Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Heavy armor Stam Warden Hard Counter

CaliMade
CaliMade
✭✭✭✭
Im getting increasingly frustrated with how busted this class is. I can avoid their burst and fight them head on on any class....when there’s just one tho. Im soo sick of this class that iI want to do something that will make stam wardens hop on other toons after fighting me.

Any Ideas on builds that can drop a stam warden soo hard that they rethink their class choice.

Dead serious, like go all out. Rescources arent an issue , i got a templar friend willing to spam shards and magic steal for me. I just want the hardest hitting possible build that works really really well specifically against stam wardens.

And what class spec would allow me to put together that much raw burst damage?
Sorc?
stamNB?
MagNB?

Im thinking magblade with 5 spinner 5 Innate axiom 2 pc skoria. But any combination of damage or debuff sets works as long as it destroys those cheesey shalk spamming shmucks
XB1 GT- Cali Made

Praetorian Stam DK Redguard

Brigadier Stam/magblade (whatever i feel like running) Redguard

Major Mag DK Dark Elf

lieutenant Mag/stamplar (whatever i feel like running) Redguard
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go a full defile build. You can wear thorvukan for minor defile, for major defile either use duroks bane or reverb bash. Put a lot of points into befoul and you wont have much problems with anything but magsorcs.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're running drain poisons right? If you can avoid the sub assault burst (which is really their only one trick pony), and keep them out of resources, the rest should be a cakewalk. As checkmath said, defile builds are good against any character with self healing.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    play a nightblade. they have no natural counter to cloak. Especially against magblades they will suffer.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on April 28, 2018 11:54AM
  • CaliMade
    CaliMade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ill try these out. Thanks
    I mean i can’t be the only one who gets severley annoyed fighting a stam warden after fighting stamplars, stamdk’s and stam sorcs. They are just soo much better than all of them in every way. Idk how zenimax hasn't even considered buffing the latter three yet.
    XB1 GT- Cali Made

Major Mag DK Dark Elf

• BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    play a nightblade. they have no natural counter to cloak. Especially against magblades they will suffer.
    magblade can't kill the warden due to shimmering.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    BohnT wrote: »

Then you can slot melee abilities. magblade maybe can't faceroll against shimmering, but that warden isn't also going to faceroll the magblade either. Its a fight already favoured for magblade.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on April 28, 2018 2:31PM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    May I introduce you to your lord and saviour the Werewolf?
    ;)

As a werewolf you´ll have both bleed-damage and defiles (if using Claws of Anguish, which you should since the other morph is bad for PvP) and that´s basically all you need. Use Piercing howl to stun the warden, just remember that piercing howl is considered a projectile and will be absorbed by shimmering shield, so don´t use it while shimmering is up.

Only thing you really need to look out for is the Subterranean Assault (poison damage) + Dawnbreaker combo, since it can basically one-shot you :D
    Edited by Qbiken on April 30, 2018 5:37AM
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Then you can slot melee abilities. magblade maybe can't faceroll against shimmering, but that warden isn't also going to faceroll the magblade either. Its a fight already favoured for magblade.

No its not. I play a meele magnb and you can't win that fight.
    Your main burst on a nb will always be will ---> shimmering wins
    Also your dot is ranged ---> shimmering wins

There is no way you can win on each of those specs unless the other one is brain damaged.

Bleedblade is the best counter as you still have cloak and shade but you can stack defiles and bleeds.
    That's a matchup which favours a class
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The counter will be the necromacer class released in a few patches...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade Cloak - This shuts down both "Subterranean Assault" and "Dawnbreaker of Smiting", It will be very hard to combo you to death if you reduce the damage by 25%.
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Blade Cloak - This shuts down both "Subterranean Assault" and "Dawnbreaker of Smiting", It will be very hard to combo you to death if you reduce the damage by 25%.

Leki's focus on top of it :)
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamblade and melee mageblade hard counter stam warden, destro mageblade and DoT builds soft counter it

Stam warden has no native answer for cloak or defile. Since it is so heavily based on healing defiles are particularly effective. Without a purge DoTs are also strong.

@BohnT you have to CC when shimmering isn’t up so you can land the will, but they can’t counter the defile on incap consistently and should struggle to get any reliable offense against you
    Edited by Lexxypwns on April 28, 2018 5:08PM
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Stamblade and melee mageblade hard counter stam warden, destro mageblade and DoT builds soft counter it

Stam warden has no native answer for cloak or defile. Since it is so heavily based on healing defiles are particularly effective. Without a purge DoTs are also strong.

@BohnT you have to CC when shimmering isn’t up so you can land the will, but they can’t counter the defile on incap consistently and should struggle to get any reliable offense against you

The issue here is that in order to get your full burst on your enemy you need to remove shimmering and instantly use incap+will afterwards as the warden will know that he has to keep it up all the time. With how you setup your bars the only ranged abilities you'll use to break shimmering on a meele magnb are on the backbar while incap and will are both on the mainbar.
    This means the warden has atleast 1 gcd where he can reapply shimmering before you are able to unleash your burst and even if you Land your full burst a heavy armor warden won't be one shotted by will + incap and you can't kill a warden through block with concealed and as you need the cc to hit will you can't break block with fear.

