Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What Is The Deal With Lame Crown Store Items?

Yzalirk
Yzalirk
✭✭✭✭
So...

What is the deal with newly added Crown Store items being so lame? I feel like ZOS adds things that nobody asks for.

Let me elaborate further. A lot of the newly added things seem to be costumes. Why are they not as cool as the Telvanni Wizard armor costume they added a while back? Why the lame rags? I really have not seen anything that really caught my attention in so long.

Personally, I want more hair and facial hair. I enjoy seeing my hero’s face. If they added Jorunn’s hair and beard as well Sai Sahan’s beard, I would throw some dosh their way. Hell, even some new braided beards and hair styles would be nice. My ideal character would look like Jorunn.

Lastly, what is the point of the wishlist thread? Is it there for false hope?

-Yzalirk
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I too have been a bit underwhelmed with the general crown store items as of late, but even though I don't particularly like the recent month's showcases, I like that they focus on "Cultural" and other commonplace type outfits as opposed to "Epic" armor and crazy sets all the time. Really cool for roleplayers. I'm also a bit boring in the sense that all the crazy ass mounts radiating flames and all that never have done anything for me. I love the immersive believable mounts, something not many people share, so I get I'm kind of in the minority on that. I'm probably one of the only people who won one of those Apex reward Flame Atronach Horse Mounts from my free crate and didn't want it lol.

I would love to see some more new ideas with "Mounts" then just "What kind of crazy ass particles and effects can we apply to the core group of Wolf/Camel/Guar/Horse/Tiger this time?" I'd love to see a "Cart" mount, where you're seated in like a Merchant's cart or something being pulled by a Horse/Guar. I'd also like to see a "Magic" mount, where instead of an animal it's you levitating/hovering or something to that effect.

One thing I do agree on big time is more facial hair options. Would love to see them add a variety of more beards. Not even just the huge crazy ones like you listed but also just more basic ones in general. Some more variants of nice, full and sculpted beards would be appreciated. The current "Boar's Nest" is the only moderately full, but not obnoxiously big beard we have atm, and I'm not a huge fan of it.

But I I think with Summerset coming out, I think we'll see alot of really cool stuff especially for Mage/Arcane oriented characters. Can't wait to see some of this chapter's new costumes/motifs/houses.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yzalirk wrote: »
    They seem to listen to what people want. I once requested a white goat pet in that thread, and they later released one (although it was in the crown crates). I was grateful, though. I've occasionally seen other things that were requested in that thread by other people, that later got released.

• JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because the good ones are in the Crown Crate.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JWKe wrote: »
    Because the good ones are in the Crown Crate.

This.

They have moved everything good to the scam crates, to force people who wants cosmetics to gamble and pay much more money for the desired item, instead of buying legitimatelly and directly in the crown store for a fixed price. Even during the first two scam crate seasons we had nice monthly items in the store. Now we have almost nothing, and the things we get in the store are time-limited offers. Why couldn´t we have everything that´s been released in the store all the time? Wouldn´t that create income?
    It seems it wouldn´t create it. Or ZOS is just plainly robbing the clients with this untrustful market model.
    Edited by TelvanniWizard on March 27, 2018 12:44PM
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    They seem to listen to what people want. I once requested a white goat pet in that thread, and they later released one (although it was in the crown crates). I was grateful, though. I've occasionally seen other things that were requested in that thread by other people, that later got released.

That seems reasonable though, all things considered. Goats are already an asset in game and can be given a reskin. This seems to be the trend with ZOS. I have no problem with it that much because sometimes the more simpler things are better. If they could add Jorunn’s hair and beard as well as Sai Sahan’s beard, I would be beyond satisfied... including new similar looking items.
  • BloodWolfe
    BloodWolfe
    ✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned already, the lame crown shop offerings are to push people to spend their life savings on scam crates for a minuscule chance at the actual good stuff. ZO$ has lost my money forever, never spending another dime on this game and this shady company! They are now tied with EA in my books and I haven't purchased anything EA in over a decade so ZO$ is now right there with EA. I'll play as a free customer and never again spend anything on this game.
  • Pwoo
    Pwoo
    ✭✭✭
    Not only do we have to gamble in order to get something we might not even get but we are also forced to keep any collectibles we will never use (bad masks, hats, face tattoos etc.) - since there's no way to turn them into gems or destroy them. Also limited-time offers are still the biggest scam ever but hey, someone has to pay for the servers, right?
    PC EU - @Pwooo in game - chronic crafting writ doer
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can fix the apparently broken legs of mounts by turning off the Foot Inverse Kinectics.

