Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Filthy Casual: Tales of Woe & Despair with Occasional Triumphant Conquest

kylewwefan
kylewwefan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Yesterday’s random normal that was well in progress when I joined; I got the build shakedown and mechanics quiz for falkreath. Turns out, the group in there didn’t know what they were doing. The tank gets one shot and is screaming about 68k damage from what?!#? The 2H, Archer, Mage and Bone Collosus Boss.

I’m not pro, but I know a little bit. I had just ran this a few times the other day...as a tank, but now I’m DPS. The tank is running the Bone Collosus all over the place then dying for whatever reason and getting the rest of the group killed while scurrying to res...

I’m not sure why this chap kept dying and then screaming about it. I told him to block and hold boss in middle and should be fine as it was for me the day before.

There was an aire of animosity in the group and general lack of being coachable, so I had to dip.

As it was apparent there is a need for good tanks in the game, I swapped to my tank. Random daily got wayrest 2.

I don’t know what it is about these groups with max level nightblades but they’ve been terrible lately. I went in to round up the trash, got to other side of the bridge and they’re still fighting the first. Wait wait wait for them to finish it off and catch up....they’re still fighting trash. So I go back over there and healer cops an attitude and rolls out.

I can’t blame him. This DPS is atrocious. 5 minutes into this dungeon and still fighting beginning trash. It’s just rough. Pug life is really bad sometimes. I left too.

I find myself desperately looking for some decent action, put out zone chat: Tank LFG that doesn’t suck. The whispers start coming in. Not all pleasant. I agreed to tank NSO for a guy. He’s still putting group together as I port in and meet up with a couple DPS.

So we start working our way to the first boss. One tank. One healer. A few DPS. We start the fight. I think there was 7 or 8 in group by the time it was done. The leader is still trying to get more people in the group as we charge onward to the rest of the dungeon. The callouts were for kill Overchargers wherever they’re at. Smashed out the rock troll boss, Osara, the ads and the last boss...finished the whole thing with 9 players from craglorn pug in about 45 minutes.

Being real honest here, I’ve done SO a hundred times. It was just something to do today. Some of these guys were commenting about hair on arms standing up they were so excited to beat Osara and get this far in Sanctum and finish the whole thing seamlessly with 9 people and fast. It kind of gave me a tickle.

Yes. Really. There’s still some players out there that haven’t had the luxury of experiencing a decently run trial. Crazy right?
  • ErilAq
    ErilAq
    ✭✭✭
    It's not entirely crazy, most people will PuG then leave, and don't really run with any sort of trials guild, I would hazard that most are either terrified they can't pull 35k dps, or have 5% lower health, or anything else that will either
    A.) make them fear being called out or kicked
    B.) make them fear being in groups like the first two you described.

While I do not blame you for leaving, and I think pretty much anyone would leave in those situations, it's not mind blowing to think that most of the playerbase deals with either all negative or mostly negative group experiences. Remember, those players you dipped out on had a bad experience too, hell, it's probably a worse experience for them than it was for you. (not justifying, just stating a fact)
    Internet armchair warriors attack! Yayayayayayaaaaaah!!!!
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually sort of find these things fun. Or when I was still chain running dungeons I did. It gets sort of boring when everything goes right over and over again.

Some of the most fun I had was with some fellas/ladies? I got pulled into a dungeon half way through. Im on my templar healer. I zone in and the group is like, oh good a healer. You are our 5th one. At this point I know this is going to be entertaining. So In I go. They are stuck on a boss and as soon as the fight starts I instantly see why they have been through 5 healers. The bow dps is all over. Running here there and everywhere. The tank? Is doing some sort of half tank half run around the room with the boss, and the last dps is like a cat on catnip flying around the room. It is the single craziest time I have had in a dungeon.

I started with them half way through the dungeon and it still took us like 90 minutes to do the rest. I swear I revived each of them like 10 times. Everytime one of them would get mowed down I couldn’t help but laugh. It was 90 minutes of pure uncontrolled chaos. It was glorious.

