Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hair Dyes

Kittytravel
Kittytravel
✭✭✭✭✭
So starting out the Appearance Change Token is probably on the list of most overpriced junk in the crown store...

I cannot fathom paying 10$ to change my hair color, which is basically what is being asked of us.

I would like to see hair dyes added to the game as an item. With them would come a collections tab, much like the outfits and hairstyles, that allows you to change your hair color based on dyes you've collected.

It's not a hard request, after all the models are already in the game; it's the addition of an item that would change just your hair color. Each dye can run about 200 to 400 crowns depending on color (basic, complex, rare) and I feel most people would buy them simply for the fact that it allows you to permanently change your hair color at will. There are some times where I want to have brown hair, but with other outfits or costumes I'd prefer blonde or black hair.

Opinions? It is another cash sink by far, but it's always a much longer-lived one that half the junk that currently plagues the crown store and allows further character customization on the fly.
  • SecretJoy
    SecretJoy
    ✭✭✭
    So starting out the Appearance Change Token is probably on the list of most overpriced junk in the crown store...

I cannot fathom paying 10$ to change my hair color, which is basically what is being asked of us.

I would like to see hair dyes added to the game as an item. With them would come a collections tab, much like the outfits and hairstyles, that allows you to change your hair color based on dyes you've collected.

It's not a hard request, after all the models are already in the game; it's the addition of an item that would change just your hair color. Each dye can run about 200 to 400 crowns depending on color (basic, complex, rare) and I feel most people would buy them simply for the fact that it allows you to permanently change your hair color at will. There are some times where I want to have brown hair, but with other outfits or costumes I'd prefer blonde or black hair.

Opinions? It is another cash sink by far, but it's always a much longer-lived one that half the junk that currently plagues the crown store and allows further character customization on the fly.

I agree with all of this, except for the part where you can dye your hair any color that you've collected.

I would much rather see the option to dye your hair any color that is offered in character creation to all of the races.

I'm all for being unique, but I would hate to see a bunch of toons running around with pink/purple/green hair...total immersion breaker.
    Edited by SecretJoy on March 28, 2018 11:30PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SecretJoy wrote: »

I agree with all of this, except for the part where you can dye your hair any color that you've collected.

I would much rather see the option to dye your hair any color that is offered in character creation to all of the races.

I'm all for being unique, but I would hate to see a bunch of toons running around with pink/purple/green hair...total immersion breaker.

I'd prefer any hair color allowed in the game. I was devastated that I couldn't recreate my TES V: Skyrim Altmer Dovahkiin with her long black hair and had to settle for the darkest color available on Altmer: medium brown hair.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paging @Abeille :D
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • SecretJoy
    SecretJoy
    ✭✭✭

I'd prefer any hair color allowed in the game. I was devastated that I couldn't recreate my TES V: Skyrim Altmer Dovahkiin with her long black hair and had to settle for the darkest color available on Altmer: medium brown hair.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but that's what I meant :) I would like for every character to have access to every hair color that is available in character creation. That includes the ones for other races.
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree entirely. Implement like a barber shop or something.

Its grossly over priced for what it is. I also think hair dyes should be any colour from a predetermined set - i.e no alyeid gold, for example, there shouldn't be any reason why I can't as an Altmer dye my hair black.

Could tie it to ESO+ Subs as a benefit. Theres a bloody thread on it and this seems like an easy ask for ZoS to give.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, there really should be a way to change your hair color. The Appearance Change Token is a massive waste just for a simple change.

I think hair colors should be a type of bundle, if you will, like the hair styles and adornment packs. This way you can change it on the fly whenever you want and use whatever color regardless of race. I really do not understand why Nords cannot have dark brown hair...

Alternatively, which I highly doubt will ever happen, is a barber or hair dye station. You can buy hair and beard styles in the Crown Store that work for all races so I highly doubt that ZOS would ever add a way to change your hair color by talking to an NPC or whatever.
  • platonicidealgirlfriend

here's a book dating from 1661 detailing how to dye your hair red and green :smiley:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=nDYVAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA82&hl=pl&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just pissed off because I spent the 1000 Crowns on an appearance change to change my freaking hair color, selected my hair color very carefully, and once I got in game it showed up COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY. I don't mean "oh, that red looks a little more brown" or "oh, it's a little lighter/darker than it looked in the character creator." I picked red. Yet in game, it looks white with just the faintest of pink undertones if you zoom in all the way and look at it from just the right angle. I'm really angry about that. It's not cool.

So yeah, hair dye is necessary. Because spending essentially $10 to change your character's hair color and then have it not even turn out the color you picked is complete bull.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kiyakotari wrote: »
    I'm just pissed off because I spent the 1000 Crowns on an appearance change to change my freaking hair color, selected my hair color very carefully, and once I got in game it showed up COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY. I don't mean "oh, that red looks a little more brown" or "oh, it's a little lighter/darker than it looked in the character creator." I picked red. Yet in game, it looks white with just the faintest of pink undertones if you zoom in all the way and look at it from just the right angle. (. . .)

This dovetails with what I think is really deceptive lighting in the appearance change stage. They really should tweak it to a more neutral lighting that is more representative of what you will see in daylight.

I love this hair dye idea. I'd love an eye color pack, too.

✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Bubbulzz
    Bubbulzz
    ✭✭
    I'm just pissed off because I spent the 1000 Crowns on an appearance change to change my freaking hair color, selected my hair color very carefully, and once I got in game it showed up COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY. I don't mean "oh, that red looks a little more brown" or "oh, it's a little lighter/darker than it looked in the character creator." I picked red. Yet in game, it looks white with just the faintest of pink undertones if you zoom in all the way and look at it from just the right angle. (. . .)

This dovetails with what I think is really deceptive lighting in the appearance change stage. They really should tweak it to a more neutral lighting that is more representative of what you will see in daylight.

I totally agree, I would def love to be able to change my hair color at will and some different eye and lip colors would also be amazing. Honestly, I feel that makeup should be completely separate from other facial stuff like, war paints and tattoos. It is so annoying to apply a facial tattoo only to have it remove any makeup my toon has on. Ugh, If I didn't want the makeup, I wouldn't have put it on!
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say they need to open it up and just let every dye color used for armor or weapons be used for hair. Why? Because the same argument against this was used for weapon dying. "I don't want to see pink/purple/green swords in the game! Immersion!!!" I dunno about everyone else, but I've seen literally one pink resto-staff user and all of three blue/green swords that weren't that color because of the motif style used to make them. Everyone else seems to just make theirs silver, gold, or black.

Anyone using "immersion breaking" colors does it to fit their character aesthetic, so why does anyone even care? There's a glorious lack of rainbow people in this game, and what we do get is predominantly out of player control.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I totally agree, I would def love to be able to change my hair color at will and some different eye and lip colors would also be amazing. Honestly, I feel that makeup should be completely separate from other facial stuff like, war paints and tattoos. It is so annoying to apply a facial tattoo only to have it remove any makeup my toon has on. Ugh, If I didn't want the makeup, I wouldn't have put it on!

Yes! I have a friend that would definitely love to have freckles AND eyeshadow. Some of the style parlor items from the crown store layer with what is already on your character, so the foundation is already there, and I can't believe that giving people the ability to layer a few decals on their characters' faces would be that graphically intensive. The simplest solution would be to just give people the ability to add two or three "makeups." That's what a lot of character creators do.

✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely, and the little color icons apparently aren't representative of the colors, either. Because the icon I picked was also red. And yet, in-game, there we go, it's white hair. FML. 1000 Crowns flushed down the drain.
  • SpunkDiz
    SpunkDiz
    ✭✭
    Bringing this back - give us HAIR DYES please!!!
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fully agreed. Made a male Altmer a few days ago who was supposed to have very dark brown hair. The darkest color Altmer can get is for some reason tinted purple or maroon or something, though, so I ended up with a redhead. Again, FML.
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Link it to a quest to keep it interesting, but totally agree that hair / beard dye should be an option in the outfit section.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be nice. At least let us buy the hair colors in a pack like the hair styles. Sometimes I just want to change my look without paying ten bucks, cause yeah no, too much.
    Edited by Wildberryjack on May 27, 2019 4:29PM
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about making hair dye a high-end alchemy or provisioning recipe with a rare/expensive component like roe or even the aetherial dust? Or make it use some component from a vendor and suck some gold out of the economy?
  • Saeralyhn
    Saeralyhn
    I'd honestly hope for a "hair dye pack" the same way we got hairstyles and adornments - and then they could always offer more dyes as time goes on (although ideally not as one-time-use dye stamps). The main downside, however, would be that they'd have to edit every hairstyle to work for every colour - although most of that work is already done, since there's plenty of hairstyles which are shared by all races, and because of that, available in every colour in the character creator already.

Also, I agree it's weird that there's no black-haired Altmer. And I remember that if I used the Dominion hair on my black-haired Khajiit, my hair suddenly went from actually black, to having a dark blue glow - I get that that's probably a part of making their black seem more natural than black-black (much like how my IRL sister dyes her hair extremely dark brown for the same effect), but it did stop me from using that hair, so it might be worth looking into.
    #ToggleTheFlaps
  • Nox_Noir
    Nox_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    And let us put black hair on altmers already while at it
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Synnastix wrote: »
    What about making hair dye a high-end alchemy or provisioning recipe with a rare/expensive component like roe or even the aetherial dust? Or make it use some component from a vendor and suck some gold out of the economy?

There are many things that are cool to lock behind RNG grinding.

IMO, the dyeing of one's hair is not one of them. I actually consider a cosmetic pack along the lines of a paid item not only a smart business move, but downright respectful of player's time.
    Edited by CMDR_Un1k0rn on May 30, 2019 12:48PM
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Hollyniss
    Hollyniss
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah It'd be cool to be able to dye your characters hair any color (any natural color) instead of just the limited spectrum they have given us. For example different shades of blondes and reds for all races. Along with black for Altmer. Id like to be able to give my khajiit really pretty red hair like I've seen the npcs have (Raz, but I've seen more.) Even in Skyrim you could have all hair colors no matter the race (obviously Argonians were exempt.) It's just a little odd that you can have your character look like soul shriven, dro-m'athra, among others but different hair colors....perish the thought!
    Edited by Hollyniss on May 31, 2019 5:12AM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nox_Noir wrote: »
    And let us put black hair on altmers already while at it

And blonde hair on Imperials!

If cats can talk without lips and reptiles have mammary glands, surely it's not immersion breaking to assume hair dye could exist in Tamriel?
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

We've closed this thread as some of its information may no longer be relevant. Please feel free to start a new topic on this subject if you wish to discuss it further.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.