Oh, you meant the "not cool" meaning of lame.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can't make everything appeal to everyone each month.

Also I am with others in thinking it's nice to have some "normal" things added rather than the normal cash shop route of only flashy crazy items.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the Moon Sugar Festival Suit. It has a tail ribbon for the Khajit and Argonians.

But most months I am underwhelmed by the crown store showcase and the limited time gimmicks, knowing they will just put all that stuff in the crates later along with other items that will never appear for direct sale.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me there hasn't been anything interesting ether in the crown store or in the "evil" crates since, hmm, a long time.
    I am not a fan of mounts "farting" beams or rays....Or costumes that, in my opinion, ruin the immersion for me. lol

I like the apex mounts in this crate season though..maybe because they're not "flashy" whatever. If I hadn't gotten a sweetroll in my free crates I wouldn't have gotten my wolf though...so I guess I can call myself lucky
    The other content in the crates is mehhhh...

I liked the Brotherhood Cave "house"... but there's no way I would pay that much money for the fun to spend more in-game-currency to just decorate it.

PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Respect4Elders
    Respect4Elders
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found that with costumes and hats ZO$ appears to purposefully give them wack colors to force you to buy an ESO+ subscription to get them to be the color most people would have wanted in the first place. E.g., blue jean colored Christmas hats. Some of the ugly costumes aren't so bad once you re-dye them.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If they moved the good stuff into the crown crates... why are the current lot of crates so... meh, I mean we have had junk crate seasons before, but never as pointless as this one
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found that with costumes and hats ZO$ appears to purposefully give them wack colors to force you to buy an ESO+ subscription to get them to be the color most people would have wanted in the first place. E.g., blue jean colored Christmas hats. Some of the ugly costumes aren't so bad once you re-dye them.

I assure you these hats dye awwfully even with eso plus too. There's no way to get the recent ones from the crown crates black...just washed off gray, seriously!
    I think other players can confirm.
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

Also I am with others in thinking it's nice to have some "normal" things added rather than the normal cash shop route of only flashy crazy items.

This seems like a blind defence of ZoS. Items offered in the crown store have suffered hugely since the introduction of the crown crates.

I get so angry reading these threads because I can't agree enough 9/10 with the OP. The crown crates are an embarrassment aimed at taking advantage of peoples impulses and weaknesses. I read somewhere on here that someone bought 250 crown crates, Thats not a kick in the arse off $600 (if bought in lumps of 5,500). Regardless of someones financial standing that is a very unhealthy amount to spend on something which gives you no financial return.
    Anyway, these threads leave me so pissed off at Zenimax that I do just want to vote with my feet and cancel my sub. The problem I have though, is that barring the CC it is such an enjoyable game set in a universe I really like. Its just a shame that the CC makes up such a considerable portion of the store offerings.

back on topic,

There is a legitimate moral objection to crown crates due to the gambling element. ZoS should be offering the the same experience in the crownstore prior to the CC release IMO. Pissing off the player base isn't a smart thing to do. I've noticed the quality in cosmetics has really went down hill.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Discord_Days
    Discord_Days
    ✭✭✭
    I too feel the selection is quite "stale" and I didn't buy any crowns lately at all.

I tried "scam crates" once, but never again after that. I hope they vanish from the game and that this kind of gambling will be banned from the industry by legislation.

Back to the crown store; what I'd like most and what would make me buy crowns again would be new hairstyles! I still don't understand why there are so many different kinds of dreadlocks, almost as if someone loves Bob Marley badly or something among the developers.
    Give us more proper hairstyles! :(
  • Respect4Elders
    Respect4Elders
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    duendology wrote: »

I assure you these hats dye awwfully even with eso plus too. There's no way to get the recent ones from the crown crates black...just washed off gray, seriously!
    I think other players can confirm.

Agreed. Then there's always some part of the costume you thought you'd be able to die that you can't.
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I am more than willing to throw crowns at the game like I do in other MMOs, but very rarely is there anything worth buying (even in the crates).
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So...