Now I will say it was one of the older dungeons so as long as I kept reviving and they kept doing some damage we would get through it. So we weren’t getting mowed by some of the new dungeons that have specific mechanics you have to pull off, which probably would have been more frustrating. But still, sometimes it is just more fun when everything is going in the shitter.

And it is awesome what you can accomplish in a dungeon or trial with 1-2 people who know what they are doing and a handful of people just willing to listen and try even when they aren’t the best.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on March 6, 2018 3:14PM
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's plenty of good players out there. They just don't run in pug groups.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ErilAq wrote: »
    It's not entirely crazy, most people will PuG then leave, and don't really run with any sort of trials guild, I would hazard that most are either terrified they can't pull 35k dps, or have 5% lower health, or anything else that will either

While I do not blame you for leaving, and I think pretty much anyone would leave in those situations, it's not mind blowing to think that most of the playerbase deals with either all negative or mostly negative group experiences. Remember, those players you dipped out on had a bad experience too, hell, it's probably a worse experience for them than it was for you. (not justifying, just stating a fact)

^^^This, I don't often run trials. Not because I have any issue with them from a difficulty or performance perspective, but because of the elitists that tend to congregate in them. I would much rather spend 4 hours in a dungeon with a group with terrible DPS, than go to a trial just to be told I am not running the gear they think is best for me, regardless of whether or not I am adequately doing my job.
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »

^^^This, I don't often run trials. Not because I have any issue with them from a difficulty or performance perspective, but because of the elitists that tend to congregate in them. I would much rather spend 4 hours in a dungeon with a group with terrible DPS, than go to a trial just to be told I am not running the gear they think is best for me, regardless of whether or not I am adequately doing my job.

You know what is sad to me is they actively made the casual trial scene worse. When you could run trials to make money people who weren’t the best would be running groups. And people farming items would be leading. In most of the guilds I was in there was a constant asking for anyone at all to come help in this trial or that. They didn’t care what you knew. They had run the trial so many times with so many people they could explain each boss quickly and people learned as we went. Sure new people got carried for a time or two until they got it down, but over all it was fairly quick and painless.

Now I’m lucky if I hear one person a night asking for people to run a trial.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on March 6, 2018 4:50PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Later that very night someone posted in zone “giving 2 rosin to tank for HoF” so I volunteered my services once again. You wouldn’t believe that this mixed and matched motley crew would have ever been able to reign triumphant over top of the assembly general, but a mere 4 hours later it was finished. And I passed out.

I did learn some interesting tactics for low damage groups and yes there were several drops, wipes replacements; but eventually 8 players that had never beat HoF had their first Win and it did feel cool to be part of that.

It was as filthy Casual as could be. Players wearing sets that have floating balls around them...just because? Very few monster sets. Had a wrecking blow spam on deck.

They were having a blast. It was a fun atmosphere. I’d probably do it again.

The first boss was rough. After we beat that, it was far as any of them had got. The next boss was total chaos. The engine guardian boss....wouldn’t have been bad, if everyone went the same direction....still figured it out and smashed it.

It was getting pretty late at the triplets boss and there were some wipes and drops and replacements. I thaught for sure it was imploding and done with so I dipped out too. Well I was convinced to come back as others were swapping toons. Went in in and Smashed it right out.

It was late. Needed to one shot the final boss. I was beat, so the other tank Mained while I chilled out with the group. She died once, and I jumped in and saved it....was pretty incredible really, I thaught for sure it was done right there.

She got back up and main tanked the rest of the whole fight like a boss.

Never did get my rosin. I guess that’s ok. It was fun helping these players through.
  • CaineCarver
    CaineCarver
    ✭✭✭
    Dungeon Finder is basically a bathhouse for the unwashed peasant casuals. Yes there are the occasional good players in the pug groups but mostly the users are under-skilled, poor players that get angry someone else is not able to carry their dead weight.