The warden won't be able to kill you either, he may get shalks + dawnbreaker on you but that's also not enough to kill the magnb.
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The issue here is that in order to get your full burst on your enemy you need to remove shimmering and instantly use incap+will afterwards as the warden will know that he has to keep it up all the time. With how you setup your bars the only ranged abilities you'll use to break shimmering on a meele magnb are on the backbar while incap and will are both on the mainbar.
    This means the warden has atleast 1 gcd where he can reapply shimmering before you are able to unleash your burst and even if you Land your full burst a heavy armor warden won't be one shotted by will + incap and you can't kill a warden through block with concealed and as you need the cc to hit will you can't break block with fear.

The warden won't be able to kill you either, he may get shalks + dawnbreaker on you but that's also not enough to kill the magnb.

You can just kill them without merciless. I do it all the time. Just conceal them to death.

One of my friends I can’t even fight him on a stamblade. He hits really hard and is extremely good. When he hops on a Stam Warden it no contest. I win every time.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Stam warden bars are setup in a similar manner, shimmering on back offense on front. Since shimmering has a 6 second duration and sub takes ~4 seconds to go off after using shimmering then bar swapping. This means if he uses a single ability after the sub explodes you can incap-will and his shimmering will be down when the bow lands.

But, because you can control the engagement on mageblade it’s a matchup where you control the fight, particularly after the first incap where he’s going to have to block and spam spores. It can be annoying, but you can turn his offensive windows against him and put him in a position he can’t recover from even if he drags the fight out for a bit after that moment

Only stamblade really makes an easy fight of stam warden, but both mageblade varieties can control those fights
    Edited by Lexxypwns on April 28, 2018 5:54PM
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Lexxypwns the magnb can defenitly control the fight but any decent stamwarden can stay alive in a 1v1 with OW builds involved. If we had that matchup in a optimised duel the magnb would defenitly have much better chances to win the fight.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lexxypwns the magnb can defenitly control the fight but any decent stamwarden can stay alive in a 1v1 with OW builds involved. If we had that matchup in a optimised duel the magnb would defenitly have much better chances to win the fight.

Yeah, I definitely agree, assuming similar skill.
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shield breaker works wonders on shimmering shield as well
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If that stamwarden is not running dual wield or not using reveal posions.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vampire's undeath is huge against any Stam build

DW Cloak is gonna mitigate two of their most powerful moves

Wardens have a 25m range limit, kiting is super effective

Defile is super effective
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »

DW stam warden doesn’t have a gap closer and is even easier to kill for NB
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He can have it on backbar but the reality is he doesnt need it that much. Also I wouldnt say it's easier to kill for magnb but magnb definietly is easier to kill for him since steel tornado is uncloakable and undodgable and also servers the role of execute.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

He can have it on backbar but the reality is he doesnt need it that much. Also I wouldnt say it's easier to kill for magnb but magnb definietly is easier to kill for him since steel tornado is uncloakable and undodgable and also servers the role of execute.

Even with full execute scaling and a crit, steel tornado does less damage than a healing ward protects, consider that the mageblade gets a heal upon casting healing ward and will have HoTs rolling it’s not really feasible to consistently beat him without a heal debuff. Particularly when he can kite so effectively.

If the stam warden is running reverb and a gap closer on a dw+SnB build then he either loses shimmering or ice fortress and losing either of those means he’s gonna lose a lot of survivability.

On mageblade I enjoy fighting stam wardens because I know they’ve got to really outplay me
    Edited by Lexxypwns on April 29, 2018 3:19AM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even with full execute scaling and a crit, steel tornado does less damage than a healing ward protects, consider that the mageblade gets a heal upon casting healing ward and will have HoTs rolling it’s not really feasible to consistently beat him without a heal debuff. Particularly when he can kite so effectively.

If the stam warden is running reverb and a gap closer on a dw+SnB build then he either loses shimmering or ice fortress and losing either of those means he’s gonna lose a lot of survivability.

On mageblade I enjoy fighting stam wardens because I know they’ve got to really outplay me

