Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Animation canceling

notyuu
notyuu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Before we start, i just want to mention that I'm aware of the existence of tutorial videos (despite most of them not teaching you how to actually do it, as evidenced by a number of players, myself included not knowing how to animation cancel)

Zos, if animation canceling is a feature, then try putting in a tutorial or something to teach people how to do it, alternatively, if it is not an intended feature then bloody fix it already.

The why is simple as there's only two outcomes
1: it's a feature, zos teaches people about it.suddenly average players can suddenly DPS at a reasonable level
2: it's a bug, zos patches it, exploiters ragequit

eaither way people stop whining about it (and i personally stop feeling inadquit as *** due to not being able to pull off ani cancel despite research and 4 months of non stop pratice, referance point, my dps is ~22K)
Edited by notyuu on March 13, 2018 8:00PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light attacking in between skills is now one of the tips in the Level Up Advisor, so I don't see why other things like bar swap canceling cant also be added for new players to learn.
  • dovakiin5574
    dovakiin5574
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely block-cancel. I weave heavy/light attacks depending on the build and use bar-swap to animation cancel the last skill on bar (For example, on bow bar for stamina warden --> lay down dots with light attack weaving, buff up the Bull Netch, cancel by bar swapping). For the light attack weave just do Light Attack > Skill > Light Attack > Skill and don't hesitate. Heavy Attacks require <1second hesitation for a complete Heavy Attack to proc which is why I normally (stamina) Bar Swap from Bow > Heavy Attack> Wait (I normally go like URRG for timing <1s) > Skill > Light Attack - only using one Heavy Attack per rotation for stat regen. Still getting over 30k dps with 0 block cancels. Its about the weaving more than the actual cancel. Block cancelling is for >40k dps try-hards in my opinion.
    PAPSMEAR - Positively Against Paws SMEAR campaign - Say YES to crown crates
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    @notyuu

About that 22k dps, i am pretty sure we can help you there. What is your CP, what build do you use? Do you have gold weapons? Do you use Potions?
    Edited by Alcast on March 13, 2018 8:14PM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTjhXLQXpac

My biggest complaint with animation cancelling is that the warden can't do it on a lot of skills, while the older classes can.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on March 13, 2018 8:20PM
  • XiDiabolismiX
    XiDiabolismiX
    ✭✭✭
    Don’t quote me on this but I am not sure that animation cancelling is as much of a game changer as it was in the past with the newer global cooldowns.

I find that just light/heavy weaving and bar swapping your skills at the right time will net you the same outcome as someone who cancels all of their skills.

Personally, the only time I ever “cancel” anything is after I swap to my front or back bar. I’ll swap after activating my last skill on each bar.
    Edited by XiDiabolismiX on March 13, 2018 8:21PM
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »
    Before we start, i just want to mention that I'm aware of the existence of tutorial videos (despite most of them not teaching you how to actually do it, as evidenced by a number of players, myself included not knowing how to animation cancel)

Zos, if animation canceling is a feature, then try putting in a tutorial or something to teach people how to do it, alternatively, if it is not an intended feature then bloody fix it already.

1: it's a feature, zos teaches people about it.suddenly average players can suddenly DPS at a reasonable level

eaither way people stop whining about it (and i personally stop feeling inadquit as *** due to not being able to pull off ani cancel despite research and 4 months of non stop pratice, referance point, my dps is ~22K)

Animation cancelling really isn't that hard, and a lot of people seem to think that it is something super mythical and impossible for the best players in the game.

Easiest way to start is with Dual Wield Heavies. Wind up a fully charged heavy attack, and then cast an ability right as you hit the target. This is cancelling the back end animation of your heavy attack. Once you get that down, you'll get a pretty good idea of how it all works.

More complicated stuff like block and bash cancels aren't needed to pull decent dps.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Animation canceling is not what's stopping you from getting good dps numbers, that's just a You problem
    Edited by Jhalin on March 13, 2018 8:27PM
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only think animation cancelling does is make you drain your resources faster. Its good for burst, but in the long haul, it evens out.