Slam me if you want but the truth is the truth.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    animation1_by_vanellope_schweeetz-d60qlii.gif

we should all be so lucky to pug with you @kylewwefan ...sure sounds like - you make pugging fun :)
    Edited by geonsocal on March 6, 2018 7:10PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dungeon Finder is basically a bathhouse for the unwashed peasant casuals. Yes there are the occasional good players in the pug groups but mostly the users are under-skilled, poor players that get angry someone else is not able to carry their dead weight.

Spot the elitist! ;)

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @geonsocal thanks George. I’d run with you. I’m really not picky. I’ve becoming a big fan of normal lately though. Get a lot more done this way.
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    @geonsocal thanks George. I’d run with you. I’m really not picky. I’ve becoming a big fan of normal lately though. Get a lot more done this way.

This is where I ended up. I just don’t find combat as enjoyable as I did before the nerfs to sustain. And there really isn’t enough motivation to encourage me work my way back into doing vets. So when I do dungeons I do normals. less hassle and if you do it right you can cover bad players so no worries on finishing.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Healer
    Last nights shenanigans start with randoms on toons leveling undaunted. First one on got a group of CP42, CP 130 and CP 250 tank while I healed and did more damage than the 2 DD combined. This game straight hates me sometimes. After 7 or 8 minutes of fighting the beginning trash......had to dip.

DPS
    Since healing didn’t work out so well, swapped toons to StamBlade. Taking less chances this time put a trade guild group together minus tank and worked on pledges.

Much better. Ripped through FG1 HM Selene’s HM and nBloodroot all in 45 minutes. Had to que for a tank each time.

There were some accolades about how well things went, and only the last tank wanted to run more, but alas we were done.

Tank
    Working on Bolgrul undaunted mission saw guild post Scalecaller LF tank. I figured this is got to be better than questing on a tank. This group was led by a fairly well known PvPer...and he is a really good lead. He talked us through this dungeon like he’d done it a hundred times.

TBT I’ve had no luck even getting past the first boss, so it was quite the treat.

So we get to the last boss and it’s late af for me. Really want to finish this but I’m crispy fried at this point. I’m sure we would have had it in a few more pulls but I had to go bed. I was dying. Big thanks to scream for putting up with me and teaching this dungeon. It will be much better next time.

Other Observations

These groups had mag DK in them and their damage was sufficiently good. I’ve no idea why forums were going off over some changes? Git Güd maybe? The MagWarden may have been top tier questionable, but I assure you he is quite capable.

• griffkhalifa
    griffkhalifa
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm considering re-rolling my DPS back to a tank...my DPS numbers are sub-par even with good gear anyway, I just can't nail down rotations/animation cancelling. I just hate how boring being a tank can be...but on the plus side it's not hard to find a group.
    PS4 NA
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I never really did have my MagDK figured out good for Damage but she had Mages guild 10 so it didn’t bother me making her Tank. This little skill called balance is something else on a tank.

I’m not sure WTH is BiS for tanks anymore, but Alkosh/Tourgs/ Lord Warden seems pretty good.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i understand people that are low gear or don't have knowledge, nobody started the game with gear or knowing all abilities. And not everyone wants to become a 35k dps elitist.

But if u don't read the chat when i tell u to stop moving the boss, or when i tell u to block a bullet, and u refuse to communicate when i tell u to not spam execute on full hp boss, then u pretty much deserve to be kicked from the group, because we don't have to suffer for ur arrogance.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • dovakiin5574
    dovakiin5574
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I joined some guilds
    PAPSMEAR - Positively Against Paws SMEAR campaign - Say YES to crown crates
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never really did have my MagDK figured out good for Damage but she had Mages guild 10 so it didn’t bother me making her Tank. This little skill called balance is something else on a tank.

I’m not sure WTH is BiS for tanks anymore, but Alkosh/Tourgs/ Lord Warden seems pretty good.

Solid setup, there is no Bis for tanks. All gear is situational. Earthgore is really fricking strong, give it a try sometime.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm going back to the thread subject here - Filthy Casual - to admit that as far as many players are concerned, I am and will always be one, even though I am closing in on 1000cp and have been playing 30+ hours every week for 2.5 years.

