Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How about some solo "high danger" areas?

Dreepa
Dreepa
✭✭✭
So we currently have easy going content, and non-solo content that can be a challenge.
But what I am always missing is a bit of a high danger area. Something where the game warns you about. Kind of Dark Souls goes ESO.
Most games offer a "peak difficulty" thing. They call it nightmare, hardcore, whatever. Or games like Diablo/XCOM that even offer iron man mode stuff.
Okay, iron man mode is nothing for an MMO, but still, just mentioning it as a general philosophy.

In ESO I would totally love to see some solo hardcore stuff. Maybe upscaled and re-used dwelves or something. A place where you go, and you never know whats going to happen. Dynamic spawning, not predictable. Random boss behavior. Traps spawning on different places.
And maybe even some pseudo iron man mode that can be optionally enabled for some extra achievement / goodies. Like, you have 1 try per day. If you die, you can try again next day.

• platonicidealgirlfriend
    vMA or solo IC?
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IC in a populated campaign during prime time is definitely Dark Soul-ish content.

Unless you mean specifically PvE, in which case, there are some in Craglorn, like Skyreach Hold/Catacombs/Pinnacle, Shada's Tear, etc.

They're not supposed to be done solo, but they're softcore group content (little less challenging than vMA, but still fun to do).

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that, but keep in mind that unless it's instanced, it's not going to be very popular.

Remember what happened to Craglorn.

Edited by Aisle9 on April 16, 2018 10:10AM
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    World boss leader board!

How fast a person can take it down!
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can try to run vMA or various vetaran group dungeons solo. Some of the Craglorn instances are a bit challenging to solo as well: Shada's Tear and Rani-za School have some really hard hitting bosses where you need to block, dodge or outheal very high incoming damage.
    Edited by Asardes on April 16, 2018 10:17AM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • NevoX
    NevoX
    ✭✭
    Agreed, please give the mobs a fighting chance, almost everything is soloable. Few WB's in Vardenfell can give you a challenge but besides that you need to do vMSA for the umpf'ed time or solo som vet dungeons.

Mobs havent been given a boost, since One Tamriel nerfed them to the ground.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but I do miss the times where you actually needed friends for more than vDLC dungeons and Trails.
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NevoX wrote: »
    Agreed, please give the mobs a fighting chance, almost everything is soloable. Few WB's in Vardenfell can give you a challenge but besides that you need to do vMSA for the umpf'ed time or solo som vet dungeons.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but I do miss the times where you actually needed friends for more than vDLC dungeons and Trails.

Problem is that the forum's population is only a tiny fraction of the game's pop, and easier overland was more popular.

Craglorn used to be this impossible zone for most PvE-solo/quester players and was pretty much deserted until they nerfed it with One Tamriel.

Some of us liked it as it was, but the majority of the player base appreciated the change.

Harder content needs to be instanced, so random players can't happen upon it by chance.

Also, keep in mind that introducing "harder content" means a lot of people will complain about the lack of accessibility for the casual players, especially if it's overland.

It's not as easy as it looks like.
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)

#SpellswordArmy

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mobs weren't really nerfed in One Tamriel. In fact if you progressed through the areas in the intended manner you would have probably been 5-6 levels above them, so they should have in fact felt easier.Of course, you could have gone straight in your alliance 5th area and fought mobs several levels above you for a challenge, but that was artificial. As far as I remember those even had a dodge chance against you. I leveled 4 characters back then and it's how I remember it. If they made all overland enemies more challenging, the vast majority of players will be put off. For the better ones it would simply feel tedious, just like Craglorn felt before One Tamriel, when you beat for minutes on 3 wasps because they had 1M HP each.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Mobs weren't really nerfed in One Tamriel. In fact if you progressed through the areas in the intended manner you would have probably been 5-6 levels above them, so they should have in fact felt easier.Of course, you could have gone straight in your alliance 5th area and fought mobs several levels above you for a challenge, but that was artificial. As far as I remember those even had a dodge chance against you. I leveled 4 characters back then and it's how I remember it. If they made all overland enemies more challenging, the vast majority of players will be put off. For the better ones it would simply feel tedious, just like Craglorn felt before One Tamriel, when you beat for minutes on 3 wasps because they had 1M HP each.

