The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Suggestion for Research

Kyosji
Kyosji
✭✭✭
Ran into this issue yesterday. I was doing some research yesterday and realized I was accidentally researching some cloth gear instead of leather. My mistake, surely, but looking at the research tab, some of it you can't fully tell if it's leather or cloth. Could we see if we can have some better way of identifying it? Sure they do have names on them, but I've also noticed that since launch, cloth armor has names you'd expect for leather and vice versa (ex, cloth chest armor called a jerkin, and leather arm bands had a woven in front of it.)

Also, if we had a way to pause or cancel research, that would be helpful as well.
  • nzblustone
    nzblustone
    ✭✭
    What would be the benefit of pausing research?
    Cloths are listed first, scroll right for leathers...
    Founder of Imperial Traders Guild [NA] [PC-mac] • Guild WebsiteESO Forum Thread

Auron Lightblaze [Templar Heals] • Auron-khul [DK Tank] • Auronair [Sorc DPS] • Auronkha [NB DPS] • Brother Auron [Warden TBD]
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Benefit for pausing is to level something else when you made a mistake, and NOW I know cloth is listed first. The whole point is that it is not clearly stated.
  • Lime
    Lime
    Soul Shriven
    I think the point of pausing or canceling research is that you may decide to start research on whatever random items are in your inventory so that you are not wasting valuable research time, but then you find a specific piece of gear with a specific trait that you have been wanting to research so you want to start researching that right away.

I agree that it would be kind of nice for the cloth and leather to be more distinct in the crafting menu. However, if you keep in mind that it starts with cloth, all cloth is together, and it goes from cloth belt to leather chest you should be able to keep track of it all after a little time getting used to it.
  • nzblustone
    nzblustone
    ✭✭
    Okay so you don't just mean pause research you mean pause research and then research something else while its paused. I get that :) just pausing on its own would have no benefit though.
    Founder of Imperial Traders Guild [NA] [PC-mac] • Guild WebsiteESO Forum Thread

Auron Lightblaze [Templar Heals] • Auron-khul [DK Tank] • Auronair [Sorc DPS] • Auronkha [NB DPS] • Brother Auron [Warden TBD]
  • Usstan
    Usstan
    ✭✭
    I can see the benefit of being able to pause one items research and start on an other, but that would also require checks (and blocks) from starting researching another trait on the same type of item.

Implementing canceling of a research job though should be a lot easier, and then we as players could decide if we wanted to drop/loose the time already invested in the current research or wait for it to complete.

Now if this is your first or second trait on an item then it shouldn't matter much as it's then a max of 12 hours until it's completed.
  • Nadrak
    Nadrak
    I cannot see easy implementation of pausing, because I would put all items on research, to free my inventory slots.
    If the research would not destroy the item immediately, I would start research, pause it and then sold the item... :)
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care if it's cancelled. Me and my friends started characters we only use while playing together, that way they level up the same. I'm in charge of leather and alchemy, another friend is doing all blacksmithing and woodworking, and my other friend is doing cloth and enchanting. My whole issue is that I accidentally started a cloth research instead of the leather I had planned. Would be an easy fix if I could cancel the research and actually start one I wanted.
  • Stonebreath
    On a similar note I'd love a way to queue up multiple researches instead of wasting time when I can't log in because I'm sleeping or at work or something.
  • Skellan
    Skellan
    On a similar note I'd love a way to queue up multiple researches instead of wasting time when I can't log in because I'm
    sleeping or at work or something.

I would love this function .. third research is now taking a day and i still have a couple more to do in that set. Queuing them up would make things easier