Why? Because I have never made an indestructable tank, have never dealt more than 20k damage on a test dummy on a DPS and cannot always keep everyone in my group alive on a healer. I also have never been in vMA and do not run trials (hence have very little BiS gear).

Do I still have fun - heck yeah!!
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spot the elitist! ;)
    Yes but an kernel of truth, .
    Pugs tend to be lower quality and far worse they tend to fall apart after an two wipes.
    Last is probably the primary issue.
    All but 2 pf my many pugs of normal Scalecaller Peak has put me at the second last boss. First was on an earlier boss, other was an guild run, that was nice as we cound do quest,
    The plague boss is not even hard on normal, yes it took an good number of wipes to figure out the mechanic, we thought we should interact with the npc.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tank

Pugged the daily’s from guilds and zone chat yesterday. Got a solid group and rocked the regular Vet CoA2HM and Banished Cells...I failed the group on BC HM. For the life of me couldn’t keep aggro on 4 daedroths as it repeatedly put me into bubbles. Maybe I was only supposed to keep 2? Can’t remember

Later that night

DPS
    Got a really solid group. In fact we would have had a no death run in CoA2HM but My dumb self pulled the fire maw while the tank was outside the room messing around. Still got him to %30 before wipe.

In my head I heard Hiath mutter something about that was definitely your healers fault.

Banished cells was uneventful and the tank and healer dropped before Falkreath Hold.

Other Observations

What is it with healers rocking green balls? I also think it would be better for healer to use Destro Ult or meteor .
    Edited by kylewwefan on March 8, 2018 3:12PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DPS

Sunday morning Group Finder Random Daily landed me the first Undaunted Daily pledge. Selenes Web. We burned through the Hardmode super quick and easy, then continued on to FG1 which was also a breeze. Then the DLC daily ICP with a different healer each time. It was surprisingly easy with this group. All 3 hardmodes. I was a bit concerned about doing ICP HM but our group burn was ridiculous. No wipes, but a few deaths from accidental portals. The recovery’s from that were handled surprisingly well.

Observations

Loving the outfits, but it makes OG players a bit apprehensive they can’t tell anything about you’re character by looks anymore.

As always, super high DPS makes challenging content trivial.

There’s way too many ads in ICP.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, it’s been awhile but had a really bad ESO night. So tired of crafting writs on 10 toons.

DPS

Random Fang Lair! Yay! Everything is going fine til second boss Guar Tiger and Bear with some mad dogs thrown in for fun. 2 wipes and it became apparent none of us knew what we were doing. The awesome blue ball healer gets snippy. This isn’t fun. Just logged out.

Tank

Well, got random dark shade. The DPS is eager to get some action. I’m alright with this. 15 minutes later after beating the beginning trash and the first boss, someone initiates Vote to kick. Then the other DPS. Well, our lovely replacements were a beautiful black Werewolf and an executioner spamming imbecile. The healer says I’m done and rolls out. So I had to follow.

Other thaughts

I’m retiring from veteran group content. It causes way more heartache than reward.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guldmate asked if some wanted to do dungeon, I thought he said Vault of Madnes.
    It vas vCOA, has done it once with an very good group, he was an sorcerer tank with cp180 without ebon.
    I was on sorcerer healer, would preferred the templar here, hardest sorc had healed was darkshade 2, se her more as an heal / DD combo.
    We got to the last boss with the two random but here it stopped got two good guildmates and beat it.
    Tank did not get the medium helmet he needed.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • IndianaGeoff
    IndianaGeoff
    ✭✭✭
    Tanks are key. Zero doubt. A skilled tank and ok healer (yea... that's me) can get the job done.

I don't know much about this game, I am still new. But I know one thing. I am not experienced and skilled enough to be a so so tank.