The delves were fun, tho

#SpellswordArmy

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aisle9 wrote: »

The delves were fun, tho

They only changed some of those. A few have remained the same. The one with Lamias, WWs and one with a few Dwemer robots at the end are moderately hard.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Riggsy
    Riggsy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Craglorn used to be like that, highly enjoyable to solo back in the day.
    MMAGA - We Made Medium Armor Great Again
    Evasion: Casting this ability and its morphs now requires that you wear 5 pieces of Medium Armor.

Woe Biden - Mule
    Donald Thump - Mule
    M'aiq Pence - Mule
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I remember those even had a dodge chance against you. I leveled 4 characters back then and it's how I remember it.

Those 'good old' v1-v12 Spellscar grinding hours/days ;)
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    IC in a populated campaign during prime time is definitely Dark Soul-ish content.

Unless you mean specifically PvE, in which case, there are some in Craglorn, like Skyreach Hold/Catacombs/Pinnacle, Shada's Tear, etc.

They're not supposed to be done solo, but they're softcore group content (little less challenging than vMA, but still fun to do).

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that, but keep in mind that unless it's instanced, it's not going to be very popular.

Wandering world bosses wouldnt really be craglorn 2.0
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Few WB's in Vardenfell can give you a challenge...

You know, most people actually do need groups for those things. And a lot of the other WBs.

(Meanwhile, at the lower end of the spectrum, while doing the Valley of Scars dailies in Craglorn two days ago, I saw someone dying to.... a group of three overland wasps.)
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game used to be like this.

Then ZOS wanted more money so just like every previous TES game they dumbed it down for the general public. More normies play the more crowns get bought.

Cater to you life long fans before you lose us
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I would actually like some real danger to our Vestige.

There's nothing they can't stop without any difficulty. Planemeld, King Kurog, Nocturnal, Barbas ... I'd really like to see something that is difficult to overcome. Be this a solo difficult area, or just something.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Dreepa
    Dreepa
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it must be shielded from casuals that is for sure. Should not be even accessible before CP 200 or something.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just take your sets off, don't use food and reset CPs to 0. Here you are, enjoy the hard mode. Not hard enough? Quit weapon swapping. Want even harder? Use only light and heavy attacks.
    Edited by myskyrim26 on April 16, 2018 3:57PM
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game used to be like this.

Then ZOS wanted more money so just like every previous TES game they dumbed it down for the general public. More normies play the more crowns get bought.

Cater to you life long fans before you lose us

I think they have the data to determine whom is best to cater to and their actions show this.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You can try to run vMA or various vetaran group dungeons solo. Some of the Craglorn instances are a bit challenging to solo as well: Shada's Tear and Rani-za School have some really hard hitting bosses where you need to block, dodge or outheal very high incoming damage.

I'm not even that awesome but I can solo with ease anything in Craglorn except for the last boss of the rifts (not the red crystal ones I can solo those relatively easily). Those take time and good awareness and especially resource management.
    Edited by Mureel on April 16, 2018 4:04PM
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is already a solo high threat area, its called Imperial City!
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solo World boss? vMA? Solo vet dungeons? Solo IC? There are already plenty of harder contents. If I'm in the mood for challenging myself I'd do them, but if I'm on a hurry and just want to pick up a dozen surveys for crafting I don't want to fight my way though 5 mini bosses, 3 big bosses and hundreds of mobs for 2 hours. I have more interesting things to play like dungeon with friends, roleplay, make outfit... and little time to play.
    Edited by TheDarkShadow on April 16, 2018 4:17PM
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're bored of vMA then solo nDSA is fun. Easier but still fun.
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I still remember my tears the first time when I went to Shada's Tear. It was awesome experience.
    Because I can!
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thannazzar wrote: »
    He’s looking for a difficult solo PvE area, with dynamic spawning and other interesting mechanics. Imperial City is PvP.