That is all ok but under 1 big "If' . Healing ward will protect mag nb IF stamden combo wont fire up at full ponential. With perfectly timed SA+cliff racer+DBoS+steel tornado with some luck on crits there will be no time for healing ward. The thing is yes mag nb can kite and survive forever if he decides to play that playstyle but he simply wont get kill on skilled stamden that way if we assume that stamden is prepared to fight mag nb. It's not like slotting shade solves every potential issue mag nb could have. What shade will give You if stamden will use reveal posion+shieldbreaker ? I am talking about poison that have 100% uptime on seeing someone even if he's using cloak. Problem with stamdens is simple there is not many skilled ones , most of them just relies on brainless survivality and copy-pasted builds but that doesnt change a fact good one with prepared setup wouldnt have any issue with killing mag nb or atleast mag nb wouldnt be able to kill him.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That is all ok but under 1 big "If' . Healing ward will protect mag nb IF stamden combo wont fire up at full ponential. With perfectly timed SA+cliff racer+DBoS+steel tornado with some luck on crits there will be no time for healing ward. The thing is yes mag nb can kite and survive forever if he decides to play that playstyle but he simply wont get kill on skilled stamden that way if we assume that stamden is prepared to fight mag nb. It's not like slotting shade solves every potential issue mag nb could have. What shade will give You if stamden will use reveal posion+shieldbreaker ? I am talking about poison that have 100% uptime on seeing someone even if he's using cloak. Problem with stamdens is simple there is not many skilled ones , most of them just relies on brainless survivality and copy-pasted builds but that doesnt change a fact good one with prepared setup wouldnt have any issue with killing mag nb or atleast mag nb wouldnt be able to kill him.

Yes, if the mageblade stands there and lets you combo them you MIGHT kill him before he CC breaks and uses a healing ward, at which point he can quickly reset the fight...

You don’t need cloak and you won’t hit enough light attacks without a gap closer to make shieldbreaker a threat.

2h stamden >>>> DW. DW stam warden is literally not a threat to mageblade at all.

I literally cannot remember losing to a stam warden on mageblade since like a week or two after Morrowind release
    Edited by Lexxypwns on April 29, 2018 4:08AM
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No not MagBlade, Shimmering.

StamBlade is what Wardens are weakest against. Nothing to counter Cloak, can't out run a gab closer, StamBlade Ulti squashes Warden self Heals.

That being said. If the StamBlades burst isn't enough once, it never will be. StamDK though can maintain the pressure and wear the Warden down. However the StamDK can't disengage the Warden when loosing, and the Warden can disengage the DK because of Major Expedition.
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• CaliMade
    CaliMade
    ✭✭✭✭
    So im pulling the stamblade out the closet then?

What about magplar? I was playing yesterday and was able to squash a few stam wardens with Purifying light>Meteor and a well timed total dark...
    Edited by CaliMade on April 29, 2018 2:15PM
    XB1 GT- Cali Made

Major Mag DK Dark Elf

• thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't kill a Stam warden as a magblade if they know what they are doing because of how tanky the class is combined with shimmering shield. As well as in CP PvP a heavy armor Stam warden will just brush off a incap. Melee magblade I feel is actually worse because in melee range you open yourself up to stuns like reverb which can get you caught in a combo as well as having no healing so you will be one-shotted. I guess technically you can keep teleporting on the warden to death and exploit his lack of a gap closer, but you will have the worse time actually killing them. This fight will end with the wardens other 4 warden friends zerging you down lol. I will say though in duels I either forfeit because the warden is turtle mode and I know we will fight forever, or I get a kill I've never lost a duel to a warden with a destro/magblade
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CaliMade wrote: »
    So im pulling the stamblade out the closet then?

What about magplar? I was playing yesterday and was able to squash a few stam wardens with Purifying light>Meteor and a well timed total dark...

Magplar lacks adequate CC to control a fight against a stam warden, you’ll have to build enough stam sustain to use reverb and cheese defile stacking. In addition their spammable snares them and requires melee range, while being much less threatening than the wardens own burst combo. Add to that the fact that stam warden burst mostly ignores block mitigation and you’ve got a negative matchup where the stam warden should control the fight. Of course magplar is notorious for being able to turtle and survive 1v1 so the stam warden might not be able to secure a kill either.

Honestly stam warden is a one trick pony offensively and if you can survive the burst combo consistently then you’ll be fine. The issue lies in killing them, for this you want DoTs(bleeds in particular), defile, and melee burst. Masters DW on stamblade is probably the absolute biggest threat to stam warden, followed by mageblade in Duroks, then masters DW stamplar
    Edited by Lexxypwns on April 29, 2018 3:07PM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You can't kill a Stam warden as a magblade if they know what they are doing because of how tanky the class is combined with shimmering shield. As well as in CP PvP a heavy armor Stam warden will just brush off a incap. Melee magblade I feel is actually worse because in melee range you open yourself up to stuns like reverb which can get you caught in a combo as well as having no healing so you will be one-shotted. I guess technically you can keep teleporting on the warden to death and exploit his lack of a gap closer, but you will have the worse time actually killing them. This fight will end with the wardens other 4 warden friends zerging you down lol. I will say though in duels I either forfeit because the warden is turtle mode and I know we will fight forever, or I get a kill I've never lost a duel to a warden with a destro/magblade

arent you the guy who said stamDK is a stamblade counter? You also called them ''unstoppable demigods'' and stuff.

Should you really give your opinions about this? I mean that kind of explains why you're so afraid of stamdens which is stamDk on steroids. Really I'm sorry but I just can't take you seriously.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on April 30, 2018 5:20AM