And as said above, if you are DPS and you cannot stand between me and the tank... I will not cry when you die. Or you can stand in one area, not too far and I'll stand behind you. Do that and you will get HOT, side heals, buffs and hits of stamina. If not, hopefully the other DPS can rez you after he finds the strange corner you died in. Naturally, there are occasional fights that are different, but that will work in 90% of time. If you run around, at least run with the other DPS so I can try to hit you and the tank at the same time. But I am healing the tank because if he is doing a decent job, he is keeping me alive.
    Edited by IndianaGeoff on April 10, 2018 3:51PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’ll still run randoms. But not on vet anymore. I should have stopped doing it a long time ago.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll still run randoms. But not on vet anymore. I should have stopped doing it a long time ago.

with the ability to upgrade blue jewelry coming soon - i'm really looking forward to trying to start soloing the daily pledges on normal...

some will be a little tough to complete - but, being able to collect useful gear will be a big incentive to try...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I always appreciate a good and real tank as a healer in dungeons. I get a DPS with a 2Her queuing as a tank because they "can just dps through it" and dont taunt anything and it makes my life extremely difficult. I have to work really hard to keep me and the dps alive which is hard when you have melee mobs beating on you and AOEs you cant get out of because you are surrounded. DPS end up dying because i cant get to them. And i burn all my resources trying to keep myself alive until someone gets the damn mobs off me.

The tank is beating on the boss, kiting and self healing and then gets annoyed because " he had to do all the work" and carry the group. When if he would just do his role, we would get through the dungeon a lot faster.

Good tanks are very rare in this game.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Grouped up with some guildies yesterday for a random normal. Got vollenfall.

I hate the map structure in that dungeon. Hard to tell where you’re at and where you need to go. Anyways, with 4 DPS of various level, we burned it to the ground in 10 minutes. Kind of fun.

Spent more time trying to figure out where to go.

Later I helped some friends farm WGT. Also with 4 DPS. I used to hate this dungeon for pug difficulty. It’s really not bad with a good group.
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »

Who in their right mind agreed and awesomed this post?
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tank

Pugged the daily’s from guilds and zone chat yesterday. Got a solid group and rocked the regular Vet CoA2HM and Banished Cells...I failed the group on BC HM. For the life of me couldn’t keep aggro on 4 daedroths as it repeatedly put me into bubbles. Maybe I was only supposed to keep 2? Can’t remember

Later that night

DPS
    Got a really solid group. In fact we would have had a no death run in CoA2HM but My dumb self pulled the fire maw while the tank was outside the room messing around. Still got him to %30 before wipe.

In my head I heard Hiath mutter something about that was definitely your healers fault.

Banished cells was uneventful and the tank and healer dropped before Falkreath Hold.

Other Observations

What is it with healers rocking green balls? I also think it would be better for healer to use Destro Ult or meteor .

what do you mean by green balls? the twirling things around the gear, or the floating shiny balls that all move towards the group? then bigger balls that move towards the group, are undaunted skill that gives you a synergy to click on and restores your stamina or magika. they are also not an ultimate, its just regular undaunted skill that with sustain nerf is pretty much a given for healers (yes, even templars and wardens, even though they both have class skills that restore resources to the group). plus one of their morphs heals. not for much but enough to function as a very nice top off HOT.

the balls aroudn the gear that look like ebon, but blue I think they are? I don't have that full set, its sanctuary or one of those other healy sets, cannot remember which one. my main healer is running ye olde wormcult/spc combo, so I don't get pretty gear effects.

in any case, I'm that filthy casual so many of you dread. my dps is low, my healing is decent but not amazing and my tanking is... well... i more or less gave up on having any semblance of control over trash as most groups don't give me a chance to grab and gather them, and just focus on holding/debuffing/interupting bosses

I do try not to be too much of a hindrance though, you know not standing in red, not running around like headlesss chicken, try to follow mechanics, etc.

some of the groups I had as a healer though... oh lordie.... i mean... I suppose they are good practice :P having to heal, tank and dps simultaneously :P
    Edited by Linaleah on April 14, 2018 4:48AM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"