Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Population Numbers for campaigns

Moosey27
Moosey27
✭✭
I never understood the population bars for campaigns, when it's not hard to code a population number for the campaign. please fix this. the bar system is probably the *** system on the planet. I can say ***, because this game is rated M.
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL at the asterisks

In my own experience, bars are not accurate and the head-count they represent has not always been the same value. YMMV.
    PS4NA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS uses the bars because that way they can obfuscate the exact number of players active on a campaign for two big reasons:

1. Its demoralizing enough to look at yourfaction at 2 bars when the others are poplocked. Can you imagine how bad it'd be if we could see the numbers. Plus, everyone would always be all "We're outnumbered, OMG so-and-so is flooding the campaign!"

2. That way we don't look at it and go "Wow, that's not as many as I thought. ZOS, seriously, the lag and loading screens is killing PVP. Look at how few players we have now!"
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't fully get why it matters. Why do you need to know alliance levels? Just get on and join the fight

If you want the full on fight its Vivec, if you into 7 days its Shor, if you prefer no CP its Shor and noobs or noob bashers is Kyne.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Emothic
    Emothic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZoS doesn't care about Campaigns because theiy don't make any money from it. That's why the servers and gameplay has been garabage since day 1 of game release. And they will never do anything to fix it cause they will never make any money off ofit.
    Lord Emothic Von Hellsing of ze Hellsing Family.
    Dragon Knight of the Ebonheart Pact. Xbox One - NA
  • antihero727
    antihero727
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let’s just look at the numbers as of 3/22/2018 in population. Most people think the campaign cap is around 120 per faction. On a pop locked prime time Friday we have 360 in Vivec with a 60 q each faction is 540. Shore is usually 3 bar each which is around 300. The other campaign are around 300 between them. That is roughly 1140 players in an AAA mmo playing pvp in primetime. That’s why zos doesn’t care about pvp anymore. Imo 1140 is being generous.

I wrote this a few weeks ago and it’s still a valid point.
    Veldrn-AD Magica Sorc
    Bizarro Veldrn-AD Stam Sorc
    Antiherro-AD Stam DK
    Antihero-AD Magplar
    Aww Crit-AD Magblade
    AD Since PC beta
    On A lag free vacation
    for the near and far future
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Let’s just look at the numbers as of 3/22/2018 in population. Most people think the campaign cap is around 120 per faction. On a pop locked prime time Friday we have 360 in Vivec with a 60 q each faction is 540. Shore is usually 3 bar each which is around 300. The other campaign are around 300 between them. That is roughly 1140 players in an AAA mmo playing pvp in primetime. That’s why zos doesn’t care about pvp anymore. Imo 1140 is being generous.

There are typically over 10K players using Steam to log in on any given night. That doesn't count the number of players using the launcher instead of Steam.

So... if they have 20K or more concurrent players and only 1100 of them are PVPers, what incentive is there to support PVP more than a token amount?

Welp, we know what that looks like now.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is for ps4/na - vivec...i have characters on each alliance...

generally I'll hit 100 to 200k per character and rank anywhere from 1,500 to 2,500 on each alliance...

of course many players have multiple characters in the campaign within a single alliance and across factions...

let's guess about 3,000 to 3,500 characters participate in the 30 day campaign for each faction...around 9,000 total characters...

take a guess and say a third of the players have multiple characters...

so possibly 6,000 different players participate monthly in cyrodiil on that particular map...

add in those only playing in kyne, shor, and sotha sil (maybe a couple thousand), and, there are probably anywhere from 7 to 10 thousand pvpers on out platform/server each month...

just a guess :)
    Edited by geonsocal on April 5, 2018 9:24PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm not sure we can count players who come in to get Vigor or try to complete quests/delves/skyshards in Cyrodiil as active PvP players.

Take a character, drop them in their home campaign, play for 3 hours and see how far up the "ranks" that character has moved. You may have moved up 1000 or more, meaning that 1000 players on that faction gave up (or got what they needed) after less than 3 hours spent in a 30 day campaign.

If ZOS doesn't care about campaigns because they aren't seeing a lot of participation from the broad player base, I'd propose that we're perhaps confusing cause and effect. Perhaps the lack of participation is a result of neglect, not a cause.

I know some changes are coming with the next update, and that's good. I also feel no other game delivers the rush and experience that ESO does on a fully populated campaign. But I also feel an opportunity has been lost due to lack of new content in PvP/Cyrodiil and it's going to be really hard to draw those players back to the game.
    PS4NA
  • MinarasLaure
    MinarasLaure
    ✭✭✭✭

120 per faction seems a bit low to me.
    In sotha sil (pc na) we rarely reach 2 bars and there are 3 full groups running.
    Not saying cap is 300 per faction but still...
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are typically over 10K players using Steam to log in on any given night. That doesn't count the number of players using the launcher instead of Steam.

So... if they have 20K or more concurrent players and only 1100 of them are PVPers, what incentive is there to support PVP more than a token amount?

Welp, we know what that looks like now.

On the other hand, number of concurrent players in campaigns is not number of PvPers, just like number of concurrent players is not number of players. Also, for all we know, 1000 concurrent players in campaigns may still me more than number of concurrent players in any other game element, e.g. any particular dungeon, or even dungeons generally.
    Not to say ZOS cares, it does not, but it may have other reasons. For example, sheer amount of cash shop mounts and wardens in Cyrodiil suggests that PvPers spend rather well, even though ZOS does not give a !@#$%^, so why should it?
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They may not make much from pvp, but I pvp and am subbed, so technically they make money from pvp players.

They just choose to not use that revenue for the benefit of pvp.