I can animation cancel, get awesome DPS. I'm now out of resources and have to heavy attack to get resources back, thereby lowering my average DPS.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Im pretty sure you can achieve the dps you need for in game content through other means. Though i guess i would technically do it on a mag sorc often by light weaving with shards. You can cancel most of the shards animation so they fire really fast rather than have a charge up.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not magic nor rocket science. Just cast a skill and do an action that overrides the animation. Like use an ability and immediately dodge roll
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im pretty sure you can achieve the dps you need for in game content through other means. Though i guess i would technically do it on a mag sorc often by light weaving with shards. You can cancel most of the shards animation so they fire really fast rather than have a charge up.

No, that's just the "insta-cast" proc you get when you crit with an attack. No one should EVER be casting crystal frags.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things that have spawned this lunar phase:

X Werewolves
    X Vampires
    ✓ Gangrenous Topics

signing off
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Animation canceling is a feature that allows players to react defensively to enemy attacks, even when they are in the middle of their own attack animation.

If you need to block, dodge, or swap weapons to activate a particular ability, you can do so without being hindered by your own attacks. This is so we don’t have a bunch of people standing around staring at a boss in a dungeon waiting for “the right moment” like Dark Souls. Instead, people are free to actively attack without fear of being one-shotted by a mechanic because they can immediately cancel their animation by reacting appropriately.
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m so sick of people acting like the only reason they can’t pull 40k dps is weaving/ani-canceling.

Proper weaving (clicking light attack before skills) in low ping will add 2-4K dps.

THATS IT!

Have you ever bar swapped immediately after casting a aoe skill? Congrats you ani-cancled.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PlagueSD wrote: »

No, that's just the "insta-cast" proc you get when you crit with an attack. No one should EVER be casting crystal frags.

My sorc doesnt crit anywhere close to 100% of the time, not even close to 50% but as soon as i cast the first and LA, every one after that is insta cast until i run out of magicka or stop pushing buttons.
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will gain some DPS with animation cancelling only if you already have knowledge about rotations. Without rotations animation cancelling is almost useless. And it's hard to know about rotations and not be aware of animation cancelling (though I agree it is possible).

I suppose many people already use animation cancelling instinctively. A lot of people know about animation cancelling. Others won't benefit from it. There are better ways to improve your DPS, and while doing so you will stumble on a tip about animation cancelling anyway.

ZOS already acknowledged it as a feature, by mentioning it in level advisor system. But a lot of ingame mechanics stay hidden from beginner level players for a few reasons.

There is no general proper way to do animation cancelling. From my own experience it is all about timings. You have to feel when the time is right to cancel. Because of this only vague guides can exist. All further development comes from how well you know your character skills
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on March 13, 2018 10:29PM
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Frags don't proc on crits. They have 35% chance to proc when you cast an ability that costs magicka.
  • Nihility42
    Nihility42
    ✭✭✭✭

If your DPS is bad, it's not because you can't animation cancel. It makes such a small difference in DPS that it barely matters. Where animation cancelling has more of an effect is in PVP.

So if you're just salty that you feel bad about your DPS, try looking at other ways to improve it. What gear do you use? What is your rotation? What is your CP allocation?

• SupremeRissole
    SupremeRissole
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I can animation cancel at 2mbps with 150ms + ping so can you
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I assume you meant "UNPROCCED Crystal Frags"?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a good guide to the mechanics of light attack weaving?

I've just (re)started playing a magblade, and press a light attack before every skill. But only 1/3 or so of those light attacks seem to actually hit. I'm basing that on Combat Metrics and also on the proc rates for Merciless Resolve, weapon enchantments, and other gear.
  • Solinur
    Solinur
    ✭✭✭
    I only noticed that the LA can get "swallowed" if you press the new skill too early. Yu can klcik the LA button pretty early while a skill is executed, but the new skill needs to come after the LA is actually starting to fire.

That's how it looks to me at the moment
    @Solinur Pact EU - PC (Solinur: Templar - Magicka DD, Moves-like-Günther: Sorcerer - Stamina DD, Kinara Sol: Templar - Stamina DD, )
    Addon Author