What is the deal with newly added Crown Store items being so lame? I feel like ZOS adds things that nobody asks for.

The items sell, so there is demand for them.
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    So...

The items sell, so there is demand for them.

Of course they sell when they are new. I honestly have no clue who would buy certain items other than collectors and role players. Some things seem almost like gimmicks; they are just there for the comedic value.
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if everyone saw the new items for the month but they seem rather disappointing.

The only interesting things I guess are the polymorph and the ghost horse, if you are into that.

I have no opinion on the house and the decorations as I feel they are the most useless wastes of money in the game.

The hat and costume are just disgusting. They are the epitome of what no one asks for. The pet seems unoriginal as it is just the bone dragon with some glowing spots. It should have been like that originally. Also, of all motifs, the Hlaalu one? Really? I think it should have been Ebony because that is much harder to get.

What do you guys think?
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vehlir wrote: »
    I too have been a bit underwhelmed with the general crown store items as of late, but even though I don't particularly like the recent month's showcases, I like that they focus on "Cultural" and other commonplace type outfits as opposed to "Epic" armor and crazy sets all the time. Really cool for roleplayers. I'm also a bit boring in the sense that all the crazy ass mounts radiating flames and all that never have done anything for me. I love the immersive believable mounts, something not many people share, so I get I'm kind of in the minority on that. I'm probably one of the only people who won one of those Apex reward Flame Atronach Horse Mounts from my free crate and didn't want it lol.

I would love to see some more new ideas with "Mounts" then just "What kind of crazy ass particles and effects can we apply to the core group of Wolf/Camel/Guar/Horse/Tiger this time?" I'd love to see a "Cart" mount, where you're seated in like a Merchant's cart or something being pulled by a Horse/Guar. I'd also like to see a "Magic" mount, where instead of an animal it's you levitating/hovering or something to that effect.

One thing I do agree on big time is more facial hair options. Would love to see them add a variety of more beards. Not even just the huge crazy ones like you listed but also just more basic ones in general. Some more variants of nice, full and sculpted beards would be appreciated. The current "Boar's Nest" is the only moderately full, but not obnoxiously big beard we have atm, and I'm not a huge fan of it.

But I I think with Summerset coming out, I think we'll see alot of really cool stuff especially for Mage/Arcane oriented characters. Can't wait to see some of this chapter's new costumes/motifs/houses.

I find the particle effects generally quite ugly looking in mounts. Maybe I should check my settings, as I have change particle effects in some dungeons, but I think I have it on the better looking setting. The blue spew trailing behind some mounts seems like they have some really bad digestive issue. The Summerset preorder mount is super awkward. I prefer the basic horses even over that mount.

Granted, I'm not their audience as I would never spend a cent on a mount skin, a costume, or hair/tattoos. But a rag costume seems like it would be great for a role player as it would add new possibilities.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not everything is going to appeal to everyone.

Over the years there have been items in the crown store that people go nuts over and I'm like lolwtf is that. Other times it's the opposite.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if everyone saw the new items for the month but they seem rather disappointing.

The only interesting things I guess are the polymorph and the ghost horse, if you are into that.

I have no opinion on the house and the decorations as I feel they are the most useless wastes of money in the game.

The hat and costume are just disgusting. They are the epitome of what no one asks for. The pet seems unoriginal as it is just the bone dragon with some glowing spots. It should have been like that originally. Also, of all motifs, the Hlaalu one? Really? I think it should have been Ebony because that is much harder to get.

What do you guys think?

I think they've been dumping Argonian Costumes because they are slowly but surely cannibalizing Murkmire assets.
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i will be getting the ghost horse. Was waiting on it.
  • LindsC
    LindsC
    ✭✭✭
    I like the mounts and costumes this month. Especially the Ghost Horse one
  • playerkiller247
    playerkiller247
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously disappointed in this months showcase..
  • IndianaGeoff
    IndianaGeoff
    ✭✭✭
    Bought 15 crates, got 2 cats and more tattoos. Tattoos in a game where you are dressed 99.99% of the time.

Don't plan on getting any more.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

yeah, I'm someone who doesn't like the kind of stuff like the telvanni wizard robe. I like more regular stuff way more
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer