-Shalk is an aoe and shreds everyone in that aoe with its damage type (next patch) and probably hits just as hard as purifying light in 3 seconds instead of 6.

-Grim focus overperforms because it gives a rare and much more potent buff than minor fracture/breach, light weaving is easy, and the burst is and overall dps in pve and pvp is unreal. This doesn't really change next patch.

The noticeable advantage of POTL is that a group of people can help maximize the damage. That's guaranteed full damage in group content, but why does that matter? It takes 6 seconds to pop (longer than other burst abilities), it's single target, it offers benefits that don't equate nearly as well to the other abilities listed, and it doesn't crit at max damage. The least it could do is crit. Or it needs to have a scaling buff.

Wut? I am pretty sure most of this is just wrong
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • BaneOfBattler
    BaneOfBattler
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    It can crit, the dmg is capped.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can crit, the dmg is capped.

no it cant crit, only the initial damage can, but the explosion after 6 seconds has a cap and can not crit.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    No double dipping. Crits already increase damage it deals (until you reach cap)
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Should Curse crit?
    PC EU