Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do people talk to people in TESO?

MaxBat
MaxBat
✭✭✭
I don't mean shout to the zone. You know: "I've got gold to sell .... MUWAHAHAHAHA!!!" 500 times 500. I mean, talk to the player next to you.

I like to RP and I see all these people running through the world. Running, not walking. Like the can't get to the next spot fast enough. Still, I've tried to talk to people but they don't respond - or they just run away. By talking, I mean speaking to them, not shouting to the zone. But either they don't get it or they just are interested in talking.

Does anyone else talk to people?
"Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Stoob
    Stoob
    ✭✭
    I have walked past a few groups of people talking to each other using "Say:", And I know what you mean about the whole not responding thing as I've tried chatting to a few myself.

Will be good when the game gets going properly and people have full blown conversations to each other without using Zones.
    An Eye For An Eye, Leaves The Whole World Blind.
  • Aeslyn_Grey
    Aeslyn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I talk to people. Some people notice the local /say chat, and some don't because they are busy looking at other things. I don't always notice the chat myself if I am concentrating on something else. Best bet is to join a good guild as well as talking to people in local chat.
  • dekkon2000b16_ESO
    without chat bubbles it can be hard.
  • Maeven
    Maeven
    Soul Shriven
    I've tried to, but I've experienced much the same. Most people aren't looking to chat, or are intimidated by the setup. Granted, I haven't played that many MMOs, but this one's chatbox doesn't seem very user friendly. With others I've been able to talk to a half dozen people/groups at once (personal tell, guild, group, etc), while TESO's chat has been difficult to navigate for me. Maybe I'm just not using it correctly?
  • Amiya
    Amiya
    I'll stop and chat to someone if they speak to me, but most times I don't try as a large percentage are focused on doing their quests or chatting in their group. Things will probably change a bit once the new release crush filters down, when people aren't scrambling so hard to climb the level ladder.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm hoping in a few weeks the "carnival" atmosphere in the starting areas will dissipate to something more manageable. If I see one more white horse running through town before I die it will be too soon ...

And I get people are busy with quests and whatever. I've even told people: "Nice armor, where did you get it?" and nothing.

• Stoob
    Stoob
    ✭✭
    To be fair, I keep missing the chat as the text fades out and I'm questing. So sometimes I don't even notice anyone talking until I finally decide to look.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I keep minimized, too - and all it takes is one big, burst of chat to wipe it clean. :(

The map is large enough that you can get lost on it and get away from some of the crowds, but really it's just insane right now. And that many people can intimidate others ...
    Edited by MaxBat on April 2, 2014 5:58AM

• DuhbAingeal
    I talk to people most times when there is a group near by and even when having a hard time with a specific quest. I have even helped others its the spamming and the yelling and the zone talking that keeps people form talking to each other.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone send me a tell or do an emote to me, I will stop and talk. I do not always see the person who wants to talk with me. Also, join a guild is good way to find follow RP'ers -- like Power of the Black Paw (shameless plug o:) ) Once we know if someone wants to RP, we will do it say, tell, guild or party chat. We also do PVE, crafting and PVP content.
    Edited by k9mouse on April 2, 2014 5:59AM
  • ArielleJureaux
    ArielleJureaux
    ✭✭✭
    I am new to MMOs and I don't yet understand how to use chat. The chat box does not stay up long enough, for one, and I really just don't know how to use it. Is there any kind of tutorial or guide that I could read that explains how to navigate chat? I tried asking a question in zone chat, and nobody would answer me. I was wondering if maybe they could not read my text or if they really were ignoring me.
    This is my first, ever, MMO, so any help would be welcome.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its only been a few days, have faith, once people are more comfortable with eso and the lifestyle im sure more conversations will arise. good times are ahead :)
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    @ k9mouse: Okay, you have my attention. :smile:

I've played every TESO game going back to Morrowind and my first playthough has always been a Khajiit. Wow, I was happy when Skryim made the Khajiit look awesome. My current character is a Wood Elf - first time in four games - but I've been thinking I need a Khajiit

• Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I walk every once and awhile, including in the wilderness. I've had some players running in my direction, whom stop and then run to me. After a moment of watching me walk, they then run away. Probably thought I was an NPC from a distance.

I try to mix it up, but in general, you need to run if you want to actually complete most activities in a normal time-span. I mean, it's a big game you know. As for chatting, I always try to reply when someone talks directly to me. If I don't, it's because I fail to notice the chat.
    Edited by Lord_Hev on April 2, 2014 6:09AM
    Neqamancer | Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Graxixth
    Graxixth
    No chat bubbles is the problem for sure. I never look at my chat window unless I need something, which will cause me to miss people trying to talk to me. As for RP.. I like to RP but its kinda weird when mixed on a mega server with non RPers. However, I did hear a guildie in TS saying he just passed some RPers in a tavern.

• Judge_Mental_One
    I personally often get "tunnel vision" while out questing or gathering. Sometimes unknown large quantities of time are spent without so much as a sideways glance at the chat. I do generally respond if I notice someone talking to me though.
  • Mirkz
    Mirkz
    Soul Shriven
    I've thanked people for things and they're responded saying no worries etc. I've not come across anyone wanting to really have a good old chat. Whether or not I'd stop to talk would really depend on whether I'm feeling lonely in game and have nowhere else to be, or if I'm on my way to do this or that or a quest etc.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    @ Graxixth: Yes, the lack of a chat bubble is a problem. RPing is not for everyone - I get that - and some people just find it annoying.