In the past I would have agreed with you. There was a time when Imperial City *was* difficult, but all of the mobs were drastically nerfed into typical zone enemies.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem isn't one of casual versus hardcore, nor even one really of elite players over-equipped with BiS gear for overland content. The problem is that the overland content is intended for characters that are leveling up - and doing so for the first time - so that it is still perfectly challenging for most of those players while being a stroll in the park for veteran players leveling up their umpteenth alt with decent gear, food and potions, hundreds upon hundreds of champion points, and a full working knowledge of animation canceling and every other trick in the book. There's plenty of content for such veteran players, but this isn't intended to be part of it.

By all means let's have extra content for those players, whether in the form of dungeons or separate instances of the overland areas (although a thinly spread population would then trigger the next complaint, not to mention dire claims that the game was dying etc), but please don't ask for normal leveling areas to be tailored to veteran players with all the benefits that go with their experience and knowledge of the game.
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    Thannazzar wrote: »
    He’s looking for a difficult solo PvE area, with dynamic spawning and other interesting mechanics. Imperial City is PvP.

In the past I would have agreed with you. There was a time when Imperial City *was* difficult, but all of the mobs were drastically nerfed into typical zone enemies.

Yep its the nightblade gank squads that mak it dangerous!
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Difficulty slider please... it seems like the easiest solution.
    The game is already scaling to you so you can just negatively scale yourself.

Or perhaps some NPC that gives you a potion that nerfs you like that quest in Hissmir (which was so hard the first time I did it)
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's called vMA, friend.
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem is that the forum's population is only a tiny fraction of the game's pop, and easier overland was more popular.

Craglorn used to be this impossible zone for most PvE-solo/quester players and was pretty much deserted until they nerfed it with One Tamriel.

Some of us liked it as it was, but the majority of the player base appreciated the change.

Harder content needs to be instanced, so random players can't happen upon it by chance.

Also, keep in mind that introducing "harder content" means a lot of people will complain about the lack of accessibility for the casual players, especially if it's overland.

It's not as easy as it looks like.

I see where you’re coming from, but honestly it’s not fair to say players wanted Craglorn changed because it was too tough. It’s much more complicated than that (at least on console... idk about PC).

It takes a loooooong time to clear ESO’s quest content, and there are so many other things to do (PvE Dungeons, Delves, PvP, etc). So much content. All of it rewarding and interesting the whole way through as you progressed at your own pace, uncaring about how long it would take for you to become truly strong.

Then there was this zone called Craglorn.

And in Craglorn:
    1. Delves have arbitrary player requirements to progress which people hated. Individuals cannot run Delves.
    2. The main quest revolves around arbitrary and very difficult group content, which no one was ready for or wanted to do for a zone’s main quest. Immediate turn off from that zone as a whole. Can’t do main quest alone and the Celestials were only fightable if you ran 12-player trials.
    3. Enemies being difficult felt really interesting, but gave barely any XP. Total waste of time.
    Keep in mind, this was during a time when *V16 was in place*, so getting very little XP was immediately a massive turn off from anything in that zone. Vet ranks were only removed with the Dark Brotherhood update - One Tamriel came the very next patch and changed Craglorn to what it is today.

The point is, Craglorn was the only zone with enormous incentives to avoid it, on top of the fact that only players who cared to reach endgame in the first place would even consider entering it to begin with. The difficulty itself was refreshing, even if some players disliked it. It gave a feeling that a zone existed which players should fear, which is a cool thing imo. Remove XP gains and add in arbitrary group requirements to quests/Delves all throughout Reaper’s March and let’s see how many people play there.

Hopefully one day ZOS will add in a “Veteran” version of each zone you could load into rather than the usual ones, as a way to give people who want it a challenge. It’s sad that vMA is the only truly difficult (also boring) solo content, with group dungeons being the only true alternative.