• Stoob
    Stoob
    ✭✭
    To be fair, If you don't want to see the "Zone" section, You can always disable "Zone" and enable only the ones you want. You can also create a new section for certain chats. (i.e. Guild, Group, Local, Etc.)

To do this, All you have to do is:

While playing the game, Use the "." (Default) button,
    Click the small Cog at the top right of the chat box.

You can edit a few things in there. (i.e. Zone/Area text colour, Which Zone/Area you want to see in the chat box)
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    @Stroob: Thanks for that! I had no idea I could do that ...

• Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If I see it in the chat window, I'll respond. If I'm actively doing something then there's a good chance I won't notice.

That said, I do not want or like chat bubbles at all. I find them extremely jarring, and I try to ignore them anyway when they are present.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    MaxBat wrote: »
    I don't mean shout to the zone. You know: "I've got gold to sell .... MUWAHAHAHAHA!!!" 500 times 500. I mean, talk to the player next to you.

I like to RP and I see all these people running through the world. Running, not walking. Like the can't get to the next spot fast enough. Still, I've tried to talk to people but they don't respond - or they just run away. By talking, I mean speaking to them, not shouting to the zone. But either they don't get it or they just are interested in talking.

No chat bubbles, nothing to grab your attention, most people are looking at their character and their screen and surroundings, not the chat box besides there's so much spam and talk in there it's hard to keep up with it.

This has happened to me before...somebody asking me for help even calling my name and they were beside me jumping up and down trying to get my attention but I figured it was just somebody acting silly so I went on my way.

I didn't realize anything until a few minutes later when there was no chat and all of a sudden I got a whisper telling me that "I'm rude" and I asked why and he told me to scroll up and sure enough there he was asking me, would have been easier to just see the bubble above his head to grab my attention....

There is nothing at all wrong with chat bubbles if it's able to be toggled off/on.
  • Stoob
    Stoob
    ✭✭
    @Stroob: Thanks for that! I had no idea I could do that ...

No problem, I only found out about the "." from a load screen tip,
    And I found the cog by mistake. Lol.

• k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    when the chat window is minimized, it will glow bright color when u have a message. I keep my chat window close most of the time, I am getting used seeing that glow from edge of my eye now. I not like chat windows and I do not want them either.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have actually made quite a few friends in the game already, yes.
  • TheGodless1
    TheGodless1
    ✭✭✭

Like someone else stated, I don't pay attention to the chat if I can help it. I use voice chat only and have for the past 10 years. So often I forget to look at chat. Sometimes it's just to avoid the kindergarten conversations that take place from time to time. Plus with all the spamming lately it's tough to bring myself to keep looking at it. From time to time I do try to look and see if anyone has a question that I might have the answer to and try to help them. Then again I'm not into RP...I just don't get that style of play. I like that other people do it...it's just not for me. I run from location to location due to trying to get to as many nodes as possible so I can keep my crafting commensurate with my levels (not with much success mind you). It's not to ignore those like you. Perhaps now I will be more mindful of this in the future. My words never come out right in written text or typed text anyhow. It always comes across as mean-spirited. So voice chat is better for someone like me who isn't exactly a social butterfly. I hope this might help explain at least one side of it for you. Your question definitely makes me want to be more aware now, so thank you!
  • lioslinn
    lioslinn
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to modern MMOs, where everyone is on a shared world... playing alone. :\ I might just be cynical but after 10 years of MMOs there is definitely a downward trend on social playing. People just want to level and run around doing quests. Older games were less organized so often you had no choice but to actually *gasp* talk to the people around you to get stuff done. But modern games are soooo efficient - cannot waste a second of the player`s attention! - that it`s completely removed the social aspect of the game.

There are so many MMOs out there now that the big titles are stepping over each other to keep you busy with quests, rewards, fights etc while holding your hand, conveniently guiding you from one objective to the next.

I don`t know what the solution is, I also try to just walk around and talk to people but yes most times people just run off. Chat bubbles would definitely help. But beyond that I don`t know what the solution is. I miss long ingame conversations and sharing the wonder with other people.
    reality.sys corrupted-reboot universe [y/n] _
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I'm focusing on quest voiceover dialogue I don't want someone bothering me in chat so I just minimize the chat window or make a blank one to hide the main chat.
  • SpasticSpringbok
    I have the same problem as the OP, i talk to people in /say and get no response they all just run away, I keep thinking most of them are ignorant or just dont know how to read chat!!

I'd love to meet up with people who actually talk to one another and i dont mean stand on each end of the island having a conversation in zone chat, i mean face to face -or in the immediate vicinity!

PS If you want to talk to someone and actually get a reply in /say look out for the LOCKHART 'family'.
    Edited by SpasticSpringbok on April 2, 2014 7:22AM
  • cwolfe702b14_ESO
    Personally there is so much junk in say and area chat that I just made a window for what I need. Which is mainly guild, tells, group, and such.